Is punishing a kid consider abuse?

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Tubez said:
spectrenihlus said:
Tubez said:
Vegosiux said:
Tubez said:
It's still hitting somebody and I personally think its pathetic since you're venting your anger at somebody that is defenseless.
Well, you can vent your anger at somebody who's defenseless by saying "Firstname Lastname, YOU'RRRRE GRRRROUNDED! Now go to your room!" Is that abuse to, because of the "venting at a defenseless one" clause?

What I'm saying here is that if it's about venting one's anger, it's not punishment at all, since it has no educational value.

Now, let me propose a scenario.

There was a kid who was caught smoking by the parents once. They made him sit down and told him to smoke the entire pack right there, in front of them, and he can't leave until then. He at first went "Pfsh, no problem!" but after 4-5 in a row, he changed his mind and decided that smoking can fuck him up pretty badly and ruining his health in order to be rebellious and stick it to the man wasn't worth it. Oh, and he didn't actually have to smoke the whole pack after he got to that point.

Now, is this abuse? As punishment, it was pretty damn effective.

I know said kid (well, he's not kid anymore). Was one of the most shocking things that happened to him, but he also admits that he'd likely not have seen the point if the parents tried to just reason with him, or if they just dealt some arbitrary punishment such as grounding.
I do not know if that is abuse, but I would have to guess so since it inflicts physical harm. And if my parents did that to me they would most likely be charged with something since I would have a very very hard time to breath.

But if you are for spanking of children, for to teach them their place, are you also for spanking/smacking a grown person so they know their place/learn how to behave?
There is a reason we treat children and adults separately. An adult can listen to reason (most of the time) I child usually won't.
Have you got any proof for that since I personally find that many adult people do not listen to reason, and if children do not listen to reason then how come parents have successfully parented kids in my country(Sweden) since all hitting is considered abuse?
I severely doubt that just because it was banned that all spanking has ended. There is a vast difference in spanking a child and beating him or her.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
NoOne852 said:
For that situation, it would have been more reasonable to talk to her about it first, take away her laptop instead of destroying it, and instead of grounding the girl for about 4 years, coming to more reasonable time slot.
I thought you said you watched the video. He DID do that, the first time she pulled that sort of thing. That's why she got her laptop taken away in the first place and that's why he said "If you do it again, I'll put a bullet through it." It's not his fault that she refused to take his warning to heart. In the future she knows now to trust her father's word.

In regards to punishment being abuse. No, kids should be punished when they do something wrong. Otherwise they grow up thinking anything they do is ok, and we get spoiled self-entitled people who have a much harder time contributing to society.

I've seen a couple people here who said stuff like "scientifically, spanking does no good." Yeah well guess what...that's not helpful. Scientifically people who smoke don't live as long, but one of the oldest living humans who made it to 116 was an avid smoker. Scientifically doesn't matter much to the individual.

I was spanked as a kid when I did something so bad that I deserved it, and it was never for a first time offense. Usually it was after my parents had explained to me that what I did was wrong.

I don't support people who just beat their kids over every little thing, but I do believe that a simple spank can be used to send a message across, especially when you've already exhausted other options to get your kid to behave.

However, spanking only does anyone any good if you explain to the kid why you're doing it.

The first time your kid does something bad, explain that they shouldn't do that. Second time, maybe go for the time out approach, something that sends a message of some sort. Third time, go for the spank and then explain why you did that. Kids aren't stupid, and if they know why that just happened, they'll usually be more careful, so as not to cause it again.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Erana said:
And about shooting the laptop?
Snapping it would have been one thing, or putting it in water or most anything else would have been better than a gun. Someone who would hit me is bad enough. But someone who has to resort to firearms when they're emotional is terrifying.
Yes, using guns in any way to punish your child is a form of psychological abuse to me. An association between discipline and weapons simply should not exist, especially not for children.
I agree. A gun is not a toy, it is a lethal weapon, and should be treated as such. It's one thing to take a decrepit laptop or computer and fill it full of holes on a range, another thing entirely to pull out a lethal weapon in the middle of a grown "man"'s temper tantrum.

