Is anyone else a bit bored of Jimquisition?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FirstNameLastName said:
Oh, I know. Like all people on internet forums I don't actually expect to wield any power with my words, I just like the sound of my own voice, or rather, look of my own text...
And I'm aware that nothing can stop this continued GamerGate shitstorm, short of the sun collapsing in on itself and destroying the entire solar system.
Eh. You're probably correct. It's almost like the new Godwin's Law. And I've done it a few times myself. Or a few thousand. Well, count how many posts I have and multiply that by five. >.>

Also, this topic may have made it unavoidable. The big issue with Jim seems to come down to his coverage of Gamergate, and thus the beast has already been invoked. I mean, I'm personally more interested in this notion that Jim is pro-harassment or whatever, or that Jim is uniquely responsible for controlling his audience's actions. At least, in this case.

But even Jim's Jimqusition on Sonic Boom has a fair share of GG comments in the comments section, as I discovered after talking to Shanicus. So maybe it is unavoidable. Especially when talking about Jim.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Eh, I think his comedic timing is still the same as ever though he has repeated himself a few times. I haven't really agreed with Jim on a lot of issues as of late, most of which have involved the curation of Steam. The rest of it had to do with his YouTube channel feeding off of his show.
I loathed how he handled the Slathering Grounds situation. Yet that hasn't stopped me from watching his content it just made me more aware of how human he is and how overzealous he can be at times.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
I love the show, Jimquisition.

I don't love Jim Sterling, I don't know the guy personally enough to make a statement like that, and I can never tell if his classy sort of gentleman arrogance is part of the show or if he's like that off-camera.

There've been highs and lows during his show. That being said, I've never felt that it was personally Jim's fault, it was always the subject matter. More often than not everyone would ***** about something for ages, like EA did this, or Ubisoft did that, and that subject would go on for more than a month. He's just like us, we ***** until it's old news, or at least until the problem is sorted.

Regardless, I've always enjoyed Jimquisition. It's just as interesting as the shows hosted by Totalbiscuit, Angry Joe, Junglist, and so on.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
This thread exemplifies why GamerGate won't end, there is so much stupidity and apologism for the actions of hypocrites.

"Jim is a hypocrite."
"Jim can do no wrong, there's no way he's a hypocrite."
And then talking past each other.

Or people like IceForce calling a man a harassment enabler because he posted about abuse he received from his girlfriend.

The only reason GamerGate is at all associated with harassment is because there are those that want it to be associated with harassment. The same thing happened when people tried to argue against Anita, it's happening again here because some people demonize those who disagree with them....Which in-turn makes those accused of harassment begin to demonize their accusers....Which make no mistake, I am well aware of how I sound right now (crazy).

It boils down to disagreements and passive aggressive anger.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Ultimately I think he's quite hyperbolic and I find that a bit irritating, the show is also poorly suited to a weekly format because he kind of has to invent things or repeat things.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I stopped watching after he "chose" a side during the whole...thing that shall not be named...but the show was getting a bit long in the tooth for a while before that happened.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Jimothy. I just disagree with him on some things. He used to make the ride toward that inevitable disagreement somewhat entertaining though.

I wish the hypocritical git luck in his endeavors and, even though I've come to feel quite "meh" about his content, there's still a dragon dildo-shaped hole in my heart where he used to reside and episodes like Desensitized to Violence will continue to resonate with me.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Don't watch Jimquisition for humour and often I'm disagreeing with him.

That is mainly on the social issues that have dominated the last year or so. While it is nice to hear for calls of sanity and for people on both sides to be reasonable, my main issues with those episodes aren't him or his arguments , it's that I'm just trying to pay less and less attention to such issues when I'm on the internet since I began to mull over issues of obsessive thinking and social media in the last couple months. I think it would do everyone a lot of good and reduce a ton of anxiety to do the same and just stay off of sites like tumblr and ignore related news to the issue.

I do watch his squirty plays, but only after run out of other things to watch. They're where he needs to learn to add humour or at the very least talk about interesting things even if he's just making boring things sound interesting like TB can do. His recent ramblings about what he's doing playing D&D and other RL things in his life during squirty plays is kind of annoying because it's not what anyone is watching those videos for.

I did enjoy his rage playing I Am Bread, all the more so because he opened the video by dismissing the game as youtube fodder and would be as challenging as most of those games are only to keep failing and let it get to him. I think that bit of rage actually does a lot for that game since it shows it's more than just floating on it's gimmick alone.

