Is MGS5 most overrated game of this generation?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
No, people just like things you don't and you like things people don't. It's just a fact of life.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't deserving of praise. It just isn't your cup of tea and that's OK.

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
I highly enjoyed MGS5 until halfway Chapter 2. At that point, we could all tell Konami wanted it rushed out the door. Its clearly unfinished, the plot is practically non-existent and more could have been done with the open world concept. However, I still think the stealth gameplay is fantastic. Just thinking about it makes me want to boot it up again. I don't regret playing it at all. It is most certainly not overrated.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
This game is overrated? I really haven't seen any criticism that really embellished it. I played the first act myself and kinda liked the gameplay, but found it just way too messy and the story was outright boring. It's alright in the end, I guess: fish/10.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Metal Gear Solid V is in several senses Hideo Kojima's attempt to create a Ubisoft game without the benefit of Ubisoft's immense global resources and casual ability to sink 5 years of development time into a deeply troubled game in a completely new IP and turn it into a smash hit. (Watch_Dogs) Wheras Ubisoft have engines at their disposal such as Dunia, which is a CryEngine fork -- in short, an engine derived from an engine which was basically made for huge scale open world games, Kojima had to make his own engine. The end results were not all that impressive when you consider just how visually limited the game world of MGS V really is.

MGS V is like a combination of Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Far Cry 4. The Blacklist influence is beyond any denial, I think. The open world gameplay with stealth fortress infiltrations and plant gathering and all that feels very heavily influenced by Far Cry 4 and its predecessor, Far Cry 3.

And on top of that is Kojima's deep love of the Mad Max/Shaun the Sheep school of storytelling, which favors lingering gazes over dialogue. While MGS V does indeed have cut content, the overall structure of the game is deeply intentional. The characters are not supposed to talk all that much because to Kojima, Mad Max 4 is the most awesomest film of all time and Max has about 10 lines of dialogue in it, most of them consisting of a single word or so.

And of course then you've got Chapter 2, which is an epilogue. People seem to think there's some "missing half" of the game, when the true nature of Chapter 2 is a small collection of stories intended to show how the Diamond Dogs deal with the truth that killing Skull Face achieved basically nothing of significance. It was all nothing. Bitterness and emptiness.

And again, this is rather Ubisoft-esque. Ubisoft games sometimes end on very bleak, unhappy notes. The final boss battle in Splinter Cell: Blacklist had no real sense of grand achievement or closure to it. It was two men scrabbling around in the snow fighting to the death. Kojima spurned the idea that characters need boss battles, but the principle is the same.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Xsjadoblayde said:
I dunno, it was fairly forgettable. But can't be as overrated as Quantum Break or Hitman though, can it?
Since neither of those two games have come out, effectively meaning the public (you included) has yet to play them, that's an odd claim to make.

Or perhaps you have played them. Mind sharing some insight with the class?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
I dunno, it was fairly forgettable. But can't be as overrated as Quantum Break or Hitman though, can it?
Since neither of those two games have come out, effectively meaning the public (you included) has yet to play them, that's an odd claim to make.

Or perhaps you have played them. Mind sharing some insight with the class?
I was merely referencing a previous thread by the OP that believes these two games are the seeds of a god. Overrated is a stupid term, so was meant as a mockery. A game has to be rated before it cane be overrated. But even that is opinion. Opinion of opinions are useless. Unless those opinions are fuelling law and other such important things of course ;)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Xsjadoblayde said:
I was merely referencing a previous thread by the OP that believes these two games are the seeds of a god.

Overrated is a stupid term, so was meant as a mockery. A game has to be rated before it cane be overrated. But even that is opinion. Opinion of opinions are useless. Unless those opinions are fuelling law and other such important things of course ;)

Fair 'nough. It's just that I've been seeing a lot of people throw around the word "overrated" in regards to games, films, etc, that have yet to be released.

It makes no sense, in any regard. Over-hyped? Sure. In context, that term can fit. But overrated? How can people "overrate" something they haven't even tried?

Baffling.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
We might not even be halfway through this generation yet. Give it time. Who knows what overhyped crap might come out in a couple years.

Zhukov said:
Yeah, it's pretty overrated.

Not as overrated as Hitman is going to be though.
Like that.

Though I've seen a lot of hype for The Division.... >.>

erttheking said:
I don't know. "Overrated" is a term that essentially means "The majority opinion doesn't match up with mine," anyway. Something being overrated is beyond subjective.
that's just like, your opinion, man!

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ciri part in witcher 3 is absolute useless and did nothing to game. beside Ciri was terrible terrible character.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
OT: Nah, Fallout 4. See, I've been replaying MGSV lately and realised that just because a game doesn't have multiple markers for 'this big tree' or 'that lake' doesn't mean they aren't THERE. Fallout 4 is by far and away the most over-rated game of 2015, bland sandbox, even blander Skyrim levelling system and a plot that I don't believe anyone has even come close to finishing.