VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Mothro said:
Gauche said:
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
erttheking said:
the idea of being able to play classic SNES games on the go makes me giddy
You can do that on your phone even with a controller no less.
Yeah some of us actually prefer to play legal copies of our games.
Just dump your own ROM and emulate it
If I wanted to play SNES games on my PC, I would just do it. Have been able to do it for years. It's not the same as playing a legit copy with a Nintendo controller.

Currently the best way to play SNES games is on the SNES Classic with the real SNES controller. You can also use real SNES controller on the Wii and the Wii U.
I agree

Personally, I quite enjoy playing them on my PSP
Dpad inputs are easier on the thumb I find

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Seth Carter said:
Phoenixmgs said:
What "PC" games aren't on consoles nowadays except RTSs and other hardcore strategy games?
Quake (very specifically and emphatically have shot down console versions based on performance drops). World of Warcraft. League of Legends. That-which-must-not-be-named, assuming it ever becomes a real thing and not wistful fantasies in wind, will presumably also be a PC exclusive.

(Crytek amusingly enough does have some weird survival, daresay, Battle Royale thing coming out this year as a pc exclusive)

If we're being pedantic about differing experiences, Just Cause isn't a pile of ass that hits sub 10 FPS on PC. All the Bethesda games that are reliant on mods and fixes from playerbases to have a decent playthrough without having the luck of a Leprechaun pissing rainbows or waiting months. Stuff like Ark that has drastic differences in performance and usability of the interface. Sutff like Cities and Prison Architect that wandered onto console for whatever reason but about as well suited for being there as an ice cream truck in the North Pole (which is strange, because they could use any combination of gyro/touchscreen/pads/motion pointer controls to actually have functional mouses. To say nothing of the consoles actually recognizing KB/M now)
I was mainly referring to currently releasing games and not PC's entire backlog of games. I bought Divinity Original Sin on PC because it was one of those games that would never get a console release, and now it's rather commonplace and I'll be buying Divinity 2 on PS4 in a couple months probably. I even play Divinity 1 on PC with my PS4 controller/interface.

Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I doubt you even played a proper RPG, that has actual role-playing.
HK47 says you assume too much Meatbag.
Phoenixmgs said:
And let's not forget, Nintendo downloaded a ROM off the internet and then sold it.
Let's not forget Sony stole and copyrighted an independent artist's music and then promoted it on their official youtube channel. :)
So you gonna play Pillars or Divinity on Switch?

Sony didn't steal anything. You think Sony makes 3rd-party game trailers? And that's not nearly on par with Nintendo saying don't download ROMs and doing that very thing themselves.

Gauche said:
Personally, I quite enjoy playing them on my PSP
I think Yoshi just threw up in mouth a little right there.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Phoenixmgs said:
What "PC" games aren't on consoles nowadays except RTSs and other hardcore strategy games? The consoles get stuff like Divinity, Pillars, Cities Skylines, Shadow Tactics, and so much more nowadays that they never would've gotten even last-gen. AAA console games are the ones pushing graphics and hardware more than PC games, what's PC's current Crysis for example? Most great PC games nowadays can run on a system without a video card. I think only some strategy games need CPU power consoles may not have.
See, the games i am playing right now are Stellaris, Europa Universalis IV, Total War Warhammer II and Pillars II. Of those only Pillars II has any chance to get eventually get to consoles. For the others it is typical, the whole Total War series and pretty much all of Paradox Grand strategy titles won't get console releases. Even after years.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Satinavian said:
See, the games i am playing right now are Stellaris, Europa Universalis IV, Total War Warhammer II and Pillars II. Of those only Pillars II has any chance to get eventually get to consoles. For the others it is typical, the whole Total War series and pretty much all of Paradox Grand strategy titles won't get console releases. Even after years.
Pillars II is definitely getting a console release, even Switch is getting it. The other 3 are strategy games that are like the one type of games that don't see console releases. I personally prefer getting my strategy kicks from board games so for me missing out on those type of games, I'm OK with. On the whole, console and PC game libraries are really damn close to each other.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
I was mainly referring to currently releasing games and not PC's entire backlog of games. I bought Divinity Original Sin on PC because it was one of those games that would never get a console release, and now it's rather commonplace and I'll be buying Divinity 2 on PS4 in a couple months probably. I even play Divinity 1 on PC with my PS4 controller/interface.
Quake Champions is not out yet, neither is the Crytek Survival game or Tarsay Itizencay. World of Warcraft just had an expansion in November. From the second bit, Ark also came out last year, and Just Cause is slated to have an entry this year (which granted, may be actually be optimized for consoles this time around).

