Is the Switch another Wii U?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
erttheking said:
So is there any purpose in anyone else besides you guys being in this thread anymore? Just asking so I know if I shouldn't bother coming back and decide if I should get some writing done or try out the Octopath Traveler demo.
i'm not stopping you from participating and talking to other people in the thread.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
erttheking said:
So is there any purpose in anyone else besides you guys being in this thread anymore? Just asking so I know if I shouldn't bother coming back and decide if I should get some writing done or try out the Octopath Traveler demo.
I'll talk to you. I don't know what to say but I agree that this back and forth between Phoenix and Yoshi is very uninteresting.

Let me see, I am so bored with the Switch that I am back to playing the SNES Classic. Which is my way of saying that I wish Switch had a Virtual console.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Mothro said:
erttheking said:
I'll talk to you. I don't know what to say but I agree that this back and forth between Phoenix and Yoshi is very uninteresting.

Let me see, I am so bored with the Switch that I am back to playing the SNES Classic. Which is my way of saying that I wish Switch had a Virtual console.
I'd argue against the Switch being boring but I agree with you 110% on it needing a Virtual Console. If only because the idea of being able to play classic SNES games on the go makes me giddy.

Though I'm confused. They said they don't have the Virtual Console, yet every other week or so they throw up a NES game onto the E-shop. Donkey Kong just went up (for eight bucks, which is a little too much IMHO, games like that are worth five tops) so are they still gonna be uploading classic games to sell, they're just gonna be calling it something different? It's odd.

Jan 27, 2011
erttheking said:
I'd argue against the Switch being boring but I agree with you 110% on it needing a Virtual Console. If only because the idea of being able to play classic SNES games on the go makes me giddy.
I know! I don't understand why THIS is the nintendo console that had no Virtual Console.

If it was up to me, it would have launched with the most robust Virtual Console ever. Crono Trigger, Final fantasy 2/4 and 3/6, All the Donkey Kongs, Mario world, Megaman X, Mario Kart 64, Mario 64, and then at the announcement I've have been all "And finally...One NEW addition...GAMECUBE GAMES! We've got Mario Power Tennis, Double Dash, Custom Robo, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and more to come!"

Seriously, SNES games are perfect bus fodder, and the 64 and gamecube had some amazing stuff on it. Hell, strike a deal with Sega to bring back Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2's online mode! ;_;

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
erttheking said:
Mothro said:
erttheking said:

Though I'm confused. They said they don't have the Virtual Console, yet every other week or so they throw up a NES game onto the E-shop. Donkey Kong just went up (for eight bucks, which is a little too much IMHO, games like that are worth five tops) so are they still gonna be uploading classic games to sell, they're just gonna be calling it something different? It's odd.
Might just be rebranding to avoid confusion with actual virtual consoles that are potentially coming out left and right. Like it'd be weird to have your classics library labelled "Virtual Console" next to the game streaming stuff from MS, Ubisoft, et al. And potentially damaging given the negative response to said services.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
You said here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1055335-Switch-Online-Service?page=6#24246465] that all the space you explored included a COD game, 2 Red Steels, 2 Batmans, and Skyrim. That's not exploring the space.
Yes it is. not everyone wants to, or can afford to play literally every single 3rd Party title in existence like you do. it's already hard enough collecting Nintendo games without adding every single other 3rd Party game out there to my budget as well lol.

and i'd much rather play Mario over the latest FIFA ANY day of the week lol.
I've hardly played every single 3rd-party game. Games aren't expensive, I played God of War for $10 total just recently. The main reason I console game is because of how cheap it is to game on them. You don't need to "collect" games, just try whatever are the most interesting games. I don't care who makes the game, I care how interesting it looks; the E3 game that interested me most was Control. I'd be a pretty disappointed gamer if I just played Sony or Nintendo games for example, thinking one company is going to publish/develop all my favorite games is pretty illogical. It's like expecting Sony pictures (or Disney or Fox or Paramount) to make the best movies and only watching those movies.

I'd rather play Dishonored or Divinity than any Mario or Uncharted or God of War or Halo or Gears any day of the week. 3rd-party isn't just mega-popular stuff like FIFA or GTA or Skyrim. There's entire genres Nintendo doesn't even make like immersive sims.

erttheking said:
the idea of being able to play classic SNES games on the go makes me giddy
You can do that on your phone even with a controller no less.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
erttheking said:
Mothro said:
erttheking said:

It seems like they want to be able to throw up classic games without the Virtual Console branding or it's pricing.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
I've hardly played every single 3rd-party game.
Sounds like you haven't "explored the space" either then according to your logic LMAO

Phoenixmgs said:
erttheking said:
Yeah some of us actually prefer to play legal copies of our games.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Phoenixmgs said:
Again, you didn't get my point of PS4/Xbone getting EVERY game regardless of being hipster or non-hipster, last-gen port/remaster or not. You know, the conversation went Addict says "Switch only gets hipster indie games and last-gen ports", you reply "So does PS4/Xbone", and I say "PS4/Xbone get everything else too", which you can't claim for the Switch and that was my entire point.
EVERY game ?

Sorry, but most of the games i am playing have so far not been ported to any console at all. And certainly not because they are too niche. It is always either too demanding for the hardware or lack of interest replace the whole UI with something controller compatible.

Occasionally i consider buying a console, but then i browse the libraries of available games only to be thoroughly underwhelmed and not buying one.

