It wasn't THAT bad!

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
Mass Effect 3. In my own opinion, it nearly was the best game in the series for me, but that ending just brought it way down. Not to mention side quests weren't handled in the best way either and JAVIK SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN A DLC CHARACTER AS HE SEEMED VITAL TO THE GAME'S PLOT. Other than that I really enjoyed a lot of the character moments in the game and really enjoyed the newcomers like James, Javik, Cortez, and Traynor.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I guess for me it would be Dragon Age II. Although critics generally praised it when it came out, including the Escapist - it's ok, we'll chalk it up as a bad day - most of the Internet hates it at this point. I have to disagree. It fell woefully short in some areas, and ruined my favourite character from DA:O (Anders), but it had some good points.

I thought they did an OK job with Hawke, and really liked Varrick, to the point where he's probably my favourite character across the series. Also really liked the Qunari. And the combat system, although arguably dumbed down, was actually decent. Just a shame about enemy waves.

So yeah, not great, but not THAT bad.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
April Hannah said:
GundamSentinel said:
Also: Final Fantasy XIII. It was very slow to get going, but it had fun, solid action and the story developed fairly well. Pretty sure most of the hate was aimed at the first few hours (not without cause, I'll admit). Maybe I should stop listening to the opinions of people who liked FFVII where the newer games are concerned, I loved X and XII as well. :)
Here's the thing. I have multiple issues with final fantasy XIII. It's not just the first few hours. I have seen it beginning to end. I'm going to get the most obvious one out of the way, it was very linear with no really motivation to progress. That leads into the next problem it wouldn't be an issue if they had towns or distractions.
True, very true. The only motivation anyone would have in FFXIII was the story, and if you don't like that, you're pretty much done. The world only opens up after you're a loooong way in, so waiting for that is a no-no for people not into the story. I too missed towns in FFXIII, though it did make sense as everyone on Cocoon hates your guts and everyone on Pulse is long dead and gone. :)

FFX was just as linear, but had other stuff to do. With XIII you had barely any side quests except the cie'th stone missions. With FFX you had blitzball, extra aeons, chocobo racing, and lightening dodging.
Those were pretty awful across the board, though. Just saying. ^^;

Going to move on to the next issue the story was not developed well. The characters motivations made no sense and you never really grew close to them. They were more stereotypes than actual characters.
I don't entirely agree, but I can see where you're coming from. They certainly weren't normal people with normal motivations.

The story didn't like to explain anything and made you read data logs. Example they never say what exactly a fal'Cie is and let you figure it out for yourself. Also they never give any indication where any city is to another place like X did. You get no real world map.
Agreed. Could use a lot more work.

This is not good story telling.
Yet Demon's Souls/Dark Souls does the same and gets away with it. Personally, I like a game not explaining everything in senseless exposition, though I will agree FFXIII could have done better. Mainly because a lot of the story is (in very Japanese style) senseless exposition with very little being actually explained. If you're going about shouting Fal'cie a million times, at least tell me what it is. Dark Souls had the good sense to shut up.

It also doesn't help that the game doesn't let you change characters until near the end of chapter 9.
Part of the storytelling, but I can see why people dislike it.

Good for you if you like it, but I have to say it's badly made. Btw I loved X and I thought XII was ok.
While unlike you I liked it, like you I will say that it wasn't a good game that made some poor design choices. Just not as awful as people make it out to be. :)

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Harry Potter. I mean, i dont love it but I still can understand that it is an amazing movie

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Saw the Lone Ranger last friday, loved it. It was fun and the big showdown at the end was exciting. And Tonto was by far the most interesting character, even if people call him racist.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
This is regarding MovieBob and pretty much only him, but Amazing Spider-Man. Honestly, I thought that the only Raimi film that was better than it was 2, but he acts like it killed his family.

Oh, and Man of Steel was a really fun movie for me.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Tono Makt said:
Sucker Punch.

Yes, that movie. That hated, pilloried, reviled movie by Zach Snyder. With the girls in skimpy clothing fighting like ninja's, and trying to call it "Empowerment".

It wasn't that bad.
Apparently I'm just totally asexual, because I watched it, thought the story was overdone, the action was excellent and the music was awesome, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. And then I read reviews that said it was terrible because the girls were underdressed, something that I hadn't even noticed. At all. For all I remember, they could have been in burkhas.
that's the thing I don't get
it sets itself as a fantasy really, really heavily, and not even on the women's clothing point
hell it'd be weird if they were fully clothed as "normal people" (by this I mean, regular casual clothing, not shit like schoolgirl outfits and the like) when they're doing stuff like fighting minigun wielding giant samurai, or piloting bunny-faced mechs in WW2

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
When it comes to games:

The Simpson's Road Rage
The Simpson's Video Game (...on the X360/PS3...)
Simpsons Road Rage was basicly Simpsons Crazy Taxi so I think that most people didnt like it as it smelled like rip-off, I liked it as it gave me a chance to drive around Springfield, I think the city layout there is a bit better then the Simpsons Hit & Run version.

