J.J. Abrams "Made a Mistake" With Leia in Force Awakens

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Maybe something can be said about learning from the humble honey badger.

"Ignore the Star Wars fanboys and enjoy the movies."

Much can be learned from his wise ways.
I could've told you that. Hell, I'll take it step further; "ignore all fan ravings and enjoy what you enjoy".

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
dragongit said:
whats with the sudden shitting all over the Force Awakens? Maybe it's the Phantom Menace all over again but I still think it's a good film. Now everyone is treating it like "explosive diarrhea" or "the worst thing to happen to star wars cannon", you serious?
No, it's the third worst thing to happen to Star Wars cannon, right behind the Special Editions and the PT.

And I'd believe JJ a lot more if Chewbacca actually took Finn to get medical care. But you can see him dicking around with the celebrating resistance members ten feet away from where Leia and Rey are hugging it out.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Travis Fischer said:
dragongit said:
whats with the sudden shitting all over the Force Awakens? Maybe it's the Phantom Menace all over again but I still think it's a good film. Now everyone is treating it like "explosive diarrhea" or "the worst thing to happen to star wars cannon", you serious?
No, it's the third worst thing to happen to Star Wars cannon, right behind the Special Editions and the PT.

And I'd believe JJ a lot more if Chewbacca actually took Finn to get medical care. But you can see him dicking around with the celebrating resistance members ten feet away from where Leia and Rey are hugging it out.
So where does the Star Wars Holiday Special fit in?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
dragongit said:
Here, here.

I liked it, I enjoyed it for what it was, but I guess the honeymoon phase is over for certain fans, and we all know how fans like their hyperboles.

We don't find a few problems with an admittedly watchable product; we have to lambaste it, tar and feather it, then set it on fire and bash our brains in to erase its existence from the collective consciousness. Or at least, that's how a lot of people tend to react with supposedly objectionable content or anything that slights canon in admittedly small ways.

*sighs* Now I'm expecting quoting notifications going something along the lines of "A FEW PROBLEMS?! What are you on; The Force Awakens was a steaming turd on wheels! Here's a few subjective examples from the top of my head!"

Arctic Werewolf

Oct 16, 2014
dragongit said:
I definitely don't think The Force Awakens is another Phantom Menace, but it doesn't really feel like Star Wars to me either. It's a J.J. Abrams film. That's a huuuuge improvement on latter-day Lucas. But it's a J.J. Abrams film, and that's not something I'm going to get really excited about either.

There was a lot of creative and Star Warsey stuff in the movie, and I appreciated that. Somebody who had half a brain cell actually gave a shit. So you can't call it the next Phantom Menace.

Draconalis said:
I'm still trying to figure out how that helmet survived the explosion of the 2nd Star Destroyer... or hell... how he found it among the wreckage of something the size of a small moon.

But I didn't watch the movie... so maybe they explained it.
Luke took Anakin's body to the surface of Endor and cremated it. So it wouldn't be in the wreckage of the @nd Death Star.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
dragongit said:
I'm in agreement. No point in polishing a turd. I don't get why people are so quick to accept mediocrity. Audiences should be holding hollywood in general, and Disney in particular, to a higher standard. We shouldn't be rewarding The Force Awakens and Frozen with a billion dollars. Otherwise Disney will finally realize that they can produce a film with minimal effort, and still make money.

Besides, TFA has received nothing but glowing adoration for months now. It's about time that they start to hear some constructive criticism. Abrams in particular seems to be laboring under the delusion that he actually made a great film. That heads been getting a little too big. People are always entitled to their opinion, but I don't think a creatively bankrupt rehash of old ideas should be heralded this way.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Fox12 said:
dragongit said:
I'm in agreement. No point in polishing a turd. I don't get why people are so quick to accept mediocrity. Audiences should be holding hollywood in general, and Disney in particular, to a higher standard. We shouldn't be rewarding The Force Awakens and Frozen with a billion dollars. Otherwise Disney will finally realize that they can produce a film with minimal effort, and still make money.

Besides, TFA has received nothing but glowing adoration for months now. It's about time that they start to hear some constructive criticism. Abrams in particular seems to be laboring under the delusion that he actually made a great film. That heads been getting a little too big. People are always entitled to their opinion, but I don't think a creatively bankrupt rehash of old ideas should be heralded this way.
oh its such a bad thing for people to like those movies

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Tony2077 said:
Fox12 said:
dragongit said:

oh its such a bad thing for people to like those movies
People are more then welcomed to like those films.

