Is it just me ... or do women make terrible comedians?

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Man, they're hilarious:

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1425381/107d7624/meisje_met_gitaar.html

(no inbed, hence the link)

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Gonna have to agree only bc the few acts that I have seen do not impress me. Now granted that I have disliked many a male acts there are soo many more of those that I do find ones that I enjoy.

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
Jokes about periods are about as tasteless as jokes about boners, and I see enough of both. I think I see less female comedians than male, but I've seen a few good ones.

I'm assuming you're referring to standup, by the way, because I've seen some actresses here on the Escapist that are quite funny, and Kristen Schaal is great in Flight of the Conchords.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
The Almighty Aardvark said:
TheEndlessSleep said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
most comedians on TV are bad in general
That's just not true...
Could you give some examples? I'm not saying there are none, just that the bad ones easily outnumber the good ones.

And I understand that comedy is objective but if you say Dane Cook I shall be very disappointed.
I don't know what country you're in but here in the UK they only tend to put the best on tv, or at least many more good than bad.

Also, I don't know who dane cook is...

ohngec07

Apr 7, 2010
Christopher Hitchens, a columnist for (mainly) Vanity Fair, author, pundit and perhaps one of the greatest debaters evaaar, also known for trying to - in cooperation with Richard Dawkins - arrest the Pope for crimes against humanity, actually wrote a book about this "fact".
It's called "<a href=http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701>Why Women Aren't Funny" and his one of his biggest arguments (if not the biggest) is that they don't need to.

He explains it kind of like this:
Men are funny because we need to be to get the women to like us. If you can't do that, Natural Selection is likely to take care that your genes aren't going to make it ;)
Women have no need to be funny because - and I quote Hitchens himself: "You don't need to be funny, we already find you attractive, thank you."

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
There are lots of funny actresses, but they don't come up with their own material most of the time.

But Sarah Silverman is quite funny.
Otherwise I can't think of anyone.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Most of the women I've seen aren't that funny. I've definitely seen some funny ones, like Wanda Sykes. She's pretty funny. Most of the time, at least. However, a lot of women also talk about sex, and it's just not funny, no matter who talks about it. People like Lisa Lampinelli are just terrible people in general, so their comedy isn't much better.

The "You gotta LOL" segments at the end of most Blip.tv videos (like the ones on that guy with the glasses) are just terrible.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
qeinar said:
Jonluw said:
I really haven't come across many female comedians. The ones I have seen were terrible though. Not that there aren't enough terrible male comedians out there.
I just don't think there are any particularly funny female comedians in the business at the moment.

If anyone can point me towards a lady that's as funny as Jim Jeffries or George Carlin, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Edit: Christina H. [http://www.cracked.com/members/Mortal%20Wombat] the Cracked.com writer is pretty funny though. Certainly as funny as her male counterparts.

Edit: Anne Kat Hærland and Linn Skåber are pretty funny.
I like how you whipped out 2 norwegian ones...
Of course. Nytt på nytt is very enjoyable after all. And I remember that show Linn Skåber made for herself as being quite funny.

And besides: Norwegian comedy is absolutely brilliant. No, not all of it. You know what I mean:
Linn and Anne Kat aren't on the same level as my favourite comedians (who happen to be male), but they are certainly better than most female comedians I have come across *cough*margaretcho*cough*. They have progressed past the point where they make jokes that only women can relate to. The point it would appear many female comedians are stuck at.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
Amethyst Wind said:
British comedy on the whole is pretty bad regardless of gender.
Ooh, you did not just say that.
I have yet to find a quality comedian that was not British.

ShadowLord180

Nov 10, 2009
I've seen very few female comedians that actually make me laugh. There are a few, but the majority of them just annoy me. Random note: of my favorite female comedians, all but one were lesbians.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Rayne870 said:
you just haven't seen the right ones, there are a lot of terrible ones out there, just as there are terrible male comedians.

I love
She does a rap of Lucy in the sky with diamonds, that is just pricelss. Which isn't in here and I cant find :(
Yet more proof that humour is subjective. YAWN.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Hilarious male comedians:

1. Michael Mcintyre
2. Jimmy Carr
3. Patrick Kielty
4. Jason Manford
5. Jack Dee

Hilarious female comedians

1. Jo Brand

Btw: The two norwegians that were mentioned are some females I consider funny but not hilarious so they don't count on the scoreboard

Conclusion: 5-1 to the male team

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
I haven't read all the posts yet, but has Mary Jo Pehl from MST3K (and sometimes Rifftrax) been mentioned at all? Because seriously, that is one hilarious lady.