itt: say something nice to British folk

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
All this love for us little old Brits... it's almost enough to make me stop being a hateful, oppressive mod for a whole five minutes.
Almost.

I actually like to wish Americans a happy Independence Day on the 4th >.>
Turkey day, though, that's just silly.
>.>

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Nah, it's totally fine about that whole alien takeover thing. Didn't Will Smith sort it out anyway? We have bigger problems to worry about, such as our current government and what's for dinner.

Anymoo, considering we are all personally responsible for our artist's existence; we thankyou (i speak for all Britons now)Nice things are always nice. Though everytime someone has been nice to me lately, it has been to try and sell me something. What you peddling??

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Frezzato said:
albino boo said:
Hazy992 said:
We're salty over the 4th of July? That's the first I've heard of it, I don't think anyone really cares.
Personally, I always celebrate the 4th of July as thank god we got rid of those awful people day.
Heeeey that's not fair. If it weren't for us, who would remake your best TV shows into unfunny abominations other than The Office?
Fair point. The French would remake them full of people that shouldn't be attractive yet somehow are. The Scandinavians would be all gritty, washed out colours, and a unfeasibly attractive cast. Best guess is the Germans, I have lived in Germany and the least said about their comedy shows the better.
Frezzato said:
And I suppose most important of all for me, thank you for James Burke and his show Connections.
Wow thats going back about I haven't thought about James Burke in 20 years.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Frezzato said:
davidmc1158 said:
I would like to thank Great Britain from the very bottom of my heart. You have provided the world with Neil Gaimen, Tom Baker (the best Doctor), and most importantly Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

Thank you.
Thank you for opening the door for me.
I'd like to expand on Tom Baker by thanking the Brits for, uh...

Lalla Ward, Louise Jameson, and Mary Tamm.
In that same vein I shall always be thankful for the existence of the incomparable Nicola Bryant (who is ironically best known for playing an American).

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm gonna join in with the other Brits going `huh?` about us apparently caring about your independence day. We're not really fussed about it. I don't really know what goes on on independence day. Fireworks and patriotism?

But I certainly do enjoy being British, though I don't get what the deal is with people liking British accents so much.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Somehow everything becomes funnier in a British accent, I don't know why. I'm thinking of all the funny British shows and movies I've seen, and I swear that 75% of the jokes wouldn't work if the person telling them said it in an American accent. I have no idea why, but it works.

Also, thank you for "The IT Crowd", James Bond, and Lucy Pinder.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Even though it's an American event, run by Americans, the drinking will definitely be British!
That's probably for the best. I mean, I don't even touch alcohol and I know that compared to most British drinks, American beer is pretty much pisswater.

Jul 31, 2013
After living in the UK for the last few years I'd say your healthcare system is amazing, you have to wait a bit before seeing a doctor but you never have to worry about paying for anything (and living in Scotland means that prescriptions are free to). Also you may not have the whitest teeth but they were recently ranked above us for healthiness.

However since compliments make you uncomfortable, you are all 'wankers'.

Also to the OP. Unless they study the subject (which they don't do in school at all) or know Americans, the 4th of July is the day between the 3rd and 5th. They're just naturally salty (its probably all the fish and chips).

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
The British are great, they are almost as good as Australian or New Zealanders.

But...why should the UK be upset? The 4th celebrates them not being responsible for what people in the US do.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Well from the Brits: You don't give a crap about America's independence day? Well think of this, had we not split off, everything that went right with the last World War wouldn't have gone that way and you'd all be speaking German, assuming you exist by not having your parents eliminated. While you contributed a massive amount to the allied victory, remember that without lend/lease you would have been overrun. So don't shrug off the 4th of July, because us Yanks are still here for you, and we know you'll still be there for us.
What? If the US had been part of Britain, Britain would have done worse in WW2?

