It wasn't THAT bad!

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Dragon Age II. Yes it had its flaws, but once I got used to the lack of isometric camera options it was alright. Good enough. Not quite as good as origins but a pretty solid game as a whole. Yet its near universally hated.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Devil May Cry 2. Sure, it's nowhere near as good as the first, third, or fourth games, but it's a passable action game, and it introduced things that were refined in later games. In fact, I wish they'd kept the customizable devil trigger mechanic, because that was fun.

Also, Shingetsutan Tsukihime (the memetically "non-existent" Tsukihime anime). Granted, as an adaptation of the game, it failed utterly and horrendously...but as an anime on its own merits, it was actually decent. I especially loved what they did with the soundtrack.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Tanis said:
GOD HAND:
Reviews, at least when they first started coming out, were REALLY harsh on the game.

Yet, it's one of my favorite games on the PS2.
You know with the exception of that one IGN review I've never read or heard of anyone who DIDN'T like the game. I loved it and have discussed it several times in here, everybody around agrees it's an awesome game. It seems all the alleged bad rep came from a couple of reviews nobody remembers at this point.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
I don't exactly fit your requirements for this question but definitely Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith (video game). I have no regrets that my Mom or sister or whoever it was got me that game though since I don't remember for how much I suppose I regret not making sure they got it for less as it still isn't worth whatever we paid for it. Even at that young age I had a vague idea of what reviewers thought of it: They complained about the camera, the combat as well as how ridiculously overly choreographed dance-like it is, the graphics, the AI being as dumb as bricks, it spoiling the movie, some plot points being ridiculous, and that's more or less it.

Here's the thing: It wasn't THAT bad. I had no problems with the camera. The combat was too eccentric just like the movie but it also worked okay and honestly I thought it looked better and was more realistic than the movie, if even only a little. The characters you can choose in multiplayer do have similar moves, even doubly so for powerful charging moves, if they fit into a category of fighter (I get it Obi Wan and Cin Drallig can both do that spinny thing b/c they?re strategisty, speedy sljkafj fighters but damn why do they have to be exactly the same for 3 other moves as well? This is just a fictional example. I don?t remember who specifically felt too similar to another in terms of a few if not all their moves) but they have enough variety to satisfy if you ask me. Graphics had problems but I had it on Xbox which I think looked better than the reviewed PS2 version. The AI do occasionally not attack you when you're behind something and other similar complaints but it's not THAT common and it's not game breaking. They do make the game FAR too easy however. Spoiling the movie? Really? Plot points was a fair complaint like the movie but by expanding on scenes in the movie and giving us an alternate ending and a slightly different scenario (for example, Anakin fights Mace Windu b/c he blocks the strike instead of being too slow and distracted that he gets his hand cut off) it transcended some of the movie's failures. Some reviewers even looked forward to the movie because the game was good enough that the movie, in their minds, would be better than it actually turned out to be.

It was by no means a super awesome game but it was decent enough to warrant a discounted purchase rather than a rent or demo. After not playing certain games in a long time I go back to them for some nostalgia and fun and this game is included in that list. Of course, at the time I was not exposed to the best video gaming had to offer due to little money and other things so with my recent or more recent strides into gaming with The Last of Us (at a friend?s), Zelda (got Twilight Princess and really liked it and it was my first major Zelda game if you don?t count a Game Boy game I tried and never finished when my brother?s friend lent it to us), BioShock, Mirror?s Edge when it was being good, the 2 Batman Arkham games, and more I do find myself not enjoying that list of games more and more and finding more problems with them even when I constrict them to the time period they came out. I still think the heavy criticism from reviewers and friends and other games was a little too much. It was unique enough and fun enough. I wonder how much of this came from my youth obsession with Star Wars and the fact I start 95% of my games on the hardest available difficulty when difficulty is offered?

Mr C

May 8, 2008
I didn't give a damn about Too Human, but the backlash in the reviews and from users who were looking forward to it made me curious.

I got it for less than $10 and thoroughly enjoyed most of it. Not the boss battles though, they suck.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
INB4 STAR WARS PREQUELS

Karma168 said:
The action scenes were passable, the CGI was ok (actually worked quite well for the suit in my opinion) Maybe I wasn't as invested as a GL fan would be but this film was at worst a typical action movie.
While both of those statements are true, they weren't the reasons people hated it.

