Is anyone else a bit bored of Jimquisition?

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Barbas said:
Popido said:
I'm happy he is associated with #GG now.
Incessantly, annoyingly and still incorrectly.
Well, what can you do. Everyone who tries to not pick sides gets immediately jumped by Gamergate haters. I wish they could all have a civil conversation about it, but what I've seen, it seems to be impossible to some.

Jimmy had already lost his edge, so while I think his decision to quit was understandable, he should have looked for another idea to dive into.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Haerthan said:
The reason why I believe YOUR, and every other GGer, opinion is wrong is because it is based on a lack of evidence.
Oh for Pete's sake. You want evidence, here it is:

http://gamergateharassment.tumblr.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2iwf40/compilation_of_harassmentinsultsdoxxing_from/

http://techraptor.net/content/stop-harassment-surrounding-gamergate

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/twitter_is_broken_gamergate_proves_it.2.html

That took all of five minutes to find. Google is your friend.

Both sides are guilty of harassment and death threats. I would have thought that was obvious by now.

Back on-topic, I got bored of the Jimquisition too. It's been treading water lately without providing much in the way of new content. The same old song and dance about crappy Early Access Steam games, Ubisoft being stupid and "harassment is bad, mmkay?"

Mr. Sterling may just be in a rut. Happens to lots of content providers and entertainers. Perhaps he just needs to take a break or broaden his gaze towards other topics, like <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-EuyU2hb8>superfluous upgrade systems or <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawk-CtKvl4>the oft-overlooked Japanese indie game market (why yes, I am a fan of Super Bunnyhop. Why do you ask?).

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
The Lunatic said:
Haerthan said:
Please show me where he is hypocritical. Please do. And btw, saying that harrassment is bad from both sides, isn't. Show it to me in the sutff he put out in the Jimqusition.
I think his treatment of the developers of Uh... whatever the awful game he was last complaining about was, Slaughtering Grounds? Or something, was pretty hypocritical.

I mean, on the one hand, he's denouncing harassment, on the other, he's then harassing the developers by making like three videos on a subject that barely needed one and directing the ire of his fans against them.

Their forums were flooded with people calling them terrible things, wishing them death and other lovely delights.

Jim however, didn't seem willing to say anything about this harassment he had caused.

To me, that's hypocritical. He could have done it in a much better way, he could have not singled out a certain develop and made a general video, instead he took glee in tearing apart a single small indie team and indirectly putting a big target for harassment on them.
No, harassment is continued aggressive behavior against a non-participating target, meanwhile every video (after his first quick look vid which was fair) was a response to an attack BY THE DEV. When self-defense is considered harassment, you need to reevaluate your values. Jim called them on their lies, shoddy practices and various other immoral conduct. He didn't call down viewer aggression until they did a copyright strike as an attempt to stifle his free speech under false pretense.

He never asked them to make death threats and has said before that they are never acceptable. You are trying to blame Jim for what other people do. Learn your lore.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
Haerthan said:
The reason why I believe YOUR, and every other GGer, opinion is wrong is because it is based on a lack of evidence.
Oh for Pete's sake. You want evidence, here it is:

http://gamergateharassment.tumblr.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2iwf40/compilation_of_harassmentinsultsdoxxing_from/

http://techraptor.net/content/stop-harassment-surrounding-gamergate

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/twitter_is_broken_gamergate_proves_it.2.html

That took all of five minutes to find. Google is your friend.

Both sides are guilty of harassment and death threats. I would have thought that was obvious by now.

Back on-topic, I got bored of the Jimquisition too. It's been treading water lately without providing much in the way of new content. The same old song and dance about crappy Early Access Steam games, Ubisoft being stupid and "harassment is bad, mmkay?"

Mr. Sterling may just be in a rut. Happens to lots of content providers and entertainers. Perhaps he just needs to take a break or broaden his gaze towards other topics, like <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-EuyU2hb8>superfluous upgrade systems or <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawk-CtKvl4>the oft-overlooked Japanese indie game market (why yes, I am a fan of Super Bunnyhop. Why do you ask?).
I never said that the anti-GG are squeaky clean. The stuff you pointed me too should never happen. Both sides are guilty. Thanks for that. Besides the onus is on the accuser to bring proof of his allegations.

