Is it just me... or does the Xbox one violate EU laws?

redhatman

Sep 20, 2012
Auron said:
Karadalis said:
Also as i said before: not many months ago the EU made a judgement that generaly speaking a Customer is entitled to reselling his online bought games just.. and this is important.. as if he owned a physical copy of said game.

It doesnt take a brain surgeon to read out of this where the EU stands in terms of pre owned game sales. For them a disk and the data on it can be resold, just not copied.

But pre owned games aside, the 24/7 spying cam of the kinect makes me scratch my head more then anything else.
Oh come on with the Big Brother paranoia...

Anyway that law was everything the europeans on the Steam forums talked about last year, Steam still hasn't created a reselling tool, has it? Don't think it's working out too well.

No one's stopping you from selling a game in the xbox anyway, we're not sure how expensive the fee will be.
The fee to install the used game onto the xbone will apparently be the same as the price of a full game...

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Considering what I'm fast learning about American Corporations, they couldn't really give a damn if it broke European Laws or not.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
redhatman said:
The fee to install the used game onto the xbone will apparently be the same as the price of a full game...
You have got to be shitting me, do you have a link?
They've also said that whatever they previously said about used games was still up for debate (like most of their features, really).

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
KarmaTheAlligator said:
They've also said that whatever they previously said about used games was still up for debate (like most of their features, really).
Man, this is the most confusing reveal I've ever heard...

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Games are software. You don't pay for the disc when you buy a game, you pay to use the software that's stored on said disc. I don't own Halo 4 just because I bought the rights to use a copy of it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
redhatman said:
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

From what I'm gathering from lots of people, the fee will be the full price.

But then there's this:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353538/xbox-one-perform-recurring-online-checks-even-for-offline-play

So they might be considering changing that? But this close to release, I doubt it so hard.

I'm not sure in the first article why they talk about "only buying one copy per console" as a bonus point for consumers. That's how it works now.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
Hands-up if you are getting a PS4 console since the Xbox1 reveal?

Keep them up is you already pre-ordered a PS4 console...
Sorry, but as much as the on-going shitstorm surrounding Xbone makes for entertaining reading, I'm not forgetting that the PS4 has done absolutely nothing to impress. They might not be sticking two fingers up to the consumer in quite such a glamorous fashion, but all I've seen so far are dull sequels with marginally shinier graphics and a 'Share' button.

The way things are going it looks like I'm going to pass over this generation entirely. So far the only console I'd even consider buying, once the price drops and they get some damn games, is the WiiU. I never thought I'd see the day...

OT: I lost all interest in Xbone the second they said Kinect was mandatory. It's nothing to do with worries about privacy, I just don't want to wave my arms around and speak to my console to use it; controllers work just fine, thanks.

xefaros

Jun 27, 2012
Since the thread touch the legal side of things i would like to inquire opinions upon another "legal" thing on the consoles.

Both PS4 and Xbox advertised heavily on the TV integration and Premium stuff from major companies that provide TV and related stuff,but here is the inquiry isnt that false advertising since pretty much outside US these features are unavailable?

Or simply putting an asterisk(*where available) would serve the legal manner of things?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Man, this is the most confusing reveal I've ever heard...
It's a right mess and no doubt about it.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Easton Dark said:
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

From what I'm gathering from lots of people, the fee will be the full price.

But then there's this:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353538/xbox-one-perform-recurring-online-checks-even-for-offline-play

So they might be considering changing that? But this close to release, I doubt it so hard.

I'm not sure in the first article why they talk about "only buying one copy per console" as a bonus point for consumers. That's how it works now.
Christ this is like the Mitt Romney POTUS Campaign, so much confusing and flip flopping.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
LTlewis said:
The best thing to do would be to put some tape over the Kinect. Or turn it around. But if they are the only two options then I think Microsoft have gone soft in the head (Bad pun laugh)
I would like to think so, but what if you get a big "error, kinect cant read you, please replace to optimal postition" and while this comes up your screen freezes. Kinda like when the battery dies in your controller and the game freezes and tells you to replace batteries.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
Nah, a lot of people I know have laptops with webcams that only turn on when they want it
Except if they have malware that turns the camera on without you knowing. And there is such stuff. There are even applications you can install on the computer (well, as opposed to "infect with") if anybody has physical access to it. Goes straight by the antivirus, since a user action. Did anybody fiddle with your laptop lately? Did anybody fiddle with theirs? I dunno, but the widespread of facebook rapes (when people forget to lock their laptops and a friend gets a hold of it) points at the possibility that you're not very secure.