The main problem was (like with most bad movies these days) in the writing. The whole movie was just trying to emulate the stereotypical "hero's journey" step by step thinking that it would be a good framing for the story. In short form, it isn't.

In long form...uh, I don't feel like typing up my own essay, so I'll just give you one written by a guy named Film Crit Hulk and maybe it'll shed some light on the matter:

http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/hulk-explains-why-we-should-stop-it-with-the-hero-journey-shit/

Yeah, it's long, but it's educational.

OT: Fast Five is a great guilty-pleasure action flick. Sure, it has a lot of the bullshit character conflicts (which would work if we knew or genuinely cared about the characters), but when you get the big screen action setpieces and cheesier dialogue scenes, it's pure, exciting, and well-shot (translation: the camera is kept smooth and steady for the most part and I have a pretty good idea of what exactly is happening) popcorn entertainment.

Also, Fast and Furious 6 is an improvement, but I didn't put that because it got a bit more respect for what it was.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ponyo, sure it wasn't the greatest nor was it the worse (nothing can beat Tales from Earthsea) granted this review I've read was very unproffesional.
The reviewer make it as if she never seen a Studio Ghibli film before because she found the film to be unrealistic (ok I admit that seen with the people on the boat to be odd as they are rather cheery for having their town flooded) and she wasn't convince that the main character is suppose to be the chosen one. Sure I do kind of agreed from a logical standpoint but come on! It's a Studio Ghibli film so it not exactly hard to belived!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Ponyo

It's a bit of an odd duck, but I never really understood why this was so generally hated. I found it a fun little movie despite being slightly weird around the edges.
Same. Though I was still a bit disappointed by it (mainly because so many other Miyazaki movies are so amazing), it was a good fun movie. And certainly nothing to hate. I enjoy it more every time I watch it.

Also: Final Fantasy XIII. It was very slow to get going, but it had fun, solid action and the story developed fairly well. Pretty sure most of the hate was aimed at the first few hours (not without cause, I'll admit). Maybe I should stop listening to the opinions of people who liked FFVII where the newer games are concerned, I loved X and XII as well. :)

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Some say I have terrible taste in horror movies, some say I'm a sadomasochist, some suspect I'm just high when I watch them.

Games:
*Bubsy Bobcat 2.
*Serious Sam 2.
*Fable: The Lost Chapters.

All of these got below 7/10 on imdb.
----------------------------------------
*Cabin Fever.
*Hostel 2.
*Redneck Zombies.
*Day of the Dead 2: Contagion.
*The first 4 Carebear movies.
*Child's Play: Bride of Chucky & Seed of Chucky.
*ALL of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.
*ALL of the Tremors movies.
*Shock! Shock! Shock!
*Trail of the Screaming Foreheads.
*Burton's Alice & Wonka movies.
*The Story of Ricky.
*Poltryguist, pretty much anything by Troma.
*Street Fighter the movie.
*Mortal Kombat the movie.
*Day of the Dead remake.
*Dead Like Me.
*The Cell & The Fall (2 movies, 1 director).
*Neco z Alenky.
*Pulse (1988).
*Idle Hands (1999).
*Infection (aka Kansen).
*House on Haunted Hill remake.
*Ghost Ship.
*Carriers.
*Marry Reilly.
*Heart & Souls.
*Maid to Order.
*Death Becomes Her.
*Sing.
*Legend (1985).
*Morons from Outer Space.
*Photon: The Idiot Adventures (dubb for maximum hilarity).
*Macross Plus.
*Diatron 5.
*Space Thunder Kids.
*Mad Bull 34. (As a woman I should hate it, but it's too stupid to take seriously or find offensive).

SilentFlames26

Sep 9, 2011
Azaraxzealot said:
Fable 3 and Crackdown 2. I have no CLUE as to why people hate them. Youd think no one ACTUALLY played the games or they're spoiled by good games so much that they honestly can not tell what a bad game is anymore, so any game that even comes in a smidgen too low of their expectations is automatically the most horrible thing ever. And judging from Disqus comments, they upvote anyone who says either one sucked.
Wait, people didn't like these games? Admittedly I haven't really read any reviews of either of them and picked them up on an impulse, but I enjoyed them both. Sure Fable wasn't perfect, but I thought it was a pretty solid game especially when comparing it to its needlessly complicated predecessor. Crackdown was also great fun, not a huge step up from the previous game, but it didn't really need to go anywhere, it was stupid and a great laugh

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
People often look at me weirdly because I enjoy Call of Duty for the single player aspect, although I wouldn't say that's universally panned, merely just much maligned.

