Is Sony done with Video Games?

Joey Bolzenius

Sep 9, 2011
Well, Sony is too focused on way too many different forms of media to focus on just one with the attention it deserves. AAA budgets are so ridiculous these days that you as a game company need dedicated game designers to be your focus instead of high tech bullshit like 3D and 4k that is way too expensive for 85-90 percent of the gaming consumer base. If Sony dropped their 3d and 4k aspirations and hired a large group of A+ students from Digipen, then they would have much better success in games, that is if they really cared about doing well in games market.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Akalabeth said:
Crono1973 said:
Akalabeth said:
Crono1973 said:
You should be asking if Microsoft is done with games in favor of making an ad/subscription supported cable box.
Considering they just released Halo 4 and created Black Tusk studio and two other game-related studios in Vancouver & Victoria I think that would be a silly question to ask.
They also have 43 more non gaming apps coming. Nice of you to ignore that.

http://www.themoneytimes.com/featured/20121212/microsoft-goes-all-out-promote-non-gaming-content-xbox-id-1701712560.html
Non-gaming apps are irrelevant to your original suggestion that they were "done making games". Done making games means they're not making games, but they ARE making games so whatever else they're doing doesn't matter in the least.

Huge multi-billion dollar corporations can do more than one thing at the same time, who knew?

It seems pretty obvious the Microsoft is more interested in services than games these days. That is what I meant but if you want to be literal with my words, so be it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
s69-5 said:
But Sony is the closest one to that position, by a longshot compared to the other two.
Wait, what?

PS3 70 million Vs XBox 360 70 (or 72) million.

Microsoft forced to replace countless systems due to abysmal failure rate.
PSN hacked and Sony gives away free games.
Consumers largely shrug in both instances.
Winner: Sony (Fixing the hack is cheaper than replacing systems)

XBox 360 has 1 year head start and is DOA in Asia.
(Wii aside) PS3 in the lead in all territories except MS' home turf, the U.S.A. and is now almost even in total sales.
Winner: Sony

Sorry, not seeing it.
Admittedly I did overstate it. But Sony has also had more to deal with than Microsoft. The Move was a failure, the 3DTV gaming thing didn't take off at all, and the Vita has been bombing in its own home turf week after week. But to be fair PS Plus has become a point in Sony's favor. Maybe they aren't that much further off than Microsoft, but I do think they are closer to the "Sega Point" than either of the other console makers.

Keep in mind I did say that none of the big three are close to that point.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I think if Sony drop out of the handheld market, they should be okay, neither of their handhelds have really been a success (i do have a PSP and i do like it, but i don't have many games for it).

I've been a playstation house since the PS1, the only Playstation console i don't have is the vita, and there is not enough interesting games on it to make me want to buy it.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
rhizhim said:
sony created/collaborated with the tester series.

if thats not a reason they are going downhill or an indicator that they have someone that makes really, really bad decisions on a too high for the companies health rank, than i dont know.

firing a huge portion of the marketing staff was the most intelligent decision sony made this year.
Mate I love how in the credits of that vid it said "Provided by Sony pictures" It just made me laugh.

OT:I didn't frequent the video game side of the internet as much when the Psp came out but from what I remember wasn't in a fairly similar position to the Vita now?

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Mr. Omega said:
s69-5 said:
But Sony is the closest one to that position, by a longshot compared to the other two.
Wait, what?

PS3 70 million Vs XBox 360 70 (or 72) million.

Microsoft forced to replace countless systems due to abysmal failure rate.
PSN hacked and Sony gives away free games.
Consumers largely shrug in both instances.
Winner: Sony (Fixing the hack is cheaper than replacing systems)

XBox 360 has 1 year head start and is DOA in Asia.
(Wii aside) PS3 in the lead in all territories except MS' home turf, the U.S.A. and is now almost even in total sales.
Winner: Sony

Sorry, not seeing it.
Admittedly I did overstate it. But Sony has also had more to deal with than Microsoft. The Move was a failure, the 3DTV gaming thing didn't take off at all, and the Vita has been bombing in its own home turf week after week. But to be fair PS Plus has become a point in Sony's favor. Maybe they aren't that much further off than Microsoft, but I do think they are closer to the "Sega Point" than either of the other console makers.

