Is E3 Worth It?

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Sentox6 said:
Harbinger_ said:
Sorry but as soon as I found out that Jim was involved in this I stopped reading.

Then I went and read everything but what he said.
Well done at ignoring the best parts of the article, then.
I thank you for your opinion but its not an opinion that I share.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Even though I somehow agree with not getting my hopes up, I would very much like to know the times Yahtzee got burned. Perhaps an extra punctuation about these.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Harbinger_ said:
I would expect not, seeing as you didn't read it.

Whatever opinion you do have is unfounded by your own admission, at any rate.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Irridium said:
I'm hoping this E3 will bring some form of Timesplitters announcement.

Far-fetched, yes, but I don't care. I wants me some more Timesplitters dammit!
With they way Crytek has been shamefully ignoring the fanbase who have been crying for this game it'll only be announced about 2 days before the end of the world.
Crytek has it out for us all! :O

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Sentox6 said:
Harbinger_ said:
I would expect not, seeing as you didn't read it.

Whatever opinion you do have is unfounded by your own admission, at any rate.
I've seen other things he's done and didn't enjoy them. I don't take kindly to a contributor to the site insulting potential viewers because they don't like his content. Professionals are supposed to act professional. You like his stuff, thats fine. Not everyone else has to.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Extra Consideration said:
Extra Consideration: Is E3 Worth It?

Is all the pomp and circumstance of E3 worth the trouble?

Read Full Article
To James:

Don't feel bad. It is a little sad when one of the most visible and most talked-about events is essentially just one big free-for-all commercial. A clutter of chaotic bluffing, it's like Texas Hold'Em mixed with Super Smash Bros.

To Jim:

I think what you love about E3 is exactly what I hate. All of the balls-out announcements (read: hype) read with an overly excited tone of voice is designed specifically to get the audience excited. About what? Who the hell knows? You just want them excited while they're looking at your logo. Because excited people don't ask questions, unless that question is "When can I pre-order?"

To Yahtzee:

The only benefit I can see to a touch screen in the controller is that it allows you to change what buttons appear on your controller, without needing a new controller for each game. But something like that is probably pretty alienating to the audience, as they'll have to learn a brand new layout for every single game. Alternately, most games will use the same layout, making the gimmick meaningless.

The other possibility is putting HUD elements on the controller. To my mind, this entirely defeats the purpose of a HUD--it wasn't designed for its aesthetic appeal, it was designed so you could access relevant information without taking your eyes off the task at hand.

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
I've never really seen that much of E3, but I never really cared for it. This has shed a light on what E3 is for me.

Also, Why can't Jim talk like this in his Jimquisition? Here he shows he has good points, and he is doing it without saying "fuck" every 3 words (not offended, just annoyed). His point comes across better when he is just being calm and swears less. Ah well, still nice discussion

CharlesBronson

Jun 12, 2010
Eri said:
Jesus Christ can anymore people jump on the hate Jim Bandwagon? We get it, you don't like it. Stop babbling about it then. I like him just fine but don't go into every article praising and giving him accolades. Just lay off.
The jimquisition... what a show
The jimquisition... here we go
I know your wishin... that we'd go awayyyyy
But the jimquisitions here... and its here... to... stayyyyyy

Not disagreeing wiith your point at all, just need an excuse to post this. Mel brooks is the man.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
CharlesBronson said:
The jimquisition... what a show
The jimquisition... here we go
I know your wishin... that we'd go awayyyyy
But the jimquisitions here... and its here... to... stayyyyyy

Not disagreeing wiith your point at all, just need an excuse to post this. Mel brooks is the man.
I think we found his new theme song.

Mosop

Aug 25, 2010
I really love E3, there's just something about seeing a spectacular trailer for a game that you just were not expecting or watching a conferance live and seeing Gabe Newal walk out onto the Sony stage and anounce portal. Moments like that are just exciting and sure it makes me a gullable consummer to see gameplay demos and expect greatness but its just plain exciting for me. I can't speak about going to shows as I have never been but E3 is by far my favourite as it is where literaly all the big anouncements are made.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
As for the "is it worth it?" question, im suprised to be agreeing with Jim Sterling here(sorry not a fan), that it is worth it maybe not for the industry but for the FANS of the industry. It very much IS a recharge in excitement about the medium we care about. I remember watching E3, when Halo 3 was announced, from home and i fealt GREAT to be a supporter of the medium. I didnt watch for the cool new announcements, i would end up finding out all about them anyway. I watched E3 because it was a time to sit down and go "I AM SO PROUD TO BE A GAMER!" and that makes it all worth it.

