Is the 9/11 Pokemon offensive?

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
rancher of monsters said:
So I don't know if there was already a post about this, but I guess in the new Pokemon games Unova is modeled after New York City, complete with it's own Ground Zero. This is caused by a meteor which then leaves a pokemon who happens to 9 feet 11 inches tall. Obviously, I doubt that the Pokemon team had any serious negative intentions here, but it does seem a bit insensitive.

Found out about it on Cracked.com

http://www.cracked.com/article_19087_the-9-most-offensive-911-references-in-pop-culture.html

It's #5 on the list.
I'll be your dipping sauce ***** if people stop complaining about this. (tee-hee, reference)

Emerald_Dragonite

Jun 22, 2010
Absolutely not. Not only was that article factually incorrect (Kyurem's height was actually a typo - it is 9 feet 10 inches tall, not 11. This typo has since been fixed on it's Bulbapedia page.), it's just blatantly grasping at straws. In the games, KYUREM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CASTELIA OR NIMBASA CITY. In fact, Kyurem is found in a place called the Giant Chasm, which is nowhere near Route 4 - it's on Route 13, which isn't even accessible until after the player defeats the Elite Four. And yes, the Giant Chasm was formed by a meteor strike, but let me reiterate that while Route 4 is in South-Central Unova, Route 13, the location of the Giant Chasm, is in the upper Northeastern part of the region.
To compare, Route 4:

And the Giant Chasm:

See? Absolutely nowhere near Route 4. And for that matter, Route 4 itself. Yes, it's a desert with a constant sandstorm going on. But you know what else is going on there? Construction. Building. Making what is currently an uninhabitable place livable, and giving the place a fresh start. A clean slate, as it were, upon which the promise of a future is built on the innovation of the present. Far from being offensive, Route 4 is INSPIRING.

The only thing I find offensive about this article is that the writer would blow this entire thing so far out of proportion that they would grasp so desperately at straws just to make an article for cracked.com.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
mr_rubino said:
Tragedy is all about "My dick is bigger than your dick" to the Euros if you haven't noticed.
Seems like Americans are the same way.

mr_rubino said:
Well that and shouting down nonexistent groups of people to malign and stifle discussion of anything they don't approve of.
While I wouldn't say you're shouting being in text and all, but you seem to be making the attempt to stifle a discussion you don't approve of, or at least you're projecting you don't approve of.

mr_rubino said:
Must not be big fans of speech and debate over there. *waves flag*
Believe what you want about free speech, but every nation has censorship and free speech is free so long as you don't piss someone off.

Tragedy is subjective, if you're American then yes, 9/11 was tragic, same goes for Euro's/Asians/Africans as far "tragic" events that occur within their nations. When you look at it objectively and understand that you're not the only ones in the world it helps take things into perspective.

The morale of the story: Bad things happen all the time, people make mistakes or poor decisions which cost human lives. The real tragedy is that this happens at all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rancher of monsters said:
So I don't know if there was already a post about this, but I guess in the new Pokemon games Unova is modeled after New York City, complete with it's own Ground Zero. This is caused by a meteor which then leaves a pokemon who happens to 9 feet 11 inches tall. Obviously, I doubt that the Pokemon team had any serious negative intentions here, but it does seem a bit insensitive.

Found out about it on Cracked.com

http://www.cracked.com/article_19087_the-9-most-offensive-911-references-in-pop-culture.html

It's #5 on the list.
Wow. If those are the MOST offensive, I think we're in pretty good shape. One or two kinda made me twitch, but most of them are lame at worst. And the Pokémon one just isn't all that horrible.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
Call me dim if you must, but I would never have thought that area of the map was referencing Ground Zero. As for the pokemon's height and weight, I think that was the translator's idea. As someone has all ready pointed out, "feet" and "inches" aren't used in Japan, they use the metric system (something we tried to utilize in the 80s, got frustrated with when students complained that it was "hard" and ditched.)

