Is he trying to scam me?

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
He really expects us to believe Schlumberger is a company name? Scam.
<url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlumberger>Somewhat laughably, the company is real.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
murphy7801 said:
AC10 said:
He's trying to scam you, don't sell to any 3rd world country ... or eastern Europe... or China.
Actually eastern Europe ok if its part of the EU because its under EU law so your protected.
Okay, can I just change it to Russia then?

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
AC10 said:
murphy7801 said:
AC10 said:
He's trying to scam you, don't sell to any 3rd world country ... or eastern Europe... or China.
Actually eastern Europe ok if its part of the EU because its under EU law so your protected.
Okay, can I just change it to Russia then?
oh know there so many weird countries which we refuses to let into the EU avoid them like the Africa EU is actually quite small we don't let anyone in well shame we let Poland in really.

captainordo

Mar 28, 2009
Insist on most if not all of the money up front. The business is real. Its an oil company that is located in 80 countries including countries in West Africa. If you have any safer deals, take those instead.

ILPPendant

Jul 15, 2008
I'd say keep an open mind. He might very well be acting in good faith but that's no reason for either party not to be cautious. (Politely) ask for some more information to clarify, such as which part of "West Africa". The English isn't terrific, but as someone pointed out, that might just be because it's not his first language.

Be careful about demanding payment up front as that might make you look like a scammer (which would be a crowning irony). Personally I'd offer to go through some kind of intermediary service, like escrow.com (yes, they accept Paypal) although they will charge you (especially for Paypal - suggest an alternate form of payment if their fee is too steep). If you go through a major service then your customer may be a little more willing to divulge his bank details, if perhaps not to you.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
LivingInStereo said:
Ok IO don't really know for sure, but I was watching the British office yesterday and I'm pretty sure schlumberger is the company from that, which would make it fictional. But then it was late and I hear things wrong alot.
Schlumberger
http://www.slb.com/

Big business, very big.

That said, the flow of the response you got was all wrong. I wouldn't go for it.

Edit: ACK! next time I'll get as far as page two before I show off my Google skills.

axnxgxixe

Apr 23, 2009
never send something like that through the mail. especially through craigslist. If for some reason you still want to go through with it, wait until you get the money before sending it...I still wouldn't recommend this anyways.

Gruthar

Mar 27, 2009
It does sound shady. I would just say you don't ship out of the country and be done with it.

Darkmark44

Nov 26, 2008
Definite Scam. This one lady tried to scam my friend, and guess what? She was from west Africa too! Plus, shipping and all that shit is expensive.

Go for local shipping and not international