Is it ok to kill spiders?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes? Sorry but with the OP statement in mind doesn't that apply to any other insect that you can killed aswell like a fly, moth etc or even an ant that we may step on being unaware of?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i find that in the large scheme of things, unless you're actively making a point of killing all spiders, you're probably not going to be able to kill enough to make yourself spider hitler

that being said, i think i spend too much time/effort trying to get spiders to get back out of sight when they don't have enough perspective to flee in the direction i intended

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
This honestly depends if you live in Australia or elsewhere.

If in Australia, take no chances man. I'm not sure how many potentially deadly spiders are in Australia, but I believe its a fair bit and some 'particularly' enjoy the domestic environment.

ELsewhere, the chances of having a giant spider in your home is pretty small. Most likely all you'll have are "good guy" jumping spiders and the occasional orb web building a lattice over your window. Those are fine imo.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Well, sure it's OKAY, but there's not really any reason to. I'd like to point out that we're about 1000 times their size. With the exception of the poisonous ones, they can't hurt us in the slightest.

I just put them outside if I catch them, or otherwise leave them alone. I used to play with them all the time when I was a kid, garden spiders are actually really friendly. That or really stupid.

Aug 1, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, there's no value in any life.

What little manufactured value there is comes from the possibility to create and the level of intelligence/possible intelligence a creature has.

I also don't believe in terms like "Ok" in the phrase "Is it ok to do X"

Every moral system is different. A lot of people will say yes it is ok, a lot will say it isn't. The point is, it isn't up to us/them. It's up to you. Only you can determine what you feel bad about.
If you think it's ok, then yes, it is absolutely ok. If you think it isn't ok, then it simply isn't ok.

Also, 6 pages of posts about this? Seriously people?

SimpleThunda said:
and karma will strike back at you one way or the other.
This line actually makes me think your entire series of posts were created for the purpose of making fun of the people defending the spiders.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Personally, I try not to.

Partially because I become cripplingly terrified if they get too close, and partially because I don't believe they deserve to die.

I'd rather set them outside where they can be happy and free and away from me than have to deal with squishy spider remains.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
First of all i would like to state that i live in location that does not have spiders with deadly poison. the poisonous spiders here will give you a rash (that more often than not need no medical attention) and are usually far smaller (there are ones as big as a palm of the hand, but no monsters from australia). so my opinion may be biased a bit this way.

I NEVER kill spiders. i either ignore them or put them outside. it depends on situation. if it is by a window ill let it stay since hes useful there.
Main reas: spiders catch flies (i dont mind flies, i actually had a few as a pet), mosquitos and other similar creatures. Due to extensive fishing, the fish population has gone down, which mean the natural order of fish eating mosquito eggs have got damaged. result? at least 15 times increase in mosquito population that is BLOODY ANNOYING. so any mosquito caught by a spider is a win situation. the more spiders the better.

and if your killing spiders your part of the problem.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
few months ago i put a huntsman spider:
the size of my face outside. it took me about 40 minuets of getting a bowl and piece of paper over it and i was scared shitless but these guys are the puppy dogs of the spider kingdom. even if you pick them up with your hands 99.9% of the time they wont bite you and if they do it won't kill you so i don't see why i should be it's judge jury and executioner.

i also have a funnel web living in my car door mirror. i draw the line at the bastards entering my house and will kill them but when i see him start to peek outside the mirror i just quickly roll up the window, cry a bit in terror and keep on driving.
needless to say i'm the sort of person who doesn't like killing things.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Feedmeketamine said:
Abomination said:
Is it human? No? Then I'll kill it because it suits me. My ancestors didn't spend 20,000 years struggling their way up to the top of the food chain for me to pussy out about killing something that could threaten me.

That being said, the one thing that saves bugs from my wrath is not any sense of me being moral but because killing them tends to create a disgusting mess. I'd rather just remove them from my property than need to deal with disposing of the body and waste.
That's where my blood-lust comes from, like, my ancestors hunted fucking mammoth to extinction, this spider should be nothing more than a stain on my carpet

Contradicting that, my Buddhist philosophy kicks in, saying everything has an equal right to life, as long as that spiders doing its right spidery thing, and not organising mass genocide against jewish or gyspy or gay spiders then let it do its spidery thing.
In that case this sounds like a moral conflict that can only be solved internally. For future reference however, spider bites are actually rarely lethal to humans, with even the more infamous spiders such as the black widow and brown recluse only being life threatening to people with specific, pre-existing conditions, the very young or the very elderly.