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I doubt you even played a proper RPG, that has actual role-playing.
HK47 says you assume too much Meatbag.
Phoenixmgs said:
And let's not forget, Nintendo downloaded a ROM off the internet and then sold it.
Let's not forget Sony stole and copyrighted an independent artist's music and then promoted it on their official youtube channel. :)
So you gonna play Pillars or Divinity on Switch?
I don't know. i've never even heard of the game let alone seen any trailers to know anything about it in the first place.

Phoenixmgs said:
Sony didn't steal anything. You think Sony makes 3rd-party game trailers?
Sony might not have made the trailer, but they are definitely promoting this plagerism on their official youtube channel and earning revenue off of it.

Phoenixmgs said:
And that's not nearly on par with Nintendo saying don't download ROMs and doing that very thing themselves.
You're right, Sony is just promoting this stolen work and making money off it on their official Youtube when they could have easily taken down the plagiarized work ages ago. but no it's still up there.
that's not nearly on par with Nintendo saying don't download ROMs and doing that very thing themselves.

What Sony's done is illegal and What Nintendo did isn't. :)

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Seth Carter said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Quake Champions is not out yet, neither is the Crytek Survival game or Tarsay Itizencay. World of Warcraft just had an expansion in November. From the second bit, Ark also came out last year, and Just Cause is slated to have an entry this year (which granted, may be actually be optimized for consoles this time around).
Quake probably ain't coming to consoles. The Crytek game probably is. And the other one is probably just a scam. Everyone that wants to play or wanted to play WoW is playing or has already played it for the most part.

Yoshi178 said:
I don't know. i've never even heard of the game let alone seen any trailers to know anything about it in the first place.

What Sony's done is illegal and What Nintendo did isn't. :)
Well, Obsidian makes Pillars and they made KOTOR2. Divinity 2 was proclaimed like greatest RPG ever last year. I don't know how you haven't heard of them.

Nintendo proclaims downloading ROMs is horrible and they did it themselves. I doubt Sony has made any money off that copyrighted song. Who watches that trailer and buys the game because of the song?

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
The Switch is more like the VITA instead of the Wii U, its getting a ton of Indie support. Although unlike the VITA their isn't a stupid memory card tax and the Switch has 1st party support. AAA gaming is in a wierd shit show, it doesn't matter that Switch is missing out on some games. KH3 is probably the biggest game the Switch is missing out on. Also Dragon Quest 11 doesn't have a release window for the Switch. Ubisoft, Namco and Bethesda have been working on porting games. DOOM on the Switch proves it can run PS4 and X1 game if the port job is done correctly. I know people might say it took a hit graphically and frame wise. I bought Need for Speed Payback for the PS4 and DOOM for the Switch on the same weekend. DOOM was a game that played alright and was the worse looking version of the game. NFS Pay Back was a such a Piece of shit game, there is a jump at the end of the game that is suppose to be climatic end. I made the jump, it glitched and reset me as if failed to do the stunt. Switch ports that done by good developers are better then some EA games.

Jan 27, 2011
Phoenixmgs said:
Nintendo proclaims downloading ROMs is horrible and they did it themselves.
You're kind of missing the point here.

Nintendo says downloading roms is horrible, because you're getting access to their intellectual property without paying them for it.