OT: There is a big difference between punishment and discipline. With punishment, there is no room for redemption, discipline is a part of a teaching or guidance. To just "punish" your kid, yes, that's wrong because they never learn anything but to fear and mistrust you. With discipline, there is learning involved, and discipline doesn't always have to be spanking. There are many ways to deal with issues, most of never involving striking your child or ever raising your voice.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Depends on the offense and the response, but "the line" of what is acceptable and what isn't changes per person. So the punishment you use being abuse is speculative, and annoying to pin down an absolute answer. I mean just look at all the different opinions in the posts above (and possibly below)

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
Tubez said:
spectrenihlus said:
Tubez said:
Vegosiux said:
Tubez said:
It's still hitting somebody and I personally think its pathetic since you're venting your anger at somebody that is defenseless.
Well, you can vent your anger at somebody who's defenseless by saying "Firstname Lastname, YOU'RRRRE GRRRROUNDED! Now go to your room!" Is that abuse to, because of the "venting at a defenseless one" clause?

What I'm saying here is that if it's about venting one's anger, it's not punishment at all, since it has no educational value.

Now, let me propose a scenario.

There was a kid who was caught smoking by the parents once. They made him sit down and told him to smoke the entire pack right there, in front of them, and he can't leave until then. He at first went "Pfsh, no problem!" but after 4-5 in a row, he changed his mind and decided that smoking can fuck him up pretty badly and ruining his health in order to be rebellious and stick it to the man wasn't worth it. Oh, and he didn't actually have to smoke the whole pack after he got to that point.

Now, is this abuse? As punishment, it was pretty damn effective.

I know said kid (well, he's not kid anymore). Was one of the most shocking things that happened to him, but he also admits that he'd likely not have seen the point if the parents tried to just reason with him, or if they just dealt some arbitrary punishment such as grounding.
I do not know if that is abuse, but I would have to guess so since it inflicts physical harm. And if my parents did that to me they would most likely be charged with something since I would have a very very hard time to breath.

But if you are for spanking of children, for to teach them their place, are you also for spanking/smacking a grown person so they know their place/learn how to behave?
There is a reason we treat children and adults separately. An adult can listen to reason (most of the time) I child usually won't.
Have you got any proof for that since I personally find that many adult people do not listen to reason, and if children do not listen to reason then how come parents have successfully parented kids in my country(Sweden) since all hitting is considered abuse?
I severely doubt that just because it was banned that all spanking has ended. There is a vast difference in spanking a child and beating him or her.
Im sure some people are still hitting their kids but I do not know anyone that has ever been hit by their parents. I do agree there is a difference but it's still abuse, same way that there are different level of assault

Here is some more information if you want to read.
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-effects-no-spanking-law-child-abuse-328316.html?cat=72

"Studies done in 1981 and 1988 showed significant decreases in the use of physical punishment, support of physical punishment, and numbers of cases of child abuse (Hyman 1997). Hyman (1997), director of the National Center for the Study of Corporal Punishment and Alternatives reports that only 26 percent of parents in Sweden supported spanking in 1981, and the support rate is now less than 11 percent. In Deley's (1988) comparative study of child abuse 9 years after the prohibition of corporal punishment, 10.7% of American men and 8.2% of American women sampled stated that they had been victims of child abuse as children, compared to 3.9% of Swedish men and 0% of Swedish women in the sample. Finally, according to Joan Durrant, professor of family studies at the University of Manitoba in Canada, "Sweden went from a family violence- child death rate of 18% in 1970 to 0 percent in recent years" (Hyman 1997:215)."

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Sending a kid to their room for a reasonable amount of time? Making them miss dinner one night? Temporarily taking away their access to video games or television? Suspending their allowance?
Not abuse.

Holding a mentally disabled child down and beating them for over an hour because they weren't acting exactly like all the other kids and then lying about it to the school board to get them punished for being "punished"?
Abuse.

I have extensive experience with the latter and therefore speak with authority on this topic.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
MasochisticAvenger said:
So, I've been following another thread wherein the original poster argued that Tommy Jordan, the man who shot up his daughter's laptop, is abusing his daughter. Disturbingly, I found that some people had the opinion punishing a child for doing something wrong is considered a form of abuse. Some even going as far as suggesting punishing a child for doing something wrong should be considered on the same level as beating a wife.

