It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
seditary said:
Always faithful to Liara.

In all playthroughs.

I tried to do an Ashley game with my first male Shepard but it felt so wrong I never finished the playthrough.
This was my experience exactly, Ashley's personality didn't appeal to me. Also the scene in Mass Effect 2 where they meet again made me extra glad for my decision.

"We saved the galaxy together but I won't give you 30 seconds to explain your current situation regardless of the fact you just saved my life... jerk." That attitude made me wish I made a certain different decision in ME1.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
thebobmaster said:
Liara made it clear during Lair of the Shadow Broker that she was cool with me getting my Shep on with Tali. If she has a problem now, she's a bit late to the party.
My thoughts on that particular scene went a little sinister. Imagine this scenario:

Liara naturally knows about quarian's weak immune system. Liara expects Tali to die as a result of her relationship with Shepard, she's right. Knowing Shepard (if Paragon) will blame himself, she conveniently (Shadow Broker intel rocks) shows up to "comfort" him in his time of weakness/grief. Shepard is now dependent on Liara on multiple levels, closing off all other potential romances. Gameplaywise, if Liara is not present in Shepard's squad he suffers a major accuracy loss. Depending on dialogue choices, you get a kick-in-the-balls ending with Liara pulling a Morinth on Shepard. Side effect of this is a giant boost in Liara's biotic powers with the added bonus of unfiltered knowledge on the Protheans Shepard got in ME1. Game ends with Liara using her boosted powers/new knowledge combined with her Shadow Broker assets to take over/control the galaxy in a similar way Aria controls Omega.

...... in retrospect, that would be an awesome ending!

Next up, Mass Effect spin off where you play as Liara on your conquest of the galaxy. Gameplay ad: Hire mercs and potentially Geth help you take over the Citadel!

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
wellllllllllll shit I've got a fuck load of ground to cover!!! I've never played an ME game but I've been wanting to get into the series for the longest time........I mean Jesus Christ the sheer number of possibilities for something like romance(not even counting all the other choices I'll have to make) both excites and upsets me immensely.....and thats ontop of a multitude of other games coming out!!!!

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
One of the things i worry about is running out of things to say to a character just because i don't want to romance them. I just hope they work on separate trees, one for romance and one for friendship/comrades sort of thing

PinochetIsMyBro

Aug 21, 2010
I was going to say(before the post got updated): REALLY?!

Because honestly they can't let my Kirk Shepard get hit on three separate times(Liara, girl detective, green asari) on Illium and then not let me follow up on all three!

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
lobster1077 said:
ImmortalDrifter said:
I don't understand, from a character standpoint, why Shepard would just turn homosexual all of a sudden. What, did seeing London getting nuked awaken your repressed sexuality?
I sense a strong mixture of fan service and whining.

Are you talking about what I said? I don't care for the romance plots at all, especially if there's more pressing matters to attend to. Like Earth being nuked at the start of the game.

And it is a valid point. The only homosexual inkling Shepard has had was if you romanced one of the Asari squad mates as a woman. Every other romantic subplot has been heterosexual. If you're gay, wouldn't you be gay at the start of the series? And since there's even achievements for having romance in both games, most people have had their character bumpin' uglies with the opposite sex.
There actually was a homosexual romance with Kaiden in the first game, albeit hidden in code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPMOlEfhWGE

Well, nobody actually got that ending, now did they?
It clarifies Sheppard's sexual orientations. Turns out his homosexuality was repressed, ie. hidden in code. Those programmers have a devious sense of humour, eh? Ah ho ho ho.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Ugg...

Putting aside the fact that Mass Effect 2 had at least one lesbian romance...

Is the lack of a gay option really that big a deal? It's not a big symbolic condemnation (Bioware's used 'em before and even if they hadn't, not everything is meant to be symbolic) and I'm rather sick of companies being flamed for it. Shepard works with a very small team. With the probable exception of the Asari, the most widespread sexuality is heterosexual. It is not at all surprising that things might work out that way. The odds are in favor of it. And even if it weren't, the romantic subplots were incredibly token anyway. That should be more annoying really.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
conmag9 said:
Ugg...

Putting aside the fact that Mass Effect 2 had at least one lesbian romance...

Is the lack of a gay option really that big a deal? It's not a big symbolic condemnation (Bioware's used 'em before and even if they hadn't, not everything is meant to be symbolic) and I'm rather sick of companies being flamed for it. Shepard works with a very small team. With the probable exception of the Asari, the most widespread sexuality is heterosexual. It is not at all surprising that things might work out that way. The odds are in favor of it. And even if it weren't, the romantic subplots were incredibly token anyway. That should be more annoying really.
(1) Complaining about Bioware not doing it is justified precisely because they've shown that they're willing to do it in the past.

