Is Cheerleading a sport?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
JoJo said:
I'd say it's more of a dance, you wouldn't call ballet a sport.
No, but ballet is more of a spectacle, for others the entertainment of a crowd. While Cheerleading does that as well, it is also more orientated on working with a team, and there are team based competitions around it.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
More of a competition than sport, a lot of sports have an easily identified win scored more goals, knock out, tap out etc competition are like dances, point fighting, gymnastics, high dives etc.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I for one would call an event in which each and every competitor simply has to wait for their turn to perform a show they meticulously practiced in advance a bit "less of a sport" than some others, but that doesn't mean I don't like them or that I'd somehow be upset that they are or aren't Olympic events. Mind that the Olympics have a bunch of events so utterly outside of an average person's perspective that cheerleading wouldn't even be too odd of an addition to the likes of dressage, synchronized swimming, freestyle aerials and all ten fencing events. Oh, and don't forget modern pentathlon.

For figure skating enthusiasts it opens the interesting discussion of how "aesthetic" the performances should be compared to gymnastic prowess for example. What is considered skillful skating and so on.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
CaptJohnSheridan said:
What do you think of cheerleading? Is it a sport or just an excuse for attractive females to wear short skirts? If you knew any of them did they fit the stereotype of snobby, slutty, and dumb?
The second part is irrelevant, intent to wear short skirts would not be exclusionary of cheerleading being a sport, even if the sole reason for a person joining a sport was the apparel if the base sport meet the definition of sport then it'd be a sport. Maybe a boxer joined because he had a fetish for gloves, boxing is still a sport and his proformance is still playing a sport.

As for rather cheerleading is definable as a sport the crux is the competition clause of the sports definition, the definition:
Oxford said:
Strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same
So would a cheerleader who is cheering for a team without competition still be a cheerleader? There are of course cheerleading competitions with points and judges which by all means meet the definition of sport, but the definition of cheerleading does not necessitate such competition which leads to the activity being in a sort of gray area, as cheerleading can be done in the absence of competition thus making the sport classification only relevant when competitions are held.

As for the second part of your question because my old job used to host cheerleading camps for breakfast/dinner they just seemed like your average group of kids with an odd amount of flare (IE anything shiny or sparkly). They're hardly any different then the soccer or ballet camps that rolled through, just a higher female to male ratio (although there were quite a few males in the group).

Calico_Asshole

Jul 11, 2016
Anything that results in as many injuries as cheerleading does, is probably a sport.

CaptJohnSheridan said:
What do you think of cheerleading? Is it a sport or just an excuse for attractive females to wear short skirts? If you knew any of them did they fit the stereotype of snobby, slutty, and dumb?
Is that the stereotype, or just the stereotype of cheerleaders in high school? I submit to you the reason they're dicks is the "High school" part and not the "Cheerleader" part. I appreciate your overly simplistic approach to the concept of it all though, really very admirable.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
RanD00M said:
JoJo said:
I'd say it's more of a dance, you wouldn't call ballet a sport.
No, but ballet is more of a spectacle, for others the entertainment of a crowd. While Cheerleading does that as well, it is also more orientated on working with a team, and there are team based competitions around it.
I don't know, you have team-based dance competitions too, and that doesn't make dance a sport, in my eyes at-least.

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
If people are gonna try and label league of ledgends as a sport, than cheerleading is definitely a sport

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Phasmal said:
CaptJohnSheridan said:

Cheerleading is more of a gymnastic hobby than a sport. That doesn't stop it being hard work and physically demanding, not an "excuse for" wearing short skirts (last time I checked anyone can wear a short skirt for literally any reason).

And yes, I've known a cheerleader. She was a fucking sweetheart. Because we don't all live in Stereotopia, where everyone acts like they're in a shitty high school movie.

Also "females".
All this.

