Is the 9/11 Pokemon offensive?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
But now all the conspiracy theorists are going to spew that it is close enough or that Bulbipedia has been tampered with.
Are they also going to say that every copy of the game has been tampered with? Because all the games say 9 feet 10 inches too. ...Actually, some of them probably are. :(

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Yopaz said:
SirBryghtside said:
*Is from England*

It's not so much the amount of people who died - it's the fact that it was intentional.

I don't think any human-created events but large-scale wars have caused that much death, and certainly not that quickly.

And part of the reason I'm so opposed to it is because I once said something along mowin's lines, and got my first ever mod wrath because of it. And during that 3-day suspension, I realised that a lot of friends on this site were still affected by it.

I stand by my statement.
So you don't think Hiroshima's 166000 victims and Nagasaki's 60000 victims come close to have done as much as the 3000 who died in the terrorist attacks on September 11. 2001?
Yes, you have friends affected by it, thus you have some personal ties to it. Concentration camps were worse than this because that was done with a system. This was planned, but the victims were random.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki was part of a war, but far more than 3000 were killed in a flash. It should also be mentioned that the targets were chosen partially because there wouldn't be much military action, easily said, the U.S. government chose a place where most would be civilians.
I have never said that what happened with World TRade Center wasn't a tragedy, I'm just saying that it's not that big in the context. There has been, and there are so many tragedies in the past and tragedies going on as we speak. Libya, Iraq, Guantanamo, Japan, Israel.

Explain, what makes the incident with World Trade Center the biggest tragedy in history?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Once again, not trying to diminish what happened to all those people on 9/11.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Not once did i ever put the two together. The 9/11 site is not the only Ground Zero in the whole world.

deleteyourself

Mar 22, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Psh, you'd think people would realise that the twin towers are not the end all of 'big buildings that were destroyed with explosions'.

The only people who are offended are the kind of people who look for things to be offended by.
A country with no real history has to invent it on the spot so well - 9/11's a thing to remember and it will be remembered and it will damn annoy the hell out of everybody who is not American for the next quite-a-big-number-of-years or so.

As for the Pokemon: come on, that's not even funny. I know it's going to be one of the most stupid things I've heard this year and it has barely even started!

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
good god look at the trolls...just flailing about like fish out of water.

anyway...i haven't played the game, but if it was unintended then no...if it was actually called ground zero (again i haven't played the game so i wouldn't know) then ill just say Nintendo is stupid...oh wait...thats redundant.

but honestly as an american, i dont think we should be offended by this stuff unless its really direct like the wrestling thing. but on the other hand, im kinda hating how people are like "Get over it" FUCK THAT 3000 people died because pissed off radicals hate apple pie and smiling babies!What if the building were in your country? you be pretty pissed.

p.s. 10 years ago is not very long in the grand scheme of things....stop useing that excuse please.
Did you miss all the comments here?
Much worse stuff happened in our countries. That's exactly what we were saying, get out of your American bubble.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
So, ground zero is pretty much as large as the entirety of New York city, never contained 2 towers, and is a digsite and desert resort? News to me.

Also, no meteors hit R4.

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
mowinckel107 said:
since 9/11 is not a big deal (unless you are an American with your head stuck up your own ass) then it is impossible to get offended by it
America kills triple the amount that died in the towers every year and while it is sad for the people who died then USA as a nation did deserve it
You really didn't just say that last part, did you?

Honestly, I'm not remotely offended by this, and wouldn't be in the slightest if it wasn't completely overblown and diluted in preliminary reports. Obviously, from what I understand, the Japanese might have included a memorium reference in game out of respect. Sort of like a real life version of the idea behind Lavender Town from Gen 1.

What I am offended over is that a couple of jackasses have decided to make this thread into a fucking "America can suck it" rant contest.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Doesn't bother me. It happened a LONG time ago and people need to calm themselves about it. I mean seriously, it has been over 5 year now and people should learn to just deal with it and stop trying to find 9/11 related issues to say, "Hey look! This is terrible because it involves the numbers '9' and '11' in the same place! Terrorists!". Plus, it is a video game made for children. I'm fairly certain Game Freak isn't trying to put in secret messages about 9/11.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
rancher of monsters said:
So I don't know if there was already a post about this, but I guess in the new Pokemon games Unova is modeled after New York City, complete with it's own Ground Zero. This is caused by a meteor which then leaves a pokemon who happens to 9 feet 11 inches tall. Obviously, I doubt that the Pokemon team had any serious negative intentions here, but it does seem a bit insensitive.

Found out about it on Cracked.com

http://www.cracked.com/article_19087_the-9-most-offensive-911-references-in-pop-culture.html

It's #5 on the list.
It happened on the Eleventh of September, making it 11/9.
Maybe if you structured your calendars properly it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Har har har.

But seriously, who gives a fuck?
Really?
About any of them?
Also that pokemon bullshit reads like a conspiracy coming from someone who really wanted to find something to be offended at.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Sonic Doctor said:
But now all the conspiracy theorists are going to spew that it is close enough or that Bulbipedia has been tampered with.
Are they also going to say that every copy of the game has been tampered with? Because all the games say 9 feet 10 inches too. ...Actually, some of them probably are. :(
Yeah, they will say something to the effect that Nintendo hacked into everybody's game through WiFi and changed them to cover it up.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

Honestly, the reference completely passed my mind until you brought up just now. I still don't really care, however. Seriously, I can understand the emotions around 9/11, but you American's seem to treat it as though Al Qaeda nuked half your country away when the Twin Towers fell, and seem to want everyone else to care just as excessively about it when we have no reason or care to.

Stop bringing it the fuck up. Please.
You sir...win.

OT: NYC? Kinda reminds me of Fallout (ie New Vegas sorta) a gleaming oasis in the middle of...whatever blew that to hell...

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
thats retarded, though not the stupidest pokemon related thing i heard. i found out recently that the episode of pokemon where ash goes into a tower to get a ghost pokemon, was banned because apparently a tower full of ghosts was too similar to the world trade center....somehow

ikoian

Feb 9, 2011
As an American, not at all. It was 10 years ago, heck, our own country's Loony Toons made fun of WW2 in some of their skits.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
To be honest, whilst I don't find it particularly offensive, I find it extremely hypocritical from the Japanese.

The Japanese ban just about every implication of nuclear bombs in their industry. Parts of Fallout 3 were banned - simply because it contained a scene with a atomic bomb going off. It had no reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki whatsoever.

So, for a nation this sensitive I find it surprisingly hypocritical that they include Ground Zero in their game. If a Western game included the destroyed remains of Hiroshima, it would undoubtedly be banned in Japan and be cried over.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
A bit tasteless and misplaced, but not malicious. Still, they should have known this was going to happen.

What I find ridiculous is that people still laugh at the Jew-pizza joke. Probably some (in fact I know a few) who took this personally. Just going to put it out there that I'm the opposite.

Though it would have been really funny if nobody died.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I recall finding Kyurem in the middle of a frozen forest in the mountains, nowhere near any sort of town or city.