Is he trying to scam me?

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
No, he's not scamming you. How could do something like that? It would take someone evil or greedy or a troll, so yes, of course he's trying to scam you.

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
Well, I checked the website...the company is in oil drilling. There's actually an article on the site that talks about west nile infecting people at their five sites in west africa.

http://www.slb.com/content/news/inside/2009/20090514_fight_the_bite.asp?

And come on, schlumberger is a fucking oil company. "Multinational" probably means that they drill in countries like the one this guy is from so people in Europe and North America can benefit. My guess is he is either a local who the company hired so it doesnt look like the people there aren't being giving opportunities, or a scammer who just came up with this crap. If its the former, I doubt he has a way of paying you, because multinational companies tend to underpay foreign workers (Their website is in English as a default, so its probably Western-based)

Again, its an oil company. If the employees based in west africa aren't locals, they probably get paid better, and can probably do better than your laptop (No offense)

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
More than anything else, the idea that he's willing to pay you an extra $150 for 'shipping' rather than just pick one up second hand locally, tells me something isn't right.

Please, wait and get a local seller instead.

The extra money is about one step removed from 'Hey, you've just won $20,000! just send your $400 handling fee to ...'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khw2oZsO-3Y&feature=channel_page

relevant sketch ^

wendyc

Sep 23, 2009
Having a similar issue with this guy! This is the email I got...

Hi, how are you doing today? Thanks for the reply actually i want to
buy it as a gift for my cousin, she is a college student in indiana,
right now i am out of town on a business trip for my company and i
would like you to deliver it to her, so i will be adding extra $50 for
the shipping expenses and i want to pay through paypal because it is
save and faster, if it is okay with you kindly send me a paypal
money request to my paypal email which is [email protected] and if
you don?t have a paypal account, you can simply go to www.paypal.com
to sign up???..it?s free.
Have a great day ahead as i look forward to hear from you soon.
Thanks,
Chris.

Unfortunately, I wasn't has quick to figure it out! I got legitimate looking emails from paypal showing payments pending etc. asking for delivery tracking numbers etc. I sent it all in, tracked the package myself, waiting a couple days for payment....I logged into paypal and the payment pending went away. I called paypal and they say he doesn't have an account! After I received what looked like a payment confirmation!

don't send anything out without money in hand...I have sent all the info out to paypal and a few other places that investigate fraud!