It's not THAT bad.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
My big ones-- the Star Wars prequels, and The Matrix sequels-- have already been mentioned.

Also, Heavy Rain, which was a fun game, and The Dark Knight Strikes Again, which (while clearly not as good as its predecessor) was still great. The Dick Grayson bit was shite, but the rest was good.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
The Matrix: Reloaded is my personal favorite of the trilogy with Revolutions still holding up decently.

I loved the hell out of Tron: Legacy.

Van Helsing is among my favorite Hugh Jackman roles.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is one of my favorite movies, and what I personally consider some of Sean Connery's best work.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Alien Ressurection: won't top the first 2 movies, but atleast it was a huge improvement on the third one, which I just can't bring up to watch again (minus one particular scene).

Matrix Revolution: I'd say it is almost as good as the first movie, and it has some of my favorite moments in the whole triology. Reloaded was meh however.

Keep in mind, I consider these good if not great movies, so they might not completely fit the bill on what the OP ment..

Xeros said:
Van Helsing is among my favorite Hugh Jackman roles.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is one of my favorite movies, and what I personally consider some of Sean Connery's best work.
These aswell. Won't call League a favorite, but the movie is nowhere as bad as people make it out to be.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Happyninja42 said:
Spirits Within at least had a comprehensible plot, unlike most of the games, and it didn't involve a "I will save the world by destroying it to end all pain!! MMMUAHAHAHA I'M NOT EVIL!!" type badguy.
Or my favorite "I'm sad that my girlfriend keeps dying when someone messes with the future(by changing the present). I'm gonna mess up time myself, crash the universe and kill everything in existence in order to fix this problem". I'm sure that sounded more sane in his mind then it does to everyone else.
Not sure which FF game that is, but it sounds pretty typical for that series, meaning batshit crazy. xD

May 26, 2010
The Thief reboot.

I was honestly unprepared for the amount of vitriol I've seen levelled at that game, from people I'm quite sure have not recently played Thief: The Dark Project (which is itself not a bad game or undeserving of its landmark status but has aged very very badly). I honestly didn't see much wrong with the reboot. The open world was decent, if irritating to navigate occasionally. The voice acting was good and in the case of the mook banter I thought the logical progression of the style of such found in the original game.

Of course it's possible that some truly heinous crimes against the series lay at some point more than three hours in that I didn't see because if there's one legitimate criticism of the game I will stand by it's that it runs like arse.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
[Kira Must Die said:
]A few anime. Sword Art Online and Guilty Crown comes to mind in particular.

I actually like SAO, and Guilty Crown I just found to be mediocre, with an ending that the more I think about, the crueler it gets.

Also, the Dance in the Vampire Bund anime, but I think that was because I never read the manga. I've also only seen it once and barely remember it, but I remember liking it okay. On that note, though, I loved the Flowers of Evil anime.

I'd also put RWBY up there. To me it's just a fun little web series, and I don't think it's trying to be more than that.
Haven't seen Guilty Crown, but I agree on the other two. SAO isn't that bad although I do hold a lot of irritation for the sheer amount of potential story that just wasn't followed up on. I also enjoy RWBY, it's dumb fun that occasionally throws in some good writing.

I am also going to throw in a couple of my own. Dragonball GT for one. It improved greatly once they got out of that awkward first half of the first arc where it was trying too hard to be Dragonball in space and missing the mark. FF 12 also wasn't that bad, yes the story was generic for a Final Fantasy game (and isn't that an odd sentence) and Vaan was not suited to being a MC but I still felt it was one of the most mechanically sound FF games out there. I also do not understand the majority of the hate leveled at X-2 since I felt it was a nice game even if X's story had been wrapped up already.