As for Slaughtering Grounds, that was entirely the developer putting a gun to his own head and pulling the trigger. As much as I could imagine him being annoyed at the video, all it was was Jim incessantly giggling and pointing out obvious flaws. Had the dev just left it alone it would have passed over quietly as just another crappy game Jim's covered. The only funny things that happened were the little immature and petty things the dev did during his meltdown both in and outside of his own videos. All Jim did was put up more videos giggling to give him more ammo to shoot himself with and wasn't himself all that entertaining.

One thing I have found too is that all of his videos since he left this place have become more sedate and casual as if he's talking to you during an everyday conversation and not putting on a presentation to inform and entertain like he used to. My gut tells me he's doing the very opposite he should be now that he's on his own and still starting off where he needs to grab as many people's attention as possible and make himself stand out as being better than his time on the Escapist.

I do wonder if this problem is due to him now becoming his own employer and the problems which inevitably come from not having a boss and deadline to keep pressing you to be active and not slip up.

I wish the hypocritical git luck in his endeavors and
I wish he'd drop the arrogant "Thank God for Me" act finally. In small doses that schtick can be funny, but what I've learn from such acts trolling and being trolled for 15 years is that little bits of a persons personality come through when they joke like that. Him doing it so much shows his arrogance isn't all a joke though I do know it's just a manifestation of your typical British attitude of being humble and self-deprecating on the surface while hiding a huge ego just underneath and is just the usual, subtle way Brits express their egotism, but he seems to over do it too often to make it endearing.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
IceForce said:
Because I didn't see anyone jumping on Eron Gjoni for all the harassment HE caused.
He had both a restraining order and a gag order placed on him if I recall correctly.

Even Wikipedia says he's a nasty harasser. He's probably been upgraded to domestic terrorist considering the extremely low standards the page has.

He is as much a victim as anyone else in this whole mess.

By the way guys I'm sorry for opening Pandora's box.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
*ignores the hashtag topic that is worthless as a discussion, especially to this thread*

I don't see how his show has changed any since leaving Escapist. I still find him to be entertaining and also pretty good at exposing the rabid fan complaints as a bunch of useless drivel.
I also love listening to his Podquisition that includes Gavin Dunne (Mr. Miracle of Sound himself) who is absolutely hilarious and also Laura Kate (who is also hilarious).
Seems to me the status quo of Jim Fucking Sterling, son is still just as it always was. Haters gonna hate, the rest of us who enjoy his work are still pretty well enjoying it and the fence sitters are getting splinters.

I'd add in a segment of pleading for people to stay on topic but they can't get off their soapboxes long enough to give a rats ass so why should I?

Captcha: dog's dinner

Yes Inglip, the derailment of the thread does remind me of the smell of dog food in a sense... after its been consumed and excreted.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
To be honest, I used to really like Jim. Then i started following him on Twitter and listened to some episodes of the Destructoid podcast and that put me off him somehow. He just doesn't come across as the type of guy I'd like in real life, and the Willem Defoe impressions just got painfully irritating.

I still watch the Jimquisition semi-regularly, but I find that not only are his topics repetitive (Ubisoft, shitty indie gamer, social justice issue, rinse repeat), but the content of individual videos tend to be very repetitive. It's like for many topics, he only has about 1 minute of content which he then needs to spread to five, so he starts saying the same thing in slightly different ways over and over again.

The last point isn't his fault, but the comments sections irritate me too. He seems to have a fan-base who will just agree 100% with everything he says and be all "TGFJ" (and catch phrases irritate me anyway) and jump to his defence whenever he does something dumb - which he does fairly often.

In his defence, he has shown willingness to take on board criticism, to apologise and to change. I disagree with him on the whole #GG thing and the whole doxxing thing but when people find years old tweets that he has since apologised for, they're being unfair. I just get the impression that more recently, he's been believing his own hype. Hell the guy gets over $10k a month on Patreon - it's likely that anyone would get cocky with that sort of support.

And now off topic for a second.

DizzyChuggernaut said:
He had both a restraining order and a gag order placed on him if I recall correctly.

Even Wikipedia says he's a nasty harasser. He's probably been upgraded to domestic terrorist considering the extremely low standards the page has.

He is as much a victim as anyone else in this whole mess.

By the way guys I'm sorry for opening Pandora's box.
Yeah, I think if the genders were reversed, in large part the sides would be reversed too, which is sad. There are a bunch of people calling him an abuser with no evidence whatsoever and when people point out the evidence he presented, they often accuse him of being obsessive, saying it's weird that he saved all of the messages (even though FB does it automatically) or that he displayed stalkerish behaviour. And apparently now criticising someone for cheating is slut shaming. I'm sure the likes of Tiger Woods and Bill Clinton would be happy to know that. Eron also lost his job I believe - but nah, nothing happened to him.

