Is there any good anime left?

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I'm gonna have to suggest one of the classics. Urusei Yatsura. And my absolute favorite anime, Ranma1/2. Both made by Rumiko Takahashi. You may recognize her name as the creator of Inuyasha. I would call Inuyasha...as her worst work. Look at how many people love that series, now think on how good these other two are.

Floggo

Mar 30, 2010
I found this yesterday, it's made by the bloke who made Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop and the music is composed from Yoko Kanno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8M4pO4tBs

SecretAlienMan

Mar 31, 2010
You can always start watching abridged anime shows. Dragon Ball Z Abridged and Yugioh Abridged are pretty awesome

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Two words: Panty and Stocking.

OK, so you might spot some of the usual anime cliches here, but at least you won't be expected to take them seriously!

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Here's my personal list. I don't guarantee that you or anyone else will like them, but... well... they might be worth a peek. :eek:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Death Note
- Ghost in the Shell
- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Neon Genesis Evangelion

Also, someone else mentioned the Dragonball Z Abridged parodies. Those are hilarious. XD

Sep 30, 2010
Ariyura said:
I will also add Guilty Crown to that list along with Ghost Hunt and Nabari no ou.
I just want to thank you. I had seen Nabari but neither of the others and since I saw your post I began watching Guilty Crown. It is phenomenal and I'm grateful to you.

As far as my own recommendations for the OP Code Geass, Darker than Black, Cowboy Bebop, and Eden of the East are some of my personal favorites.

John Pepperell

Mar 4, 2011
For Abridged series I would also recommend the Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged by Lanipator o top of what has already been put forth for Abridged series

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Azumanga Daioh, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Deadman Wonderland... theres lots out there! You just need to search harder!!!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Un go is good, Phi brain is alright. Brave 10 is decent. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon is neat but dumb. High School DxD is ok, Last_Exile_-Fam,_The_Silver_Wing is GREAT! Fairy tail is good.

madkill

Mar 10, 2008
Yureina said:
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 are very very good in-comparison to the original series in my opinion, the only thing 1.0 and 2.0 lack is the original series' intro.
Basically there's a 3.0 is to be released Fall of this year and 4.0 to be released in 2013.

The 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0 remakes are based on the original series of Neon Genesis Evangelion but with all episodes put into a series of four films, there's a lot of rearranging of certain events and scenes which creates a more effective continuity, one thing that seems burrowed under the storyline is certain areas of character development that aren't there any more but hopefully they'll appear in 3.0 and 4.0, this remake does the series proud in my opinion, the voices are also unchanged as well which is decent.
If you watch the original series first you'll understand the characters better, alternatively you could just watch 1.0 & 2.0 instead as you're not missing much. (The lack of the original series' intro is a bummer though)
These films will hopefully have a much better ending than the original series, which was a 'had to' cop'out due to the idiots in-charge trying to dodge taxes.

What I do find funny is after I watch NGE and then E1.0/2.0 I decided to watch Blue Gender for the first time and found it amazing that Shinji's dad was the Head Scientist on 2ndEarth.
Commander Gendo- http://www.absoluteanime.com/neon_genesis_evangelion/gendo.jpg
Scientist Seno- http://www.slayers-bj.zoomshare.com/album/Blue%20Gender%20/images/78600da1e281ab706989902dd4aad8b3_11575384770/image.jpg
(Talk about your parallel universe lookalikes.)

madkill

Mar 10, 2008
Yureina said:
madkill said:
I've actually yet to see the rebuilds. I'm waiting for all of them to come out first. :3
But what if the world ends and you die without seeing 1.0 and 2.0?! You'll never be allowed through the pearly gates! :c

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
madkill said:
But what if the world ends and you die without seeing 1.0 and 2.0?! You'll never be allowed through the pearly gates! :c
Well, if the world ends it will be me that causes it. After all, I have control over whether or not Third Impact will happen. ;)

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
John Pepperell said:
For Abridged series I would also recommend the Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged by Lanipator o top of what has already been put forth for Abridged series
...This exists?! Well I know what I'll be doing for the next few days.

Speaking of YYH, that's another great anime, great mix of badassery, man tears, and humor

madkill

Mar 10, 2008
I'll just jump into the Blue Gender universe, after the ending.

Still, I felt sorry for Science-Guy Seno though, that made me feel sadface during the "what happened then" montage in the last episode. But after he died I chuckled a bit when the station blew up.

humanizer

Jun 25, 2009
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! has some pretty hilarious parts to it and the fights are well done and don't go on forever

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
OP is very right, I never use to watch anime, but have gotten into them (relatively) recently, and have already turned away from a series due to the clichés.

The series in question was D.Gray Man, it might be good but it just didn't seem to grab me enough to stay with it because of all the clichés it was throwing out there.

I've enjoyed immensely the anime's I've watched, but I really hope that I'm not spoiling the medium for myself by doing it. I wonder when I'll get to the point where every anime i start to watch feels the same staleness as D.Gray man did.

Still, I suppose by that point I'll watch them anyway, as something to pass the time and enjoy on a much lesser level than when I first started. (or eventually be turned off them completely and go back to how it use to be before I 'discovered' them).

So, a question to anyone that reads this and knows much about anime:

Dragon Ball Z (this nostalgia trip started me on anime)
Code Geass
Deathnote
Full Metal Alchemist (and FMA:Brotherhood)
Soul Eater
The Melancholy of Huruhi Suzumiya (i also watched huruhi-chan, but didn't get into that other churyo-whatever one)
Shuffle
Angel Beats
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan
The Familiar of Zero
Serial Experiments Lain

those are all the anime's i've watched through.
Would you say those cover the whole 'range' of themes you see in anime(eg. slice of life, comedy, action, philosophical/deep/cerebral, etc.), or is there some niche of anime i'm yet to experience from having watched only that list?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Don't worry, there's still plenty of good anime out there. Of course, a person's definition of "good" can very, so instead, I'll just list a few anime that are unlike any other anime out there. Instead of writing a description, I'll just post an image from the series to raise your interest. The rest is up to you!

Kino's Journey

The Tatami Galaxy

Trapeze

Usagi Drop

Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth

Koe de Oshigoto! The Animation

Last Exile

Monster

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Allison & Lillia

FLAG

Bakemonogatari

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Working!!

Victorian Romance Emma

Some_weirdGuy said:
So, a question to anyone that reads this and knows much about anime:

Dragon Ball Z (this nostalgia trip started me on anime)
Code Geass
Deathnote
Full Metal Alchemist (and FMA:Brotherhood)
Soul Eater
The Melancholy of Huruhi Suzumiya (i also watched huruhi-chan, but didn't get into that other churyo-whatever one)
Shuffle
Angel Beats
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan
The Familiar of Zero
Serial Experiments Lain

those are all the anime's i've watched through.
Would you say those cover the whole 'range' of themes you see in anime(eg. slice of life, comedy, action, philosophical/deep/cerebral, etc.), or is there some niche of anime i'm yet to experience from having watched only that list?
That's a pretty good spread you've got there, but you're missing comedy. Specially, "sit-com" style comedy, where the humor comes from everyday life situations. Also, something "arthouse" would be good too.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
Normally I duck out of these "list off stuff you like" threads, as people are usually able to name all of the stuff that I like. However, Here and there, now and then is absent.

Escapist, I am disappoint.