Happyninja42 said:
Dalisclock said:
Snip

Or my favorite "I'm sad that my girlfriend keeps dying when someone messes with the future(by changing the present). I'm gonna mess up time myself, crash the universe and kill everything in existence in order to fix this problem". I'm sure that sounded more sane in his mind then it does to everyone else.
Not sure which FF game that is, but it sounds pretty typical for that series, meaning batshit crazy. xD
I believe that is the plot in XIII-2 with its incomprehensible time travel plot that was resolved in the sequel by rebooting reality and turning it into rural England from what I saw of the ending scene on youtube.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Happyninja42 said:
Dalisclock said:
Happyninja42 said:
Spirits Within at least had a comprehensible plot, unlike most of the games, and it didn't involve a "I will save the world by destroying it to end all pain!! MMMUAHAHAHA I'M NOT EVIL!!" type badguy.
XIII-2. Which came across as Final Fantasy channeling an episode of Dr. Who. I liked the concept(I like the concept of all the XIII games) but the execution had a lot of problems. I realize that FF Villians trying to destroy the world is pretty standard but at least most of them had some kind of reason for it that kind of makes sense. Either because they were personifications of Hatred(IV), Death(IX?), Chaos(I) or Entropy(III,V), or because they're just batshit crazy/gripped by a nihilistic BSOD(VI,VII,VIII,IX).

It takes a special kind of Crazy to say "I want to save by GF from dying over and over again because her destiny demands it, for some messed up reason, so I'm gonna kill everyone in the universe as well. If the universe ends, she won't die anymore" and have it make sense even by Insane Troll Logic standards. I get that he feels terrible watching her die(Liam O'Brien doing his voice is inspired, because he always sounds like he's sad) but his solution doesn't actually fix anything, it just makes things a lot worse for everyone else.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The last third of Bravely Default. Yes, you have to repeat a few bosses. That's fine. They're fairly easy. You don't have to repeat the other bosses, but why wouldn't you? The different team ups between different optional bosses gave a series of varied and interesting challenges, and I looked forward to seeing what the next one would be.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Ishtar. It had some funny bits. I laughed. I still don't see what the big deal was.

Fangobra said:
The Thief reboot.

I was honestly unprepared for the amount of vitriol I've seen levelled at that game, from people I'm quite sure have not recently played Thief: The Dark Project (which is itself not a bad game or undeserving of its landmark status but has aged very very badly). I honestly didn't see much wrong with the reboot. The open world was decent, if irritating to navigate occasionally. The voice acting was good and in the case of the mook banter I thought the logical progression of the style of such found in the original game.

Of course it's possible that some truly heinous crimes against the series lay at some point more than three hours in that I didn't see because if there's one legitimate criticism of the game I will stand by it's that it runs like arse.
I may be able to handle this one. The stealth genre is very niche and has very specific elements. Thief Reloaded is not in the stealth genre, it's a magical ninja superhero game. They made a freaking thief game and it's not stealth. I'm still mad.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
Hm...Legend of the Seeker. If you like fantasy stuff it is a good fix for two seasons and would have managed a nice third one, I am sure. Everyone except me I tried to get into it stopped watching it for cheesyness-reasons, but I just like it. Nerdy, old mage, fancy warrior priestess, hunky chosen-guy with legendary sword...

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Star wars prequels. They sure weren't like the other ones, but they weren't awful movies.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Wait... there are people who didn't like Tom Baker as the Doctor?

Mind blown, internet- mind blown.

OT: Some folks have already mentioned Alien 3, and I agree- I thought it was a dark but exciting addition to the series. I still can't bring myself to tolerate Resurrection in any fashion, though.

Arrested Development Season 4 is the best example of Not That Bad to me. Was it as good as the original three seasons? Not really. But it did have the original three's sense of pace and attention to detail, and though some episodes were rather dull, there were several that had some funny moments.

Also, and this coming from a hetero male, I thought Tobias and Gob were not only really funny characters, but also rather nuanced in their sexual orientations- nothing was black and white, they had more to them than that, there was a fluidity to their development through the series- and this was perpetuated through from the first three seasons quite well, at least for Tobias. Ultimately their sexual orientations all took a backseat to their inherent selfishness. And stupidity.