is this romantic or creepy?

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
So theres this girl I like. She wanted to start a band and I'm the only drummer she knows, because of that I'm in the band and I also was asked to write a song because I also happen to be good at that.
I then wrote a song describing my feelings for her, I would like to ask the people of the escapist if it would be wierd if I suggest we play that song during the next band meeting.

I didn't go so far as to use her name in the song, but everyone who sees the lyrics will figure it out.

so should I give her the song or not?

edit: nobody has yet to see the song so I don't have to bring it up if it's a bad idea

and the band is only starting to form really. right now it's just her on guitar, me on drums and possibly one of my friends on bass. if this doesn't work than it won't really disrupt the band.

MikeBrownYo

Oct 7, 2010
Bobic said:
Why not try telling her in a normal non-awkward way?
This.

Edit: I should elaborate. I know at first it's hard to go up to a girl and be like "Yo, I dig you. Wanna hang out sometime?" or whatever. But it's not going to get easier as you get older, so you may as well confront it now and move past it rather than be a lonely 40-something who didn't have the balls to approach any girls growing up.

She may say yes, she may say no. It doesn't matter. At least you confronted a fear on it. And I guess if you aren't actually afraid of telling her what's up, then just do it in a less awkward way.

The main problem with your plan to me is that if she figures it out and isn't feeling you, she'll probably pretend she has no clue what's up and it will just get SUPER awkward. If you just tell her and she says she isn't down, it will be awkward for like 10 minutes and then it will be behind you.

From the desk of Mike Brown, self proclaimed girl expert. Haha

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Yes that is awesome as long as you didn't make the song really... let's call it "aggresive". I just mean you don't have lyrics like "I wanna fuck her in the face!" or like super wierdly romantic like "I would die without you!!"...

Also you could tell her before hand in private that the song is for her just to be clear and probably a little less creepy.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Rewrite it in the style of Fish (look him up, ex Marillion) and tell noone who its about. See how long it'll take for her to notice.

Although, if its in the style of The Bloodhound Gang, it'll probably be seen as being a "tad" too forward.

Good luck.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Yeah...
Might aswell do the "telling her in a normal non-awkward way" just incase she takes it the wrong way or gets a little weirded out.
Godspeed hombre.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
the difference between romantic and creepy is in the eye of the beholder. if she's interested in you also, she'll probably find it romantic. if not, definitely creepy. so, yeah... definitely go for the straightforward approach. save romance for an actual relationship; it has no place before a relationship exists.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Yeah, I suggest the normal way. Elaborate ways of telling someone that you like them don't have a great track record.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
This might backfire hard in a band environment, especially if the other's find out aswell.
Instead of only the girl.
(Which is romantic)

Laurie Barnes

May 19, 2010
Honesty man, Honesty. Tell her that you channeled your feelings for her into this song, and want to know if she would like to play it with you. Problem solved.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I'll say it's not a good idea. Band practice isn't really a good place and time to being those things up, and you should really be performing your love song to her, instead of having her perform it with you. It could also potentially negatively affect the band. I say like many others here, just tell her in a non-awkward way. Or at the very least, perform the song for her.

This comes from a guy with no romantic experience though.

WhiteRat07

Some guy
Aug 13, 2009
I wouldn't do it like that. Doing it at a band practice will make not just the two of you uncomfortable, but everyone else. And it just really puts her on the spot.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
It isn't creepy, but it may make her feel awkward if she doesn't already know your feel feelings. I know if a guy made that kind of gesture for me, I'd be really uncomfortable. You should tell her first and then approach the topic of the song.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
In band romances are disasters for bands, find something else to hit.

Black Phoenix

Iridescence
Sep 19, 2010
MikeBrownYo said:
I should elaborate. I know at first it's hard to go up to a girl and be like "Yo, I dig you. Wanna hang out sometime?" or whatever. But it's not going to get easier as you get older, so you may as well confront it now and move past it rather than be a lonely 40-something who didn't have the balls to approach any girls growing up.
The exact situation I'll be in in about 16 years time then...

I'm gonna side with all those saying just broach the subject normally, but then I'm really not someone who should be giving advice on this sort of thing.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
God it sounds like something out of a chickflick, some women will like something like that I suppose. If you have gone to all the effort of writing it, don't back down now. Seize the day etc.

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Not knowing the girl and hwo she would react to the song, I would play it safe and just tell her in a normal way. All I can see from playing a love song written about her is intense awkwardness and regret. Also, depending on how the song sounds, others might call you a douche or whatnot, and that could get annoying.