Speaking as someone who has had a couple of friends go through something similar, it actually makes me quite angry that people would rather allow their tribalism to override their support for victims. Seeing a fun loving friend struck with fear everytime his phone rang because he doesn't know if he's done something wrong like taking too long to respond to a text that day and then watching how he couldn't have a normal relationship with women for years after that relationship ended - or seeing how my Uncle was separated from his family because of lies told by his manipulative wife, so that he never spoke to his father again before he died, and then to see said wife take the children away and refuse him access to see them and the pain that caused, (even though her grown children from a previous relationship backed him and never talk to her), I really feel that we need to get better at understanding emotional abuse and how it can be just as bad as physical abuse.

I don't agree with everything in [a href="http://thingofthings.wordpress.com/2014/11/17/zoe-quinn-is-an-abuser"]this blog post[/a] but I think it explains the dynamics pretty well and it's an anti-GG pro SJ source.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Alatar The Red said:
These days jim's videos (and the opinions in those videos) rarely have sort of nuance or looking at things from different perspectives.

It's basically Jim making a long simplistic rants against half strawman arguments and then ending it with "thank god for me". Also full of the extremely tiresome (especially these days) snark.

It might be the whole point of the jimquisition as a show, however it's not really the right way to discuss something more complicated than "UBI's DLC bad mkay". For that the format works pretty well. But for anything where you might have perfectly valid points from clearly differing views, no.

I really think people would enjoy watching more discussion (between people of different opinions) style video game content. The single man/woman rants (both in jimquisition style shows as well as morality/political style reviewing) are getting quite tired at this point. They come off as preachy and almost nothing constructive gets done.

How about more hardball interviews, panel discussions, debates etc. and less yelling solo at an audience (which is 99% likely preaching to the choir).
I honestly prefer Angry Joe at this point to cynics like Jim. Joe at least still seems to have a passion for games, and is able to see the psitives and negatives in things. I think hearing 100% negativity and cynicism is just getting a bit old, especially when no solutions are given. It's all a bit 2008, AVGN type thing. After so much of this kind of "ANGRY VIDEO GAMER" content being produced it's just worn incredibly thin over the course of 8 years now.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I like him just the same. Still watch his Squirty Plays and Jimquisition. Especially loves it when he finds another trash Steam game.

Ain't his fault that the gaming industry likes to repeat bullshit over and over again.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Signa said:
I'm getting a little bored, but I don't know if it's him or me. Jim won me over with his expert use of words. Now that he knows he has an audience, it feels like he's phoning it in a bit. He's still speaking his mind, but he's not convincing me he's right anymore.
Wouldn't you think that's for the better though? I don't want to be convinced more so than giving food for thought imo. I don't think Jim wants devout followers, but more often than not he makes good enough points to say "hey your right". There are a few episodes I disagree with but overall he's a food for thought more than anything for me.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
I watched some of the Jimquisition for a few years. When he talked about games, I generally liked it. When he started preaching on almost any topic he got real annoying, real fast. I enjoyed his written reviews of games. I had stopped watching his show for a while when I heard he left the Escapist. I watched his first two independent videos to see what I thought of him on his own. Oddly the first one was preaching, and I liked it. The second was about a Sonic game and he came across as a man-child unable to get that this game was made for a younger audience than him. So I guess I'm a hypocrite too!

Anyway, his show always reminded me of a lesson we were taught by the General Manager back when I was in college radio. If you're going to do a character on the air DO NOT become the character in your private life. I don't know about his private life, but the Thank God For ME bit always struck me as starting as a joke and then quickly becoming what he actually thought. Luckily he's young, we all make mistakes, and if we recognize them we get better. I've enjoyed some of his work and I hope he gets better.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Dragonbums said:
Signa said:
I'm getting a little bored, but I don't know if it's him or me. Jim won me over with his expert use of words. Now that he knows he has an audience, it feels like he's phoning it in a bit. He's still speaking his mind, but he's not convincing me he's right anymore.
Wouldn't you think that's for the better though? I don't want to be convinced more so than giving food for thought imo. I don't think Jim wants devout followers, but more often than not he makes good enough points to say "hey your right". There are a few episodes I disagree with but overall he's a food for thought more than anything for me.
I prefer to disagree with someone when I feel that their argument actually has merit. One of those "agree to disagree" moments. There's a radio host that I listen to that's able to do that naturally. There's been plenty of times where I think he's wrong, but he presents his argument well enough for me to still want to listen.