But, if that really is what is being referenced, I am glad the creators put it in the game. 9/11 happened 10 years ago and Ground Zero is STILL under-construction, ground for most of the buildings not being broken until 2008, some in 2006. NO! I know the economy being messed up probably didn't help, but if 9/11 was so important, like everyone claims it was, then the Ground Zero buildings would be up and running yesterday.

There is no malice here, no mockery of the event or the place. The creators wanted to base the new location on New York and Ground Zero is a part of modern day New York. If people don't like seeing it in a video game, they should have supported the reconstruction of the site so that the creators of Pokemon didn't have to see a giant hole in the ground while touring the city.

And before people start shouting "It's an important location in our history! You can't just build over it!" let me say that it is (1) in the middle of a major city and (2) leaving it empty and fallow would only make things worse. Those that did the damage would see it as a sign of their triumph and those who were attacked would see it as an injure and just get angry.

Even in the ancient world, when cities were invaded, populations killed and buildings destroyed with in the cities, once the madness was over the government and the people would clear away the rubble, bury the dead and build a monument / temple on the site to honor the dead, remember the event and show the world that they were not conquered! The only places they would not build over were the battles fields where great conquests or defeats occurred.

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
jonyboy13 said:
Jegsimmons said:
good god look at the trolls...just flailing about like fish out of water.

anyway...i haven't played the game, but if it was unintended then no...if it was actually called ground zero (again i haven't played the game so i wouldn't know) then ill just say Nintendo is stupid...oh wait...thats redundant.

but honestly as an american, i dont think we should be offended by this stuff unless its really direct like the wrestling thing. but on the other hand, im kinda hating how people are like "Get over it" FUCK THAT 3000 people died because pissed off radicals hate apple pie and smiling babies!What if the building were in your country? you be pretty pissed.

p.s. 10 years ago is not very long in the grand scheme of things....stop useing that excuse please.
Did you miss all the comments here?
Much worse stuff happened in our countries. That's exactly what we were saying, get out of your American bubble.
I would like to point something out. "Americans" as a whole, are not actively bitching about 9/11. "Americans" in GENERAL are not actively bitching about 9/11 being a tragedy, especially on these forums, and especially in this topic. In fact, most American Escapist Users who have posted here thing the whole issue is over blown, and accept that, yes, 9/11 is not the worst fucking thing that has happened on the god damn planet. This was brought up by a notably cynical, sarcastic, and often absurd humor site.

So please, could you explain why the general attitude of quite a few of the initial wave of posts here have been COMPLAINING ABOUT AMERICANS TALKING ABOUT 9/11.

Now we move on to you specifically. You, and the people who mentioned that worse stuff has happened in other countries are basically saying "hey, America, I feel really sorry for you and all, but [insert European/Asian/South American/African country here] had the worst tragedy of all time. If something shitty happened to someone you know, lets say, 10 years ago, and it is still bugging them, would you start ragging on them and bragging about how worse shit has happened to you, or even go as far to say it was their fault? Especially if the just wanted to leave it in the past? I imagine you would if you intentionally wanted to be a dick!

So why do that to an entire nationality. Americans feel bad about 9/11. So what if other countries, even YOUR country, has had worse shit happen. I imagine if a ton of Americans started bitching at the Japanese because "there have been worse tsunamis/earthquakes/volcanic eruptions/whatever the hell their nuclear problem is," any Japanese users would feel similar to how I, and I imagine several others feel right now.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
mjc0961 said:
Sonic Doctor said:
But now all the conspiracy theorists are going to spew that it is close enough or that Bulbipedia has been tampered with.
Are they also going to say that every copy of the game has been tampered with? Because all the games say 9 feet 10 inches too. ...Actually, some of them probably are. :(
Yeah, they will say something to the effect that Nintendo hacked into everybody's game through WiFi and changed them to cover it up.
I'd be more willing to accept that Reggie Fils-Aime snuck into everyone's houses while they were asleep and edited the games himself. First off, not everyone has wi-fi for their DS so that story falls flat (of course, that wouldn't bother some conspiracy theorists). And second, Reggie is just a bad-ass enough dude for me to believe that he'd do it. And to anyone who doesn't believe it, he doesn't have anything to say to you. He is just going to look at you:

Trolldor said:
It happened on the Eleventh of September, making it 11/9.
Maybe if you structured your calendars properly it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Har har har.
Har har har indeed.

