"It's Not Like I Reich You Or Anything"

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
Now THAT is just fucked up. Do people in those countries actively praise the Nazis because of Israel and its stubborn refusal to stop existing? Jaysus, and people think I'm crazy for my theory about Nazi influence on Islamic terrorists.
Well it's not the official doctrine of the governments of the Arab countries but it's very much the "man on the street" opinion. Some of my teachers even had rather inaccurate views of WWII and Holocaust. As far as history is concerned the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Haj Amin al-Husseini, the original resister of a two state solution to Israel/Palestine problem, was a close personal friend of Hitler. He in fact stayed as Hitler's guest when the political situation in Palestine forced him to leave. It has been speculated that al-Husseini was one of the architects of the Holocaust and this his dealings with Hitler and his inner circle emboldened and cemented Germany's policies. At the very least he was implicitly aware of the plight of the Jews in Germany and positively endorsed it. It's not an Islamic thing really, though there is definitely tension in some of the more conservative Islamic currents because of the Prophet's negative dealings with the Jews of Banu Qurayza: most of the problem is political. It's not Muslims vs Jews so much as Arabs vs Israelis.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Kalezian said:
Zombie Badger said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
But then again, Americans have been re-enacting the Civil War since about two weeks after the last shots were fired, so who am I to judge?
Hell, many Americans glorify the side that fought for the right to own black people and hang their flag outside their houses.

....... okay, let me break it down for you.

The Civil War was not about the right of slavery.

Slavery was a side effect of the reasons of the American Civil War. The reason it was fought was because the Confederates believed the federal government did not have the right to press federal laws onto the states.

this still happens as well. look at any 'groundbreaking' law passed in the last 20 or 30 years and how many states file suit against the federal government in order to block various laws such as the Affordable Healthcare act and the various Defense of Marriage act laws that were passed since it's creation.

The main difference though is the confederates during the civil war actually stood up for what they believed was right instead of sitting on their couch being angry at nothing and not having the balls to actually fight for it.
Aside from the states seceding citing slavery as the reason why they were breaking off from the union, historian David Goldfield can tell you that "both Northerners and Southerners recognized that slavery was the immediate cause of the civil war." If it really was about states' rights, it would have happened a long time ago, too, particularly during the Jackson administration. Romanticizing the civil war as anything but being over one of the worst offenses of human history is a ridiculous myth.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Well, didn't take long for this thread to devolve into an argument over the American Civil War.

In all seriousness, name ONE nation, tribe, ethnic group etc whose history is all sunshine and rainbows. Just one.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
History written by people who weren't even born yet and the dead can't have editorial rights.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Robyrt said:
It's not enough to kill a lot of people and look cool. You also need to be cooler than your opponents. This is why Egypt stopped being cool as soon as the Romans arrived, and anyone from the Middle East or Central Asia is never cool. Mongols, Ottomans, Persians - all had the bad fortune to be matched up against "good guy" Europeans.
Pffft. The Mongols were WAY cooler than the Europeans. It has nothing to do with how cool they were in comparison to Europe, they just had their empire fall apart and eaten by other nations.
That happened to *all* of them... unless you think the Roman empire is still running the Mediterranean?

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
You gotta admit that Nazis had a good fashion sense. The SS uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Zombie Badger said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
But then again, Americans have been re-enacting the Civil War since about two weeks after the last shots were fired, so who am I to judge?
Hell, many Americans glorify the side that fought for the right to own black people and hang their flag outside their houses.
Hey, only the part of the country that the rest of us are embarrassed about does that.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Ishigami said:
You know what is weird too? - That Hitler and the Nazis are the biggest monsters of mankind when it comes to this even though Mao Zedong or Stalin and the Communists killed way more people?
Hitler created a totalitarian nightmare in the middle of a previously stabilizing, liberalizing, and rich Europe.

Russia and China were the kind of places where a non-negligable amount of those millions would have died anyways in the famines, tyrannies, rebellions, that were expected with these region anyways.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Requia said:
lacktheknack said:
Robyrt said:
It's not enough to kill a lot of people and look cool. You also need to be cooler than your opponents. This is why Egypt stopped being cool as soon as the Romans arrived, and anyone from the Middle East or Central Asia is never cool. Mongols, Ottomans, Persians - all had the bad fortune to be matched up against "good guy" Europeans.
Pffft. The Mongols were WAY cooler than the Europeans. It has nothing to do with how cool they were in comparison to Europe, they just had their empire fall apart and eaten by other nations.
That happened to *all* of them... unless you think the Roman empire is still running the Mediterranean?
Well, obviously! They're backed by the Illuminati! I HAVE PROOF

The Roman Empire isn't actually romanticized as much as more recent empires. I mean, have you seen some of the stuff based on the history of North America? Pocahontas and things like that?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
That linked article just makes me angry and want to bash someone's head in with a steel pipe. Ignorant, stupid, gullible fucking teenagers are the root of all evil. Someone really ought to barge into that cafe and show off a little presentation of what the nazis actually did, with all the nice Josef Mengele stuff attached. Or we should get back at them in equal measure. How about a Pol Pot themed internet cafe (yeah, he was Vietnamese, but you know what I'm talking about).