I actually really like Star Trek: The Motion Picture, sure it's over blown, incredibly slow and ham fisted as a meditation on what it is to be human, but I still find the morals and message to be compelling and seeing (fan spec rumour mongering admittedly) how Kirk was instrumental in creating the Borg is fascinating.

And now to be lynched, But the first few hours of Sim City 5 before the crippling water/traffic problems arise is actually pretty fun with friends, especially now there is a map where all cities are connected, not just a handful.

Clive Barkers Jericho was a fun albeit schlocky game, loved the aesthetic design of it too (well what you see outside of the WWII level).

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Bioshock 2 is a perfectly good game. Hell, it's even a perfectly good Bioshock game. It was inventive, it VASTLY improved on the gameplay of the original, and most importantly, it contained some legitimately emotional moments. Doesn't hold a candle to the other two games of course, but that doesn't make it bad.

Wdbisl

Nov 17, 2011
GundamSentinel said:
Casual Shinji said:
Ponyo

It's a bit of an odd duck, but I never really understood why this was so generally hated. I found it a fun little movie despite being slightly weird around the edges.
Same. Though I was still a bit disappointed by it (mainly because so many other Miyazaki movies are so amazing), it was a good fun movie. And certainly nothing to hate. I enjoy it more every time I watch it.

Also: Final Fantasy XIII. It was very slow to get going, but it had fun, solid action and the story developed fairly well. Pretty sure most of the hate was aimed at the first few hours (not without cause, I'll admit). Maybe I should stop listening to the opinions of people who liked FFVII where the newer games are concerned, I loved X and XII as well. :)
Here's the thing. I have multiple issues with final fantasy XIII. It's not just the first few hours. I have seen it beginning to end. I'm going to get the most obvious one out of the way, it was very linear with no really motivation to progress. That leads into the next problem it wouldn't be an issue if they had towns or distractions. FFX was just as linear, but had other stuff to do. With XIII you had barely any side quests except the cie'th stone missions. With FFX you had blitzball, extra aeons, chocobo racing, and lightening dodging. Going to move on to the next issue the story was not developed well. The characters motivations made no sense and you never really grew close to them. They were more stereotypes than actual characters. The story didn't like to explain anything and made you read data logs. Example they never say what exactly a fal'Cie is and let you figure it out for yourself. Also they never give any indication where any city is to another place like X did. You get no real world map. This is not good story telling. It also doesn't help that the game doesn't let you change characters until near the end of chapter 9. Good for you if you like it, but I have to say it's badly made. Btw I loved X and I thought XII was ok.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Lonewolfm16 said:
Dragon Age II. Yes it had its flaws, but once I got used to the lack of isometric camera options it was alright. Good enough. Not quite as good as origins but a pretty solid game as a whole. Yet its near universally hated.
I pretty much agree.
What I also liked about this game is a story. Bioware finally tried to do something besides "You are the chosen one" plot. Sure, it lacked polish and Anders killing the only priestess that was sicerely trying to help the mages simply reeks of plot device, but it wasn't bad at all.

Also, I liked the combat, a lot. The combat of Origins was meant to be "tactical", but I ended up with creating realy nice macroes for team members and pretty much going bat-sh*t crazy myself with skills (on a Hard difficulty). Plus it was oh so tedious. I really dislike combat that is feels like a bastard child of Turn-based and action combat systems. But 2 meter long swords of DAII are a bit of an overkill too. I hope they'll find a good middle ground in part 3.

As for my own example (in "not as good" category): Captain America movie. I've read many positive thoughts about it, but I kind of failed to grasp it's appeal. Guy in red-white-blue suit sneaking in the military and not being noticed? Yeah, sure.
But I am not an American, so maybe thats the case here...

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
It was pretty much panned by critics and fans alike, but I quite liked the Constantine movie. I especially liked the depiction of Hell.

