Is Nintendo holding the industry back?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Neronium said:
WanderingFool said:
Until Activision killed the Golden Goose...
Just like any series really. When you think about it, Activision will drop a franchise the moment it stops selling. Case and point, the Guitar Hero franchise, and before that the Tony Hawk franchise which many people seem to have forgotten. XD
... What Tony Hawk franchise?

wulf3n said:
WanderingFool said:
WanderingFool said:
Second, I would say the problem is not the lack of buttons on the controller, but that excess of buttons reqiured. I mean, do we really need 6 different buttons to determine how high we want to crouch[footnote]This is in reference to System Shock 1, which when I tried, had a shit ton of bottons to do things that I would never use.[/footnote]?

I think we can concieve of more complex gameplay without having to invent new buttons to use...
Perhaps but this then is a case of the developer working around the limitations of the controller.
But whats the alternitive? Either we build the controller around the game or build the game around the controller. While for some games (like GH) this can work, to redessign the controller for every new game seems kinda pointless and expensive.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
WanderingFool said:
But whats the alternitive? Either we build the controller around the game or build the game around the controller. While for some games (like GH) this can work, to redessign the controller for every new game seems kinda pointless and expensive.
Or we experiment with different forms of control at a console level. Like the Wii and WiiU. It's fine if companies don't want to do that either. It's just this notion people have that Nintendo are bad because they're trying out different forms of input.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
wulf3n said:
Or we experiment with different forms of control at a console level. Like the Wii and WiiU. It's fine if companies don't want to do that either. It's just this notion people have that Nintendo are bad because they're trying out different forms of input.
I think more of the problem for that in this case is the lack of support for the other types of controllers, or the poor support for those other ones. For example, Nintendo had the Wii U Pro controller out for quite a while, and yet not really any games supported it. (except in Luigi U adding support for it)
This was also the case with the Wii U which while the motion controls fit some games, it would have felt better to have the option of using another input method.
I was honestly curious to see how Galaxy would play if it used a GameCube controller.

Then there's the Wii U with the GamePad in which it's not really being used to it's fullest. Take Pikmin 3 for example, in which it is better to control it with the Wiimote and Nunchuck then the actual GamePad that the console comes with. When I see people saying "just use the Wiimote and Nunchuck instead" I have to ask, what if the person who bought the Wii U didn't have a Wii and so didn't have a controller with Wii Motion Plus? Should a game that is built for a system be controlled the best with the controller that is bundled with it? I mean I've played Pikmin 3 on my Wii U, friend got me it, and honestly I felt like there were huge missed opportunities with that game when it came to the GamePad.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Yuuki said:
Try playing halo on a N64 controller or any PC RTS using anything other than a keyboard and mouse, it's not the same game.
1) Hence Halo (or similar) was never released on an N64. Each major revamp in controls was driven by a huge core necessity...the need for dual analog sticks (or d-pad + analog stick) became obvious once console games went full 3D with player-controlled cameras (PC users already had mouse camera). Bam, console controller revolution.
2) What Yahtzee was hinting at was that our traditional control inputs work just fine for all the games we have today. RTS games evolved on PC around keyboard+mouse controls, they suck on consoles because of Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo's constant refusal at allowing mouse+keyboard as native inputs (no modded adapters). That's their choice, not a technological limitation.

The genuine NEED for motion controls to become a "primary" control method isn't there whatsover. Putting that aside, Yahtzee explained all the other reasons in his Kinect review:
You know what's funny though is that I posted a topic recently related to the RTS genre and the Wii U Gamepad. With that interface Nintendo inadvertently made the best possible console device for an RTS. The way I figured this out is that I basically spent a night and tried mapping the League of Legends control scheme to a console and found no better console suited for it. I don't think we are going for necessity anymore when it comes to game controls. I think that we are at the point that we and by we I mean Nintendo and kind of Microsoft are pioneering new ways to enjoy and play games. In that process they might even create something that used to only work for the PC like I believe Nintendo has done with the Gamepad. As much as people rake modern gaming over the coals and it seems NIntendo especially I think with generation 7 gone and generation 8 here as of the Wii U's launch we have reached that sweet spot of what we know works but now lets play around with other ideas. Hell I think Nintendo realized that in gen 6. We will always have our traditional control inputs but now is the time that when something new pops up we don't run away or condemn but try and embrace it. See if we can make it work and see what new stories or styles of gameplay we can make. Ok done now.