At least they aren't calling it "911" (read as "nine one one") though. 911 is an emergency phone number, not a date.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
This, friends, is the very definition of "overthinking it."

When it's said that Unova was modeled after New York, they mean that the region is more bustling and active than previous generations. I'm quite sure that Kyurem's height of 9'11" wasn't intended at all--hell, the Japanese use metrics, and I doubt they'd go through the trouble of making sure it converted to that precise measurement for the US release.

People these days.

Sep 14, 2009
ninjastovall0 said:
When Junichi Masuda was asked about this he got very upset that we thought that and assured (over again) thats not what they ever intended
in other words
your reading to much into it.
this. i highly facepalm when people read to much into things..it happens way too often.

thaluikhain said:
That's very "WTF"? but not actually offensive. A fictional NYC having a fictional WTC site...fair enoguh...the 9'11 thing is very odd though.

On the other hand, every time their's a crash, we hear the same "What was that last thing through ____'s mind?" jokes, and people laugh at those.

Depends when, though, by now passions have cooled quite a bit, it's increasingly safe to mention.
hahahahahha that is hilarious. thank you for posting that.

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

Honestly, the reference completely passed my mind until you brought up just now. I still don't really care, however. Seriously, I can understand the emotions around 9/11, but you American's seem to treat it as though Al Qaeda nuked half your country away when the Twin Towers fell, and seem to want everyone else to care just as excessively about it when we have no reason or care to.

Stop bringing it the fuck up. Please.
American here. Just wanna reenforce the general consensus on this thread that 9/11 is one of the most overly dramatized and exaggerated "tragedies" in american history. I was 8 when it happened, and now over half of my life has been spent surrounded by the goings-on of these wretched middle eastern conflicts. I fucking hate it. Yeah, a lot of people died that day, but guess what, my fellow Americans? the body count is STILL going up, in nations that had NOTHING to do with god damned 9/11, which while I can never say was anything less then tragic, we need to fucking SUCK IT UP and realize we need to GET OVER OURSELVES and stop dealing out the equivalent to a 9/11 attack to a middle eastern town daily at the tip of a cruise missile.

HEy rest of America? remember Pearl Harbor? We don't seem that bent out of shape over that still, now do we.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
So we freak out about a spicy hidden undertone of 9/11 representation, but when someone makes a joke about Japan getting nuked all the sudden it's not as bad.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Emerald_Dragonite said:
Absolutely not. Not only was that article factually incorrect (Kyurem's height was actually a typo - it is 9 feet 10 inches tall, not 11. This typo has since been fixed on it's Bulbapedia page.), it's just blatantly grasping at straws. In the games, KYUREM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CASTELIA OR NIMBASA CITY. In fact, Kyurem is found in a place called the Giant Chasm, which is nowhere near Route 4 - it's on Route 13, which isn't even accessible until after the player defeats the Elite Four. And yes, the Giant Chasm was formed by a meteor strike, but let me reiterate that while Route 4 is in South-Central Unova, Route 13, the location of the Giant Chasm, is in the upper Northeastern part of the region.
To compare, Route 4:

And the Giant Chasm:

See? Absolutely nowhere near Route 4. And for that matter, Route 4 itself. Yes, it's a desert with a constant sandstorm going on. But you know what else is going on there? Construction. Building. Making what is currently an uninhabitable place livable, and giving the place a fresh start. A clean slate, as it were, upon which the promise of a future is built on the innovation of the present. Far from being offensive, Route 4 is INSPIRING.

