Is your online persona the same on every website?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I just realised, while sarcastically trolling the ignorant on Youtube, that I'm much more of an arsehole on there than I am on here. I know there's an element of not wanting to get modded here, but it's also because I generally have more respect for the users here; even people I've argued with in the past I still generally consider to be fairly amicable...nice, even.

On Youtube though, I'm just a dick to people because there is no sense in trying to have a rational discussion and people are guaranteed to over-react. I remember once someone was just putting up paragraphs of hateful abuse to people and, just out of curiosity, I started replying to his comments with either 'lol wut' or 'no u' and he just kept hitting me with these long-winded --but poorly written-- insults, over and over again.

On Deviant Art, I pretty much go full fanboy whenever I'm commenting on the work of someone I respect, and I usually end up just deleting comments because I feel like I'd be wasting their time asking questions they probably get asked all the time.

And on Mangafox...Well, despite having been a member of their forums for just as long on the Escapist, I only have about 90 posts there because it's just too depressing: I honestly don't care whether Sakura or Hinata is a better match for Naruto, and there's only so many times I can read a 'this manga is dead to me!' thread (literally, there is a new one every week for Naruto).

Youtube and how I act on the Escapist are probably the closest to how I am in real life, because I'll generally only speak if I have an opinion on something and would like a discussion or if I think someone is being an abrasive dickhead and needs to be told so (I get punched in the face less than you'd expect).

TL;DR: Do you conduct yourself the same way on every part of the internet? How similar is it to how you conduct yourself in real life?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'm pretty much the same on any site. I use the same forum name everywhere (Except Tumblr and Twitter, oddly enough...) so I'd rather not make a bad name for myself elsewhere, in case it comes back to bite me in the ass later. =P

I'm a lot more spammy and laid back on social media though, especially if I'm sleep deprived.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
No. Because my personal nick that I also have as a tattoo, personal favorite book and Skype-nick also tends to taken very quickly.
It's taken here because it's too similar to another person (who never logs or posts and has been afk since 2009, sigh), but now I've posted so much that I can't change even if he deletes his account.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
sky14kemea said:
I'm pretty much the same on any site. I use the same forum name everywhere (Except Tumblr and Twitter, oddly enough...) so I'd rather not make a bad name for myself elsewhere, in case it comes back to bite me in the ass later. =P

I'm a lot more spammy and laid back on social media though, especially if I'm sleep deprived.
That's an interesting point, actually, I had to change my Youtube name and remove all the details from my page after I might have possibly, accidentally, incited some sort of jihad against myself D:

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
On Youtube, I annoy people for a quick laugh but only to those who bring it on themselves (over-reacting, trolling, incorrect facts) I don't do it often though. I mostly post a funny remark on the video and get replies laughing about it (I get top comment quite often oddly enough)
Yeah that's pretty much how I operate, I don't seek these people out but there are some videos I click onto and immediately in my mind as I'm scrolling down to the comments all I can think of is

I always aim for laughs, too, my proudest achievement is still getting 100 odd likes on a comment on a Retsupurae video, and that might be the saddest sentence I've ever written.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
sky14kemea said:

Tumblr haunts my dreams because of you... D:

OT: What you see is what you get everywhere with me. I avoid controversy and just try to fuck around as much as possible.
I like having fun, simply put. But if I need to be serious, I can be.

Then I'll go fuck around and spam gifs again. :D

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
No, it adjusts to the restraits placed upon me by the code of conduct of the site.

I'm usually a bit more blunt and call people out on bullshit more often.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
What other sites? You know the 'Scapist mods put a hit on you if you're caught posting frequently on another gaming site...

[sub][sub]Their spies are everywhere, shhhhhhhh[/sub][/sub]

Anyway, I really could not be arsed posting on more than one site regularly. I do read the Youtube comments just to see what shitstorm is going on *this* time though.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I really don't have an online persona, I am pretty much as I am in irl. Although I do complain about things on the net more than I do irl. I very rarely rant about stuff other than on the net.
However, just like abomination I do change posting habbits a bit depending on the forum I am on due to rules. I still hate that you can make short comments here :(

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Like the poster above, I don't think I have an online persona. Thus I tend to be pretty similar, whichever website/game happens to be the victim of my charms at any particular moment.
I have no idea what my personality is. I'd like to think I'm a suave, well-spoken, reasonable gentleman. But chances are I'm a loud obnoxious brute.

Maybe half and half.

On a good day.

Occasionally on WoW guild chat I would get an alt in and pretend to be a "17 year old blonde girl with large breasts".

You'd be surprised how well that worked.

Because it worked more than 0.

quinquecirrha

Jun 5, 2013
I post so rarely that I couldn't be said to have a persona. I guess that makes my persona the one who just stands in the corner and watches everyone else talk. Which describes the real me pretty well, too. And if my online persona is the same as the real me, and the real me is the same no matter what website I'm on, then my online persona would stay the same as well.

So, I guess my answer is... yes?

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
I'm always the same on anywhere I post and/or play. I'm a silly weird person that acts hyper every once and a while. Where my brain overflows with rainbows, sunshine, unicorns, puppies, kittens, blood, gore, zombies and guts. Yet on xbox I tend to act a little more reserved. But all in all I'm a friendly easy going person that just likes to have fun.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sure, why not? I tend to be fairly-awesome. Why should I be different in other places?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Jinxzy said:
But all in all I'm a friendly easy going person that just likes to have fun.
How...cute... *twitches*

I think I need to go look at R&P for a bit after that.

Vale

May 1, 2013
I get ALL the upvotes on Cracked articles' comment sections, so I must be way funnier there than other places.
I'm an asshole on Youtube and am especially fond of shouting at people for being creepy obsessive fuckers towards any and all female Youtubers.
Um.
I guess I'm kinda the same as here on the Escapist on the rest of the sites I visit.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
Caiphus said:
Jinxzy said:
But all in all I'm a friendly easy going person that just likes to have fun.
How...cute... *twitches*

I think I need to go look at R&P for a bit after that.
See it's the cute that gets you, festers into your soul and then makes you explode into bloody rainbow chunks.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Pretty much. I'm just generally shyer, in person. That's pretty much the only difference. Otherwise, I'm pretty friendly, though I can be vocal about some subjects that I feel I have a stake in. I don't feel a reason to be anything other than myself and try to treat people how I would like to be treated.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
More or less.
Have a few names...actually, quite a few names, but my personality carries through them all.
Smug, mostly polite and surprisingly easy to not notice! Which is good. 'Tis a shame that the few that do often try to "argue". In vain. Bloody annoying is what it is, but occasionally a nice discussion comes about. Fortunately, we aren't physically in the same room. I fear they would lack limbs and a functioning spine if this was the case.

On this site in particular I often go through the process of making my responses as non-offensive as possible (the rare one actually requires a couple of hasty revisions), unless they are directed towards a company. No holds barred for those faceless, corporate bastards!

My online interactions are quite similar to real life.
When I speak, however rare that may be. What you read now is my thoughts, filtered to varying degrees.
No acting required, but I imagine how I'm feeling may occasionally bleed through.