Is Nintendo holding the industry back?

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Do you think Nintendo is holding back the industry? I say this because they seem to always be the last to follow trends, such as CDs, online, and HD. They're always behind the times, and maybe they should drop out of the console race.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*sniff-sniff* Arrrgh, thar be a shitstorm a'brewin....

The short answer: no, they're not. They're trying to corner the casual market and have carved out a decent little niche for themselves and they do pretty well at fulfilling that niche.

The long answer: well I'm certain once Jeffers and his ilk see this topic, they'll be more than happy to explain. :p

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
They're not holding back the industry because they just do their own thing, independent of the rest of the industry.

If Nintendo decide not to move forward they're not holding anyone else back, they're just not keeping up.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Jeffers is going to come down on this thread like the hammer of an angry god.

I don't think they are to be honest, but then I don't give a shit about playing online with a bunch of twats, and I don't care about amazing graphics, so a company not bothering with them isn't a problem to me.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
VG_Addict said:
I say this because they seem to always be the last to follow trends

Yup Nintendo are always last.The other console manufacturers are such trailblazers

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oh my, I can't wait until j.e.f.f.e.r.s descends upon this thread and showers the op with his white, hot rage.

No, PC gaming is holding the industry back. So are the PS4, XBone, PSVita, 3DS, Wii U, EA, Activision, Steam,Ouya and that annoying rash on my arm I had last week. Because claiming that X is holding the industry back is also a trend. One which should stop.

OT: I'd argue that everyone following the same trends would do more to hold the industry back. Homogenization is terrible for innovation. Just because something is popular does not mean it is the only path along which to advance gaming.

I'd say that Nintendo not mindlessly jumping onto the bandwagon is in fact its greatest strength. The industry would be a very different place if not for all the stuff that Nintendo either pioneered or was the first to successfully implement into gaming. Granted, their headstrong ways can also be their weakness. The stuff they try doesn't always work out so well, which has led to some failures in the past and will probably continue to do so in the future.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
So the touchscreen and motion capabilities weren't pioneered by Nintendo? o_O

Also, even if Nintendo had absolutely no innovation, how would that be holding the industry back? It's not like they are actively going around a kneecapping competitors by being slow on the uptake for graphical capabilities. Just because they used cartridges for an entire generation after everyone switched to disc didn't leave everyone in the dark ages.

I just...don't understand at all. >.<

Edit: Hey guys, don't quote this post please. I don't really care.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
No of course not. I don't think of console gaming as pushing technology to it's limits nor would I want it too. Let Nintendo do what they do and buy it if you like it, complain about it if you don't but lets not pretend that Nintendo is some technological gatekeeper who is trying to keep us down.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I don't think we have seen a single multiplat game that was held back due to the Wii/U's tech, in terms of processing power it's MS and Sony who hold gaming as a whole back since games are built to run on them. Not that it really matters that much in the grand sense of things imo.

I read this Dtoid article about how uninformed mainstream gamers are - http://www.destructoid.com/learning-about-average-game-consumers-from-working-retail-261220.phtml#comment-1033807445

- and it dawned on me about how important Nintendo is all dedicated gamers. Since they are one of the few Japanese gameplay focused developers able to stand toe to toe with CoD, Fifa and all the other massive IPs on the market. Nintendo and their IPs are well known brands that the mainstream who doesn't really care what they play knows.

Unless you hate 2D/3D platformers, Kart Racers, ARPGs and all the Nintendo made / published 3DS games then having Nintendo branded games on shelves is a good thing.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
If they are, then that's a good thing, because the Industry Sony, Microsoft and 3rd parties want and are trying to accomplish is one that spends billions and only makes millions, one where Console Manufacturers are dependent on Independent Companies, one that puts Graphics over Game play, and one where Innovation means renaming "Brutes" into "Goliath's" or something like that (Looking at you, Bungie).

So No, I don't think they're holding the industry back. If anything, they're keeping the industry from falling backwards.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Yes, because Microsoft was the first to introduce motion capabilities with the Kinect, and they were also the first to start understanding how it actually should work. Oh yeah, and I guess it was also Microsoft that came up with the idea of using dual-screen and touch-screen* capabilities with games. And how horrible is it that Nintendo still isn't bothering to charge for online and that they are still so dedicated to the obviously archaic fashion of fighting used games by making games you don't want to sell? /sarcasm

*OK, technically we have iPhone games to thank for that, but Nintendo has really pushed for it in terms of dedicated gaming platforms.

Anyways, Nintendo is hardly holding console games back. The fact that Sony and Microsoft stay so far ahead of them technologically is proof enough of that, and even Microsoft and Sony are technically holding technology back compared to what can be done on the PC. Nintendo is doing their own thing, and those of us who enjoy Nintendo games really don't care that they don't have the flashiest graphics or that it took them this long to switch to HD. Their games are fun and take advantage of the technology they do have without overly-exploiting it (i.e. using motion controls but limiting it so it doesn't become obnoxious). In the end, that's all that matters with them.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
INB4 Jeffers...

I wouldn't say they're holding the industry back. At least they didn't try to make an always online console that placed restrictions on used games.

Really, my only problem with them is that I feel they're relying way too much on their old IP's, namely Mario and Zelda. It would be nice to see them create more new IP's.

I will say though, that if it weren't for them, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't even be a thing. So kudos to them for that.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Where's J-e-f-f-e-r-s? He'll handle this one!

OT: I really don't feel they're holding back the industry in any way.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ummmm...HOW? they're mostly just doing their own thing, which can't in any way hold anyone back but themselves. But even then we see that's not true. Their handheld line proved that you don't need cutting edge graphics to sell millions for decades and the Wii further cemented that. Furthermore, some of the trends in gaming weren't exactly sure things. Online for instance had an uncertain future and it wasn't really until MS really started boosting Xbox Live (which took TWO YEARS) that things blew up. HD has also...not been a blessing. The thing is the HD era probably came too soon. NOBODY was ever ready for it and they're paying the price. Diminishing returns are also setting in, so we're not gonna get a big leap ever again. From here on out it will depend solely on skill. Something Nintendo has in excess while everyone else struggles measuring up to them.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Now I just want J-e-f-f-e-r-s to not show up so that everyone will be disappointed.

OT: Nope, they still make awesome games and even better handhelds. Seriously, given how long it's been out, the 3DS is pretty fucking awesome.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Ok i am by no means the biggest fan of Nintendo, heck it took me til last year to get a Wii, but seriously what the fuck is it with all the Nintendo hate over the past couple of weeks?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Actually, I haven't seen Jeffers in quite a bit.

OT: No, Nintendo is not holding the gaming industry back. For them to be able to do that, they would have to be top dog in their field. Which hasn't been the case since the PS1 era.

Nintendo choosing to not keep up with graphics, storage, etc isn't holding back the game industry. They are only holding back themselves.

On that note, the "leaders" of the game industry are Sony and Microsoft, and so far, their past two consoles have been the same shit with an upgrade. That's pretty stagnant if you ask me.

This gen, the only huge leaps are Nintendo with motion controls and the upcoming Oculus Rift. That's it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
spartandude said:
Ok i am by no means the biggest fan of Nintendo, heck it took me til last year to get a Wii, but seriously what the fuck is it with all the Nintendo hate over the past couple of weeks?
It's a staple on the Escapist forums apparently.

The majority of the users on the Escapist don't hate Nintendo. They are just either apathetic, or don't care for them.
However you have a vocal few that want to see the company burn to the ground. With their worst crime being Mario releases every few years.