Edit: I apologize for the idiots on my side. I need to find them and bring them back to the light.

Edit2: I wanted evidence of so called "unethical behaviour" by the game media. Which has not yet popped up. Breitbart still no no

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Let's just ignore the rest of the bullshit in this thread and answer the question. I'm not bored of it yet. I will admit there is a high level of Jimquisition's aimed either at Ubisoft or at shitty Steam games, but it's not like it's unwarranted. That's simply what's providing the most talking fodder.

I'm looking forward to his worst of 2014 list, since I have no idea how he's going to handle that without making it into a top 50.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
snekadid said:
The Lunatic said:
Haerthan said:
Please show me where he is hypocritical. Please do. And btw, saying that harrassment is bad from both sides, isn't. Show it to me in the sutff he put out in the Jimqusition.
I think his treatment of the developers of Uh... whatever the awful game he was last complaining about was, Slaughtering Grounds? Or something, was pretty hypocritical.

I mean, on the one hand, he's denouncing harassment, on the other, he's then harassing the developers by making like three videos on a subject that barely needed one and directing the ire of his fans against them.

Their forums were flooded with people calling them terrible things, wishing them death and other lovely delights.

Jim however, didn't seem willing to say anything about this harassment he had caused.

To me, that's hypocritical. He could have done it in a much better way, he could have not singled out a certain develop and made a general video, instead he took glee in tearing apart a single small indie team and indirectly putting a big target for harassment on them.
No, harassment is continued aggressive behavior against a non-participating target, meanwhile every video (after his first quick look vid which was fair) was a response to an attack BY THE DEV. When self-defense is considered harassment, you need to reevaluate your values. Jim called them on their lies, shoddy practices and various other immoral conduct. He didn't call down viewer aggression until they did a copyright strike as an attempt to stifle his free speech under false pretense.

He never asked them to make death threats and has said before that they are never acceptable. You are trying to blame Jim for what other people do. Learn your lore.
That would be asking too much my friend.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Popido said:
Barbas said:
Popido said:
Well, what can you do. Everyone who tries to not pick sides gets immediately jumped by Gamergate haters. I wish they could all have a civil conversation about it, but what I've seen, it seems to be impossible to some.

I don't know whether you simply misunderstood what I said or were being deliberately disingenuous, but it doesn't matter which - I'm too tired to continue this. This thread concerns the content of The Jimquisition, not GamerGate, which has its own thread and which Jim deliberately decided not to become associated with. Take my advice and don't derail it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Lunatic said:
Just wondering: do you know for a fact Jim was aware of this at the time? The moderators were very quick to purge and ban people and I know first hand it was hard to get a complete picture of what was going on. Although:

You seem to be using "harassment" fairly loosely, since you've also considered Jim's actions harassment. However, why is Jim responsible for the actions of his fans? Did he make some sort of call to action for harassment? Does simply not telling people not to do something now count as compliance? When does John Bain get asked to apologise for his fans? Or Yahtzee? Or anyone else who doesn't specifically direct their fans?

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
And yet another thread has fallen victim to the Anti-GG vs GG war.

Can people just get over it already. The GG side achieved nothing but harassment, and the anti-GG side achieved nothing but harassment.
I Swear the GG shitstorm was the high point of many people's lives, because it afforded them the perfect pretense for more smug shit flinging than they knew what to do with. And now that it's more or less over, people seem to want to re-kindle the embers in any thread that's even tangentially related, along with many that aren't.

Can we stop this madness and leave it all behind?!

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Barbas said:
Popido said:
Barbas said:
Popido said:

I don't know whether you simply misunderstood what I said or were being deliberately disingenuous, but it doesn't matter which - I'm too tired to continue this. This thread concerns the content of The Jimquisition, not GamerGate, which has its own thread and which Jim deliberately decided not to become associated with. Take my advice and don't derail it.
Not my intention. I just noted how it was already derailed. I don't understand what you're implying I misunderstood, so let's drop it on that note.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
The Lunatic said:

That's rich.

Because I didn't see anyone jumping on Eron Gjoni for all the harassment HE caused.

On, no, that must be because he's a sacred cow who is above any and all criticism, and should be praised and lauded as a hero and savior and messiah for being the Founding Father of GamerGate.