Nintendo downloading a rom to resell on the other hand, is them getting access to their OWN intellectual property and selling it.

Is is lazy? Yup. Is it kinda hypocritical? Yeah, I guess. But illegal? Considering there's the traditional "out" of "You can use a rom if you own the game", you'd think the people who actually own the copyright to the game will be able to do whatever the heck they want with a rom of their own game, no?

I doubt Sony has made any money off that copyrighted song. Who watches that trailer and buys the game because of the song?
I can't check myself, but apparently that trailer is monetized.

That and Sony hits videos with copyright claims for having Sony game footage in it (regardless of fair use), only to then turn around and allow a game to sell itself using someone else's music with no credit given at all for it being used in a commercial manner, which hews a little closer to hypocritical and illegal than the Rom thing, IMO.

Now, ultimately, it's not blatant hypocrisy and illegal because Black Tiger is technically some kind of third party thing...But considering how Sony seems awfully protective of it for some weird reason, it gets considerably more attention than a regular third party crap indie game gets.

Ultimately, I can't pass judgement on either company for either of these things, aside from a disappointed shake of the head, really.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The Black Tiger thing was probably just settled quietly off in the background somewhere, assuming the makers of Parasyte even cared to begin with (google doesn't seem to indicate so). They push a claim button and the ad revenue on it just goes to them instead unless its disputed. Given that it was some sort of remix, even the makers of that "game" may have just been sold some shoddy contracting.

Nintendo, while a bit of egg on face, downloading their own ROM is almost guaranteed to be legal, unless it was modified and copyrighted in some way by the guy pirating the game, which seems doubtful.

You're picking some seriously misdemeanor level stuff in your game of "Who has the biggest throne of d****s" here. You've got such a smorgasbord of anti-consumer crap on all three sides to pick from, and dubious copyright infringement is the line in the sand? lol

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think my "short version" would be: When the Wii-U came out, the AAA market was healthy, and its [significant] absence from the console's line-up was a bad sign.

Now the Switch is out, the AAA-market is having significant issues, and where it is absent, independent titles are largely filling the gaps. Bethesda's presence alone (Doom, Skyrim, The New Colossus) is a huge show of the console's strength, particularly in as much as it's filling a unique home/portable niche.

I don't have one yet. My daughter wants one, and intends to save for it this summer.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
aegix drakan said:
Phoenixmgs said:

Nintendo says downloading roms is horrible, because you're getting access to their intellectual property without paying them for it.

Nintendo downloading a rom to resell on the other hand, is them getting access to their OWN intellectual property and selling it.

Is is lazy? Yup. Is it kinda hypocritical? Yeah, I guess. But illegal? Considering there's the traditional "out" of "You can use a rom if you own the game", you'd think the people who actually own the copyright to the game will be able to do whatever the heck they want with a rom of their own game, no?

I doubt Sony has made any money off that copyrighted song. Who watches that trailer and buys the game because of the song?

That and Sony hits videos with copyright claims for having Sony game footage in it (regardless of fair use), only to then turn around and allow a game to sell itself using someone else's music with no credit given at all for it being used in a commercial manner, which hews a little closer to hypocritical and illegal than the Rom thing, IMO.

Now, ultimately, it's not blatant hypocrisy and illegal because Black Tiger is technically some kind of third party thing...But considering how Sony seems awfully protective of it for some weird reason, it gets considerably more attention than a regular third party crap indie game gets.

