is it wrong for guys to shed tears?

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
I dont think theres anything wrong with it, I just tend not to do it very often. Its not a macho thing either its just me being myself. I think that makes it all the more noticeable when I am actually crying and my friends know something is up.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think it's wrong at all for guys to shed tears.

They have feelings too, and shouldn't be ashamed of showing emotion.
If they feel they have the need to cry, then let it out.
And I don't think of them as less manly either for doing so.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
It's not wrong for men to cry sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to cry ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.
You could say that for literally anything.

Is it wrong for men to brush their teeth sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to brush their teeth ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.

Is it wrong for men/women to masturbate sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to masturbate ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.

Is it wrong for men to play the trombone sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to play the trombone ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.

fatmrbunko

Jan 24, 2011
really depends on situation
for example: if a gets a bad hair cut or a bruise they defintely shouldnt cry...if someone they know has just died then its completely up to their emotions

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
mireko said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
It's not wrong for men to cry sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to cry ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.
You could say that for literally anything.

Is it wrong for men to brush their teeth sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to brush their teeth ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.

Is it wrong for men/women to masturbate sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to masturbate ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.

Is it wrong for men to play the trombone sometimes? ... Of course not.

Is it ANNOYING for ANYONE to play the trombone ALL THE TIME? ... Yes.
Suppose so, just wanted to make what I meant clear, rather than just say 'no', because about 20 people had said that already.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Crying has its time and place for both men and women. As a woman, I don't like doing it in public but it can be very refreshing when you need it.

I don't think men shouldn't be taught not to cry. Of course you should be taught to be brave and have control over yourself, but there are moments when crying is expected and welcomed. It's a great stress release, and sometimes it's just plain involuntary. I cry when I laugh if something's funny enough.

All things in moderation, though. It is kind of creepy for a person to burst into tears all the time, regardless of their gender.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Aethren said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hope it's not wrong.

I cry at the drop of a hat, basically.

Most recently, I cried at the end of Fruits Basket and came close to tears at the end of "The Fighter". Hell, I cried at the end of Dragon Age: Origins.

I cry "happy" tears, even. Even when everything wraps up nicely.
You cried after Fruits Basket? Better stay far away from Clannad then.

And go with Smugleaf.
Yeah Clannad almost made me cry. The alternate ending though. The "real" ending I did not approve of.

I did shed a manly tear at the good ending of Bioshock. Even though it was just hands. And Lost Odyssey made me cry.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I don't really like it when anyone cries too much. Crying is appropriate in certain situations, like:

1) Losing a loved one or family member
2) Losing your job or a vast amount of money
3) Losing in a competition in which you have put years of your life into winning
4) Or because you've lost a meaningful relationship

If people cry because of the 4 things mentioned above, I totally understand why they are crying and I do not mind. But other than that, I really don't like it when people cry too much.

But what I really can't stand is the wailing. Crying, sure. But the hysterics and the wailing and the moaning and the shrieking? It really annoys me. I will accept that if you've lost a family member recently, it can be acceptable to wail and shout, but in all other cases, if you're going to cry, PLEASE DO IT QUIETLY. I don't mind sniffling or tears or a few quiet sobs, but PLEASE, don't scream and shout and wail like the world's coming to an end, unless you've lost a family member, or you're about to die. Those are the only two circumstances in which loud crying is acceptable.

But to answer your question, no, I don't dislike the sight of men crying any more than I dislike the sight of girls crying.

akibawall95

Mar 30, 2010
Of course not mostly because you should not care what others think.
I try not to but I will shed a tear if am in massive pain (luckily I have a high pain tolerance). There are also times like when something terribly sad happens, like when a family member dies. I might cry tears of joy or happiness but those are far less common for me. And from what I have heard some women like a sensitive man. But I try to look strong while I cry and not look like a baby.

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
Ewww.. I thought we left these macho stereotypes behind in the 20th Century. Time to grow up, Boys DO cry.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
No it's not. I find it manly for dudes to cry because they don't give a fuck what others think.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
the worst fucking thing in the world for me is my father crying....its happens rarely, but when it does I die alittle. Also my husband...

And funnily enough watching Will Smith cry KILLS me and I can't help but weep with him, that agony in leaps to his face....bascially the best authentic cryer in film these days

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
No. The whole guys not crying thing is a left over from when we thought men where superior to women and must be tough and unemotional. The entire thing is a ideal from a bygone era we should just forget about.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
It's not wrong. At least not to me.

Frankly, it would draw me more towards a man who can cry.

But I suppose the main thing is for relatively serious things. You don't want a whiny man.

I think that's what the main concern is for women who don't like men crying. They worry it's too feminine. But few times I've seen manly tears haven't looked girly to me.

Maybe it just depends. Of course, every time I see a guy cry or hear it at all, I tend to start weeping with them so it probably wouldn't benefit them in any way with us both in tears.

Jenneh

Jan 27, 2011
Girls dont rly care. Some bitchy ones might if u randomly burst into tears all the time, but other then that its kind of sweet. Reminds us that you arent machines (not that we necessarily think you are anyway)

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
I didn't realize crying is considered a conscious act. And if it's unconscious, then there's really not much you can do about it.