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
The Sun cross/swastika, toothbrush mustache and the name "Adolph" are but few of the things that Hitler ruined by having Westerners permanently associate them with pure evil.

There are people who get very upset with any form of referencing to Nazism. Hell, I remember someone blowing a lit, when he saw people dressed like Germany [http://hetalia.kitawiki.net/index.php?title=Germany], from the Hetalia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetalia:_Axis_Powers] Anime/Manga but it does raise some questions.

Westerners are afraid of glorifying anything associated with Nazism because they don't want to promote their ideologies. But when another group, that's largely unaware of said ideologies and sensitive history associated with genocides and ethnic cleansing, starts parodying stuff like Nazi fashion and hilariously strict mannerisms, when is it crossing a line? This is doubly true when said parodies start crossing over to Western media.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Robo-Erin for the win. Or perhaps, that's what she always was, and we know to much now?

I guess it depends on what's going on exactly. If they are just wearing uniforms because they think it looks good, and don't believe in the stuff that it represented, that's one thing. If they are actively trying to push the Nazi "agenda" and believe that they were in the right, then that is a problem. I think it can be like the confederate flag to a degree. If you have it as a decoration, especially just to show different things of history, then that shouldn't be a problem. If you are raising the flag and saying that Confederate America needs to return, as well as spouting of why they were in the right, then that's not good. To a certain degree, I think something like the Nazi's themselves should be allowed to be humorized, but the actual terrible things should not.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So is she a member of the FGDS (Fan Girl Defense Squad)?

I'm pretty sure there's a trope that describes romanticizing and fetishizing evil characters.

Naturally Sound

Jul 30, 2014
lacktheknack said:
Requia said:
lacktheknack said:
Robyrt said:
Well, obviously! They're backed by the Illuminati! I HAVE PROOF

The Roman Empire isn't actually romanticized as much as more recent empires. I mean, have you seen some of the stuff based on the history of North America? Pocahontas and things like that?
Thank goodness the America colonization and the near mass genocide of the Native Americans isn't romanticized yet. But as other posters pointed out, Japan will likely get to it first without knowing/acknowledging how terrible such events were.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
8bitOwl said:
I'm pretty sure the very first dating sym I have ever played in my entire life was pretty much set in a Nazi prisoner camp even though it wasn't set in a Nazi prisoner camp.

I'm talking about "Enzai":

So I don't think we need the distant future. Nevermind tho, because that cyborgerin is cute.

And on a side note... the Romans were pederasts? Weren't they the Greek - and wasn't it consensual?
Calling Enzai a dating sim is...uhh...I'm not sure how to say it other than wrong. Like, completely horribly completely wrong. Like, your character just got raped wrong.

On topic!

Seriously, robo-erin is adorable.

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
I'm going to chalk up Nazi Sterilization to the Cold War: The Nazis fought the Communists, lots of ex-Waffen SS found a new home in the French Foreign Legion (allowing them to tell stories to their comrades) and lots of ex-Wehrmacht troops and in some cases equipment were the founding basis of the Bundeswehr, and they later retired and told their stories in memoires. Because of the "common foe" at the time of the Soviet Union, it was the perfect opportunity to paint themselves in a good light while showing just how "monsterous" the Soviets were.

There's actually a term that's spun for this from the World of Tanks North American Historical Armored Vehicles forum - "Wehraboo", with similar meanings and intended canotations as Weeaboo, just with a different target and SPECIFIC to World War II.

(It also expands onto a number of related ideas - including the depiction of German tanks as invincible, the Wehrmacht as clean-handed, and taking kill claims at face value when in reality none of that was true.)

Nazi Whitewashing and thus romanticism happened because a bunch of Ostheer Veterans told half of their stories to Western audiences that were already predisposed to hate the Soviet Union. For the most part, the existence of such whitewashing in ex-Soviet bloc nations is mostly due to the Soviets having been the "Big Evil" for a much longer period of time, and in some places they even cooperated with the Nazis, thus allowing them to paint a prettier picture of themselves.

They were evil but they had a comparatively good PR campaign when you compare their crimes to the Soviet Union's.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
momijirabbit said:
Future Erin is the most Kawaii thing I have ever seen.
Won't be long now until Hitler is referred to as "Tragically Misunderstood"

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Nurb said:
So is she a member of the FGDS (Fan Girl Defense Squad)?

I'm pretty sure there's a trope that describes romanticizing and fetishizing evil characters.
I believe that's the "Draco in Leather Pants" trope.

*Captcha: can I love? Uh-oh, Captcha seems to have attained sentience...