Is Mass Effect an jRPG?

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Pretty much this.

Not gonna defend jRPGs since usually I bash them but wRPGs were turn base and had random encounters too,they just moved on(I played alot Might and Magic,Wizardry,Bard's Tale etc when i was a kid). I'm pretty sure jRPGs will eventually move on from this old and obsolete combat system.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
It's a shooter.
Doesn't that almost automatically greatly distance Mass Effect(2) from the common JRPG stereotype?

And the father thing is a rather tenuous similarity, if ya ask me.

I mean, I agree that Mass Effect 2 doesn't fit the mold of a classic wRPG.
I honestly think ME2 is more of a love child of a shooter and a wRPG.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Doesn't it have to be japanese to be a JRPG? Isn't that the whole purpose of the "J"? Or is it something that I've missed here?

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
IamQ said:
Doesn't it have to be japanese to be a JRPG? Isn't that the whole purpose of the "J"? Or is it something that I've missed here?
The danger of long posts,as many it seems you stoped reading at the word jRPG without actually reading my reasons that made me draw that line...it's ok. But yeah i know it's not a japanese game if that's the question.

Cheery Lunatic said:
It's a shooter.
Doesn't that almost automatically greatly distance Mass Effect(2) from the common JRPG stereotype?

Again I'm not talking of the game as a whole or not even the combat system per se,which is a shooter. I'd say a good shooter but then again my last FPS I actually played was FEAR 1.

Nov 28, 2007
First off, no, it's not a jRPG. It wasn't mad in Japan, and thus, is not a jRPG.

Second, not all jRPGs are Final Fantasy. Let's use the list posted earlier, and apply it to Dragon Quest VIII.
Teh Jammah said:
Lessee...

No BFS's-Nope. Maybe hammers and scythes, but I don't recall any BFS's.
The Villain doesn't have long white hair-The first, fake-out villain does. But not the Big Bad.
Nobody has crazy hair-Nope, no crazy hair. Except maybe Yangus's hat.
Complete absence of bishounen-OK, Angelo is definitely bishonen. But that's more of Japanese games in general, not just jRPGs. Just look at Dante in Devil May Cry.
You don't have a kawai anthropomorphic sidekick-Nope. A princess-turned-horse, but no anthropomorphic sidekicks.
No turn based combat-Guilty.
No 'random' encountersGuilty.
Developed by a western game developer...-Guilty.

... no, not a jRPG. It's debatable whether or not 2 is even an wRPG as opposed to a cover based shooter with lots of talking. Maybe it borrowed a couple of things from jRPGs that worked, maybe it didn't. But it is not a jRPG.
Let's see...4 and a half out of 8. That's barely more than 50% of the "traits" supposedly found in jRPGs. Yet I don't think anyone would argue that Dragon Quest VIII isn't a jRPG.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Cenequus said:
IamQ said:
The danger of long posts,as many it seems you stoped reading at the word jRPG without actually reading my reasons that made me draw that line...it's ok. But yeah i know it's not a japanese game if that's the question.

Cheery Lunatic said:
It's a shooter.

Again I'm not talking of the game as a whole or not even the combat system per se,which is a shooter. I'd say a good shooter but then again my last FPS I actually played was FEAR 1.
I didn't read it when making the comment, but even after I read it, it didn't change my opinion.

It could be called "Binal Hantasy" featuring Roud and Lepphiroth with identical gameplay and characters 100% to final fantasy 7, but it would still be just a RPG because it ain't made in japan.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
It's barely any kind of RPG*, and isn't made in Japan. So, not a JRPG.

*Although of course there are as many definitions for "RPG" as there are RPG players.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
SpartanBlackman said:
Is KotOR 2, widely regarded as one of the best RPGs ever, a Waifu simulator?
KOTOR 2 isn't well regarded on this forum. People here treat it like it set their dog on fire or something. Personally, I love it.
I recently downloaded a mod that restores all the cut content for that game. Makes everything make a whole lot more sense. Liked the game myself.

