Is there any good anime left?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Togs said:
Herpity derpy derp

OT:
5 centimeters per second is a really nice movie. Fairly short too.
Grave of the fireflies. Quite the touching piece about two orphaned children under WWII
Death note has a really good first half. Then it goes all shitty. It's still worth it.
Welcome to the NHK (NHK ni youkoso) is an interesting story about the life of a person with a social anxiety problem (hikikomori). Might be a bit idealistic if you don't like that kind of stuff though.
Mawaru penguindrum is good if you want something strange and filled with symbolism and metaphors.
Nichijou and Azumanga daioh are both great for some lighthearted humor.
PSG, FLCL and Gurren Lagann - all by Gainax - are great.
Steins; gate is one of the better recent anime. The story travels in a bit of an unexpected direction, but it is certainly not a wasted opportunity.

I see a couple of people recommending High school of the dead. Don't watch it. It's pretty much the best example I can think of of a wasted storytelling opportunity. Pretty much just fanservice all the way.
Oh, and in my opinion, Serial experiments Lain was a pretentious piece of wank. I wouldn't recommend it.

Aconite333

May 1, 2008
galaktar said:
I've spent a good chunk of my free time these past years watching the animes that caught my attention. At first it was refreshing to see new ideas, settings, and plots explored. As time went on though, I started actively searching for new things to watch. I stumbled upon a few hidden gems, but things progressed, the pickins got slimmer. I'm sick of the cliches. I'm sick of the stereotypical characters. I'm sick of the wasted storytelling opportunities that Japanese animation revels in.

I've seen too many to list here, but I want to ask if the internet has any other recommendations before I swear off the medium entirely. Is there anything left for a jaded anime fan?
Yeah. I agree with you there, buddy. I don't know where it all began, but some time in the last ten(?) years, anime started to give even less of **** about things like subject matter, story, plot, or even characters. I'm not expecting every anime to be the next Ghost in the Shell, Paranoia Agent, or Fullmetal Alchemist. But I do expect that not every anime becomes the "Sexy Girls Do Cute Things Under Implausible Circumstances" anime.

Seriously, when did all anime become a chronicling of sexy anime girls doing sexy anime girl things? I've already been fooled by animes like Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon that have complicated backgrounds and settings, only to find that it's mostly about sexy anime girls fighting in ridiculous outfits.

That said, there are some good ones out there. Someone mentioned Tiger and Bunny, and that's okay. It's not a thinker, but you're not going to feel insulted by watching it, and it's got a semi-interesting premise that (hold on to your hats) isn't forgotten about after the initial setup episodes.

I tried watching that Durarara!! anime, but... I guess it wasn't to my taste. I don't know what other people see in it, but I came away feeling like it was trying to be deep and thoughtful and it just wasn't able to. But what do I know?

However! If you're looking for animes to laugh at, MST3K style, then you'll have no problem finding some. My suggestion? Queen's Blade. Forget about it being 95% boobs, tits, and knockers. I find it hilarious what lengths that shows goes to in order to make sure the viewer never goes 0.5 seconds without their weekly fill of T&A, and yet it still thinks it can tell a story about redemption and stuff. This is my personal recommendation. Just find animes to watch and laugh at.

Also, you could just wait for the next Avatar series, The Legend of Korra. Can't go wrong there.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Like some have said "Spice and Wolf" is a very good anime. It doesn't follow along the traditional lines much.

Than theres the .Hack series. You want good anime ".Hack Sign" and ".Hack Roots" are a must see. They play with more traditional rolls for characters, the loner, the trickster, the white knight. But thats just surface, you do get to see deeper into them. Than the plot is just riddled with mystery and all kinds of things. Than theres the soundtrack, my dark lord it's a masterpiece.