Nesrie

Dec 7, 2009
I pay attention to E3 when it is big and has something entertaining to say. 2007/2008... pretty much forgot E3 was happening the whole time it was. I guess it all depends on what the purpose is.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
I'd say everyone made some very good points here.

The one bit I'd like to comment on is about the swag --- it's there to bid for getting your attention in the first place. Marketers (mostly) aren't actually trying to buy a good review with swag; they just want the reviewer to notice that their game is there and review it. Having a swanky $200 lighter in your pocket is a great reminder that "oh crap I should prolly review that game".

Why not go with something cheaper? Because "cheaper" is generally equated with "more forgettable". You're less likely to keep, let alone remember, the thousandth squishyball or lanyard or similar tchotchke you got from a game company.

That said, if it were me, I would've gone with a $50 lighter. -;)

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Competition is healthy. I love the trashtalk. Nintendo's nostalgia gets me every time, I'm not ashamed of that one bit. I love that it's a huge party with boothbabes and lights and props and COMPETITION! I love that it's the place where everyone brings out their guns. I love that it's a fun time for everyone to see what's coming. I love the anticipation for each press conference, and the bevy of screens, impressions and trailers that come with it for us to speculate over. I love taking extended breaks during work so I can see that one. last. update on a liveblog for a conference; the one that'll maybe talk about Zelda or a new console or something I'm waiting for.

I love E3 and the idea of it. Jim is dead on. I only wish it were also open to the public but for that we'd need a venue twice as big, I wager.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
James Portnow said:
People who buy games...

(Though If S-E decides to surpise us with a Thief announcement, I'll be pretty excited)

Wow, I sound like a jaded git. Didn't think I'd be taking that role ; )
Welcome to the club :D I feel that way quite often these days...

I'm glad to see Jim actually making some reasonable points, his videos keep off-putting me, but evidently he can make a point without making everyone forget it within 20 seconds. If he continues in his videos then he'll have gained a fan.

milo2215 said:
Am i the only one who's getting rather put off by Yahtzee? He seems to be acting more and more like a complete cynical prick(as opposed to being a cynical prick most of the time, but sometimes actually having a good opinion) each time he does something relating to the Escapist. Have the years of being payed to play video games getting to him, or has he become a parody of himself?
... What? This is no different than how Yahtzee usually is, he's made it ABUNDANTLY clear that he despises hype and finds many games to be bland.

Baldr said:
I was sent to E3 in 2005, while I thought it would be cool to hang out with other developers and talk to the press, that was far from the opposite. Like 75% of the attendance were low level Gamestop(like) employees. It was quite annoying.

I found it was much funner to go to game developer conferences like GDC and the ECGC.
That's terrifying... aren't consumers the people you'd want to be in touch with, rather than the people trying to get them to buy games in the first place?

I remember I used to think E3 was the shiznit(I'm the only one who uses that term, I swear) but now it really is like hype and shallow gameplay has become much more prevalent. Maybe I sound like a cynical twat, but these are my honest feelings.

blanksmyname

Aug 2, 2009
My goodness, Jim, you're one of the few people who know about Edge of Twilight. It's such a shame it doesn't seem it'll get made.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No. its not. Why pay money for things you will get to see and hear for free a week later? are you that impatient?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I like E3. I'm cynical and jades beyond my years but I enjoy E3 simply because they have the most exciting news of the year. I don't get carried away though, very few things get me truly excited. But I have to say the WiiU, the barrage of Zelda news (despite nothing on Skyward Sword), Forza 4 and Skyrim have got me excited, but not to the point where I won't get any sleep tonight.

And I was surprised to see that name drop of Edge Of Twilight at the end! That's the first time I've seen any piece of gaming journalism mention it in a very long time. I was pretty excited about that game too. It looked so different and refreshing that everything else out around the time, and they went and canceled it. I was really disappointed. I would love to see them bring that back from the brink.