Keep in mind I did say that none of the big three are close to that point.
You guys are somewhat missing the point. Sony will never drop out of the console business unless they are FORCED to. At the moment, the Playstation business is their only business running with a good profit. What worries me is that they have fallen so much behind on other areas that it will all shut down in a few years. I'd hate to see that happen, Sony pulling out from videogames would be a huge loss to the industry.

Sennune

Apr 15, 2009
Foolproof said:
Sennune said:
I don't think there's been enough speculation in this thread on the evolution of the gaming industry and Sony's involvement in it. Vita failed. The PS3 hardware still hasn't pulled through. Now Sony is looking toward the next console generation, a generation analysts and some developers have said may be the last console generation we will see. With companies like Valve, EA, Microsoft and others moving towards a digital platform for game distribution, the need for individual gaming machines will decrease more over this next generation.
You do realise that Sony are the ones who actually own the only worthwhile cloud gaming service currently in existence, right? They are by far the most future proof people attached to games.
That's true, I forgot about that. Sony isn't alien to non-Playstation gaming courtesy of SOE and they do have their cloud gaming service. Sony will last quite a long time in the gaming arena.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
As far as I am concerned they've been done for a while.

I absolutely loved my PS1 and PS2, and I have HUGE libraries for both. My PS3? I have MGS4, Little Big Planet, God of war and some HD collections of PS2 games... I can't honestly justify keeping my PS3 outside of using it as a blueray player. This thing is pretty much a $400 paper weight. If Sony was serious about staying in the game, they wouldn't abandon so many of the great games that put them on the map each gen. I cannot believe how long we've waited for a Sly Cooper game, and where the hell is Crash? There is about a dozen other franchises dating back to the PS1 also MIA, all of them a million times more fun that that uncharted shit now replacing it. I usually buy all the consoles, but I may actually avoid the PS4 this time around. If things keep the way they are I can't imagine there will be anything worthwhile in their exclusives.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
No, they won't.

Their consoles division is one of the few profitable ones. They might shrink other departments, but they are far from throwing the glove in the consoles market (not the same as the handheld market, which I think Sony should stop)

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Abomination said:
They also publish some behemoth IPs like the Total War series... and I guess Sonic?

Rome 2: Total War will be a good measure as to how successful Sega can be in the PC market at least.
This thread is about Sony.Why are you bringing Sega into it?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I hope not. I havn't played a sony game since PS2 but they do make great games. An i have had a lot of fun with the titles they have made in the pass. Hopefully if they ever pull out of the hardware business they will still make a publish games like Sega have done.

Christopher Fisher

Nov 29, 2012
I'd be amazed if they rolled out the PS4 within the next two years. If they do, it would have to have internals that would allow them to make a profit right off the bat. Financially, they just couldn't sell the console at a loss at the moment. We'll see though.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
MetalDooley said:
Abomination said:
They also publish some behemoth IPs like the Total War series... and I guess Sonic?

Rome 2: Total War will be a good measure as to how successful Sega can be in the PC market at least.
This thread is about Sony.Why are you bringing Sega into it?
Wow, massive brain fart on my end. Both Japanese companes starting with "S" and 4 letters long.

What does Sony produce? SOE games like Everquest and the now disconnected Star Wars: Galaxies, I guess? Somewhat successful but nothing compared to their immediate competition. Not to mention SOE has a pretty terrible reputation in the MMO market.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The PS3 is the only semi-profitable thing going at Sony right now.
Sony may be done as a company, but Video Games will be one of the last things they do.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The PS4 will happen, the "Orbis" is just about complete so unless something really drastic happens there is no reason for them to scrap it. The PS Vita is salvageable too, but Sony need to get some decent games out for it. The 3DS appeared to be a huge flop at first, Nintendo turned it around though. The same could happen for the Vita but not until we get games for it. They struggled with the PSP though, still the PSP did what no other handheld ever managed to do. It survived and became a second handheld in a market dominated by Nintendo. Every other handheld pretty much died, so much so that few companies where ever brave enough to take a crack at the handheld market.