(As an aside, the UK would not have been conquered regardless of the US, the English Channel was too much of an obstacle. Now, whether or not the French would be speaking German or Russian, that's another matter).
Yes and Brittan would have had another set of under represented, over taxed, under preforming colonies. The westward expansion would have pretty much never been possible, because France would never have allowed the Louisiana purchase, so a great deal of NA's resources would have remained untapped at best, or in German hands at worse. Also it was England and France that caused WWII by how they stomped on the German economy post WWI. No this would have boded very poorly hat the US not been independent.

Also the English channel too much of an obstacle? Some one should have told the Vikings and Romans that before they set up in the British isles.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Also the English channel too much of an obstacle? Some one should have told the Vikings and Romans that before they set up in the British isles.
The Vikings and the Romans didn't have to contend with the RAF or Royal Navy, they make crossing an army to land on uk shores a lot trickier.

Also I'm confused as to your previous post saying that we brits should care about your independance day because of ww2...
Why? xD Should we start keeping track of the russian holidays too? Cos let's face it, if any one country deserves the title of winning ww2 it's the russians for beating the german army at their strongest.
Heck by the time D-day happened, it was already GG for germany, at that point it was just a race to Berlin to see if we could get there before the russians did (we didn't).
Without Russia, the allies would not have won, pure and simple, so therefore let's celebrate russian holidays from now on!

Similarly if this is your logic.. Do you expect every single country that participated in ww2 to celebrate the 4th of july too?

Honestly I'm confused, what do you want from us? For us to note down july 4th and get angry about it so OP can be right in saying we are "salty"? Or maybe for us to mark it down and celebrate it even though it's not one of our holiday and celebrates one of our historical defeats? Should we celebrate losing the 100 years war too whilst we are at it?

On the flipside, if the Uk surrendered after the fall of France and joined nazi germany....
Then allies wouldn't have won at all :O
Therefore everyone else should start celebrating our holidays as thank you for staying in the fight.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Frankster said:
The Vikings and the Romans didn't have to contend with the RAF or Royal Navy, they make crossing an army to land on uk shores a lot trickier.

Also I'm confused as to your previous post saying that we brits should care about your independance day because of ww2...
Why? xD Should we start keeping track of the russian holidays too? Cos let's face it, if any one country deserves the title of winning ww2 it's the russians for beating the german army at their strongest.
Heck by the time D-day happened, it was already GG for germany, at that point it was just a race to Berlin to see if we could get there before the russians did (we didn't).
Without Russia, the allies would not have won, pure and simple, so therefore let's celebrate russian holidays from now on!

Similarly if this is your logic.. Do you expect every single country that participated in ww2 to celebrate the 4th of july too?

Honestly I'm confused, what do you want from us? For us to note down july 4th and get angry about it so OP can be right in saying we are "salty"? Or maybe for us to mark it down and celebrate it even though it's not one of our holiday and celebrates one of our historical defeats? Should we celebrate losing the 100 years war too whilst we are at it?

On the flipside, if the Uk surrendered after the fall of France and joined nazi germany....
Then allies wouldn't have won at all :O
Therefore everyone else should start celebrating our holidays as thank you for staying in the fight.
Lend/lease is the only thing that allowed Britain to hang on, with out it, Germany would have had all of Western Europe. People seem to for get not so tiny details like that.

Also taking Germany post soviet invasion still required the largest naval invasion in human history... So... You would have had all that without the US?

Also people keep forgetting that France, Britain's biggest enemy up to and during the revolution backed the rebelling colonies. Without that distraction the French-English conflict would have been far worse.

Also the Axis would have had Spain, which would have backed Mexico if not for the existence of the US, which would have allowed the Axis to tap north American resources too.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Phasmal said:
But I certainly do enjoy being British, though I don't get what the deal is with people liking British accents so much.

As a northerner (brit) thank you. I read somewhere that the UK has the most accent/dialects in such a small area, so hearing people say the "british accent" is sexy pisses me off. You mean middle class London accent, not Yam-yam, scouse, cockney or geordie I presume.