The other Simpsons game I had the idea that it had been well received.

OT: Saints Row 3: Saints Row 1 was its own thing, Saints Row 2 was another thing and Saints Row 3 was even another, Saints Row 4 is going to go and do its own thing again by being a super-hero sci-fi game. I really cant blame them, each game is its own thing and it kind of makes sence that you cant have a fan that will love all of them, he will love one a lot more then the other ones because of personal taste but the others are still fun to enjoy (and hey, at least they dont just stick with the same until it stops selling).

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
This is why I can't watch MovieBob reviews anymore. If you don't like a movie, cool, got it, you're a critic, I'm here to listen to YOUR opinion of it, but so many of his reviews reek of a "I hated it, and if you like it you're a moron and/or terrible human being" attitude (see his review of "Fast Five" for a good example).
I don't get that from him. His anger never seems to be directed at people for liking things... (okay, maybe except Expendables) but at the studios for making them. He's offended when studios take hold of something he cares about, do a big steaming dump on it and release it to the world.

With Green Lantern, for example, I think he was particularly upset because unlike, say, Batman, GL is fairly unknown in the wider world. So for most people, that movie was their introduction to the whole GL canon. And if it sucks, then their impression will not be 'Wow, Warner Bros really didn't do this character justice', it'll be 'Wow, this character is stupid'.

Obviously I'm putting my own interpretation on Bob's stuff - and I have no opinion of GL either as a movie or as a comic as I have no experience of either - but that attitude makes some sense to me. I certainly feel that way when I meet younger people whose first impression of Star Wars was the prequels. And I felt it when I watched 'The Dark is Rising'. And I'm expecting to feel it if I ever grit my teeth enough to watch Ender's Game. A bad movie is one thing, but a bad adaptation can really hurt.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
-Ezio- said:
Karma168 said:
on the other hand die hard 5 wasnt THAT bad. never expected it to be as good as the first 3.
I just watched DH2 for the first time in years the other day. Holy shit it was bad. The first one was such an amazing film, so well plotted and paced, using the location brilliantly, with snappy dialogue and great characters. The second was just embarrassing.

I have to watch the third one again now - I vaguely remember it was better.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
Yahtzee has put me off of a lot of games in the past, and when I went to try them, I thought "Wow, this is actually pretty fun." Shadows of the Damned, Darksiders, Bayonetta, Dead Space, Bulletstorm, and Killzone 2 & 3 are some of them.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll go with the Star Wars prequels. I don't think the film critics hated it as much as the fans, but I've gotten plenty of enjoyment from the trilogy. I still prefer the first trilogy, but that doesn't mean the new ones can't be good or at least interesting in any way.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Lonewolfm16 said:
Dragon Age II. Yes it had its flaws, but once I got used to the lack of isometric camera options it was alright. Good enough. Not quite as good as origins but a pretty solid game as a whole. Yet its near universally hated.
Yeah, this for me as well.

Although I can definitely see how it could have been so much better with more polish.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
For me it's unsurprisingly most of the things that get caught in the Internet avalanche of hate. You know, last two Matrix movies, Spider Man 3, Star Wars Prequels, Transformers, I'm sure I'd have the same reaction to a dozen other movies/games if I ever got around to seeing them.

The Internet has this habit of going to extremes with it's criticism. It seems hard to find a middle ground between brilliant and terrible, and it's even harder to lean towards one or the other without going all the way to the extreme.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
AD-Stu said:
Harry Potter was probably my biggest about face - not because the reviews and opinions I'd heard of it were bad per se (quite the contrary), but everything I'd heard about it had convinced me it wasn't something I'd be interested in.

Oops. Started reading the books just to kill some time about the time that Half Blood Prince was released and by the time I'd caught up I was as champing at the bit for Deathly Hallows as any other fan of the series. I think we even ended up with two copies of the final book, because the copy we ordered online hadn't arrived before we were due to get on a plane for a week's holiday, and I didn't want to wait that long to read it so I picked up another copy at the airport :p
I had pretty much the same experience with Potter. I kind of dismissed them as children's books. Then my boss' boss at the time (who like me is a Terry Pratchett fan) said I would like them. I started with book 4 (because I had seen the first 3 movies; dumb right?) and promptly read the rest of them. The good part is, I only had to wait for book 7.