The "I control my laptop webcam" is more a myth than a reality. It can run without your knowledge, very easy, too, made even easier by not acknowledging it.

Karadalis said:
1) You cannot turn it off.. it will be even on when in standby mode. Why? So it is "ready" for you when you want to activate your xbox via voice command or hand motion.. ergo it DOES watch you 24/7 aslong as you provide electricity to it.
But can you prove the information is then being sent over anywhere? Because it could as easily be passively monitoring for sound, if any it turns up to passively monitor for commands, if any, goes into "command mod". Otherwise just discards the data immediately. That's an important distinction when, you know, making accusations.

Diablo1099 said:
redhatman said:
From my understanding (read: my flatmate telling me. He watched the reveal and read more news. But he could have been theorising) it's the "full price" as in, the cut Microsoft get from a game, not just 60 bucks to unlock a second hand game.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
DoPo said:
Except if they have malware that turns the camera on without you knowing. And there is such stuff. There are even applications you can install on the computer (well, as opposed to "infect with") if anybody has physical access to it. Goes straight by the antivirus, since a user action. Did anybody fiddle with your laptop lately? Did anybody fiddle with theirs? I dunno, but the widespread of facebook rapes (when people forget to lock their laptops and a friend gets a hold of it) points at the possibility that you're not very secure.
Oh, that's going to do wonders for my Paranoia...

Still, The light comes on when it's on i'm the only one in my house that even knows HOW to access it so yeah.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
DoPo said:
Oh, that's going to do wonders for my Paranoia...

Still, The light comes on when it's on i'm the only one in my house that even knows HOW to access it so yeah.
Erm, the malware doesn't turn the light on. Otherwise it would be kinda failing it's job to be subtle and everything.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
DoPo said:
Erm, the malware doesn't turn the light on. Otherwise it would be kinda failing it's job to be subtle and everything.
OH FUCK YOU!
Now I'm going to have to reformat my damn laptop just to be able to sleep at night! DX

OT: Now imagine going through this with your games console with your children playing it :p

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
There is a lot of speculation atm that people are quoting as fact. I'm pretty sure the Xbox One has an option to turn the Kinect off, otherwise the FTC would be all over them as it would clearly be in violation of privacy laws and regulations.

DoPo said:
From my understanding (read: my flatmate telling me. He watched the reveal and read more news. But he could have been theorising) it's the "full price" as in, the cut Microsoft get from a game, not just 60 bucks to unlock a second hand game.
From what I read, the Xbone will have a no-disk feature for new games, but to unlock said feature on used games you need to pay a fee and be online, and the reason they require you to install games onto the hard drive is because Blu-ray has a slower read-write speed than DVD, so you would be stuck waiting at loading screens longer, same reason the PS3 did.

Captcha: Know your rights (seems kinda topical)

Stip45

Aug 11, 2008
Also, is it me or does this

Look a lot like this?

For those two of you that don't know 2001: a space odyssey, that's the HAL 9000

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
I remember there being a ruling, I think it was involved with the Copyright transfer agreement, saying that customer's legally have the right to sell any content or device that they have legally purchased without restriction. I feel like the additional fee for used games violates that in some regards.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
But the ability to turn off the kinect sensor would stop the Spybox from taking pictures of your living room, and watching who you hang out with and taking pictures of you and your friends face to then upload to a database that can be accessed by government agencies without your expressed permission! ...

>.>

<.<

Yeah, just don't buy the thing. Get A PS4, I hear they don't care who you are.