Also I had no clue the 4th of July was anything. I mean, it's a saturday and I'm working but that's about it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I didn't say anything about the lend ease or deny its existence, much less forget about it (I even mentioned it in my original version of the post before removing it as I was writing a TLDR and assumed you'd be familiar with USA's aid policies. Didn't consider you'd take me not mentioning it as ignorance on my part though). I simply suggested what if UK said "fuck it" and joined germany (existence of lend ease in this hypothetical scenario is completely irrelevant)? Why don't you thank us for staying in the fight?

I mean you're saying we should kiss your asses for sending us supplies that kept us in the fight.
I'm retorting that you should be kissing OUR asses for having the will to stay in the fight, cos sending us supplies is all well and good, but doesn't change the fact we were in a shitty position surrounded by enemies and only remained in the fight due to stubborness.

What you think the lend ease is a magical thing that wins by itself? Uk was alone and isolated and joining the Germans would actually have been a smart move that would have guaranteed Axis supremacy in Europe.
People seem to forget not so tiny details like that. Ok that doesn't really fit but I like throwing people's passive aggressive remarks back at them. Assuming this was one, maybe it wasn't your intention in which case I apologize, hard to tell without vocal tones.

Anyways let's try a little role playing game... Imagine its the US that lived right next to a more powerful nation intent on invading it... And for the contrived purposes of this rp, it is britain and the rest of europe sending supplies to the usa troops since for w/e reason US production lines and food supply got fucked up.

I think most americans would be pissed if we europeans said we deserved more credit then you yanks despite it being your country that was subject to the front line fighting and your country that bore all the front line stress.

"Also taking Germany post soviet invasion still required the largest naval invasion in human history... So... You would have had all that without the US?"

What...the....fuck? Sorry I don't understand this. If the Soviets had lost and germany conquered russia.. Then its GG, USA or no USA, uk or no uk, naval invasion or no naval invasion, etc... The russians beat the german army at their mightiest, and for your scenario to work this means russians would have lost and this completely transforms everything.

"Also people keep forgetting that France, Britain's biggest enemy up to and during the revolution backed the rebelling colonies. Without that distraction the French-English conflict would have been far worse."

As far as I know the only people who believe USA beat the UK single handedly during their revolution are other Americans, so gonna assume this isn't directed at me. Also whilst we are it, let's give a mention to the Spanish.

"Also the Axis would have had Spain, which would have backed Mexico if not for the existence of the US, which would have allowed the Axis to tap north American resources too.

Oh now we are getting into very speculative history and in this case I'll just counter your hypothetical historical scenario with my own: What if uk surrendered and joined the axis? What if all of Europe became communist?
What if aliens attacked?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime I'll ask you again.. What is it you want?
No one in their right mind would deny USA was an important factor in an allied win and axis defeat, and don't think anyone in this thread has claimed otherwise.
But again, wtf should that be a reason to start celebrating their holidays and worshipping their intervention to the point that it eclipses the contributions of other countries?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yes and Brittan would have had another set of under represented, over taxed, under preforming colonies. The westward expansion would have pretty much never been possible, because France would never have allowed the Louisiana purchase, so a great deal of NA's resources would have remained untapped at best, or in German hands at worse. Also it was England and France that caused WWII by how they stomped on the German economy post WWI. No this would have boded very poorly hat the US not been independent.
Ah, ok, not sure about that, but it seems reasonable.

The Germans did not have the logistical capability to invade Britain. Operation Sealion would have had to have been Operation Overlord in reverse, and that took years of planning, massive amounts of resources, air and naval supremacy, and close co-operation between the branches. The German forces had none of that. Each branch was given an impossible task to fulfill, and without it, the entire operation failed. And that's assuming that the river barges they were going to use to cross the open sea didn't sink by themselves anyway. There are lots of very good reasons they looked at the issues involved and decided not to try.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Why? No one ever says anything nice about America. It's always imperialism this, and stop shooting my dog. We're just making the world safe for democracy one nation at a time.

Fine. I think your bloody good writers. Most of my favorite fiction comes from England or Japan. What is it about small imperialistic island nations that makes them so good at story telling? Is it the water? It's something in the water.