So, Escapist, do you think punishing a child is, or should be, considered abuse?
Punishment only turns to abuse if it's taken to extremes.

Swatting a child's butt once with an open hand when they misbehave is one thing. Hitting them again and again while holding them down, especially if you hit them with something like a belt, paddle, or any other implement, is abuse. (for those parents not against spanking)

Temporarily taking a toy away from a child when they use it to misbehave is one thing. Forcing a child to get rid of their favorite toys themselves just for staying up past bed time is pushing it. (to be fair, he did say he tried talking to her, then temporarily taking away the laptop before shooting it. She had chances.)

It's astounding that people, parents and parents-some-day, treat any form of punishment or rule enforcement as a crime. Ignoring kids and teens comes with a special name: neglect. It mostly applies to cases where the kid is lucky to get food and a decent place to sleep, but why not apply it to cases when the parent turns a blind eye to bad and possibly dangerous behavior? They obviously don't care enough to try to stop it or ask for help.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
Yes, punishing a child for something IS abuse. Wait, wait, before you all jump down my throat:

Disciplining a child, however, is not.

The etymology of the word punishment is that it comes from the French punissement, which literally means "rough handling".

Discipline's root is disciplina, which is Latin for "instruction given, teaching, learning, knowledge,".

Children need discipline over punishment because punishment comes without enlightenment. They don't learn anything from their mistake. Sure, they aren't likely to do whatever it is again, but they have no idea of why not to. Personal example: When I was 'bad' as a child while Grandma Millie was watching me, I'd get smacked with the yardstick. I learned not to jump on the bed again, but I didn't know why I shouldn't have in the first place. I felt victimized because Grandma didn't want me practicing flying to Neverland. (Yes, that is truly what 5 year old me thought I was doing.) If she'd told me not to because I might break it, and it cost a lot of money to replace, and people needed to sleep on it when they came to stay, I wouldn't have felt victimized. Instead I would have understood that people needed to sleep on that bed, and they couldn't if I broke it. I never would have jumped on it again not out of fear of being smacked, but because I knew it to be the right thing to do.

There is a lot more to the psychology and child development around punishment/discipline, like the difference between acting up and acting out, but I think I've said enough. For those of you who are parents or aspire to be so, remember that if you want your children to be good because they want to be good, not out of fear of being bad, discipline is the path for you.

As for the dad shooting the daughter's laptop... it was rather melodramatic, and posting it on Facebook was an act designed to humiliate. However, he did explain clearly why he was doing it, and I think in the end he wanted her to learn from the experience. He could have handled it better, but it was not abuse.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Instant K4rma said:
I've never understood spanking. "Hey, Timmy was misbehaving today. Let's beat the kid into submission." It's been proven to have no positive effect, yet people still do it. That never makes any sense to me.
Well beating the kid into submission is definitely abuse. Taking out a belt and wailing away at them, yes. Punching or kicking them, yes. However a quick slap (or a few depending on what the kid did) to the butt, hands, or other non essential/vital part of the body, at least in my mind, shouldn't be seen as a form of abuse. Especially if the kid is pushing clearly marked boundaries. The people who say that it is abuse either had really good kids, never had to watch misbehaving kids, or never have had to deal with young kids.

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
I find a lot of these threads debating what Mr. Jordan did rather silly, especially in light of the post on Facebook he made in response to the Dallas Fox affiliate. Honestly, people are going to be debating this for months and months, when it's already been effectively resolved for him and his family.

My response to the Dallas Fox affiliate on their news headline. You can read the headline by clicking the link below:

I?ve made it a point of not responding to news or media thus far, but I?m going to reply to a few specific issues mentioned from the news anchors:

First, let me say Thanks for not making me out as a TOTAL villain, though you cut-together enough footage sequences to make it seem that way in segments?

It was an emotional response: Yes ma?am it was an emotional response. I raised my children to never use that kind of language, especially in a public place like that. There were so many vulgarities? I don?t even know where to start. She was mad and I get that, but there are way to talk about things without resorting to that kind of language.