(2) It's not a symbolic condemnation, but putting it in a few games and then refusing to put it in others where it makes just as much sense makes it feel like the original inclusion was purely symbolic. Hopefully it was actually because they recognise that players would enjoy the content.

(3) What was the lesbian option in ME2? ME1 had Liara, but I can't think of who it was in ME2 (the "not female" argument about Liara is pretty dumb given that while they aren't female sex, Asari are certainly female gendered from what we've seen).

(4) You're basing this off of odds you don't even know. How could you possibly know the statistics for sexuality in the Mass Effect universe? The fact that we haven't seen specific evidence for gay or bisexual characters could just as easily indicate that it's a completely pedestrian occurance unworthy of specific mention (looking back at old dev stuff from ME1 where "everyone is bisexual in space/the future", this is what they were originally intending) as it could that it isn't particularly prevalent.

(5) We don't know which characters are heterosexual. Some of them have no romantic dialogue at all and the ones that do have only heterosexual options. Some could easily be bisexual (again, as they were intended to be in ME1).

(6) If the romantic options are so "token", maybe you should argue that they should be done away with entirely rather than complaining about a specific type of them? Before you say "I did that", it doesn't count if you do that after complaining about the specific type.

(7) I assure you, gay people do actually like it when there are gay people in games and gay relationship options. It isn't just a "token" thing, it's getting a rare opportunity to play a character in a way you understand implicitly and an opportunity to explore that in a different setting, which is one of the big points of RPGs.

Logan Westbrook said:
What's more, they will finally add lesbian and gay options, something that was notably absent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99710-BioWare-Explains-Why-Theres-No-Homosexuality-in-Mass-Effect-2] in Mass Effect 2.
Oh good, Bioware is finally going to catch up with itself!

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure how to take this given their previous comments. Was the insistence that Shepard was canon-straight just a bullshit excuse? Was it a real intention and now they're just bowing to criticism (if so, is this a good or a bad thing?)?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I'm sorry, but how is it cheating if I've been legally (and physically) dead for two years?

If they're finally putting in the option for homosexuality at least give us the polygamy option as well haha.

Jaime_Wolf said:
Logan Westbrook said:
What's more, they will finally add lesbian and gay options, something that was notably absent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99710-BioWare-Explains-Why-Theres-No-Homosexuality-in-Mass-Effect-2] in Mass Effect 2.
Oh good, Bioware is finally going to catch up with itself!

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure how to take this given their previous comments. Was the insistence that Shepard was canon-straight just a bullshit excuse? Was it a real intention and now they're just bowing to criticism (if so, is this a good or a bad thing?)?
It's a bullshit excuse, I recall that there was code in the first PC Mass Effect for a Kaidan-Male Shepherd relationship that was scrapped. Methinks they were just dodging the extra work of making homosexual relationships and the dialogue that would go with it (Dragon Age Origins had it easier, since you had a character who didn't speak). Personally I thought that bullshit excuse was lame, I could think up another one right now: None of your companions have been homosexual up until this point. There, fits into canon nicely.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
My female shepherd was always loyal to Liara.

My male shepherd killed ashley and turned liara down so now I make the choice:

Tali
Miranda
Jack
Kelly (if possible)

Which one of these ladies should I pick (actually considering jack)

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Liara my love <3

I am totally looking forward to ME 3 when I saw her in the trailers. Not to mention my femshep has been nothing BUT faithful to her and only her.

The only time that it was a little awkward in ME 1 where Ashley and Liara forced me to choose between the two. That was a very memorable moment.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
I hope they include 2 new Romance Options, 1 Male and 1 Female and make them both "potentially Bi-Sexual" i.e. romance-able for either femshep or maleshep ;P

Basicly like DA2, just with only two. As much as i liked the move that Bioware pulled with DA2, i hated that they made basicly every Romance Option available for both Genders. Thats merely overkill, its like too much of a good thing. So yeah, 2 fleshed out nice Characters you can pick from in ME3 and thats it, dont really need more. We sure as hell dont need 4 or however many new Teammates we get as Romance Options, given that we got Ashley/Kaidan, Liara, the 6 other People from ME2 (cant be arsed to list them all) and on top of that god knows how many more.

Though on that note, i do so hope that one of the potential Romances will be the green Asari, unless you killed her in ME1. Because damn she is the only one so far i'd go for with my Femshep. Liara is a little too nerdy for me imho, Morinth kills you and Samara doesnt go for it. So from all "potential" Asari (its hinted in ME2 when you arent romanced to anyone that she has her Eyes on you) Shiala (i think thats what the green one was called) is the best option ;P