Also, I would never claim that they were great works of literature and if you ignore the anti feminist message and the sparkling in the sunlight. I found the Twilight books quite readable.

*hands in man card as well as genitals*

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Karma168 said:
For me a good example is the Green Lantern movie. Wasn't that fussed about seeing it anyway - was a dvd movie, not a cinema movie - but after watching the MovieBob review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3557-Green-Lantern] and all the other threads/posts about how god awful the film was I decided it wasn't even worth the dvd.

The other day it was on a movies channel and I decided what the hell; watched it and all I could think at the end was "meh". Don't get me wrong this movie is not 'great', and nowhere near the quality of the Marvel movies, but it's not the steaming turd people had made it out to be. The action scenes were passable, the CGI was ok (actually worked quite well for the suit in my opinion) and the story, while not Iron Man quality, did the job. Maybe I wasn't as invested as a GL fan would be but this film was at worst a typical action movie.

yea as a GL fan i couldn't agree with bob more on that one I'm afraid. cant stand that movie.

on the other hand die hard 5 wasnt THAT bad. never expected it to be as good as the first 3.

Wdbisl

Nov 17, 2011
Catfood220 said:
It was pretty much panned by critics and fans alike, but I quite liked the Constantine movie. I especially liked the depiction of Hell.

Also, I would never claim that they were great works of literature and if you ignore the anti feminist message and the sparkling in the sunlight. I found the Twilight books quite readable.

*hands in man card as well as genitals*
There really no worse than any other teen romance. I read all the books in my high school years. It wasn't until people started pointing out all the anti feminist messages that it started to bother me. If you look at it realistically though so many teen media does the whole overprotective mystical boyfriend thing. I mean it's been in shoujo manga forever. Twilight in general is more like a lighter romance novel. Sorry dude not meaning to insult you by saying that, but it is. I enjoyed them while reading, but I'm not sure looking at it now if it deserved the hype. When I first read it I really didn't think to deeply of it. I enjoyed them originally, but I really don't think about them now. I believe they will eventually be forgotten with the passage of time.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
You should never take a reviewer's opinion as gospel. I like Moviebob's reviews and feel he often has interesting things to say about films but I surely do NOT always agree with his conclusions. If you are excited for a movie go see it! Worst case scenario you are out the cost of a movie ticket. Go see the matinee if you think it is not going to be great.

Case in point for me was World War Z. I loved the book but had lots of doubt about the movie especially after reading about the troubled production. Of course I still saw it and thought it was a failure but I am glad I went. A movie typically has to be very bad to not give you some entertainment for an hour and a half.

Last but not least we also should not forget that reviewers watch TONS of movies. They get kind of jaded and so tend to judge films much more harshly than the average movie going public. That is why World War Z is also on track to be Brad Pitts' most financially successful movie.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Final Fantasy XIII is one of my favourite games of this generation. I think I'm mentally unwell.
Okay yes, the game was super long and probably didn't need to be, but a lot of people's complaints seemed to be not wanting to trudge their way through the rubbish part to get to the good part. When I started playing, I never felt it was that bad. I didn't even know until I read about it on forums and such that the game felt divided into a good and bad half by a lot of people, I thought it was just pretty good all the way through.
And I really liked the ending. Hence why I never played XIII-2 because the entire premise of that game's story was that the ending to the first one never happened.

Regardless I thought Sazh alone would have bumped up everyone's view of the game. If he'd actually had a part in XIII-2 rather than being tacked on in some irrelevant DLC, I might have given it a chance.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
When it comes to films, The Room is probably the only movie that doesn't involve The Punisher or Super-Heroes in general that I've watched multiple times...Granted, only one of those times were outside of a theater setting and that one time I was watching a Riff-Trax voice over.

Other films that I like despite critical/public opinion:

Batman & Robin
Batman Forever
Fantastic Four
Spider-Man 3
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

I'm assuming people dislike Little Nicky based on it being an Adam Sandler movie and that is probably my favorite of his movies.

When it comes to games:

The Simpson's Road Rage
The Simpson's Video Game (...on the X360/PS3...)
Sonic 06

...thought there would be more overall...I can't think of any anime, comics or, manga that I like off the top of my head that I like that nobody else does. I seem to be the only person who knows about Detroit Metal City (think Metalocalypse if it was an anime and, down-to-Earth)