The only thing I find offensive about this article is that the writer would blow this entire thing so far out of proportion that they would grasp so desperately at straws just to make an article for cracked.com.
Could the thread-opener edit this into the original post, please? Because loads of people are posting offended comments on the 8th page about this without OBVIOUSLY reading anything in between, when the connection has been entirely debunked.

And the rest of the article is ridiculous too. The end of a film references 9/11 and... That's offensive? I mean, it didn't mock it or even overly expose it. It's just there. And it came out of nowhere, just like IRL. Is it that big of a taboo to even mention the day?!

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Wintermute_ said:
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

Honestly, the reference completely passed my mind until you brought up just now. I still don't really care, however. Seriously, I can understand the emotions around 9/11, but you American's seem to treat it as though Al Qaeda nuked half your country away when the Twin Towers fell, and seem to want everyone else to care just as excessively about it when we have no reason or care to.

American here. Just wanna reenforce the general consensus on this thread that 9/11 is one of the most overly dramatized and exaggerated "tragedies" in american history. I was 8 when it happened, and now over half of my life has been spent surrounded by the goings-on of these wretched middle eastern conflicts. I fucking hate it. Yeah, a lot of people died that day, but guess what, my fellow Americans? the body count is STILL going up, in nations that had NOTHING to do with god damned 9/11, which while I can never say was anything less then tragic, we need to fucking SUCK IT UP and realize we need to GET OVER OURSELVES and stop dealing out the equivalent to a 9/11 attack to a middle eastern town daily at the tip of a cruise missile.

HEy rest of America? remember Pearl Harbor? We don't seem that bent out of shape over that still, now do we.
I'm actually kind of proud of responses like this in this thread. It seems like the emotional scar of the event is FINALLY healing just like those things naturally do. I always got the feeling that there was an aggressive agenda feverishly trying to sanctify the event as a milestone in planetary history of biblical proportions (which is frankly quite insensitive in itself - it ignores the victims in favour of "wounded pride"). I'm glad the posters here are taking it far more rationally than that.

As a 6-year-old child, I survived a war that claimed about 20,000 lives, and displaced almost a million people. There was actual fear of a foreign aggressor marching into our suburban utopia, butchering people and hiding them in mass graves. And even with this kind of emotional scar that Americans probably won't ever experience (but still put themselves through in Homefront and its ilk, for baffling reasons), my entire country almost completely got over what happened in less than a decade, and more effort has been poured into burying old hatreds with what was once "the enemy". It's now "our fellow neighbour" and the rare ethnic hate against them sparks unanimous public outrage. It wasn't a perfect recovery, but it went quite well!

I thought 9/11 was getting the opposite treatment, and that it would remain untouchable for quite a while longer. I'm glad this thread is largely proving me wrong.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Alorxico said:
Call me dim if you must, but I would never have thought that area of the map was referencing Ground Zero. As for the pokemon's height and weight, I think that was the translator's idea. As someone has all ready pointed out, "feet" and "inches" aren't used in Japan, they use the metric system (something we tried to utilize in the 80s, got frustrated with when students complained that it was "hard" and ditched.)

But, if that really is what is being referenced, I am glad the creators put it in the game. 9/11 happened 10 years ago and Ground Zero is STILL under-construction, ground for most of the buildings not being broken until 2008, some in 2006. NO! I know the economy being messed up probably didn't help, but if 9/11 was so important, like everyone claims it was, then the Ground Zero buildings would be up and running yesterday.

There is no malice here, no mockery of the event or the place. The creators wanted to base the new location on New York and Ground Zero is a part of modern day New York. If people don't like seeing it in a video game, they should have supported the reconstruction of the site so that the creators of Pokemon didn't have to see a giant hole in the ground while touring the city.

And before people start shouting "It's an important location in our history! You can't just build over it!" let me say that it is (1) in the middle of a major city and (2) leaving it empty and fallow would only make things worse. Those that did the damage would see it as a sign of their triumph and those who were attacked would see it as an injure and just get angry.