Secondly, and I?ve said this on Facebook as well, but I?m sure it will get lost in the flotsam of comments out there; I shouldn?t have said the word ?ass.? I?ll agree that wasn?t a good example of me as a father. I had been reading that post again and again for about an hour, sometimes in tears, other times so mad my hands were shaking and I was trying very hard to be civil in my message. I slipped in that and said a word I shouldn?t have. I deserve a little backlash for that, no doubt.

In response to Dr Fletcher?s comments:
Fifteen year olds don?t the social maturity to know what the consequence might be? I learned at about age 3 what good words were.. and what bad word were. I learned what I should say, and what I shouldn?t say. Those lessons were reinforced throughout my life as a pre-teen, teenager, and later into adulthood. I think it?s safe to assume we?ve attempted to instill in her the values that should make it obvious to ANY 15-year old that neither the content, nor its publication to the world at large was acceptable for any child, or even any adult for that matter.

The punishment wasn?t natural or logical?
She?s known the rules for Facebook ever since she was allowed to have an account. She?s broken them from time to time, sometimes by accident, sometimes as a way of stretching her boundaries to see just how firm the boundaries were. This was neither. Her post was WAY over the top.

The Dr mentioned she ?doesn?t really know what my daughter will learn from this consequence.? I hoped that would be self-explanatory, but I guess you can?t see that without knowing the rest of the story. The last time she did something completely inappropriate, she was grounded from the Internet for three months. The very day she got it back we had a nice long amicable talk about what was and was not acceptable and that I wanted her to have a chance to prove she was responsible enough to utilize the internet unsupervised? by exercising her renewed freedom in a responsible way. The point of this being that proving you can be trusted to be responsible in one venue can lead to increased freedoms in other venues. I ended that conversation with a warning. I told her if no uncertain terms that we had already taken it away from her once. The next time, there wouldn?t be the same chance. If it happened again, ?I?ll put a bullet through it.?

The ?This one?s from your mom? comment:
Before I made the video this week, I called my wife at her office, mostly in tears. The first words out of my mouth were ?Please convince me not to put a bullet through Hannah?s laptop.? She knew something was wrong and asked me to be sensible and tell her what happened. Instead I began reading her the Facebook post our daughter made. She let me get to the end of the post, said ?I?m sorry honey? and then said ?put one in it for me while you?re at it?? so I did.

Contradiction in Terms?
No I don?t think so. Yes I told my daughter not to air that kind of material on Facebook because it was hurtful to other people. It embarrassed them. It caused them to feel humiliated, especially our very very good friend, who is NOT a cleaning lady by any stretch of the imagination!

Instead, I simply turned the tables and let her be on the receiving end of something and see how it made her feel. You mentioned not embellishing it, not sensationalizing it. I didn?t. I read exactly what she put out there for the world to see, in her own words. Then I added a few of my own words to it.

And then, yes, I shot it full of holes. Would I have received the same viral attention if I?d used it as a dog toy, hit it with a hammer, drove over it with the truck, or simply thrown it away? I?m not sure. But the point is that her parents told her ?If it happens again, I?ll put a bullet through it.?
So, rather than let her push that particular boundary any further, I did absolutely no more and no less than I promised I?d do. Do I regret doing it? No. Do I regret keeping it on Facebook long enough to cause this stir? Yes. However at this time I feel that if I took the post or the video down, I?d just make it appear that we?re running in shame from it, and we?re not.

Truthfully though the social attention has helped her and I both deal with it. We had our discussion about it after she returned home from school. We set the ground rules for her punishment, and then I let her read some of the comments on Facebook with me at my computer. At first it was upsetting. Then as we read it became less so, eventually funny to both of us. At the end, she was amazed that other people had such amazingly strong reactions. Some said she?d grow up to be a stripper. Others that she?d get pregnant and become drug addicted because of the emotional damage. She actually asked me to go on Facebook and ask if there was anything else the victim of a laptop-homicide could do besides stripping because all the posts seem to mention that particular job and she wasn?t so keen on that one.

