Is the 9/11 Pokemon offensive?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Not really. It is all just a silly coincidence in my opinion. It didn't even cross my mind until I read the article.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I'm kind of indifferent to the Pokemon thing, but I looked at the other things on that list and I gotta admit, it's kind of ridiculous.

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
The "Ground Zero" area depicted in the Cracked article has nothing to do with where Kyurem landed at all. Yes he was a comet that fell to earth and made a big crater.. that crater just happens to be the in the North East area (called Giant Chasm) where you find the Pokemon itself. Not Route 4 and the desert resort.

Cracked lists may be entertaining, but I wouldn't recommend taking anything from that site without a grain of salt.

Nylis

May 5, 2010
Ok, I've played Pokemon White, and this is just rediculous. FIRST, that pokemon is NOWHERE near Castelia City. It is found in Giant Chasm, the little green dot in the upper right corner of the map. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the city. SECOND, the area I guess they are calling "ground zero" is just a desert route. No mention is ever made in the game about something destroying it, from what I remember. These people are just grabbing random bits from all over the game and mashing them together to form this "conspiracy". I'm an American and this doesn't offend me.

My guess is these people jumped to conclusions without actually playing the game or someone has a chip on their shoulder against Pokemon lol. Also, to the guy who said America deserved 9/11, that's just cold. People had loved ones who died there, show some respect.

XShrike

Sep 11, 2007
Is the 9/11 Pokemon offensive?

To me? No. I would actually be happy if there was more exploration of the event.

I hate it when something bad happens and everyone gets over sensitive about it. Know what doesn't help get over trauma? Ignoring it so that if there is any hint of it you overact.

Yes there is a period of "too soon" but, I was so happy when I started to hear 9/11 jokes.

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

Honestly, the reference completely passed my mind until you brought up just now. I still don't really care, however. Seriously, I can understand the emotions around 9/11, but you American's seem to treat it as though Al Qaeda nuked half your country away when the Twin Towers fell, and seem to want everyone else to care just as excessively about it when we have no reason or care to.

Stop bringing it the fuck up. Please.
Yeah. that.
But then some Americans think 9/11 was the worst tragedy in the history of man. DURPPPP

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Stop trying to start a flamewar, It happened 10 years ago. It was terrible yes, but get the fuck over it.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Having beaten the game, I can say this is total bullshit, that pokemon is NOWHERE near that city, that supposed "ground zero" is the games desert region well behind the city, oh and when i say nowhere near, i mean on the complete other corner of the map as far as possible, they even talk about (the people in game) the creature from the meteor attacking a town near where the meteor hit, and its a small rural town near where the pokemon is, once again, far as hell away from the city

SketchyFK

Mar 14, 2010
I really dont find it offensive because I really didn't KNOW about it. There are 4hundred and so pokemon and dex these days and its only looking MASSIVELY into the game does this show up. I have the game, I know there was alot of american influence IN the game, but there was never anything about a pokemon smashing into a city being referenced as far as i am aware.

To be honest, it seems as though the artical's author is reading things faaaaaaaar too much. Would he rather have they not mentioned it AT ALL?

** on a side note, does this mean in the next game they will reference some sort of earthquake torn country the likes that has destroyed Japan?

Protomega

Feb 4, 2011
mowinckel107 said:
since 9/11 is not a big deal (unless you are an American with your head stuck up your own ass) then it is impossible to get offended by it
America kills triple the amount that died in the towers every year and while it is sad for the people who died then USA as a nation did deserve it
I wouldn't say that 9/11 wasn't a big deal. In fact it was a big deal.. It killed quite a bit of people. The fact that people are finding every excuse to be offended though is beyond the point of stupidity. I personally find it offensive that you say 9/11 is not a big deal, when I personally think it is, but I find it equally offensive to try and find every single thing that could possibly connect with the numbers 9 and 11 in the same structure. Should we get mad at a song artist because his song just so happens to be 9:11 long? No.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

Honestly, the reference completely passed my mind until you brought up just now. I still don't really care, however. Seriously, I can understand the emotions around 9/11, but you American's seem to treat it as though Al Qaeda nuked half your country away when the Twin Towers fell, and seem to want everyone else to care just as excessively about it when we have no reason or care to.