Also that last bit is from my mind as an aspiring game designer. Also note I am a bit of a Nintendo fanboy though I don't hate MS or Sony. In fact I have their consoles. I just think Nintendo has garnered waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy to much unfair hatred among "core" gamers. Besides how can I be mad at them when they saved the Bayonetta franchise?

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
KazeAizen said:
You know what's funny though is that I posted a topic recently related to the RTS genre and the Wii U Gamepad. With that interface Nintendo inadvertently made the best possible console device for an RTS. The way I figured this out is that I basically spent a night and tried mapping the League of Legends control scheme to a console and found no better console suited for it. I don't think we are going for necessity anymore when it comes to game controls. I think that we are at the point that we and by we I mean Nintendo and kind of Microsoft are pioneering new ways to enjoy and play games. In that process they might even create something that used to only work for the PC like I believe Nintendo has done with the Gamepad. As much as people rake modern gaming over the coals and it seems NIntendo especially I think with generation 7 gone and generation 8 here as of the Wii U's launch we have reached that sweet spot of what we know works but now lets play around with other ideas. Hell I think Nintendo realized that in gen 6. We will always have our traditional control inputs but now is the time that when something new pops up we don't run away or condemn but try and embrace it. See if we can make it work and see what new stories or styles of gameplay we can make. Ok done now.

Also that last bit is from my mind as an aspiring game designer. Also note I am a bit of a Nintendo fanboy though I don't hate MS or Sony. In fact I have their consoles. I just think Nintendo has garnered waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy to much unfair hatred among "core" gamers.
Agreed, the Wii U's touchscreen is leaps and bounds better suited for RTS than anything else at the moment (and even in the face of next gen). Having use your finger to jab at the screen (while covering portions of it with the rest of your hand) will still never be as accurate/precise as a mouse, but it sure as hell is a lot more portable that's for sure :D

KazeAizen said:
Besides how can I be mad at them when they saved the Bayonetta franchise?
Saved it? PS3 and XBox owners (soon to be XBone and PS4 owners) are still patiently awaiting news for their beloved Bayonetta sequel....

...ohhhh wait, you're talking about the upcoming Bayonetta 2 that is exclusive to Wii U? Ah yes...yes that thing...I'm sure Bayonetta fans (i.e. PS3/XBox owners, soon to be PS4/XBone owners) will be eternally grateful that their franchise was saved. Phew.

(Don't take me too seriously btw, I'm aware Bayonetta was basically finished as far as Platinum were concerned and even a sequel exclusive to a specific brand of toaster is technically better than no sequel at all :p)

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Yuuki said:
Agreed, the Wii U's touchscreen is leaps and bounds better suited for RTS than anything else at the moment (and even in the face of next gen). Having use your finger to jab at the screen (while covering portions of it with the rest of your hand) will still never be as accurate/precise as a mouse, but it sure as hell is a lot more portable that's for sure :D
-----------------
Saved it? PS3 and XBox owners (soon to be XBone and PS4 owners) are still patiently awaiting news for their beloved Bayonetta sequel....

...ohhhh wait, you're talking about the upcoming Bayonetta 2 that is exclusive to Wii U? Ah yes...yes that thing...I'm sure Bayonetta fans (i.e. PS3/XBox owners, soon to be PS4/XBone owners) will be eternally grateful that their franchise was saved. Phew.

(Don't take me too seriously btw, I'm aware Bayonetta was basically finished as far as Platinum were concerned and even a sequel exclusive to a specific brand of toaster is technically better than no sequel at all :p)
lol for a second there I was about to take you seriously :). I've never really been one for PC gaming. Hell the only PC exclusive I really play is League so all that razzle dazzle with the mouse and hot keys will always elude me. As long as I have my QEWR combo for Katarina I will be fine. Who's to say though that people couldn't be as precise with a stylus or something for that, or hell I know you can hook 2 gamepads up to it maybe even make a local co-op RTS with the two players having two different roles managing the same army. I don't know just spit balling now.