Also take in to account that to pretty much every spider ever, you are Cthulhu to them. Like, night literally, a spiders vision normally doesn't even allow it to see you in your entirety. The mere sight of you sitting upon your cyclopean porcelain throne was probably enough to drive that spider to the brink of madness (relative to spiders of course)

lechat said:
few months ago i put a huntsman spider:
the size of my face outside. it took me about 40 minuets of getting a bowl and piece of paper over it and i was scared shitless but these guys are the puppy dogs of the spider kingdom. even if you pick them up with your hands 99.9% of the time they wont bite you and if they do it won't kill you so i don't see why i should be it's judge jury and executioner.

i also have a funnel web living in my car door mirror. i draw the line at the bastards entering my house and will kill them but when i see him start to peek outside the mirror i just quickly roll up the window, cry a bit in terror and keep on driving.
needless to say i'm the sort of person who doesn't like killing things.
Aww, that huntsman is kind of adorable in that picture. It's all relaxed looking, that's the kind of spider you could have a beer with, heh.

As for funnel webs, those guys are complete bastards I hear. Aggressive, with a very painful, sometimes toxic bite. I'd try to get that one to clear out if I were you, if not outright annihilate that sucker.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Thats true, I think what im going to have to do is say theres 1 rule for spiders generally in the house, and then theres another for spiders when im taking a shit.

TeamDei

Aug 4, 2013
I try not to; depends how lazy I am that day.
Sometimes I'll see them run around my house and I'll be like "meh".
Other times I'll catch them and release them outside.
Few times I'll get annoyed and I'll kill them (I probably found those spiders in my bedroom).
And if they are outside, I leave them alone.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
How do you know he didn't mean you any harm? He'd kill you just to put a web over your ass, then catch the flies drawn to your stench to feed his young.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
If a spider comes into my house its open season. Even more so if its a poisonous spider. I put the dead spiders on toothpicks near the doors and windows as a keep out sign to other spiders. They should know better.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
There are SO many bugs where I live that I try to let spiders off with a pass so they'll keep the rest of them in line. However, I draw the line when I see a spider in my bathroom. I don't do confined spaces with creatures who like the personification of death itself.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
weirdguy said:
i find that in the large scheme of things, unless you're actively making a point of killing all spiders, you're probably not going to be able to kill enough to make yourself spider hitler
Oh god, I just got the scariest mental image of "spider hitler" ever. That would be pretty much the ultimate video game boss enemy.

Anyhoo, I definitely realize how hypocritical I am about spiders. Basically none of the spiders in my area are capable of causing any harm. It's all about appearances when you really look at it. I mean, I'm not afraid of cats even though I've been painfully scratched and bitten by many cats. Your average cute little housecat is capable of about 1,000,000 times more pain and suffering than an average spider.

I try to ignore spiders if I see them in an out-of-the-way corner. I know they're misunderstood and even helpful for bug control, but if they intrude on my personal space they get squooshed.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
There must be something wrong with me, since spiders have never really bothered me. Seriously, once I'm wrapping myself in a towel after a shower and a daddy longlegs climbs up between my breasts and onto my shoulder. I just watched it munch on the edge of a scab for what must have been a minute before it occurred to me most people would have freaked out. Okay, so those things aren't *technically* spiders but they look even weirder.

Oh! If you ever get the opportunity to drop a daddy longlegs from a considerable height, do it. They spread their legs and float down spinning. Too bad they're propably not sophisticated enough creatures to enjoy the ride...still, looks pretty funny.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I cannot speak for other countries that have venomous spiders but in Britain killing spiders is a bad idea, they keep the numbers of other unpleasant insects down. Flies, bed bugs, silverfish and anything else unpleasant in the house won't stand a chance of getting a foothold if there are spiders around. By killing them you increase the risk of getting infested by something else.

British spiders don't bother me one bit either, most cannot even bite you because they don't have the fangs for it. If I lived in a country with dangerous ones I would be more careful, watched a video once of an Australian that recommended using a Dyson to get them out of the house. You can just suck them up into the dust bucket and then dump them safely.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
When it comes to spiders and their right to live, I try to follow the instructions of this sign as well as I can.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I have absolutley no problem with people squashing spiders but I don't do it myself anymore. My Ex used to insist i squash any insect that came inside because she was paranoid that if I put it outside it would come back in. As someone who has a real problem being told what to do I have pretty much made sure to move them on un-squashed ever since, even when I would kind-rather crush them.