Is it just me ... or do women make terrible comedians?

Pistachio101

Mar 1, 2011
There are some funny ones. I enjoy Andi Osho qute a lot. However one of the many things that QI has taught me is that women get less laughs than men. Even women will generally laugh more at men than at women. Whether thats because of actual funniness or because of some kind of sexism on the mens part and some kind of hatred of their own sex from the women is hard to tell.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Well there are two types of female comedians. There are the female comedians, and the comedians who just happen to be female. I just read Sarah Silvermans book and really enjoyed it. Remember my lamb, 90% of everything is shit, and only like 20% of comedians are women, so only like 2% of women comedians are excellent, while 9% of men are great. So if you only have a passing interest in comedy you could go a very long time before seeing a good one.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
You realize women don't use their body to think, right? You also realize that the male and female brain are basically the same right?

If someone isn't funny it's either them or you, it has absolutely nothing to do with their gender.

There are plenty of funny female comedians.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
when im watching some comedy festival on tv its like 8/10 males comedians are funny and like 1/15 female comedians are funny. when the female comedian is funny they are very funny.

michael87cn said:
If someone isn't funny it's either them or you, it has absolutely nothing to do with their gender.

There are plenty of funny female comedians.
ok so then its just that most female comedians happen to suck balls at being funny. but it has nothing to do with them not having balls/

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
What is wrong with you? Have you never talked to a girl before or something? Trust me 'bro' they are perfectly capable of telling a joke.

I know, impossible to believe. *rolls eyes*

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
I think funny woman comedians are few and far between. Watching comedy shows like Mock the Week and such, whenever a woman is on, whenever they say a joke it's just awkward and half the time they just get edited out because they never say anything funny. The only exception to this is Shappi Khorsandi but even she stopped being funny because all her jokes were "HAHA I'm IRANIAN lets all laugh at Iranian stereotypes HAHA!"

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
michael87cn said:
What is wrong with you? Have you never talked to a girl before or something? Trust me 'bro' they are perfectly capable of telling a joke.

I know, impossible to believe. *rolls eyes*
I think OP is saying that Woman COMEDIANS aren't funny, I assume he knows girls, as do most people, I have some female friends but they don't do stand up...

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
I agree, there are quite few funny professional comedians. This has less to do with the gender and more to do with the business I believe though, male comedians can just get away with stuff easier since there's nothing wrong with labeling a man as a pig. Women, for the most part, seem to be held to a higher standard. It might be easier to do impressions with a deeper voice as well, as I've rarely heard a good female impressionist.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Shappi Khorsandi is quite funny and Victoria Wood has made me cry with laughter before.

Even some of my fav comedians can't make me LOL, I usually just smile or give a little chuckle to a good joke.

Two comedian's who can always make me LOL is Billy Connolly and Ken Dodd.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
michael87cn said:
You realize women don't use their body to think, right? You also realize that the male and female brain are basically the same right?
It annoys me how this is supposed to be accepted with no basis at all. Every single cell in the female brain contains an x-chromosome instead of the y-chromosome males possess.
Isn't it possible that this might cause some differences?

Everybody accepts that there are differences in men and women's bodies, but if you insinuate that there might be differences in their brains people look at you like a madman.
Guess what: the brain is a part of the body, and it's just reasonable that there would be some differences between the sexes. For instance, most women are attracted to men, and most men are attracted to women. Attraction is controlled by the brain, not the genitals, believe it or not.

Now, I'm not saying that a person is incapable of being a comedian because they happen to be a woman, but I'm guessing that if you pick a random woman, the chances of her being able to be a good comedian are lower than if she had been a man. There have been studies on it.

Like someone else said: it seems male comedians tend towards universal comedy that appeals to both sexes, while female comedians have a tendency to focus on female issues.