PC still has by far the best library. And if contemplating a console as addition to PC, the Xbox is always the worst option due to the biggest overlap.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Aiddon said:
d I'll gladly play Switch version of their FPS titles because gyro controls are just so much better than analog sticks
I know a lot of people say this but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Maybe it's because I'm a grouchy old man who thinks that Pong is a young mans game but every time I try gyro controls on something like Splatoon I just can't hit anything.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Satinavian said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Again, you didn't get my point of PS4/Xbone getting EVERY game regardless of being hipster or non-hipster, last-gen port/remaster or not. You know, the conversation went Addict says "Switch only gets hipster indie games and last-gen ports", you reply "So does PS4/Xbone", and I say "PS4/Xbone get everything else too", which you can't claim for the Switch and that was my entire point.
EVERY game ?

Sorry, but most of the games i am playing have so far not been ported to any console at all. And certainly not because they are too niche. It is always either too demanding for the hardware or lack of interest replace the whole UI with something controller compatible.

Occasionally i consider buying a console, but then i browse the libraries of available games only to be thoroughly underwhelmed and not buying one.

PC still has by far the best library. And if contemplating a console as addition to PC, the Xbox is always the worst option due to the biggest overlap.
The metaphor I like to use is two toasters (Xbox/Playstation) and a wafflemaker(Nintendo).

The PC would probably be the toaster over. More versatile overall and makes toast (and technically could make waffles), but more expensive and a larger footprint and some technical skill required to use.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
spartandude said:
Aiddon said:
d I'll gladly play Switch version of their FPS titles because gyro controls are just so much better than analog sticks
I know a lot of people say this but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Maybe it's because I'm a grouchy old man who thinks that Pong is a young mans game but every time I try gyro controls on something like Splatoon I just can't hit anything.
Think of Gyro controls being more of an enhancement to your aiming rather than 100% relying on them to aim.

i mainly use Gyro controls to quickly look up or down or quickly spin around left and right. it's really usefull in moments where You might be facing one direction and then be like "oh shit he's over there, not where i thought he was." The Gyro allows you to quickly spin to the correct general direction you need to be facing.

analogue sticks just simply as fast in situations like that. that's why all the Pro Splatoon players play with Gyro controls and why Bethesda was heavily requested by players to implement them into DOOM and now they're coming to Wolfenstein to follow on from the positive response Bethesda got from when they added them to DOOM.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Gauche said:
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
erttheking said:
Just dump your own ROM and emulate it
See, part of the appeal of the Virtual Console is that sometimes you didn't get a game you wanted to play back in the day, or it simply got lost or damaged over time (I had a great big bag of GBA games once, no idea what happened to it, it still pisses me off) and VC sometimes provides the chance to fill that gap in your library.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
No, I don't see it like that.

I don't own a WiiU, though I may get one just to play some Wii games, and I don't own a Switch.

It does feel like Nintendo is learning a little and TRYING to get more 3rd Party support.

HOWEVER, I don't care for all the ports.
EXCLUSIVES sell systems, not ports.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Gauche said:
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
erttheking said:
Just dump your own ROM and emulate it
If I wanted to play SNES games on my PC, I would just do it. Have been able to do it for years. It's not the same as playing a legit copy with a Nintendo controller.

Currently the best way to play SNES games is on the SNES Classic with the real SNES controller. You can also use real SNES controller on the Wii and the Wii U.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Sounds like you haven't "explored the space" either then according to your logic LMAO

I've played every genre at some point and usually one of most series. I doubt you even played a proper RPG, that has actual role-playing.

If the rights holder isn't making an old game I want to play available, then I have no problem playing it illegally. Any company shouldn't allow getting their content illegally the superior service. It's like the music industry and Napster where Napster was the better service and also free, but now the legal ways of listening to music are better services than the illegal way and people will pay for the better service. Nintendo needs to get with the times like the music industry. And let's not forget, Nintendo downloaded a ROM off the internet and then sold it.

Satinavian said:
Phoenixmgs said:
PS4/Xbone getting EVERY game
EVERY game ?

What "PC" games aren't on consoles nowadays except RTSs and other hardcore strategy games? The consoles get stuff like Divinity, Pillars, Cities Skylines, Shadow Tactics, and so much more nowadays that they never would've gotten even last-gen. AAA console games are the ones pushing graphics and hardware more than PC games, what's PC's current Crysis for example? Most great PC games nowadays can run on a system without a video card. I think only some strategy games need CPU power consoles may not have.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Short version: No.

Long version: NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

While it may have been mostly port city this year. Near the end of year and next year, there are a lot more original titles going around.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
What "PC" games aren't on consoles nowadays except RTSs and other hardcore strategy games?
Quake (very specifically and emphatically have shot down console versions based on performance drops). World of Warcraft. League of Legends. That-which-must-not-be-named, assuming it ever becomes a real thing and not wistful fantasies in wind, will presumably also be a PC exclusive.

(Crytek amusingly enough does have some weird survival, daresay, Battle Royale thing coming out this year as a pc exclusive)

If we're being pedantic about differing experiences, Just Cause isn't a pile of ass that hits sub 10 FPS on PC. All the Bethesda games that are reliant on mods and fixes from playerbases to have a decent playthrough without having the luck of a Leprechaun pissing rainbows or waiting months. Stuff like Ark that has drastic differences in performance and usability of the interface. Sutff like Cities and Prison Architect that wandered onto console for whatever reason but about as well suited for being there as an ice cream truck in the North Pole (which is strange, because they could use any combination of gyro/touchscreen/pads/motion pointer controls to actually have functional mouses. To say nothing of the consoles actually recognizing KB/M now)

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
I doubt you even played a proper RPG, that has actual role-playing.
HK47 says you assume too much Meatbag.

Phoenixmgs said:
And let's not forget, Nintendo downloaded a ROM off the internet and then sold it.
Let's not forget Sony stole and copyrighted an independent artist's music and then promoted it on their official youtube channel. :)