Yeah I know it kind of sucks for those owners but its really not like its anything new. Hardcore Final Fantasy peeps had to make that jump back in the SNES and PS1 days. Its just good business though isn't it? A brand new IP with a cult following and potential to grow into a multi million dollar franchise and Nintendo was the one with the balls to risk that and corner that niche. See a need fill a need and all that crap. I would hate to see Bayonetta die after one game. It would be a cult classic but a cult classic that deserved so much more than it got. I think she's actually probably my favorite video game character of all time. Definitely favorite female and top 3 for sure. Right behind a blue robot that has been thrown to the junk yard and a blue hedgehog who has finally got his mojo back. (albeit I liked his "shitty" games but whatevs) New IPs are new IPs and they need to stick around longer than just one game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Last to follow trends? It was the Wii that PSMove and Kinect copied. And I dont see any Sony or Microsoft systems with glassesless 3D. Nintendo are the innovators, and its Sony and Microsoft who are holding gaming back by being either safe or controlling. Nintendo makes mistakes, but doesnt flip out about it. Microsoft made a big mistake with Xbox One, and though they fixed it, they acted like we were at fault for their error. Nintendo didnt yell at us when Virtual Boy tanked.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Neronium said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Obviously none of the companies have claimed to have invented the internet because obviously Al Gore invented it! XD
...I wonder how many people will actually get that old joke...>.>
...I'll let myself out.
Well, I'm old enough to get it, so there's one.

And from what I've seen of conservatives on the web, Fox News is still harping on it.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Because this industry is on such a progressive speed towards the future.

3D, VR! And sequels to sequels to sequels to sequels! This world is change!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Not at all. Nintendo has put itself in the position where it's essentially a niche product amongst gamers. Progress is happening all around the industry, both in large scale games as well as independent games, and everything in between. You could make an argument that Nintendo is holding itself back by being stuck in a very Japanese circa 20+ years ago mindset, but they certainly aren't holding anyone else back.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Yuuki said:
KazeAizen said:

Also that last bit is from my mind as an aspiring game designer. Also note I am a bit of a Nintendo fanboy though I don't hate MS or Sony. In fact I have their consoles. I just think Nintendo has garnered waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy to much unfair hatred among "core" gamers.

KazeAizen said:
Besides how can I be mad at them when they saved the Bayonetta franchise?

Yeah, they should've just let it die so no one could play it. :D

It still counts as saving it, yes it's exclusive, but it still exists. That means that in the future when the Wii U is a cheapo thing, Bayonetta fans who spent their money elsewhere can pick up a cheapo Wii U and get Bayonetta 2 cheap, rather then settle for never playing the game ever.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Yuuki said:

I actually am one of those Bayonetta fans who played the game on the Xbox. Heck I have the replica gun from the series and my lady is planning on cosplaying as Bayonetta soonish. And as someone who every three months would type "Bayonetta Sequel" into google hoping to hear SOMETHING in regards to that, I was disheartened when I read that Sega had basically swept it under the rug and said "Nothing to See Here"

When I heard it was going to be a Wii U exclusive I was overjoyed. It was getting a sequel and it was going to survive. I didn't care that I didn't have a Wii U yet, I just checked it as a reason to get one. Just like someone who wanted to play any other exclusive on any other system would do. I don't see why people get so up in arms about it. If I wanted to play Last of Us I need to get a PS3, if I wanted to play Gears of War I need an Xbox. If I want to play Bayonetta 2 I need a Wii U. It's all the same to me.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
DeimosMasque said:
I actually am one of those Bayonetta fans who played the game on the Xbox. Heck I have the replica gun from the series and my lady is planning on cosplaying as Bayonetta soonish. And as someone who every three months would type "Bayonetta Sequel" into google hoping to hear SOMETHING in regards to that, I was disheartened when I read that Sega had basically swept it under the rug and said "Nothing to See Here"
Unfortunately in SEGA's case though you have to look at it through their point of view. Here they had a contract with Platinum for 5 games, and out of them all Bayonetta was the most successful, but they still ended up losing money on it and at the time SEGA was kinda iffy on financing. So from a business standpoint you can see why SEGA didn't instantly jump on board the prospect of a sequel. Nintendo stepped in because they needed a hardcore game for the Wii U, so it will have it. Although the Platinum curse is still there as Wonderful 101 has unfortunately bombed in Japan and Europe (it's been two weeks, you can't say it hasn't bombed). Hopefully the curse won't be the same for Bayonetta 2, but I still don't think it's gonna be the system seller that Nintendo really needs right now.

But a lot of the time people actually do blame SEGA for not funding the sequel, but in reality can you blame them when they didn't really have the money per say?

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Neronium said:
But a lot of the time people actually do blame SEGA for not funding the sequel, but in reality can you blame them when they didn't really have the money per say?
I honestly don't blame SEGA at all, they made the right call from a business standpoint. It was just unfortunate that they let Platinum talk about the ideas for the sequel to just sort of cancel it without even a press release or anything. Just "Let's hope no one notices."

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Nintendo isn't holding the industry back at all. It's charging full-steam ahead... right off a cliff.