is lollipop chainsaw bastardizing our industry?

Nuclear Pancake

Aug 29, 2009
I think these games are bound to come out whatever happens merely to cash in on the sillyness factor aswell as possible the slightly sexually repressed but overall if the gameplay is no good then it won't make any money and futher similar titles will be approached with caution.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
[generic agreement with people on the thread]

[explanation to why I think so, that is ultimately similar to what has been put forward already]

[a statement that implies that OP made a mad thread and should feel bad for it]

Is it all right if I don't fill this in? I think I'll go and tarnish some of the image of gaming, because I like actually having fun rather than overthink the existence of games, their place in the universe, and meditate on their karmic cycle.

the abyss gazes also

Professional Over Thinker
Apr 10, 2012
As one snowy doesn't disprove global warming, nor does one really hot summer prove it, one game shouldn't be used to judge the industry or gamers. Will people use this as a way to say all gamers are hormonal little boys? Most likely. But that doesn't make it true. If however we get 50 games in a row that copy paste the T&A formula of this game then maybe we can talk about it as a patern... (WET, Tomb Raider, Tera... crap)

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Is it "bastardizing our industry"? No.

Is it stupid? Well... yeah.

Is it silly, overtly sexualizing and possibly demeaning to women? Possibly, depending upon the observer.

Does it make gamers look juvenile, sexist and frankly stupid when the media latches onto things like this and uses them to represent the gaming community as a whole (which to all you highn'mighty gamenrrd white-knighters already ripping on the OP, you KNOW they do and probably WILL)? Yep.

Will that actually hurt gaming as a whole? Nope. Not bloody likely.

I think the wording of your original question is a bit off, and maybe the sentiments behind it as well. But I can see what you're saying and there is some merit to it. Although the banality of the game is pretty blatant, and it's nothing new or interesting, I'm sure it's as fun as everything before it which it's copy-pasting. *shrugs* Not worth my dollar, but to someone else, hey, go for it. S'no better or worse than any of the other games shoveled out of the studios the past few decades.

Chick in skimpy outfit with improbable weapon fights monsters in overtly sexual style? Nothing special, but probably fun enough. Bayonetta meets Buffy with twice the cliches.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I agree that this should have no more impact on the game industry's reputation than the "Movie" movies did on the film industry's etc, etc. I also agree that the first commandment of gaming is Thou Shalt Not Take a Suda 51 Game Seriously.

Unfortunately, it's perfectly possible that some people (most likely parents of young teenagers) might react to LPC in the way you described, because most people do not treat gaming the same way they treat movies, music, books and any other media. It's also extremely unlikely that anyone outside gaming is going to know about Suda 51 and therefore they may well take it seriously (hell, even the OP apparently did, and this is a gaming forum).

None of this means that we should demand the powers that be "ban this sick filth" however.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Those who judge an entire groups appearance by one member of said group has earned that their opinion is not worth listening to.

You shouldn't care either man, someone made a game that people are gona find questionable. Well chip away at any game and you'll find something to ***** about because it may harm children or some crap.

Get over this first world issue man, theres more fucked up shit you should be worried about.

Good day *Top hats away*.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
is there a jpeg with Suda51 that says successful troll successful out there? I need to find one for these threads.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Vault101 said:
no

its the kind of silly you don't get fussed over...kind of like Bayonetta
Pretty much this, only Bayonetta was an actually good game.
LPC is basically an 80s B-action movie that should not be taken seriously because of how ridiculous it is.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Oh, piss off does it.
It's a stupid game for some stupid fun and people who take this kind of stuff seriously need to remove the 50 sticks they have stuck up their arses. (No offence.)
The worst thing the game does for the gaming media as a whole is be a short game. I for one cannot wait for it to go down in price so it doesn't feel like I'm wasting £30 on a short game.
And all of that glorious common sense read in the voice of stephen fry.

Yeah...I can't really say much more. This argument falls apart with two simple points.

One cannot condemn an entire genre/medium because of a single work from it.

This particular work is made to be ridiculous, and over the top.

Yep. This is a whole big pile of wrong.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
I thought the "Overall Message of Gaming" was "Have Fun."?

We have our ShellShocks, our Diakatana's. We also have our Journey's and Bioshock's. Why can't we have Lollipop's and Saint's Row's or GTA's as well?
That's what I was trying to get at, basically.

It kind of got buried in the frothing of nerd-rage at the audacity of critically analyzing a game like Lollipop Chainsaw of all games.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Zeckt said:
This game is made to be a mockery and joke like scary movie, do yourself a favor and do not take it seriously and take it at face value. I would try it because it might be fun and funny as a satire game. Not everything has to be serious.
But that sounds like a game designed purely to be fun and we all know that is not allowed.

KrabbiPatty

Jan 16, 2008
It's made by James Gunn. Of course it bastardizes the industry, James Gunn is the God Emperor of Hipster Douchebags, he's like a Scott Pilgrim comic that became sentient and decided to wipe out it's creators in revenge for its tortured existence. What did you expect?

Don't even get me started on the human Trollface that is Dusha 51.

Yeah I insulted Suda 51, bring it internet.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
No, they do not.

If someone looks at LPC and thinks that gaming is lesser for it, they never thought well of gaming to begin with. It's an incredibly stupid way to look at an entire industry. LPC did not convince them that the industry was childish; they thought the industry was childish already and are just using this as a convenient poster-child.

I don't think that the movie industry is a bunch of horned up children because Piranha 3DD exists. I don't think books are nothing but girlish fantasies because Twilight is a book. Same applies here to anyone willing to use their brain for a few seconds.
This, just this.

Do I think LollyPop Chainsaw looks stupid? Yeah, obviously. But I dont think its going to do anymore harm to the game industry than "No Russian" or anything like that. Hell, I doubt anybody (unless looking for something to use) is going to even care enough about LPC to even complain.