Jim frequently is preaching to the choir with me, so if I'm not agreeing with him, I want to at least hear a good reason for him to be feeling differently than I am.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I wondered actually if he'd gone away from the weekly format when he left Escapist, since he seemed to be struggling for talking points some weeks with rehashing. It'd probably work better if it was released to make a specific statement, rather then fill an episode quota.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
endtherapture said:
I honestly prefer Angry Joe at this point to cynics like Jim. Joe at least still seems to have a passion for games, and is able to see the psitives and negatives in things. I think hearing 100% negativity and cynicism is just getting a bit old, especially when no solutions are given. It's all a bit 2008, AVGN type thing. After so much of this kind of "ANGRY VIDEO GAMER" content being produced it's just worn incredibly thin over the course of 8 years now.
Good lord. QFT. But honestly, I can't really say he was that negative and that cynical. Sure, he would call something out as a topic for the video, but I never got the impression he couldn't tell the good from the bad. I thought he was pretty fair regarding stuff like that. Though, to be fair, I haven't watched all of his newer stuff. Maybe that's changed.

OT: Jim was always interesting to watch. I was aware of him before he came to the Escapist. The first video I ever saw was him tearing into the devs of a game... "Aquaphobia" I think it was called. They said he "didn't play the game correctly" or some such thing. Naturally, this went about as you would expect with Jim.

But honestly, the whole "TGFM" thing did start to get old. I didn't hate it, it's too small for me to hate. It's just like a rock in my shoe. Get's annoying after a while. Plus Jim's consumer advocacy was preaching to the choir a lot with a lot of people. I know that can seem kind of odd when he rails against pre-order culture for the 18th time... because people keep preordering games. But I would think the majority of people who watch his show already feel that way. Certainly the members of The Escapist.

For me I think it just got to be too much. That happens a lot lately. I just get burnt out of certain things. That's happened with a lot of the content creators here at the Escapist.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Ishal said:
endtherapture said:
Good lord. QFT. But honestly, I can't really say he was that negative and that cynical. Sure, he would call something out as a topic for the video, but I never got the impression he couldn't tell the good from the bad. I thought he was pretty fair regarding stuff like that. Though, to be fair, I haven't watched all of his newer stuff. Maybe that's changed.

OT: Jim was always interesting to watch. I was aware of him before he came to the Escapist. The first video I ever saw was him tearing into the devs of a game... "Aquaphobia" I think it was called. They said he "didn't play the game correctly" or some such thing. Naturally, this went about as you would expect with Jim.

But honestly, the whole "TGFM" thing did start to get old. I didn't hate it, it's too small for me to hate. It's just like a rock in my shoe. Get's annoying after a while. Plus Jim's consumer advocacy was preaching to the choir a lot with a lot of people. I know that can seem kind of odd when he rails against pre-order culture for the 18th time... because people keep preordering games. But I would think the majority of people who watch his show already feel that way. Certainly the members of The Escapist.

For me I think it just got to be too much. That happens a lot lately. I just get burnt out of certain things. That's happened with a lot of the content creators here at the Escapist.
Personally for me, it all depends on how original the content is. Jim can't keep his fresh, but I feel like Yahtzee manages to keep enough humor in his videos with witty and funny writing that he could do Zero Punctuation for a long time to come.

Sanderpower

Jun 26, 2014
I still like Jim's stuff, i'm still watching it. The reason his content may seem a bit repetive as of late is because the only topics worth discussing so far have been Ubisoft, Gamer Gate, Steam Greenlight, oh and Dragon Age Origins homosexual options.

He's pretty much did a video on all of those topics (except for Gamer Gate, but very few people want to touch that can of worms).

I'm sure things will pick up next year when there are other things to talk about.

Another reason people may feel a bit tired of Jim is because of all the negativity on the internet recently (even by usual Internet Standards). The Jimquistion is pretty much negatively bashing things so his words can sometimes feel like more salt in an already salty stew.

Still though, the Jimquistion has it's moments, it's still a good show. I'm probably still going to be watching it for awhile.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I still have time for Jim and his videos, though I'm not a regular watcher.

Yeah, there's not as much of a spark as there used to be.
That may be me growing accustomed to his work, his work itself (I find this to be the least likely of the three) or a dearth of variety in subject matter at the moment.

The podium and the rantlets, even with the finger wagging admonishments, are still entertaining and that's where I feel jimbos strengths lie.
That said, I wouldn't want to see him focus only on that as output, even if the lets play work he does doesn't quite entertain as well.
Parity between the two may come if he puts more time into the lets play.
I also think he'd be quite good as with the interviewer/chat host format applied to a podcast, though for all I know he may already be doing this.