Is it possible to get through Dragon Age Origins without a healer?

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Couldn't do it. Even if I didn't need it in the battle, can't leave Wynne behind just because she juices everyone's health and mana after the fights over. Plus, need I even mention the Broodmother? I couldn't get out of there without a healer, usually because if I didn't bring one, I would have used quite a few of my potions in the Deep Roads getting there. Good luck if you do though, and let us know how it goes.

Klom

Mar 28, 2011
I did it, but my warden was an arcane warrior. The other party members died, a lot, but the warden was nigh untouchable.

Playing through with a warrior I found it far more difficult, so ended up using Wynne.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Yes.

Two words: Arcane Warrior. If you play it correctly, you're more or less invincible.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I found it difficult i until i got wynne and it became much easier and decided that was going to be the only way i played through the game, finished it like 3 or 4 times and constantly used wynne to be honest. but it will be possible just not easy.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
One word: Yes. On my first playthrough (normal diff.) Wynne got slaughtered in the Circle part (honest misunderstanding, really) so I had to make do without. Lotsa poultices, party members configured to use them as needed, simple heal spell here and there... easy.

Healer makes your life easier but is hardly irreplaceable. DAO would be a deeply flawed game if you couldn't play it without a healer, especially if the game allows you to not have one.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
You can solo the entire game as soon as you get a decently geared Blood-Arcane Mage-Tank. All you need is some mana and health-pots. If you got the DLC installed - like Return to Ostaghar - you will become invincible in King Cailens armor.

Alkali

Nov 25, 2009
As Klom did, I had an Arcane Warrior Warden, and stomped through it pretty easily.
Zevran, Oggers and Leliana had more trouble.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Its doable. You don't really have to make either a dedicated healer though to make it much easier. Just give them both the basic heal, that will help immensely.

Other tips :

I. Get as many tanks/non-squishies as you can. Without a healer you need to slow down your damage intake so your potions can cool down.

II. Potions are on different cooldowns. You can use your best potion and still have all the rest available in emergencies.

III. CC is your friend, more so than normal. Since you cannot fix damage, you need to prevent it. A stunned enemy does no damage.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I've never needed a designated healer. However I usually play as a mage with Morrigan in my party with both having some healing spells.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
If you play as blood mage + arcane warrior you can almost solo the whole fucking game

I never understood the difficulty complaints DA:O received, as long as you don't use the useless characters (leliana and zevran) the game is pretty simple, even on nightmare (was that what the hardest difficulty was called? don't remember)

MADrevilution

Nov 2, 2010
i did it, it was easy, dont see what the big deal about not using a healer is, granted the last boss might have gone by faster but i had enough health potions so i didng die once during it.

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
I've beat it on normal as a rogue and a party consisting of a tank, a two-handed warrior, and a nuke mage build. Once you get Storm of the Century killing large groups of enemies is pretty easy as long as you scout their locations with a stealthed rogue. Bosses are also pretty easy to beat if you micromanage the rogue well (most bosses use slow, powerful attacks that play to the rogue's advantage due to dodging). You may want to configure your party to automatically use poultices when they're at low health though, gets rid of a lot of hassle healing everyone all the time.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, I think you can. Origins is an incredibly easy game if you have experience with RPG's of that style or at the very least know what you're doing.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I played through approximately 1/2 of the game on normal without using a healer. My team basically consisted to Morrigan, Myself (rogue), Alistair, and whomever else I felt like at the time (usually Leliana or Sten). I can't remember the point at which I switched it to easy, but I rarely ever used Wynne and proceeded to the beat the game with basically the same companions throughout. And yes, I did use a metric fuckton of potions.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
It's totally possible. While I used Wynne A LOT, my friend's never even recruited her and he did much better than I. Just hit hard and always have potions, I guess.