Is anyone here going to get an Xbox Series X?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Because say if you ever get the console before me, I was hoping if you would answer any questions I might have regarding features I hope it includes right out of the box.

Specifcally, backwards compatibility with all Xbox gens. If you have any Discs of games for the OG Xbox, 360, and Xbone. I'd like to know if they work on a Series X right at launch?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
From Wikipedia:

"Microsoft has stated that Xbox Series X and Series S will support all games playable on Xbox One (excluding those that require the Kinect sensor),[64] including those Xbox 360 and original Xbox console games currently supported through backward compatibility on the Xbox One, thus allowing the console to support four generations of games.
So sounds like it won't be an exhaustive compatibility of all Xbox generations, but does support anything from previous gens currently b/c on the Xbone. Find that list, and you'll find your answer, I'd guess.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I'll probably get one. I already notice significant difference in loading times between me (a 1.0 Xbox One) and my buddies (Xbox One X).

Feel due for an upgrade and the prices between the current gen and next are comparable here, so may as well buy the better one.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
No I don't really plan on getting one. None of the titles for the new consoles that I'm interested in, seem to be on the xbox, so no real drive to get one.
Same. Tho in my case it's because Microsoft said that all Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, which I'll continue doing anyway. No point spending 500 on a device that doesn't really do anything I can't do on a device I'll already have.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I am personally interested in getting a PS5 some time after launch (and after I get a new videocard), especially since I like the look of a couple of exclusives, but mainly because I have collected a sizeable backlog of PS4 games from Christmas and various birthdays that I still need to play and it would be nice to have it all on one console.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I am personally interested in getting a PS5 some time after launch (and after I get a new videocard), especially since I like the look of a couple of exclusives, but mainly because I have collected a sizeable backlog of PS4 games from Christmas and various birthdays that I still need to play and it would be nice to have it all on one console.
The PS4 compatibility with the PS5 is something I have questions about.

Can I use PS4 discs on PS5, or is it only using that Playstation Plus Subscription?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It is very likely I will get one by next Summer. By that time, bugs will be shaken out, some games that play best on it will be available.
It's is a black box that my wife may not kill me over. The router? I put that in my living room I'm a dead man.
I hope for lots of "play anywhere" titles. I have a gaming PC that is pretty good (Ryzen 7 1700 RX 480 8 GB) that cannot keep up with my Xbox 1 X. But toning down the graphics allows me to at least play when the living room is occupied by other family members. I plan to upgrade my PC about 2 years from now. Until then? No way $500 would help me improve it to keep up with the Xbox Series X.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Nope. the original Xbox and Xbox One never had any games that interested me enough to need both. The 360 has some great stuff I like, but it's not an extensive list. I'm sure the X will be similar

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The PS4 compatibility with the PS5 is something I have questions about.

Can I use PS4 discs on PS5, or is it only using that Playstation Plus Subscription?
That's from yesterday. Take with a grain of salt tho, since Jim Ryan has been known to flub answering questions about details. But my guess is bc will be similar to previous Sony bc capable consoles i.e. all the major games will work fine, with maybe one or two minor glitches.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
That's from yesterday. Take with a grain of salt tho, since Jim Ryan has been known to flub answering questions about details. But my guess is bc will be similar to previous Sony bc capable consoles i.e. all the major games will work fine, with maybe one or two minor glitches.
So...yes PS4 PHYSICAL DISCS. can work on a PS5?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So...yes PS4 PHYSICAL DISCS. can work on a PS5?
Near as I can tell, yes, PS4 discs will run on PS5.
As for which games won't be compatible, physical or otherwise, that I can't answer. But it's likely safe to assume the games in that PS+ collection will work. I'm guessing GOTY editions that include all the dlc or expanded versions like Persona 5 Royal probably will too.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
No.

I have a next-gen ready gaming PC (or at least I will do, when the RTX 3080 stops playing hide-and-seek with customers), and all future Xbox exclusive games will also be available on PC. Ultimately, me owning an Xbox will be a completely redundant purchase.

That said, it is a cracking deal. The Xbox Series S by itself is £100 less than the PS5 Digital, or you can get a Series S with Game Pass Ultimate, for £21p/m, or a Series X for £29p/m. A console, online access, access to almost 250 games, including day-one access to Xbox exclusives, and EA games, for £20-£30 a month? That is a pretty convincing offer.

I have no doubts that the PS5 have better games (at least so far), but the barrier of entry being so incredibly low, is almost certainly going to be popular with people who dont really fancy dropping half a grand.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Unless someone can give me a decent advantage Xbox has over the PS5 other than slightly better backwards compatability, no.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I will get a Series S for 200 dollars or less for DCS, Halo, and maybe one other game...

DCS stands for a digital combat simulator.