It's official, Devil May Cry fans are the worst fans ever

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Sad thing is we just went through something like this with Ninja Gaiden 3. That game also tried to appeal to a mass market and completely fumbled the whole thing by ensuring that their theme was muddled, and that the gameplay felt tired and boring by, get this...Keeping Ryu's move set for the sword the same and removing every other weapon in the game! It is like dev teams don't look at what has happened to games that have tried to do what they are planning and failed to learn how not to fail.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
You think the DMC fanbase is bad? Remember when people were getting pissy about THE BUCKLES ON SONIC'S SHOES?

gamerguy20097

Jun 14, 2011
No the fanboys that seem to fester in kotaku and here occasionally that demonize nintendo for every single thing they do are the worst.
We won't buy a wiiu until we get an hd zelda.
we won't buy a wiiu because nintendo rehashes all their franchise. Hypocrites.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...So the best way to address some of the fan-base's overwrought hyperbole is to describe them with more overwrought hyperbole...? I'm sometimes amazed these things don't collapse into a kind of singularity where no one can be bothered to get out of bed to type because getting up is worse than being given a sexually transmitted disease by Stalin the day before your home is foreclosed.

(No offense intended, but... really? How exaggeratedly awful it is that certain people think something is exaggeratedly awful?)

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
xefaros said:
So the outcry is about gameplay mechanics?I thought it was about that cheesy teenager posing as the badass pizza loving dante because thats mostly the difference that i noticed,that and the lack of puzzles.

I dont remember DMC3 that well but i think it didnt have 1hit die mode and i think i spent more time finishing DmC than DMC3 and that seemed to me that added replayability and difficulty.The reward didnt seem bad to me,i kill demons what is more satisfying also they got those achievements thing intergrated.
Anyway i know DMC3 did it better but i am giving the benefit of the doubt because of the decent PC port
The new Dante is actually the least problem with the game, but many people love to wrongfully deflect critics with "You just don't like the hair"

Almost all DMC games actually have that difficulty, and some have an even harder version where the enemies have normal health and Dante is the only one who dies with one hit.

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty_Mode

Generally the difficulties in the earlier DMC games are much harder than in DmC and DMC3 was probably the hardest of all of them all.

If achievments are what you care about, the HD collection has them too.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
ShadowRatchet92 said:
Oh, and just because you didn't want a reboot is not a good enough reason either. If so, then we should go out and destroy every movie remake ever made because no one wanted a Remake of Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elms Street, and Total Recall.
I don't like this argument, because the most recent one, the one people grow up with is the one they'll remember. I'm not comfortable with the idea that 20 years from now if you tell someone you're a huge fan of Total Recall/Star Wars/whatever all people think of is the shitty ones

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Another reason why fans are upset is because Capcom has and will kill off unprofitable series while stonewalling any attempts at reviving an unprofitable series despite the "take our money Capcom". Look at Viewtiful Joe and Breath Of Fire and most importantly, Megaman who's 25th anniversary was marked by nothing more than vitriol.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
It was obviously a joke, but I have to admit, the amount of trolls on the internet is making the rest of us gamers look like a bunch of idiots.

I for one have been a devil may cry fan from the start, and I actually LIKED the reboot.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
*raises hand*

I'm a Devil May Cry fan, and you don't see me going around frothing at the mouth about this reboot. Sure, I don't really like it from what I've seen, but you know what I'm going to do about it? NOTHING. I will not buy the game, I will not play it; and it ends there.

Point being, generalizing fandoms over the psychotic few never ends well for anyone; be it people into ponies, painting themselves grey or anthropomorphic personifications of history.

