Is attempted suicide a crime?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
just a completly random thourght I had

Im not sure about nowdays...

but in the past if you tried suicide but faild..did that count as a crime? or attmpted murder? could you go to jail?

I know its technically a "crime" in christianity and mabye other religions

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Where I am, I think they kind of "reserve the right" to jail you if the suicide attempt is an illegal drug overdose, but I've never known them to enforce it. It will, however, get you involuntarily committed. That's not fun. The people in the state hospital are fucking crazy! Although, it's a great place to go if you want to feel completely sane.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I think it depends. If you OD on something, I think they can hold you because of the illegal substances(if they were illegal) that you ingested. Sorta along the lines of drunk in public. But other than that? I don't THINK so anyway. If you botch shooting yourself, I think you get a court mandated visit to the looney bin...but again I am NOT sure.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Well, I heard in Japan from friends that your next of kin is financially liable for your suicide. That is, if you jump in front of a truck, it swerves to miss you but still kills you - unfortunately plowing into a convenience store whilst swerving ... your next of kin will be hit with a bill for cleaning up both the truck and the conveni.

If you jump off a building, try to land on the old Toyota and not the new shiny BMW.

The illegality of suicide is a moot point in Japan. It's an accepted part of life much like lung cancer for smokers, jail time for crims, and taxes.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's not illegal in Australia - and as long as you don't sound insane (as in, you are having hallucinations or hearing voices), they can't even involuntarily commit you - all they can do is offer counselling and emotional support.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
I think suicide is illegal because that lets the police officers detain you. They can't restrain you from killing yourself if it's not against the law. It's just a formality.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
In UK attempting to commit suicide is against the law, its also a crime to die in the houses of parliament

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
spartandude said:
In UK attempting to commit suicide is against the law, its also a crime to die in the houses of parliament
Wow really? Im going to kill myself in the houses of parliament. When i do, can one of you hold up a sign saying "Watch out guys, we got a badass over here"

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
It would horrible if they got the death penalty...
Seriously though I'm pretty sure their are some laws about it like no jumping off this bridge but they can't really charge you for taking 90 sleeping pills.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
No. Ultimately someone's life is their own to do with as they please, whether that be dedicating to hard work, the study of law, saving people's lives, or simply taking their own. We as society may abhor this (the "taking their own" part, that is) and we may try to prevent this as best we can, but it is someone's right to claim their own life should they so choose. There's nothing criminal about that.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
spartandude said:
Not any-more, the UK law against suicide was repealed in the 1960's in the same act which criminalised assisting someone-else's suicide. No idea about the houses of parliament one, thought it's not like they can do much to you once you're dead!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
yookiwooki said:
I think suicide is illegal because that lets the police officers detain you. They can't restrain you from killing yourself if it's not against the law. It's just a formality.
It wouldn't have to be illegal to allow police to intervene, there simply needs to be laws allowing them to do so.

For example, in my province, suicide isn't illegal but if you attempt it or the police feel you are in danger of attempting it, they can take you to the psychiatric ward at a hospital and you can be held there for up to 3 days for observation and treatment. You're not technically being arrested if this happens so nothing ever show up as you having a criminal record for it, the police are simply acting as intermediaries more than anything to get you to the hospital.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Monoochrom said:
This Thread is just begging for a joke...
My wife and I planned to commit suicide together.
But once she'd killed herself, things suddenly looked a lot more positive.

An Alabama Sheriff was being interviewed by local news about the recent discovery of a black man's body.
"We found this here body. He'd been burnt, stabbed, shot, hung, dipped in acid, then shot again. In fact, it's the worst case of suicide I've ever seen."

Never die a virgin, when you get to heaven they make you fuck a suicide bomber...

Yup, I am going to hell. And if you laughed then you are coming with me.

Anyway aint sure of the laws on suicide in NZ. Mainly because I never need to know them. If I tried it I would succeed. But it sure as hell should not be against the law. That would just encourage them to try harder next time and if someone wants to die then what business is it of the governments.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
In the UK, a man tried to commit suicide by jumping off a building. He landed on a fence, destroying the fence, and cracked the flagstones underneath but survived. When he got out of hospital however he was fined for damaging public property. :S

As others have said, its very rare that the act itself is illegal but instead its down to how you've tried to do it and if the method breaches any laws.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
In some places you can get fined and before you think we'll I'll be dead so f them. No, the fine will transfer to your family.

However, there are other places that have you committed. Which I find appropriate. Look these places have gotten better. They are no longer the horror stories they used to be.