The dude-cheerleader I had the privilege of being friends with really enjoyed it, although it nearly killed him several times. I don't know/care if it counts as a "sport", all I can say is that it left him ripped.

And also, he fit basically no stereotypes, so that was cool.

And the OTHER dude-cheerleader I knew was very-down-to-earth and a total nerd, so he was the anti-stereotype.

Man, I know way too many dude-cheerleaders. xD

On the whole, my understanding of cheerleaders is that they're very dedicated individuals who will work WAY harder than you will for no reason beyond showing support for friends. The poor people will actually risk their flipping lives to nail a particularly flashy toss. What did you do today? Did you literally sail fifteen feet over the ground head-first hoping to God that the person on the other end won't botch the catch? No? Didn't think so.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I believe if you call cheerleading a sport they have to abide by a more stringent set of rules and the excessive amounts of injuries sustained by them would pile up and require them to wear protective gear instead of uniforms and a bunch of other regulations that would destroy cheerleading as we know it.
I saw a documentary on it by someone. One kid attempted a flip and landed on her neck and became paralyzed. Everyone has broken or sprained something to the point where they could trade stories and no one doesn't have one. Also the adults show little concern for the people involved and when someone does get seriously injured it takes them a few minutes to even get up to check up on them and even then they try to pass it off as not as serious as it appears.

What it should be is banned.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
It's one of the most dangerous sports out there. Like Jeebus is it dangerous. But pretty awesome when it's pulled off correctly

Sep 24, 2008
How is it not a sport?

Physical activity. Score Based. Competitions.

Just because they are not actively trying to hurt someone else to score the points, it's not a sport?

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I measure whats a sport or not with two factors, degree of physicality and degree of competition. Now cheer-leading isn't necessarily competitive except for those actual cheer competitions. Here's the thing though, I wouldn't consider something where the opposing teams or persons take turns doing something a sport, unless of course the degree of physicality was that much higher, for instance, I wouldn't call bowling or cheering sports, but I would say that pole-vaulting would be a sport. In short, no, I don't think cheering is a sport, besides, if you look in the stands you'll see the fans have way more pageantry than the cheerers.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
There's cheer-leading competitions.
Looking at how high the bar's been raised, it's also extremely dangerous at times. I'd say it is, at least in some elements.
It's definitely worthy of respect in my book.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Sure, why not? Gymnastics, figure skating, diving, dressage and synchronised swimming are Olympic sports and competitive cheerleading has just as much claim to being a sport as those do. Very competitive and physically demanding while having an organised clearly set out rule structure.

In the UK we have "Sports Acrobatics" which is a branch of Gymnastics that is thematically very similar to competitive cheerleading but slightly less dance-like.

I suppose the main reason people might be resistant is that the competitive aspect isn't inherent to the activity. It isn't a sport when it's just half-time entertainment and physically you might be doing the exact same thing as when competing.

I don't have a problem with that myself. It's just like saying that running isn't a sport but racing is.

It's more of a sport than Golf.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Something does not need be athletics to be a sport, in fact, something does not even need to be acrobatics to be a sport, any discipline that requires rigorous practice and skill and can be set in a competitive environment can be called a sport.

Also, who the fuck needs an excuse to wear skimpy clothing?!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'd say it's more art than sport, like Pro-Wrestling, it's more like a dance. And Art Competition is a thing.

That said... Like, it's weird right? The whole traditional idea of parade the girls out to dance during the football game thing.

But I have a natural bias against them, and hell football team too. When I was in high school every september they'd drag us all students out to the field to celebrate the football team and show off their cheer routine. "School spirit" week, yeah I'm gonnna have real spirit caring about that fucking place. How much of my parents tax money was wasted on that stupid football team because James Carol's idiot family thought he was gonna go on to be a NFL play... *deep breath* sore subject.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Seems more like a dance to provide some distraction for the crowd during breaks. Perhaps it's different in the US, i only seen their performances in movies and they are a lot more complex than what we do here.