Ultimately, I can't pass judgement on either company for either of these things, aside from a disappointed shake of the head, really.
You summed it up perfectly. :)

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
spartandude said:
Aiddon said:
d I'll gladly play Switch version of their FPS titles because gyro controls are just so much better than analog sticks
I know a lot of people say this but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Maybe it's because I'm a grouchy old man who thinks that Pong is a young mans game but every time I try gyro controls on something like Splatoon I just can't hit anything.
Think of Gyro controls being more of an enhancement to your aiming rather 100% relying on them to aim.

i mainly use Gyro controls to quickly look up or down or quickly spin around left and right. it's really usual in moments where You might be facing one direction and then be like "oh shit he's over there, not where i thought he was. The Gyro allows you to quickly spin to the correct general direction you need to be facing.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll to stick with it. I remember trying to get used to dual analogue sticks, WASD+Mouse and flight sticks. Maybe if I put more effort in I can get the hang of it.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
spartandude said:
Yoshi178 said:
spartandude said:
Aiddon said:
d I'll gladly play Switch version of their FPS titles because gyro controls are just so much better than analog sticks
I know a lot of people say this but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Maybe it's because I'm a grouchy old man who thinks that Pong is a young mans game but every time I try gyro controls on something like Splatoon I just can't hit anything.
Think of Gyro controls being more of an enhancement to your aiming rather 100% relying on them to aim.

i mainly use Gyro controls to quickly look up or down or quickly spin around left and right. it's really usual in moments where You might be facing one direction and then be like "oh shit he's over there, not where i thought he was. The Gyro allows you to quickly spin to the correct general direction you need to be facing.

no worries.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll to stick with it. I remember trying to get used to dual analogue sticks, WASD+Mouse and flight sticks. Maybe if I put more effort in I can get the hang of it.
i mainly tilt the Gyro to help me look up and down while the analogue stick is doing most of my work while using the analogue to aim at the specific point i want to shoot at but that's just me. others may use it differently.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Phoenixmgs said:

I totally get why any game company would say ROMs are illegal. Nintendo's stance on emulation is just downright poor IMO. It's the hypocrisy that's the thing. Nintendo is just so behind the times in many regards whether just in online gaming, Nintendo Youtube copyright claims, or being so behind in online gaming. I'll agree the trailer's use of music is most likely illegal but who knows if the copyright holder ended up claiming and getting some revenue. It was a remix as well so maybe it's not copyright infringement due to music copyright itself being rather subjective to whether someone "ripped off" a song or not. And, it's not like Sony was raking in money because people were watching the video because of the song and the vast majority of views are most likely due to people watching it to see how bad the game is. Not that it makes it OK by any means, just that I don't think the music played a role in any money made from the monetization or sales of the game.

When has Sony made copyright claims against Youtubers? The only thing I even found with a quick search was Sony claiming leaked PS4 slim content. Nintendo does the most with regards to video game content claims.

Callate said:
When the Wii-U came out, the AAA market was healthy, and its [significant] absence from the console's line-up was a bad sign.

Now the Switch is out, the AAA-market is having significant issues, and where it is absent, independent titles are largely filling the gaps.
The AAA market was IMO the worst it's ever been between about the last half of last-gen and the 1st 2-3 years of current-gen. AAA games were so homogeneous during that period, every melee combat system (even Uncharted 3) utilized Arkham combat and every shooter was a same-y MMS. Square even tried to make Hitman mainstream turning it into a generic linear stealth-TPS game nobody wanted. I'm not saying AAA gaming has completely bounced back by any means but it's definitely gotten better since that time. And the mid-tier and indie sectors are definitely pumping out great games usually offering better gameplay than their AAA counterparts. Hell, digital board games are better portable games than anything you'll find on a either the 3DS, Vita, or Switch.

Jan 27, 2011
Phoenixmgs said:
The AAA market was IMO the worst it's ever been between about the last half of last-gen and the 1st 2-3 years of current-gen. AAA games were so homogeneous during that period, every melee combat system (even Uncharted 3) utilized Arkham combat and every shooter was a same-y MMS. Square even tried to make Hitman mainstream turning it into a generic linear stealth-TPS game nobody wanted. I'm not saying AAA gaming has completely bounced back by any means but it's definitely gotten better since that time. And the mid-tier and indie sectors are definitely pumping out great games usually offering better gameplay than their AAA counterparts. Hell, digital board games are better portable games than anything you'll find on a either the 3DS, Vita, or Switch.
Uhh...Not too much better now.