I find I feel this way mostly about movie sequels. How was the last Indiana Jones movie so different than the formula everyone seemed to love from the others. Sure it wasn't as good but you had to know it wasn't going to be AS good.

What really surprised me is the venom about Transformers 3. Sure the story is pretty lame but I just wanted to see giant robots battling it out and I got that. I don't know what people were expecting. It's Michael Bay, you're going to get explosions mixed with perfume ads. You should be used to that by now.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
likalaruku said:
*Space Thunder Kids
You have to at least recognize that it's a bad film though. I saw it and laughed, enjoyed it with a few friends, but wow, it's a bad one.

OT: Dead Island. I feel people are kinda split on this one, but for as dull and samey and bland as people say, I enjoyed it. Hell, enjoyed it enough to 1000 point it.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
The biggest one would probably be Bioshock 2.

In particular, I remember seeing Yahtzee's video about it and reading so many people say how bad it was. I decided to try it anyway and found it to be quite good. Not perfect, but still a good game.

Speaking of Yahtzee's Bioshock 2 video:
I realize that his videos "exaggerate for effect" to make videos amusing, but the sheer disconnect he seemed to have, at least based on my experience, doesn't make any sense. He entirely ignored how the Delta series were test subjects for plasmids before they became Big Daddies, which is why they can use them and also why they were more "human" than the later Big Daddies. Actually, he seemed to ignore the story a lot, like how the game clearly explained why Eleanor can communicate with you.

His complaints about difficulty also puzzled me. While I'm not the best Bioshock 2 player ever, the only times I had a significant amount of trouble was the first level the first time I played and if I did something really stupid. The only conclusion I can come to is that he was playing on the highest difficulty and if someone is complaining about difficulty when they are playing the hardest mode of a game, I have very little sympathy.

Additionally, is it really a surprise that when your main method of attack involve throwing enemies at each other, that when you fight something that feasts on those enemies, you will have a lot of trouble?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Remember Me: It wasn't THAT bad, guys. I'm surprised how much mixed to negative opinions I see of this game (and yes I'm aware I've brought this up before on different thread several times), but most of it really comes down to "I liked it's uniqueness, but it doesn't handle it well". I thought it did handle it's uniqueness very well and to be honest as fun as the memory changing mechanic is, it doesn't bother me that you only use it four times. I also found it's God Hand esque combat system to be very entertaining and even if you stack healing buffs on your combos you'll still going to lose health fast because balancing them as well as dodging attacks isn't the easiest thing in the world.

Silent Hill: Downpour: I see opinions vary on Downpour, but it's usually negative with it's only positive quality being that it's better than Homecoming. Yes it was pretty stupid that the ending changed Murphy's bad deed and the loading screens did drag on a bit, but over all the characters were well done (excluding Mr. Blackwood), served the plot which was incredibly interesting, the atmosphere was brilliant and... controversial opinion... I think Downpour handled it's monsters MUCH better than the original four Silent Hills. Their designs were awful (what just humans with messed up faces?) but the slow nature of their spawn rate was a much more welcome bonus to say Silent Hill 2's monster pile up on the streets.

Silent Hill Movie: It wasn't true to the original game, and little things like changing the Order into witch hunters and the... appearence of Pyramid Head and the Nurses were indeed stupid and done for either the producer or the fan's sake. However as a film it was a nice experience with amazing visuals, a decent protagonist and cast of characters (besides Chris, obviously) and it's plot was nice enough. I'm also aware that this film RUINED the Otherworld (every Silent Hill game after this film came out uses the same transitions). I'd even rewatch it.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Robot Number V said:
Bioshock 2 is a perfectly good game. Hell, it's even a perfectly good Bioshock game. It was inventive, it VASTLY improved on the gameplay of the original, and most importantly, it contained some legitimately emotional moments. Doesn't hold a candle to the other two games of course, but that doesn't make it bad.
Yes, I totally agree, but I enjoyed Infinite less as a story...Bioshock 2, you know what happened, Bioshock Infinite, they tried too hard to blow our minds again so most people wound up a bit confused by the clunky delivery.

Oh, my, an angry mob. Well, I'll continue my post as I run away from it, I suppose.

Well, I really enjoy The Langoliers, it's over the top to an enjoyable extent and the toothy monsters are pretty cool! I'm a fan of bizarre payoffs, and while a lot of the characters are very generic, that just makes the movie more fun.

Killing Floor is underrated. Metascore on steam 72/100, srsly? I'd say 85/100. Minimum. 90/100 maximum. The game has definitely gotten a lot better, at least.