Is the traffic from ZP good or bad for the Escapist community?

Jul 9, 2008
Symp4thy said:
I'm a new member. I just joined today, and I can honestly say this particular thread is a big reason why. I have been coming to the Escapist for some time now, usually just for ZP, but occasionally I will glance at the forums. Today this thread caught my eye. I've been looking for a good forum to join, but most I've seen are flooded with imbeciles and/or children. After reading all the comments to this thread about the strict rules and the banning of idiots, I was convinced that this was the forum for me. You all seem to have a good community going here, and hopefully, in time, you all will consider me a worthwhile member that ZP has brought in.
Welcome.
J-Man said:
Hello, and welcome to the escapist. It's safer here. *Beats with stunstick*
You totally stole that from Combined.
Jandau said:
Well, speaking as a person who got dragged in by ZP, I'm glad I found this forum (ZP or no ZP) and I like to think I'm a part of the non-troll newbie population.

Population increases are always a mixed blessing and generally tend to seem worse than they actually are since idiots tend to be more vocal. However, Escapist appears to be very well moderated and if the mods can keep up the pace, the downsides of more trolls will be insignificant compared to the benefits of a greater number of productive community members.
Agreed. However, I might be a bit biased, since ZP brought me in and I still watch it regularly.

By the way, all of a sudden the text on this site got small and the badges changed from 4 side-by-side to three side-by-side and one below. Did I hit something weird or is it like that for everyone?

sirdapfrey

Jan 2, 2009
I am very new to the Escapist community (I think this is like my 10th post), so I may not be as qualified to answer the OP question as some of you long-time members, but I think all-in-all the additional traffic is a good thing. I am one of the many who originally came to this site for ZP. This is the only place online that I've been interested enough to bother joining to post (in my opinion) lucid, coherent responses. I agree that a lot of "unwanted" people join because of ZP in the first place; I also believe these people will fall into one of two groups: those who leave after getting bored or banned, and those who are decent contributive people or those who can be after following others' example.

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
Syntax Error said:
Came here for ZP, stayed for the forums. This is the only forums I know of where grammar is taken as a priority in posts. Plus there's a sense of community here not present in other videogame culture forums I went through.
This is the same for me. Although, I watched zp, got into the forums, and continued to watch zp. I have probably made three, maybe four, posts on the zp forums.

Top Dollar

Jan 3, 2009
ZP and the forums are the only good thing on this site IMO.
And as the majority of forum users wouldn't be here without ZP it stands to reason that it must be good. 3 idiots a week getting banned is worth it.

GammaChris

Dec 14, 2008
Well, I came here just because of ZP, to be honest. At first, I didn't care about the forums at all. Then, for one reason or another, I decided to lurk around a bit, decided I liked it, and decided to move in. We've been best friends ever since!

On the other hand, I do see a lot of trouble following people who blindly follow Yahtzee. I never felt an urge to shout "FIRST" whenever I got somewhere. Wouldn't it be more suitable to say something witty or charming? After all, everybody is going to see the first post, right? Might as well leave a good impression.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I came to the Escapist along with Yahtzee, though I didn't join the forum for a couple of weeks. Didn't really notice anything except the videos, and assumed the forums were just for them.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
Well ZP brought me here and you guys like me..............right? Oh no, the self-doubt monster is back, I'll be in my shame hole crying if anyone needs me.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
I'll admit that I came here because of ZP. I was looking for BioShock videos on youtube and I found his review. Then I saw a few more of them, decided that I love them, and then joined the Escapist. I used to OMGITZLIKEWEDNESDAY but now it's just something really fun to do when I remember. I mostly visit the Escapist for the wonderful forums and the expertly written articles (oh, and Stolen Pixels is fantastic)

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I'd just like to say that idiots exist everywhere and if they weren't attracted to ZP, they'd be attracted to something else. Even if ZP attracts idiots, it also attracts people who I think would be at least slightly smarter than idiots, and the ones who are idiots will show themselves and either get banned quickly, or become hated by a majority of the community, and the proceed to leaving forever.

In short, no, I don't think the traffic from ZP is bad for the community.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
It's great for the site, lovely traffic = lovely monies!
I guess the(relatively) small amount of trolls that we get is worth it, as the money helps improve the forums. Anyway I don't generally pay much attention to the Forums on Wednesdays and so I avoid the majority of posts/threads starting containing Yahtzee related things.
orannis62 said:
By the way, all of a sudden the text on this site got small and the badges changed from 4 side-by-side to three side-by-side and one below. Did I hit something weird or is it like that for everyone?
You might have accidentally zoomed out, try zooming in again.

BigbadaBEEF

Jan 5, 2009
Syntax Error said:
Came here for ZP, stayed for the forums. This is the only forums I know of where grammar is taken as a priority in posts. Plus there's a sense of community here not present in other videogame culture forums I went through.
Exactly what he said

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Sylocat said:
I blame ZP, at least partially, for the fact that we're not allowed to like any video games anymore that weren't made by Valve.
what?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Of course it's good - I mean, I'm here, and I'm awesome! Heh, just kidding, I suck really :'( Nah, these forums are good. Screw those who don't bother integrating with the society - they can watch the videos as much as they want, and you 'Better than thous' who seem to despise such traffic can ignore them. There, everyone's happy :D

TBH, without the videos what would this site be? Just some boring gaming news and discussion board? Who would care, beyond a small close-knit community? The videos, particularly ZP, bring in the crowd interested in gaming and with a sense of humour. The interesting minority remain on the board. Win-win...

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
Followed ZP here from YouTube, I can't remember where my first post was.
I also stayed for the forums, I still haven't found one that quite rightly leaps on people for using txt speak when they're not texting/IM'ing, or using "LOL" as their sole post.

I actually visited a ZP thread recently, it's been a looooong time. I realised very quickly why the man himself never visits them - it's unbelievably polarised - either "ZP rulez" or "stop being a fanboy", or the often used "this week's wasn't as funny as last weeks".

I do so adore seeing people making prats of themselves online and seeing why they're banned (guess it's a car crash mentality), but a lot of the people there, ooh, say 98%, take the proverbial biscuit.
Yes, kids like to feel part of a group and say the same things, but surely "First" and similar must be out of fashion now... It's got to come soon, right?
Right?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
For the site? Good.

For the Forums? Bad, because we get so many "I only watch ZP and have no opinions of my own" idiots wandering in here on Wednesdays. However we all started as one of them, admit it!
I will do no such thing.

I have always found him funny, but never actually refused to buy a game because of him.