Yes, it's sliiiightly less homogeneous now, but I chalk that up to there not being a reliable trend to chase other than "open world" which at least can be done in a lot of different ways.

Meanwhile, monetization is getting more and more scammy and lootboxy and pay to win by the year, and the age of Battle Royale in Everything looks like it's about to really kick into gear.

If it weren't for prominent Indies, Nintendo, Bethesda and a couple hail mary's from Sony, just about everything would either be an open world sandbox with nothing in it, or a hero shooter, most likely with some kind of loot box driven microtransaction scheme.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Phoenixmgs said:
The AAA market was IMO the worst it's ever been between about the last half of last-gen and the 1st 2-3 years of current-gen...
Uhh...Not too much better now.

Yes, it's sliiiightly less homogeneous now, but I chalk that up to there not being a reliable trend to chase other than "open world" which at least can be done in a lot of different ways.

Meanwhile, monetization is getting more and more scammy and lootboxy and pay to win by the year, and the age of Battle Royale in Everything looks like it's about to really kick into gear.

If it weren't for prominent Indies, Nintendo, Bethesda and a couple hail mary's from Sony, just about everything would either be an open world sandbox with nothing in it, or a hero shooter, most likely with some kind of loot box driven microtransaction scheme.
Like I said, AAA is better now than at its worst but it ain't close to good either. Even the hero shooter is better than the MMS, I'll take a Battleborn or Overwatch over another COD or BF any day. The whole monetization and lootbox stuff gets so overblown, the only game I ever played with lootboxes was Mass Effect 3. It's REALLY easy to avoid buying games with monetization; I've yet to ever have to not buy a game that looks great because of scummy monetization. Plus, I think lootboxes have reached their peak and they're now on the downturn. Just look at that 1st half of 2017 with all the great games across most genres from stuff like Zelda and Horizon along with Nier, Persona, Yakuza, Nioh, etc. You got Arkane making great games from Dishonored to Prey. Real Hitman came back. The Last Guardian was amazing. AAA is back to seeing that survival horror is viable albeit mainly due to the indie/mid-tier horror push. Look at the recent E3 with melee combat games like Shadows Die Twice and Ghost of Tsushima that aren't using Arkham combat. And Spiderman is even seeming to evolve said Arkham combat to include some awesome aerial combat. Things are far better than they were just 5 or so years back. Again, not anything to be giving out gold stars, but quite a bit better than rock bottom.

It's mostly the online multiplayer ones that have such scummy bullshit in them and they usually aren't great games anyway like a Destiny/Division/Anthem (most likely) or a COD/BF. And you can apply that same "designated to MP" to battle royale modes. Why should I get into some current multiplayer game when I can play much better competitive board games or play better competitive video games on PS3 for free (without PS+ required or monetization). Even today, if I felt like playing a shooter online, I'm booting up my PS3 and playing MGO2 on fan run servers completely due to it having better gameplay than any current-gen shooter.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
melee combat games like Shadows Die Twice and Ghost of Tsushima that aren't using Arkham combat.
Who knows about SDT, but Ghosts is almost definitely basic (if nicely animated with the counters and evades) Arkham combat. Just watch the sequences and you can fill in the button prompts yourself. They even took the most ridiculous dodge of a question in their in depth interview and started babbling about the mud VFX when asked point blank about it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Seth Carter said:
Phoenixmgs said:
melee combat games like Shadows Die Twice and Ghost of Tsushima that aren't using Arkham combat.
Who knows about SDT, but Ghosts is almost definitely basic (if nicely animated with the counters and evades) Arkham combat. Just watch the sequences and you can fill in the button prompts yourself. They even took the most ridiculous dodge of a question in their in depth interview and started babbling about the mud VFX when asked point blank about it.
I don't think Ghosts will have straight up Arkham combat because it seems 1v1 fights are going to be a major element and straight Arkham combat never excelled there. But we'll see I guess.