So if you've never seen any of these . And you like fantasy type anime this is your bag. But .Hack is also for mystery lovers.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
Ariyura said:
Matt King said:
highschool of the dead is pretty good and soul eater is awesome
I will also add Guilty Crown to that list along with Ghost Hunt and Nabari no ou.
damn you, i already have too much stuff on my watch list now i have more :'(

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Matt King said:
Ariyura said:
Matt King said:
highschool of the dead is pretty good and soul eater is awesome
I will also add Guilty Crown to that list along with Ghost Hunt and Nabari no ou.
damn you, i already have too much stuff on my watch list now i have more :'(
lol there's always more. Especially with sites willingly streaming them they're easier to find now too.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
going somewhat off-topic: watch Avatar: The Last airbender, as well as thundercats(2011) both are awesome :p

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
This is the 1st couple minutes from Cromartie High School:
Of note, Freddie Mercury is a recurring character.

Edgeless

Jul 27, 2011
Worgen said:
Have you seen Spice and Wolf, eden of the east, xam'd?
I would highly recommend Spice and Wolf, but EotE (Higashi no Eden) and Xam'd?

If it weren't for the horrid ending of them both, I would say go for it.

Xamd's first "season" was pretty damn good, but the ending was just all kinds of bananas. I mean, it's good to leave things open for the viewers to enjoy, that's what made Evangelion so popular, but like I said, Xam'd just didn't have a very succesful 2nd season.

Maybe except for Midori (Haru's sister), she creeped the hell out of me.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jonluw said:
Specically responding to your comment on High School of the Dead. A friend of mine is absolutely obsessed with that show though I've been rather uninterested. When I saw that gif you posted, at first I was like "What the heck is that white thing moving around?" Then, of course, come to the realization that she dodged a bullet with her breasts. Gotta say I'm not big on animes who can only be carried by gratuitous (spelling) amounts of fan-service. Like Tengu Tenge (think that's what it's called).

As such I'll be taking your suggestion of NOT watching it over my friend's suggestion of I've GOTTA watch it. :p

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Specically responding to your comment on High School of the Dead. A friend of mine is absolutely obsessed with that show though I've been rather uninterested. When I saw that gif you posted, at first I was like "What the heck is that white thing moving around?" Then, of course, come to the realization that she dodged a bullet with her breasts. Gotta say I'm not big on animes who can only be carried by gratuitous (spelling) amounts of fan-service. Like Tengu Tenge (think that's what it's called).

As such I'll be taking your suggestion of NOT watching it over my friend's suggestion of I've GOTTA watch it. :p
Yeah...
The beginning of the series is actually pretty interesting. "Sure, there's a decent bit of fanservice, but hey, I don't really mind that they flash some booty once in a while so long as the rest of the show is good as well, and this series has some real potential" you might find yourself thinking.
However, the fanservice just escalates through the series, and just when you think the story is going to really kick off, the series just ends.

I guess it's rather good at what its attempting to do though.
So, if you happened to be into fanservice and not too concerned about seeing the story through to the end. *shrug*
The breast sizes annoy me though.
[youtube=eWTSaygL9BA

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
ccggenius12 said:
This is the 1st couple minutes from Cromartie High School:
Of note, Freddie Mercury is a recurring character.
Now, I haven't actually watched Cromartie, but I just love this one scene I came across.
How glorious is it not to have Norio Wakamoto voice a motorcycle?

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Togs said:
Your implying anime was good to begin with.

I've never understood why kids tv being in a different language or from a different culture makes it any more acceptable for grown men and women to watch.

Right, now bring on the hate.
It isn't but most of the stuff being reccomended and stuff I asume the OP is looking for isn't kids TV, it's stuff aimed at adults.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jonluw said:
RJ 17 said:

Yeah...
The beginning of the series is actually pretty interesting. "Sure, there's a decent bit of fanservice, but hey, I don't really mind that they flash some booty once in a while so long as the rest of the show is good as well, and this series has some real potential" you might find yourself thinking.
However, the fanservice just escalates through the series, and just when you think the story is going to really kick off, the series just ends.