My point is that they've received nothing glowing praise for months. A little bit of criticism is good thing. Besides, no one minded when people criticized the prequels. What's the difference. The new film isn't any better. It may be worse.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
dragongit said:
If the negative criticism of the movie is picking up, it means that we're starting to see the end of the honeymoon period the movie got when it first released where people were so excited and caught up in the nostalgia and hype surrounding the idea of 'NEW STAR WARS!' and 'IT'S NOT GEORGE LUCAS!' that they didn't care about its flaws.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Draconalis said:
Kameburger said:
Jadak said:
American Fox said:
They should reshoot it, but then, the entire movie was pretty dumb.
Maybe add a Han Solo force ghost while they're at it, but portrayed by whichever actor they find to play young Han in the standalone movies.
I was thinking that when Ren is talking to the helmet of Darth Vader, they could re-edit it so that instead of the helmet, it's a CGI Force ghost of Hayden Christensen. That would really kick things up a notch.
I'm still trying to figure out how that helmet survived the explosion of the 2nd Star Destroyer... or hell... how he found it among the wreckage of something the size of a small moon.

But I didn't watch the movie... so maybe they explained it.
Luke takes Vader's body with him and burns it on the moon of endor helmet and all at the end of Return of the Jedi. I don't really know why Luke kept the helmet after he burned it but Ren definitely got it from Luke

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
the movie was really good. enjoyed it a lot and is better than expected.
at least he is honest about it, even though i didnt really see it as a huge mistake but a bit questionable for sure.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
dragongit said:
Cause it's popular. Anything popular will bring out the hipsters from the dregs of the most obscure record store and try and justify why anything popular is bad.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Jadak said:
Kameburger said:
I was thinking that when Ren is talking to the helmet of Darth Vader, they could re-edit it so that instead of the helmet, it's a CGI Force ghost of Hayden Christensen. That would really kick things up a notch.
Come on now, they can keep the helmet. Makes more sense to let him talk to it, then he hears a response, pan the camera and it's the Christensen Ghost standing beside him.
But the real question is, what would the ghost think of having Darth Vader's helmet worshipped? XD
Regardless of which version of Anakin's ghost you're talking about, they represent his 'good' side, not Darth Vader...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Holy balls, vindication is mine! All the people who explained this away by shit that "clearly" happened off screen can go fuck themselves!

Sorry, it's out of my system, I apologize about my language use.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Space Jawa said:
dragongit said:
If the negative criticism of the movie is picking up, it means that we're starting to see the end of the honeymoon period the movie got when it first released where people were so excited and caught up in the nostalgia and hype surrounding the idea of 'NEW STAR WARS!' and 'IT'S NOT GEORGE LUCAS!' that they didn't care about its flaws.
Actually some of us are perfectly capable of noticing the flaws in something, but still being able to enjoy the overall product. Yeah Force Awakens wasn't perfect, news flash, neither were the original movies. No movie is perfect, but having flaws, and noticing them, isn't the same thing as hating something, or thinking it sucks. There is a very big difference in the two things.

I could list probably 6-7 things off the top of my head that I didn't like about Force Awakens, but I can do the same thing about the original movies too. I still enjoyed them, and the new movie as well.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I've been a Star Wars fan since the seventies (and hated the prequels) and I thought The Force Awakens was pretty good, personally. Not without its flaws of course, but a good Star Wars experience.

Nazulu said:
dragongit said:
Just because a lot of people are now looking back on it and start noticing it's flaws, doesn't mean they all think it's a bad movie. We can all enjoy movies with flaws, and I reckon it's healthy to notice these things.

Also, does it really surprise you that there are many people that see it as "the worst thing to be canon"? C'mon! Fanboys/girls have always been like this. If anything, I'm surprised they care about whats canon at all after the prequels came in.
Personally, I always thought "the worst thing to be canon" was most of the Extended Universe tripe. I'm really glad it's all gone, now. About the only part of it I'll miss is Timothy Zhan's Thrawn trilogy, they were awesome.
Oh, and I suppose Splinter of the Mind's Eye is also no longer canon, if it ever was. That's sad, it was a great book.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Glad to hear them saying that scene was a mistake. It was one of the two scenes that really bugged me in the new film. Now if only they can explain why they went with R2D2 being in a coma. He's a fucking robot, get a memory dump dumb dumbs!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Kameburger said:
I don't really know why Luke kept the helmet after he burned it but Ren definitely got it from Luke
I believe he may have kept it as a memento of sorts, not just of his father, but as a constant reminder of what the Dark Side can do to someone (and the galaxy) and what it could do to him if he lets it.

Come to think of it, from the way Ren talks about Vader in the movie, it's possible he doesn't know Vader returned to the Light at the end and sacrificed himself to destroy the Emperor. Maybe Luke told his close friends some things, but I'm guessing only he knows the full story and the rest of the galaxy only remembers Vader as a monster.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
dragongit said:
They're trying to be edgy because liking things is so last decade.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
dragongit said:
They're trying to be edgy because liking things is so last decade.
Apparently accepting that people's criticism is genuine, rather than just an attempt at being "edgy", is also so last decade.