It's Over; the Robots Have Learned to Build

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
It's Over; the Robots Have Learned to Build

Few things are more unsettling than a swarm of buzzing robot drones seamlessly cooperating to build things.

It's nice to see the folks at UPenn's GRASP Laboratory [http://www.grasp.upenn.edu/] continuing in their unrelenting quest to give robots the tools they will need to overthrow and enslave their fleshbag masters. Here, we see that they've taught their diligent team of manhacks quadrotors how to build miniature cubic structures.

According to GRASP researcher Daniel Mellinger via YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W18Z3UnnS_0&feature=player_embedded], "[the team tells] the quadrotors what structure to build, and they figure out the assembly plan and then build it." So not only are they doing the heavy lifting, they're doing the planning. The planning that teaches them how to create small, cage-like objects.

I can see nothing wrong with this plan in the least.

"Oh sure," some of you may be saying, "but doesn't this have genuinely useful applications as well? We could use robots to construct buildings without endangering human lives and without the risk of human error."

Perhaps, I respond, but that is an ultimately naive thought. I assure you, this terrifying buzzing noise will be the last sound many of us ever hear with conscious, free-thinking minds.

(Via Botjunkie [http://www.botjunkie.com/2011/01/14/autonomous-quadrotor-teams-may-build-your-next-house/])

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
welp, guess it's time to start working on electronic weapons

I'm starting with the railgun

btw, captcha: pipe dream, lolwut

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I for one welcome our new robotic overlords.

If you need a sleeper agent i am your guy!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sounds scary but all in all that's pretty cool stuff.

Supraliminal

Jul 18, 2009
That buzzing sure is unnerving.

On the other hand, robots doing all the "real" work is one of those things that just have to happen. For the sake of happiness and all that fun stuff.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
THE HAAAACKS! Goddamn Civil Protection! Where's a spectacled, crowbar-wielding scientist when you need him!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yes and some company called Umbrella announced the zombie apocalypse is happening next week.

Im not for being enslaved. Im more for doing the enslaving, so if i see no way to fight it ill go to them and bend them to my will.

teh_Canape said:
welp, guess it's time to start working on electronic weapons

I'm starting with the railgunbtw, captcha: pipe dream, lolwut
Thats a bad idea. Start with EMP devices and ion weaponry, or anything designed to mess with electronics in a big way. Never go with computer viruses, it will just get worse.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I always like when someone says Robots will over throw us since we have to program them to do so.

OT: This is cool. It would definately making building go faster, since you dont need a robot union, and they can do more in worse weather then humans. And go places humans cant.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
One day they'll use what they've learned here to build cages for their human slaves.

Alternately...
John Funk said:
Here, we see that they've taught their diligent team of manhacks quadrotors how to build miniature cubic structures.
Just give them a copy of Minecraft. That'll keep them too busy to conquer the world.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
John Funk said:
It's nice to see the folks at UPenn's GRASP Laboratory [http://www.grasp.upenn.edu/] continuing in their unrelenting quest to give robots the tools they will need to overthrow and enslave their fleshbag masters.

Why would robots want to enslave humans?
Anything a humans can do, robots can do better.

If that's not the case yet, it will be when they are capable of enslaving us.
They'd be better of exterminating us to protect themselves, since it's obvious humans would revolt against their metalic masters.

Well, maybe they can use human bodies as a source of energy, while keeping the human minds busy in a virtual world...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well that's pretty awesome, like all flying robots are.
And the end was quite unnerving: they all did their job in the video and then suddenly one just flew to your face and "THE END".

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Fascinating. Robots like these will be able to do day-in day-out construction in ways better than that which we can, like building through the night or in hard to access areas, like the construction of high-tension power lines or other remote infrastructure.
However development will probably mean it'll be a while before we see them used in cities because humans do all these annoying unpredictable things like drive cars erratically or jaywalk, deviating from preset motions, which the robots would have a difficult time accounting for.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Am I the only person who sees GRASP as the perfect name for an evil organization in an 80s cartoon?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
gigastar said:
Thats a bad idea. Start with EMP devices and ion weaponry, or anything designed to mess with electronics in a big way. Never go with computer viruses, it will just get worse.
I know what you mean

dem spirals *bites underlip*

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Robots now have Vuvuzelas. It's all part of their plan to ruin FIFA 2014... by enslaving us all! We'll be forced to build magnetic superstructures and slave away in their vuvuzela mines! We're doomed! Doooooomed!