All fandoms have light and dark sides to them; but only looking at one part of it will never be a good enough reason to judge the whole thing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Those 3 movies were bad .... really bad. Is it that bad in Hollywood that they can't think up anything new and have to keep remaking films that don't need to be remade?
well, whenever they do (like drag me to hell) everyone starts whining how "bad" it is and how "friday the 13th was much better on smaller budget" so the reaction, although unwanted, is understandable.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Strazdas said:
Rawne1980 said:
Those 3 movies were bad .... really bad. Is it that bad in Hollywood that they can't think up anything new and have to keep remaking films that don't need to be remade?
well, whenever they do (like drag me to hell) everyone starts whining how "bad" it is and how "friday the 13th was much better on smaller budget" so the reaction, although unwanted, is understandable.
The problem I have with film remakes is a lot of them don't "improve" on the originals.

Modernising is not improving.

Take Friday the 13th. It started in 1978 (according to some places it was to cash in on the success of Halloween) and ran from there making a total of (I think) 12 films.

Now we're at a stage where teen slasher style films have been done to death .... literally. They have been done that many times they are beyond predictable and a lot of people could probably tell you, from the start of the film, who's going to die, in what order and how.

There isn't much variation.

My problem with the new Friday the 13th wasn't that it was "ruining the original" (still makes me laugh when I see people say that. I have the originals in a nice box set and they aren't ruined by this) it's that it was yet another teen slasher flick that brought nothing new to a stale as fuck genre.

And there lies the problem with a lot of remakes. They bring nothing new and are, more often than not, stale and bland.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Strazdas said:
Rawne1980 said:
The problem I have with film remakes is a lot of them don't "improve" on the originals.

Modernising is not improving.

Take Friday the 13th. It started in 1978 (according to some places it was to cash in on the success of Halloween) and ran from there making a total of (I think) 12 films.

Now we're at a stage where teen slasher style films have been done to death .... literally. They have been done that many times they are beyond predictable and a lot of people could probably tell you, from the start of the film, who's going to die, in what order and how.

There isn't much variation.

My problem with the new Friday the 13th wasn't that it was "ruining the original" (still makes me laugh when I see people say that. I have the originals in a nice box set and they aren't ruined by this) it's that it was yet another teen slasher flick that brought nothing new to a stale as fuck genre.

And there lies the problem with a lot of remakes. They bring nothing new and are, more often than not, stale and bland.
Im not arguing that remakes are disliked, merely that they are the only ones profitable nowadays.
As for "ruining" aspect, well, when you talk with somone and say "Hey i liekd friday 13th" and he says he didnt and after arguing a bit we actually find out he does not even know the original existed....... that ruins the reputation of the whole series. and this person is not an exception. then again i probably saw more movies than moviebob (no offence bob).

Capcha: omnomnom
I see what you did there. i am going to make myself food now.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
It's just fanboys and fans, people.

Regardless of which group you belong to, everyone is going to have their own opinions of the game and they have the right to like or dislike it.

I'm not a die hard DMC fan, though I've played every game and liked a couple of them. When Dmc: Devil May Cry was announced, my initial response was that they made Dante into an angst, emo kid and therefore, the game play/story would suffer. After watching new trailers and learning that this was an alternate Dante and not a prequel/sequel to the original, I was willing to give it a shot and see what this Dante could do. A few months before release, I was becoming a believer that this game had potential and was unique while not being too different from its humble roots. After playing it, I absolutely love it and I want to buy.

The only gripe I have is that it plays better on the 360 than the PS3 (something I call Bayonetta Syndrome) and now I have to invest in a 360 in order to truly enjoy it.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Ahh the mantle has been passed. So it had been foretold.

From sonic fans... to WoW fans... to Nintendo fans... to CoD fans... To bioware fans...

now DMC fans...

Someone summon a scribe to document this in our sacred book, and let all remember this time.

SushiJaguar

Sep 12, 2010
Xefaros, you do realise that the original Devil May Cry had one-hit kills as /standard/ right? The chance of an enemy using them merely increased with the difficulty. I don't particularly recall any one hit kill modes in the other DMC games, though there is something to be said for the fact that DmC is a big fan of the artificial difficulty that is trending in gaming.

Case in point; having a one hit kill mode. Ninja Gaiden never needed a mode like that to be hard as balls, for example.

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
Every fanbase has its own load of hyper autists. The problem is not their worthless existance but people/threads/ideologies highlighting them.