So in the end, she?s fine. My Facebook wall will never be the same again, and we?ll be OK as a family and she?ll grow up happy, healthy, and have everything she needs, but not everything she wants. And I absolutely guarantee she?ll never doubt my resolve to follow-through on a consequence again.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I don't think that punishing a child is abuse, but there is a limit. Smacking the kid on the hand is not the same as pulling a gun on them. Physical punishment, or even emotional/mental punishment should not have the potential to injure a child. I've had spankings as a kid and, IMO, there are kids that need spankings who don't get them. However, I do not approve of being overly violent to a kid, even if it's just displaying such violence.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
MasochisticAvenger said:
So, I've been following another thread wherein the original poster argued that Tommy Jordan, the man who shot up his daughter's laptop, is abusing his daughter. Disturbingly, I found that some people had the opinion punishing a child for doing something wrong is considered a form of abuse. Some even going as far as suggesting punishing a child for doing something wrong should be considered on the same level as beating a wife.

So, Escapist, do you think punishing a child is, or should be, considered abuse?
No. I really don't think anything more needs to be said. Children need to be taught right from wrong, if they aren't it ends very badly for everyone involved. I mean I'm not against positive reinforcement, if your kids do the right thing it is better to highlight those things and reward them then punish negative behavior. But that being said there is a big big difference between punishing a child to teach a lesson and maliciously attempting to cause them pain for your own enjoyment. Anyone who says punishing children is abuse is a complete idiot.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I'm going to answer this stuff by questioning myself.

Is it ok to give discipline to a child? Yes, when that guy shot his daughters laptop, it was because she believed she could be disrespectful to her parents with no trouble at all.

Do I approve of what that guy did to the laptop? No, I would've sold it personally (then again he was probably pissed so maybe it did seem rational at the time).

Is it ok to HURT a child (this is my opinion!)? Yes and no. I would not consider a spank as bad and it also the ONLY form of child hurting I'd approve of.

I'm not a parent however, but I'm going by the way I was taught.

EDIT: My writing was used for the posts on the first page that I read. Apologies if my writing is not based on most of the conversation on here.

TingaWinga

Aug 17, 2010
I vote for more punishment that way there are less running rampant annoying others, As long as the punishment is not over the top adults should be encouraged to discipline their children in this way.
I think more discipline is the answer.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
Electro Dave said:
No it's not abuse to give them a smacked bottom once in a while if you have exhausted all other alternatives.

But there is obviously a fine line between slapping their bum as a form of discipline and out right abuse.
The way I see it, it should be used as a last resort for the unruly.
Gotta agree with Electro Dave here, this is pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well. It's actually how I was raised, and I'm fine! :D
The few times I actually did something bad enough to earn a slap on the tush, was the last time I did that bad deed, and my parents never resorted to that as their first option. I was just stubborn little bastard at times xD

The only time it becomes abuse is when it becomes routine, excessive, and done with no reason behind it.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
This is dangerous territory. Working in child psychology the topic comes up a lot in dealing with the levels of punishment a child receives and when it is to be considered "abusive".

In my opinion, removing an object or item from the child that is not required for survival (food, clothing, shelter being involved) is a form of negative reassurance. (Negative not being used as something that is "bad", but rather minus the object in question, a - symbol). Excessively berating a child for their actions, lifestyle, home environment or such is. Excessive use of force against the child can also be considered abusive, however for a young child the use of what we once called a "spanking", which was once when used mildly and not an everyday occurrence is now being considered sexual assault and battery.

Personally, I have slapped my child on the bottom when theyve done wrong. I have removed their toys for a period of time, or even for good when they have acted in a negative fashion. A child must learn respect for the adult, for themselves, and for the things around them.

An example of a time of spanking, when my child was attempting to place a metal object into the light fixture. I imedietly removed said item and gave them a firm tap to the rear, informing them of what they had done wrong and of the consequences that could have occured. They associated the mild pain I had delivered to the pain they could have recieved more heavily if they had done the previous action, and have since not touched the fixture or attempted to place anything inside.

Now, constantly slapping someone around, not informing them of the reasons for punishment, leaving marks, having it occur multiple times per day, verbally berating the child, or continuing the spankings past a certain age, that is considered abuse that can further scare a child. I have however seen very few patients who were spanked as children who came to me with thoughts of sexual abuse when they were young by their parents or guardians. I also do not tell parents that a good form of punishment is spanking. A child should be punished with positive and negative reinforcement, and direct physical force should be avoided if possible.