Personally, I have never senn a female comedian that has made me laugh out loud Wuups, scratch that. There have been instances where Linn Skåber has made me laugh.. I remember watching some John Oliver stand up show, and his first guest was a woman. It was horrible, and I imagined the audience only laughed out of a sense of duty. Then a man came on next, and he was just as bad. Really crappy show overall.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
NickCooley said:
By the mentioning of Pub I'm asuming you're a fellow Brit in which case I have to ask what cosy little hide away you've been able to hide in because there are plenty of violent women out there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356190/Female-offenders-Violence-common-time-crime-17s.html

Daily Mail, don't read too much for fear of turning into a 60 year old, house bound, racist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7550755.stm

BBC, from 2008 but still relevant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...g-culture-fuels-rise-in-attacks-by-women.html

Admitadly some of these article are old but nothing has changed, I trump your one social experience with cold, hard stats.
No, in Australia. And cold, hard facts?

How about the 'cold hard fact' that heterosexual males make up over 95% of serial murderers. I have yet to see how 'rising violence' seems to be your measure as to how wmen are equalizing the gap in promotion of violence in society... especially given that the BBC report states itself;

"Men and boys are still far more likely to be involved in violent crime, however."

Could it be that occasions for violence in the UK are merely increasing as the UK continues to suffer declining economic and social standards?

INCOME.

The less money that people or households earn, the more likely they are to become victims of violent crime. In 2002 the very poor (earning less than $7,500 annually) suffered violent crime at a higher rate (45.5 per 1,000 persons) than any other income group and more than double the rate for those earning $75,000 or more (19.0 per 1,000). Property crime rates for those earning less than $7,500 per year were also more elevated than those in higher income categories. (See Table 3.7.)

Read more: Victims of Crime - Characteristics Of Victims - Rate, Violent, Households, Rates, Persons, and Crimes http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/446/Victims-Crime-CHARACTERISTICS-VICTIMS.html#ixzz1IMsLamd1

Admittedly a US sociological study, but it does still highlight the divide between violence and the sexes.

And your second field report says 'doubled' in the 5 years, but quite sensationalist when it comes to arrests specifically to violent crime the figure has only increased by 11% ... and give the population increase in the country and devaluing of civil labour, are you surprised?

-----

Edit: Anyways, more on topic is I think this is why you get more male comedians ... because they get emotional, spiritedly more emotional and are generally confused and angry all the time. Or atleast confused. Or atleast confused and becoming angry at their confusion.

And it's funny stuff to comment on how confusing the world is, and the things you don't specifically get and end up speculating on it more than what is possibly healthy.

It's the basis of humour to outline things in reality that irk you. Observational humour ... and I think men are generally more confused by the modern world than women. alot of things that the modern world throws at them they look at and say "hang on a minute! Why is this important!?" ...

And it always good material during a comedy routine ... that's my theory why there are more male comedians, on average not better than female comedians, it's just a theory on why there's more of them.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
There are some out there, like Tina fey (you may disagree, but I couldn't care less), but they are far fewer in number.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Women are not incapable of being good comedians, but no, they rarely have a good understanding of what people find funny or the ability to entertain in that way. That's at least how it is my country, where we have the luxury of a world class comedian, who unfortunately wouldn't be funny in english.
The language barrier is too brutal in comedy. We had a show on tv a couple of years ago where 3 decent comedians tried doing it in english in the UK. It was downright embarrasing, they couldn't convert their material or deliver it well enough.

Edit: Before the potential flaming, let me just add that yes, I can talk to women, and my girlfriend (5 years) agrees with me in the matter. ;)

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I think some of the problem is statistical and a human tendency to remember negatives. If you see ten comedians, 9 male and 1 female and you find half of them funny, if the lady is in the unfunny group then women are terrible comedians. If she is in the funny group, you might not even remember her. You also forget that about half the guys sucked either way.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
moretimethansense said:
It's not just you, but you're all wrong.

There are plenty of female comedians that are funny, fewer than men perhaps but still plenty.

My favourite's Jo Brand.

Good choice, I was gonna go with Sara Millican