Is it just me ... or do women make terrible comedians?

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
The only really funny woman that I can think of is Jane Lynch. She's hilarious.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Can we at least all agree on that there isn't a comedian in the world more offensively worthless than Dane Cook?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Maybe you just have a terrible sense of humour?

Really. Different people find different things funny.

weker

May 27, 2009
Inchronica said:
Seriously, I've yet to see one funny female comedian. I don't mean to sound sexist but, It's like they try too hard to compete with they're male counter part. Again, Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist it's just the impression I get.
its physiological, women laugh more at men I think the same goes for men but I am unclear on why the male version happens.
Also many women comedian use bad topics that only reach certain audiences like mothers and even then only target an even more vague audience.

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
Inchronica said:
Seriously, I've yet to see one funny female comedian. I don't mean to sound sexist but, It's like they try too hard to compete with they're male counter part. Again, Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist it's just the impression I get.
I used to think this about novelists when I was growing up and reading novels avidly. It seemed like the ones written by men were more intense, funnier, more dramatic, etc. Now and then, a female writer would stand out, and I made sure to look for any future works from them, but there were very few of them.

Female comedians, in my eyes, are the same. I don't care for any of the 'new' comedians out there; they're too gross and vulgar. I prefer the classic comedy of Cloris Leachman, Phyllis Diller, Vickie Lawrance, and Lucille Ball. Y'know, back when women acted like women and not overdriven to 'compete with the boys'.

The best comedy comes from real life situations that go terribly out of control, most comedians, men and women alike, know this. But the big problem isn't the material; it's the delivery. Timing is everything, and I've noticed womens' timing gets too lost in their narrative and trying to get the audience on their side to see the joke from their point of view. I don't find that humor; I find that torure.

I don't find you sexist, OP. You're just being honest, and pointed out something that's always bothered me, as well.

And, PLEASE, lets not get on the bandwagon of 'Ohhh, but it's SOOO hard for a female to get any breaks in the entertainment business!' To that I say 'Pfft!' I've been given many opportunities in life and have never been held back from anything because of my gender. If you are willing to work hard, you can do anything.

sg137iu

Oct 20, 2008
Some quick things about comedy:

Comedians aren't any fun to hang around with, they're usually down or depressed. (This is a generalization based on what I have heard certain famous comedians say) Usually their ability to find humor in dark/tough situations is a coping skill or defense mechanism. When you laugh at true comedians (those who play with the line between comedic and tragic) you're simultaneously encouraging them to cope with their issues/situation but you're also providing some pressure to them (a lot of people take criticism too harsh). That's not a bad thing, though. You're also relating to them as an individual, as a human being.

The issue today is that there aren't many "true" comedians; we have a lot of people just saying "I'm not a white male, isn't it funny how I'm treated differently?" (this applies to any race, gender or sexual orientation) They're focusing on certain groups and it's not universally approachable by everyone that hears it. You may get bored with Shakespeare but there's a reason people still read his works today: it is timeless and universally approachable.

Can women be funny? Yes, because they are human beings, each with a unique perspective and collection of experiences. Being a woman does not make you funny.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010

None of the above are female comedians. I honestly cannot think off the top of my head a single comedian I've heard that was a woman and laugh out loud funny.

The reason I listed them is because, they are arguably one of the funniest comedy troupes (songs are their specialty but some of the banter they do is pretty good, and the one called Paul (the lead singer) is a God among men.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
LiquidGrape said:
Can we at least all agree on that there isn't a comedian in the world more offensively worthless than Dane Cook?
Snip
I think we can. Though I feel horribly unsatisfied by that video. It feels like I'm missing a tiny bit of the punchline where they cut out the laughter.

Jul 22, 2009
Damn I watched al of the videos and the only pretty funny one was Jo Brand...

Maybe I just dislike American comedians.

It is a shame, there are a few female comedians I know I've watched all the way through and found funny, but the majority can barely hold my interest for longer than a minute.

I watched Sarah Silverman once for about 5 minutes and I was so incredibly bored...

Oh well, I'm just going to go watch Russell Howard stand up over and over again.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Jonluw said:
LiquidGrape said:
Snip
I think we can. Though I feel horribly unsatisfied by that video. It feels like I'm missing a tiny bit of the punchline where they cut out the laughter.
There is no punchline, the guy just do drugs before the show and dance around...

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
There are some, but the OP is right, there are far fewer good female comedians and it is mostly owing to their subject matter. With a few notable exceptions, comediennes pander to the female audience whilst showering scorn on men (I've actually noticed this happening less and less recently though, so maybe the trend is changing) whereas male comedians try to appeal to the whole audience.

Somebody mentioned Mock The Week and I've actually noticed that many of the comediennes on there are pretty good. I never used to like Jo Brand much, because of the aforementioned problems, but she's changed her routine around a bit recently and is now consistently hilarious.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Ronni Anaconda
Sandi Toksvig
That woman who did "im fucking matt damon"

Yeah thats not many

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I have the same feeling as you as well. I'm not sexist, but the only woman comedian I find a little bit funny is Jo Brand, apart from her, I find no other woman comedian funny at all...

karplas

Nov 24, 2010
Christopher Hitchens has something to say about the issue as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7izJggqCoA

Seriphina

Apr 24, 2010
I think the female funnies are few and far between as well but maybe guys don't find them as funny because they can't relate? Does that make sense? Like a woman can make fun about female problems and I guy wouldn't find it funny whereas men are more basic with their humour and observational rather than relating on personal experiences? maybe i'm just waffling. Maybe there are just MORE male comedians so there are more good ones to choose from. <3

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
At least they aren't as bad as American comics. They are terrible apart from Rich Hall and Reginald D Hunter who all live in the UK.....Funny that......

Also why the fuck do you Americans censor everything ? It Is so annoying they are just words ffs.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The wisdom of Dylan Moran, once more ....

I don't necessarily agree, but I will say that men are far more 'instable' than women ... on average. They get angrier easier, disingenuous, fly on whimsy ....

Not saying that women don't but they are still on average far more centred, rational, dedicated individuals who, if Humanity was clever enough to realise, should be running the planet if only because there'd be less people going batshit insane.

Men ... don't get them ... but I understand why there are alot of male comedians. And I think it's simply because more men don't get the world around them, so they constantly dcomment on how they don't the world around them ... and that's pretty much the entire basis of humour.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There are plenty of funny woman, but none of them are or should be stand-up comedians.

As a kid I was a big fan of Shelley Long and Bette Midler. Never seen 'm do stand-up comedy though, thank God.