itt: say something nice to British folk

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
2012 Wont Happen said:
Your great enlightenment thinkers pioneered the idea of republicanism... while ours went ahead and made a republic.
The enlightenment was a social and scientific movement, not a political movement. Enlightenment thinkers came from across the political spectrum from rational absolutists to republicans. What made them enlightened was the desire for a freer and more rational society, not necessarily a change to the political order.

To assume that republicanism is somehow the logical end-point of the enlightenment is ridiculous Americocentrism, and I speak as a British republican. Don't forget that the European revolution achieved its high point under Napoleon, not under the National Convention, the Directorate or the Consulate.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
halisme said:
As a Brit myself, we do not get salty. We get sarcastic. Anyway, nice to be complemented for a change. All I shall thanks america for allowing our actors to get so many roles as villains.
And now their super heroes too. Superman, Batman, Spider-man, the list will go on. The Brits shall rule again... in Hollywood.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
albino boo said:
Hazy992 said:
We're salty over the 4th of July? That's the first I've heard of it, I don't think anyone really cares.
Personally, I always celebrate the 4th of July as thank god we got rid of those awful people day.
I'm with you, if anything I think we're glad that America isn't our problem anymore.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
carlsberg export said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Even though it's an American event, run by Americans, the drinking will definitely be British!
That's probably for the best. I mean, I don't even touch alcohol and I know that compared to most British drinks, American beer is pretty much pisswater.
Not true I have discovered many fine beers here on the west coast.
can't really think of any decent drinks from back home, I mean Carling? yeah wicked.....
Ok, lets take Carling out of the question as it is bland flavourless pisswater that is an insult to alcohol. England has many breweries such as Wytchwood, Badgers, Marston, Batemans and Adnams who all put out a selection of very tasty ales. Wytchwood and Badgers being my favourites.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
evilthecat said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Your great enlightenment thinkers pioneered the idea of republicanism... while ours went ahead and made a republic.
The enlightenment was a social and scientific movement, not a political movement. Enlightenment thinkers came from across the political spectrum from rational absolutists to republicans. What made them enlightened was the desire for a freer and more rational society, not necessarily a change to the political order.

To assume that republicanism is somehow the logical end-point of the enlightenment is ridiculous Americocentrism, and I speak as a British republican. Don't forget that the European revolution achieved its high point under Napoleon, not under the National Convention, the Directorate or the Consulate.
All very good points, but you're forgetting one important thing... my one and only goal with a holiday like July 4 is give others the business, not to make solid arguments. Online, I made jabs at the British; in person, I wore an English soccer shirt.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'd say everyone who isn't Northern American is 'salty' because july 4th becomes a social media frenzy of dumb and people 'calling out england' with pictures of ruined tea bags, while the rest of us just wonder why we're even online putting up with the spam of red, white and blue.

But yeah if that's saltyness then...sure. Mega salt. Salt and vinegar. Saltlickety splits over here.

Compliment me by all means.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
I?ve never seen an Englishman upset about the 4th of July, but, either way, I?ve always felt a strong affinity for the English and I?ll compliment them anyway.

Thanks for all the effort you took into ending slavery, guys. You guys took the first *real* step towards a better future and where were are now is because of you.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
We brits dont care about 4th July as much as Americans do - and I think most Americans dont see it as a fanboy thing. I think its Americans cant accept they didnt beat us on their own an needed the French peoples help....also Denmark and Spain played a part (friendly piss take ;-). But what i do love about Americans independence is they wanted it and earned it - and i applaud that (not being sarcastic). Also that the French got cocky afterwards and we kicked their asses leading to the French Revolutions and the french being beheaded. While the Brits and Americans shook hands and made trading deals to better both our countries. Now thats something to celebrate. :)

Funny story. My last girlfriend is American and while visiting her in Florida during 4th July a guy heard my accent. He said "Wooooo red white and blue rules" and i said "What.....the British flag? Your right it does rule". Wow did i get a dirty look from that guy. But also, weirdly enough, without the Brits their would be no America being that the colonists were British.

Basiclly what ever happened in the past. Americans and UK are friends even though it is good making digs at eachother. An ive visited America 5 times and have been treated well. Even during 4th July, i was treated will and as one with the people celebrating. Love you guys. :)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mbvd/man-dies-after-lighting-firework-on-top-of-his-head#.da716zYqNB

Yeah, just going to leave this here. I like how his friend came and said he wasn't the sort to do something stupid.

Matthew Jeffs

Aug 19, 2014
If we'd have known the mess you'd eventually make we may have fought harder, but you're welcome none the less XX

NeutralStasis

Sep 23, 2014
I have plenty of nice things to say to the English. Thanks for the very cool TV programming over the years. Thanks for the Beatles. Finally, thank you for the excellent slang and foul language!