is this romantic or creepy?

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
Sure you can perform the song for her, but just her. No one else needs to know your feelings for someone else, especially not other members of a band.
Note I've never heard of a relationship inside a band working well, it upsets balance.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
the difference between being romantic and creepy is if the feelings are mutual. so if she has the same feelings for you it will come off as a sweet gesture but if she doesnt it is going to leave an awkward feeling between everybody in the band.

i say ask her out and then later on down the line show her the song. this way you avoid any unnecessary awkwardness that might occur. just think, how would you feel if a chick in your art class painted a 4 foot mural of you (keep in mind you dont really have feelings for her), you would feel a bit uncomfortable. this is the situation you are putting yourself in

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Dude, just ask her out for a slice of pizza. If it goes well, and you start to date then spring the song on her. If you just come out of the blue and give her a song about how you feel 99% of the time that will just come across insanely creepy - this isn't some teenie bopper movie.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
Marowit said:
Dude, just ask her out for a slice of pizza. If it goes well, and you start to date then spring the song on her. If you just come out of the blue and give her a song about how you feel 99% of the time that will just come across insanely creepy - this isn't some teenie bopper movie.
we started the band over a slice of pizza actually.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
My inner romantic says this is a very, very good idea. So, avoid this idea like the plague and just talk to her. My inner romantic is a bit of a 'tard >.>

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
darthotaku said:
Marowit said:
we started the band over a slice of pizza actually.
If you need to ask if something is creepy, in general, it's creepy. Just ask her out on a regular ol' date. The whole, 'immatellyouhowifeelthroughasongandnotjusttalktoyoulikeaperson-tact' seems like an obvious pitfall.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
go for it. if she doesn't return your affection after the song then she wouldn't any way. also one of my old physics treachers told me this "fate favers the brave"

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think you should run this by her in a private, one-on-one setting. I know from personal experience as a girl that when guys get too taciturn and stand-offish about sharing their feelings, it just becomes a turn-off.

For example, the day before Valentine's this year, a friend who until that moment I had no clue had feelings for me asked me if I had any plans for Valentine's...through a text message. I think I would have turned him down either way, but it erked me that he would try to initiate a relationship through such an impersonal and non-intimate means.

So I guess to sum up my advice, find a place where you can be open with her. Share the song, but be in a situation where you both can be honest with each other without feeling uncomfortable.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Bobic said:
Why not try telling her in a normal non-awkward way?
THIS!

This is not a romantic comedy where she'll bat her eyes and giggle and everything will turn out ok in the end. This will end badly for you.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
TheMaddestHatter said:
My inner romantic says this is a very, very good idea. So, avoid this idea like the plague and just talk to her. My inner romantic is a bit of a 'tard >.>
Well put. Whenever my romantic instincts tell me to do one thing, I know I should avoid doing it at all costs. I'm a romantic, I have impossible standards for everyone, myself included.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
darthotaku said:
So theres this girl I like. She wanted to start a band and I'm the only drummer she knows, because of that I'm in the band and I also was asked to write a song because I also happen to be good at that.
I then wrote a song describing my feelings for her, I would like to ask the people of the escapist if it would be wierd if I suggest we play that song during the next band meeting.

I didn't go so far as to use her name in the song, but everyone who sees the lyrics will figure it out.

so should I give her the song or not?

edit: nobody has yet to see the song so I don't have to bring it up if it's a bad idea

and the band is only starting to form really. right now it's just her on guitar, me on drums and possibly one of my friends on bass. if this doesn't work than it won't really disrupt the band.
Personally, I find that fairly romantic, however if you do this in front of the rest of the band then it could be a bit more awkward. I'd recommend perhaps telling her more directly that you like her, without the rest of the band knowing. Write another song as backup for the band in case things don't go as well as you like. Or maybe try giving her that song, saying to her that you wrote it for her, and see how she reacts, but again, do it privately, without the rest of the band knowing. Other than that, all I can say is good luck, and I hope things go well for you :D.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
wolf thing said:
go for it. if she doesn't return your affection after the song then she wouldn't any way. also one of my old physics treachers told me this "fate favers the brave"
People only say that because they have regrets over not being more outgoing. People are generally conservative. If they were more outgoing, they'd regret most of what they did.

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
it depends on what you wrote in the song..it would be a bad idea if u had lyrics like:
"love me like i`m a 10 year old dying of cancer."
or
"do to me what america did to iraq"
or
"love me like i`m your father........Luke"
what i`m trying to say is it could be cute or it might be too much..best of luck though

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Personally I don't think its a very good idea to be in a romantic relationship with a member of your band. It could cause it to fall apart. But if you really love her, it sounds like a genuine guesture.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Totally not creepy. But also not the best way to tell her your feelings, if she values her privacy. Try telling her in a normal way. If she digs you, great.

If she doesnt, just say "Damn, i should´ve just play the song", she´ll ask "what song?" and you will reply "this song" and start playing it. She´ll be all over you, man. Or not...but at least you both get to laugh it off and make the situation less awkward.

But seriously...try to judge her character and see if she would like that approach. Each girl works in a different way, some would love to get their own song...others might find it corny. Of course, it depends if the song has the right tone and lyrics.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
imo it's completely dependent on what the girl is like. I'd say about half the girls I know would love to be asked out this way and find it really romantic, while the other half would just see it as a bit pathetic. If you think you know her well enough and you think she'd like this... then take the risk. (I know this probably isn't the clear cut answer you were hoping for but I gotta be honest)

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
"The main difference between sleaze and charm is whether she likes it."

That said, this strikes me as an awkward silence waiting to happen. Find another way.