I guess it's rather good at what its attempting to do though.
So, if you happened to be into fanservice and not too concerned about seeing the story through to the end. *shrug*
The breast sizes annoy me though.
Yeah, that clip reminds me of one anime cliche that I REALLY can't stand...big-breasted girly-girls running with her arms bent at the elbows as they specifically shake their upper bodies from side-to-side with the express purpose of showing off the animator's sense of "jiggle-physics". Can't say that I've ever been to Japan so I can't say I know how Japanese girls run...but that just seems a bit excessive, can't really imagine any girl who takes herself seriously running like that. :p

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i will alsways recommend Kiba, such a good anime. i started shouting at the screen and my housemates were outside my room giving me some weird looks.

i LOVED Wolf's Rain. sure it's got a few plot holes but if you just go with it...well, i rarely cry at anything but i cried 3 times in one episode....don't judge me, my favourite character died

Kuroshitsuji is REALLY good. very strange and confusing but great. Kuroshitsuji II not so much but was still entertaining.

Ju Oh Say was good but it did start kinda 'oh, the main guy survived the peril, what a surprise' BUT they actually mold that INTO the story and put a great twist on it

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The problem with a lot of newer anime (say, 2006+) is that there is so much focus on blatant fan service.
K-ON! and K-ON!! are probably the most recent anime I actually liked for its own merits.

edit: Denno Coil was pretty weird/cool too.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, that clip reminds me of one anime cliche that I REALLY can't stand...big-breasted girly-girls running with her arms bent at the elbows as they specifically shake their upper bodies from side-to-side with the express purpose of showing off the animator's sense of "jiggle-physics". Can't say that I've ever been to Japan so I can't say I know how Japanese girls run...but that just seems a bit excessive, can't really imagine any girl who takes herself seriously running like that. :p
I can sort of see a sort of ditzy person with high heels running with her arms like that, but the chest-shaking thing...

thehermit2

Nov 1, 2009
Galaktar, going back to your original gripes, you're right to point out that anime has become a very stereotyped medium that falls back on a lot of cliches. Because a great amount of the initial manga work is being done by first timers with dubious writing experience rather than life-long professionals, a lot of storytelling opportunities do get wasted. These are all valid observations.

That being said, Japanese television churns out about thirty new animes a year, and while 90% of them are exactly what you are trying to avoid, there are usually a few gems or shows that break the mold. To repeat what some other posters have written, it would help a lot if you named some shows you like and why you liked them.

As far as mold breaking shows and/or shows with satisfying conclusions, try these

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - sketch comedy

Nichijou - sketch comedy

Stein's gate - hard sci-fi time travel story wrapped in harem genre

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit - young adult level fantasy with a very well told, fully explored storyline

Katanagatari - stylized period combat; a super-warrior battles the wielders of twelve evil magic "swords"

----

Happy hunting!

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Jonluw said:
RJ 17 said:
I can sort of see a sort of ditzy person with high heels running with her arms like that, but the chest-shaking thing...
Eh....yeah. For what its worth, the anime was quite fun to watch as long as you learn to laugh at the ridiculous fanservice in some episodes. Personally, when I saw the sniper boobs scene, I was laughing so hard I had to pause the video.

As for the OP's question, as you have seen, there are quite a few shows still worth watching. I shall recommend:

Spice and wolf(more focused on economics, quite interesting).
Deadman wonderland(supernatural powers in a prison facility designed my willy wonka).
Steins;gate(time travel with a twist, the main character is especially interesting).
Clannad and Clannad afterstory(if you have not seen this, shame on you! It is one of the most heart breaking slice of life anime out there).
Kannon(made by the same people who made Clannad, it is much the same type of storyline, slice of life with slight supernatural elements).
One piece(yeah, one of the 3 shonen triad, but hey, its consistently good, and they ALWAYS go back to plot points earlier in the show).
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika(magical girl anime with a huge twist, its actually VERY good, and worth watching.)

Well that's my recommendations for now, hope your search goes well. Remember, in every genre, 90% of everything is crap, just keep searching, you will find some that you like.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Gainax made some good series
Gundam UC.
Baccano/Durara look good.
Ghost In The Shell SAC.
that,s pretty much all the stuff I can recommend from 00,s/10.s
you can always try stuff from the 80,s/90,s that,s what I mostly do.

nobodysomebody

Jun 30, 2011
My personal favorites are Darker than Black, Samurai Champloo, Baccano and Durarara. Not many people (I know) have seen/know of Darker than Black, despite how good (I think) it is. It's sort of like a mystery, with action and lots of twists and turns regarding the plot. It's really good.