Even in the ancient world, when cities were invaded, populations killed and buildings destroyed with in the cities, once the madness was over the government and the people would clear away the rubble, bury the dead and build a monument / temple on the site to honor the dead, remember the event and show the world that they were not conquered! The only places they would not build over were the battles fields where great conquests or defeats occurred.
You know, if you look at the supposed "Ground Zero" in pokemon, you can see parts where workers are doing construction on unfinished buildings. Also if this really is based off of New York, what does the desert ruins represent? Or the Dream yard? And what location represents Central Park? I really am interested in this.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
I don't think most of you really understand 9/11 as Americans do. And for the Americans here that don't seem to really give a fuck - well, that says more about you're age vs your ignorance: you were either too young to really comprehend the changes that the attack brought with it, or you were too ignorant and self-absorbed to give a shit about anything outside watching the next episode of Pokemon to care anyways.

TBH, the attacks stick with us not just because of the property damage or the body count - hell, we've had worse. The stigma remains because of the clusterfuck that happened afterwards.

Because of that attack, it gave an idiot president overwhelming support in both congress and the senate to have two or so shit wars in countries vaguely-related to the event based on scanty evidence. In that time, said idiot president also passed a shit-ton of legislation that heavily restricted personal liberty and civilian legal power under the name of emergency power and national security.
Because of how well the aforementioned idiot president handled the immediate aftermath of 9/11, he had a strong enough support base to win a second four-year term. Now going eight years with this idiot, our economy turned from a plain recession to a depression and kept the war going, putting us in a trillion-dollar debt.

I personally am not that sentimental about the direct attacks, but to say that it is a negligible part of US history is to express childish ignorance.

9/11 was the true end of the 1990's for us - it was when that big dot-com bubble that gave us a surplus economy busted, it was when our interior national attitude went from bloated-but-easy-going superpower to intensely-paranoid and semi-xenophobic (airport security, for one, was much more concerned about getting you on the plane than checking your underwear for in-woven explosives). Because of all the wars we started out of the fear and panic of the attack, we went from the big and arrogant superpower that occasionally annoyed everyone else in the international community to the most openly-hated. It was our entrance from a decade of ease to one of unrest and hardship that will probably continue into the next one.

tldr; 9/11 itself wasn't that bad comparatively. It was the aftermath, which we still feel today.

*EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Pokemon thing really isn't that offensive. Sure, a little wonky in the way anything from Japan is lost in cultural translation, but not truly offensive.

Of course, the smartest thing they could have done would have been to avoid it entirely and just have it as 'inspired' by NYC minus 9/11. New York was around LONG before 9/11. 9/11 certainly didn't put it on the map.

But playing devil's advocate: it would be like creating a giant mouse pokemon that uses radiation and atom-themed attacks that resides in a power plant in a map that was 'inspired' by the Russian country side and calling it Chernobylchu.

city cider

Jun 23, 2010
I mean, I'm australian, so I don't really find it offensive, but I understand why people would. This is tasteless to the extreme.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
That didn't offend me at all. Though...I must admit. Those candies at the number one slot seem to be just a little tasteless.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

I live in New York, but I dont get offended by 9/11 stuff. Even if this was true, it wouldnt bother me. What DOES bother me is the way you worded your response. I get your point, but dont say you americans like all of us are the same. Considering we are the most not the same than any country in the world, its very ignorant.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
jonyboy13 said:
Kortney said:
To be honest, whilst I don't find it particularly offensive, I find it extremely hypocritical from the Japanese.

The Japanese ban just about every implication of nuclear bombs in their industry. Parts of Fallout 3 were banned - simply because it contained a scene with a atomic bomb going off. It had no reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki whatsoever.

So, for a nation this sensitive I find it surprisingly hypocritical that they include Ground Zero in their game. If a Western game included the destroyed remains of Hiroshima, it would undoubtedly be banned in Japan and be cried over.
Did you just seriously compare 3,000 almost instant deaths to 246,000 deaths including radiation and a lot more suffering and the desctruction of so many buildings? Wow.
Did you just seriously miss the point entirely? Wow.