Stop bringing it the fuck up. Please.
This all the way this. Statistically 9/11 was a failure with only 90% of people who could have been killed actually dying so by the terrorist standards it was a failure. 3000 people a year is less than heart failures, death rates of any cancer patient and less than the number of people a year who get killed in car crashes.

Yet the American government uses is as a blanket statement to justify almost anything. Think about the security in airports after 9/11 because of terrorists, the killswitch in the US because it could be "cyber 9/11", the war you guys have been in for 8 years if memory serves me correctly, how much money, time and effort has been put into fighting an enemy who could literally be anyone at any time in any place. The utter insanity and paranoia created is the most shocking part, not the actual attack. You let the terrorist do what they planned to do, inflict terror

All stats from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/aug/18/usa.terrorism

It was 10 years ago, it was a failure, your country is worse off as a governments reaction and not the actual attack. I am not offended in the slightest

soam108

Feb 5, 2010
This Pokemon stuff is BS but 9/11 was a big deal...just because it happened a decade ago it's all forgotten?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I think people are reading too much into this. Plus, I didn't really get why Cracked thought the map was offensive other than it appeared to vaguely connect to 9/11- what's so offensive about that?

So many people seem to be so offended by 9/11 and caught up in 'never forgetting' it that they're actually forgetting to move on in the areas where they should move on. Namely, rebuilding the WTC (exactly as it was, in my opinion) and not using it to infringe upon people's civil rights and start new waves of McCarthyism, you know, that would be nice.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
read the stroy thinking it would atleast be worth a chuckle to look at over reactions then i noticed something.
isnt the height 9'10"? (at least according to the wiki>

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
honestly, despite knowing it's based on America, I totally didn't even notice who whole thing with ground zero till I read this...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
mowinckel107 said:
since 9/11 is not a big deal (unless you are an American with your head stuck up your own ass) then it is impossible to get offended by it
America kills triple the amount that died in the towers every year and while it is sad for the people who died then USA as a nation did deserve it
Yep, all those human beings who died in the attacks sure did deserve it, didn't they? I mean, those heartless accountants and firefighters were *gasp* working to keep their families fed and happy. Those bastards!

While we're on the subject, what about all those evil relatives and friends of those who died? Yep, they certainly deserved all the emotional and psychological suffering of losing a loved one, didn't they?
/sarcasm

Human lives aren't bargaining chips. Trying to justify civilian deaths with more civilian deaths is just cold-hearted.

Back on topic, I would take anything Cracked says with a grain of salt. Its meant to be satire first and foremost. I haven't played the game in question, but based on what I know it just sounds like a coincidence to me.

Overlord SoS

Jul 14, 2009
Also remember that Unova in only influenced by New York, I don't see Victory Road or the Pokemon League anywhere in New York, nor do I see why referring to the impact sight of a meteor as "Ground Zero" has any connotations to 9/11 other than the general term used to describe the sight of a disaster.

Seriously, ANY connotation between Kyurem and 9/11 is either a coincidence or you're looking into it too much.

megaraccoon

Dec 7, 2010
i thought of something really relevant too say to this but i wont my level of apathy toward the issue overrides my will to contribute.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Masuda confirmed that this was not their intent... pretty nutty coincidence, but it's only that, a coincidence... it seems sorta like what I like to call the Swastika Effect. before the Nazis, the swastika was a symbol of peace. but since WWII, everyone has associated the swastika with the Nazi party. just like how after 9/11, everyone associated the term "Ground Zero" with that one event. the way I see it, it's not so much people looking too deep into it as it is people putting the picture together the wrong way. it's based off of New York City and there's a big barren wasteland roughly where the Twin Towers were. this area is then hit by an object from the sky. this obviously isn't what Masuda was going for, but it just kinda popped up of it's own accord.

Off Topic: and to all the people going "9/11 wasn't THAT big a deal, stop WHINING.", please, fuck off and go troll somewhere else. yes, it was ten years ago. no, that does not mean that it's "no big deal". jokes are harmless, but to insinuate that the deaths of innocent men, women, and children magically un-tragic themselves after ten years is just flat-out horrible.
(alright, rant over)