It still works!!

Apocalypse0Child

May 21, 2009
My mp3 has had parts ripped off it until it's basically just the motherboard, but it still works. Thank you not-made-in-china.

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
I've taken... a couple of my things (laptop, mp3 player, phone) into the rain with me for a nice walk. They'd get drenched along with my clothes and my messenger bag. But, at the end of the day, they still work perfectly. ... Well, except my shitty phone but I got a new one so ha!

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
electric_warrior said:
My friend fell in a river while drunk once and his phone still worked afterwards.
I must admit, when I first skimmed through that, I read "My friend fell in a river while drunk once, and he still worked afterwards!"

I don't know why...

OT: My old phone was a nokia 3210, and I was due a new one (I had had it for six years, at this stage, mind you!). So, me and a friend of mine started drop kicking it over a set of rugby posts.

Picked it up, put the battery in and the cover back on, and it still worked.

That thing was a fucking tank and a half..

Of course, the screen was a bit cracked.

an_luas

Jun 27, 2010
I've fallen off my house, out of trees off of things etc gotten myself hurt in many ways etc. and I'm surprised that my body still works!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Denamic said:
The Lugz said:
interesting use for rice, i'd still go with a cloth and a warm place over a pot of rice any day tho
Rice is actually much better.
It's particularly good at absorbing atmospheric moisture for being so readily available.
It'll get rid of the moisture in the hard to reach spots where cloth is useless.
Also, never heat up electronic devices.
Heat = death.
And keep your shit out of the sun.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/warm

it's perfectly ok to warm consumer electronics right up to around 40*c, and some allot higher
most things in your phone have been exposed to temperatures exceeding 90*c during the soldering phase of the pcb construction
so they aren't going to mind sitting somewhere warm in your house to dry out

note i never said leave it on a boiler, in an oven or in direct sunlight as that would obviously cause obvious damage and thermal stresses on specific locations and bleach things, especially screens and cameras

rice isnt that good of a desiccant in all honesty it absorbs water for sure but only in the way anything dry will, it will not attract water to it it will only absorb water that's near it a much better approach would be to unpack the bag of silicate gel you got with your laptop / pc / console and dunk your phone in that or at a pinch get some kitty litter ( it contains silica gel and other super dehydrated substances ) then warm the whole thing to around 35-40*c ( heads up the limit on a phone will be the battery so check it's operating /storage temperatures first )

and if you want to be fancy, you can enclose it in a sealed environment for added effect such as a biscuit tin and use an infra-red light on it to induce super dehydration, and restore it to how it was packed in the factory ( 0-2% hydration )- this even works with food, you can preserve things like that too
if you don't pack a desiccant in an enclosed space, you will end up absorbing allot more atmospheric moisture than you pull from your damp object

also if the water is too cold to vaporize, your drying method will likely be no different to pegging it on a clothes dryer because the water isnt going to magically jump to the silica
it needs energy to do so!

Mar 5, 2011
ChildofGallifrey said:
One time I playing the original Smash Bros. with my friend, and his sister tripped over the controller cord. The N64 fell off of his 5 1/2' dresser and landed on the linoleum floor, controller port first. The game never shut off. We just kept playing.
That's lucky. My N64 would freeze up if you breathed to close to it.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
While walking down some stairs 2 months ago I dropped my original xbox, it fell about six feet and rolled down about 5 stairs, played it yesterday.

Of course it does have a tendency to make a rattling sound.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Pokemon Blue...it went in the wash (damn my mother!) came out working (but would only do it in black and white), the only real issue was i had lost my save...i had all the pokemon...

Flip-Shying

Jun 22, 2011
After my phone went through the washing machine and tumble dryer it still managed to somehow work. The battery was a little bit swollen though so I bought a new one.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
USB through the wash. Which was very lucky. At the time I was still at school and it had a lot of saved work for school on it.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
My launch PSP had been bounced down the stairs, thrown at a concrete floor, dropped on several tiled floors (The tiles broke), thrown against walls, dropped in water, had me dropkick it several times when I missed my pocket, and it lived.

That is until one day I mashed the Square button too hard, and it broke -_-

R.I.P PSP
2005-2010

[sub]I want to finish Crisis Core, damnit!![/sub]

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
Old-school bone-style(because it kind of looks like a bone) iPod Shuffle. Only problem was that you had to keep the headphone cord in a certain, distinct position in order to hear out of both sides.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I was positive my copy of TimeSplitters 2 was busted, as it had more scratches than you could count, but one day I put it into my PS2 and ... VOILA! IT'S ALIVE!!!!! :D

Been having a great time playing it! :D

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
KaosuHamoni said:
My launch PSP had been bounced down the stairs, thrown at a concrete floor, dropped on several tiled floors (The tiles broke), thrown against walls, dropped in water, had me dropkick it several times when I missed my pocket, and it lived.

That is until one day I mashed the Square button too hard, and it broke -_-

R.I.P PSP
2005-2010
Whenever I read "R.I.P PSP 2005 - 2010", it reminds me of the "Tragedy Fad".

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
My GBA SP. It has survived a lot. I've dropped it countless times and I've lost it into a small puddle of water (in which I thought it would die). It's scratched up and the color is worn out near the buttons. The sound on my GBA SP is much lower, than that of my brother's (I think it's because of aforementioned water based accident). But it survives. I love that machine.

Take a look at that beautiful, scratched up machine. If that doesn't shout out that it has survived much abuse, then I am unsure what a handheld machine must do, to shout it. Also, look how worn out the color is near the buttons. I've used it a lot

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
My phone has been dropped so many times, outside, inside, down the stairs, in a puddle, against a wall and it has even taken a shower. It survived, but it is slowly losing the will to live, but I think that is more due to how long I've had the phone, the battery is fucked and won't charge passed 50%
I recently subjected my iPod to rather wet conditions. I had it and a bottle of water in my bag, the water somehow ended up being open and iPod had an impromptu bath. Still works.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Exact same thing happend to my "FUCK COMMUNISM" lighter (I don't smoke I just have it because of preacher) and it worked after being left to dry.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
I accidentally had a Gameboy Cartridge in my board shorts pocket and went swimming at the beach for a full hour. (I can't remember the game exactly ... it was Pokemon something)
Went home, go it blow-dried and left it out in the sun for a while. Worked perfectly.