Silly me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FirstNameLastName said:

Can people just get over it already. The GG side achieved nothing but harassment, and the anti-GG side achieved nothing but harassment.
I Swear the GG shitstorm was the high point of many people's lives, because it afforded them the perfect pretense for more smug shit flinging than they knew what to do with. And now that it's more or less over, people seem to want to re-kindle the embers in any thread that's even tangentially related, along with many that aren't.

This is probably not the message you want to spread if you want it to end. Just saying.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shanicus said:
I haven't kept up with Jim since he left the Escapist, but I still enjoy his content when I see it. It has been a bit repetitive topic-wise, but given the state of the games industry right now that kinda makes sense. Hard to do fresh, new, interesting topics when the big topics are just 'Ubisoft did something absurdly stupid again, Greenlight still a shitty idea'.
Well, long as you're trying to be topical. But I sort of wonder, because of that, if Jim would get crap from the same people if he decided to do shows that weren't so topical.

It really isn't surprising, though, that we're seeing a dearth of different topics in a year where it's basically been the same four or five things happening over and over. Ubisoft nuking the fridge wouldn't be so much of a topic if news headlines weren't basically "Ubisoft screws up," "Steam has shitty games," "Latest game can't do 1080p on consoles," and so on.

There was, at least, the Sonic episode. Of course, even that deteriorated into that topic pretty quickly, including contributions from people who post here. But some people mixed it up by...complaining that he was talking about the subject....

*headdesk*

Christ, why did I look at the comments?

Alatar The Red

Aug 10, 2012
These days jim's videos (and the opinions in those videos) rarely have sort of nuance or looking at things from different perspectives.

It's basically Jim making a long simplistic rants against half strawman arguments and then ending it with "thank god for me". Also full of the extremely tiresome (especially these days) snark.

It might be the whole point of the jimquisition as a show, however it's not really the right way to discuss something more complicated than "UBI's DLC bad mkay". For that the format works pretty well. But for anything where you might have perfectly valid points from clearly differing views, no.

I really think people would enjoy watching more discussion (between people of different opinions) style video game content. The single man/woman rants (both in jimquisition style shows as well as morality/political style reviewing) are getting quite tired at this point. They come off as preachy and almost nothing constructive gets done.

How about more hardball interviews, panel discussions, debates etc. and less yelling solo at an audience (which is 99% likely preaching to the choir).

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Alatar The Red said:
These days jim's videos (and the opinions in those videos) rarely have sort of nuance or looking at things from different perspectives.

It's basically Jim making a long simplistic rants against half strawman arguments and then ending it with "thank god for me". Also full of the extremely tiresome (especially these days) snark.

It might be the whole point of the jimquisition as a show, however it's not really the right way to discuss something more complicated than "UBI's DLC bad mkay". For that the format works pretty well. But for anything where you might have perfectly valid points from clearly differing views, no.

I really think people would enjoy watching more discussion (between people of different opinions) style video game content. The single man/woman rants (both in jimquisition style shows as well as morality/political style reviewing) are getting quite tired at this point. They come off as preachy and almost nothing constructive gets done.

How about more hardball interviews, panel discussions, debates etc. and less yelling solo at an audience (which is 99% likely preaching to the choir).
That'd be great too. Drown Out from Yahtzee and Gabe is great, even if they don't really talk with differing opinions all that often.

Heck, even No Right Answer is great in that they at least try to have opposite opinions on certain subjects and present decent arguments.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shanicus said:
And why would you read the comments? Why would you do that to yourself?
What you said made me think about it, which is why I responded. Would people complain about the shift in topic? I mean, that's not all I found, and it's not like everyone said it, but dear God, the other comments.

But yeah, I agree that Jim has managed to become so polarising that he doesn't even need to say anything to make people upset. It's a baffling phenomenon to me.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
FirstNameLastName said:

This is probably not the message you want to spread if you want it to end. Just saying.
Oh, I know. Like all people on internet forums I don't actually expect to wield any power with my words, I just like the sound of my own voice, or rather, look of my own text...
And I'm aware that nothing can stop this continued GamerGate shitstorm, short of the sun collapsing in on itself and destroying the entire solar system.

Depulcator

Mar 5, 2012
I do like him, his opinions are usually in line with mine, but hes someone talking all angry/snarky about video games on the internet. So he would be easy to replace if he stopped/quit.