OT: No Mass Effect should never be called a JRPG there's quite a difference.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
SpartanBlackman said:
There is ONE romance in mass effect. ONE. It is COMPLETLY AVOIDABLE. Calling it a Waifu sim just shows that you are so scared of anything to do with romance or sex that you instantly label something a "waifu sim" because of it.
That post you responded to was clearly 100% srs bsns. But it is true that there is certainly a portion of the Mass Effect fanbase that treats it life a waifu sim. BSN is a scary place, man.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
SpartanBlackman said:
There is ONE romance in mass effect. ONE. It is COMPLETLY AVOIDABLE. Calling it a Waifu sim just shows that you are so scared of anything to do with romance or sex that you instantly label something a "waifu sim" because of it.
That post you responded to was clearly 100% srs bsns. But it is true that there is certainly a portion of the Mass Effect fanbase that treats it life a waifu sim. BSN is a scary place, man.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
SpartanBlackman said:
Well, considering there was a rather large discussion about what Tali's sweat might possibly taste like, and there were very few people in the topic who were disgusted by that, I would agree with you. I mean, what the fuck is wrong with those people?

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
IamQ said:
Cenequus said:
IamQ said:

Cheery Lunatic said:
It's a shooter.

I didn't read it when making the comment, but even after I read it, it didn't change my opinion.

It could be called "Binal Hantasy" featuring Roud and Lepphiroth with identical gameplay and characters 100% to final fantasy 7, but it would still be just a RPG because it ain't made in japan.
My point wasn't fix on the label per se of jRPG but how it uses some elements that define that genre. Same goes for RPG in general to answer widelly,beyond the label but still using a label just for easier identification.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Your argument is based entirely around the fact that two of the characters have a family member involved in their personal loyalty mission. Or that SOME of the other crew members have detailed pasts and problems. Big whoop. That doesn't make it a jrpg. That just means that the characters have depth.

It's not made in japan. The main character is not an angst filled teen with ridiculous hair. It isn't particularly linear. It is not limited in side quests. There are a ton of side missions. (Loyalty missions count as side missions too, ya know.)

Your argument is severely flawed.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
It's a crappy linear waifu simulator-slash-generic space marine third person shooter, but it's not a JRPG.

poppabaggins said:
Mass Effect actually lets you develop a personality for your character via dialog choices. JRPGs lock you in to what the designers want you to do. There really aren't any RPG elements in JRPGs, so the term is definitely a misnomer.

And, for the record: stats do not equal role playing
I bet you're the kind of person who thinks every JRPG is like Final Fantasy.

And for the record: You don't know what you're talking about.

NotYetForsaken

Power in Procedure
Sep 27, 2010
Let's see what you addressed.

1. Mass Effect is a linear story with side quests.

2. The Characters fit JRPG cliche's.

Now to address those concerns simply.

1. Any RPG, Western or Eastern fall easily into this. There is a main story, and there are little side distractions that flavour the world.

The Hero: Commander Shepard.
The Lancer(s): Garrus Vakarian, Miranda Lawson, and Jacob Taylor.
The Smart Guy: Mordin Solus and Thane Krios.
The Big Guy(s): Urdnot Grunt, Zaeed Massani and Subject Zero/Jack.
The Chick: Kasumi Goto and Tali'Zorah vas Neema.
Sixth Ranger: Legion and Samara.
Token Evil Teammate: Morinth (if you choose her over Samara). If not chosen, Jack fills this role as well.

Those are the proper cliche's that the team fits into. These can be found nearly anywhere in fiction. Your accusation is broad and firmly clumps a genre of games together as one to exemplify a misguided view.

On the flip side, with Japan's culture saturation it's nearly impossible to avoid either Japanese influence or Japan being influenced itself. So traces of it are just in most people's psyche and that's what gets the comparison marked off to.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I haven't seen anyone with ridiculous hairstyle in mass effect(except the aliens) and there were no teenage girls to be found so no, its no a JRPG.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Guys, he obviously means that ME shares features of JRPGs and is obviously not Japanese. I feel sad for having to point that out to some of you.

But yes it does share some features, you play roles for one.