J.J. Abrams "Made a Mistake" With Leia in Force Awakens

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Hm, here I thought he was going to apologize for making her lose weight, and maybe for having white privilege.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Jadak said:
CrystalShadow said:
Jadak said:
Kameburger said:
I was thinking that when Ren is talking to the helmet of Darth Vader, they could re-edit it so that instead of the helmet, it's a CGI Force ghost of Hayden Christensen. That would really kick things up a notch.
Come on now, they can keep the helmet. Makes more sense to let him talk to it, then he hears a response, pan the camera and it's the Christensen Ghost standing beside him.
But the real question is, what would the ghost think of having Darth Vader's helmet worshipped? XD
Regardless of which version of Anakin's ghost you're talking about, they represent his 'good' side, not Darth Vader...
Eh, that logic annoys me. I mean, he was Darth Vader before the suit too. They'd have to CGI the child actor or at least ensure it was short-hair Christensen to be proper about it.
I don't think you actually follow the logic - all the other 'ghosts' we see are Jedi, not sith.
In fact, the only scene in which we see Anakin that way is after Luke has 'saved' him.

It makes no particular sense for this to represent Darth Vader, and more to the point, irrespective of his actual appearance, the 'ghost' represents a continuation of a Jedi after the point they died.

In Anakin's case, that would be after Luke redeemed him, in return of the jedi.
His appearance has nothing to do with it.
The logic of being a ghost like that does.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Fox12 said:
dragongit said:
whats with the sudden shitting all over the Force Awakens? Maybe it's the Phantom Menace all over again but I still think it's a good film. Now everyone is treating it like "explosive diarrhea" or "the worst thing to happen to star wars cannon", you serious?
I'm in agreement. No point in polishing a turd. I don't get why people are so quick to accept mediocrity. Audiences should be holding hollywood in general, and Disney in particular, to a higher standard. We shouldn't be rewarding The Force Awakens and Frozen with a billion dollars. Otherwise Disney will finally realize that they can produce a film with minimal effort, and still make money.

Besides, TFA has received nothing but glowing adoration for months now. It's about time that they start to hear some constructive criticism. Abrams in particular seems to be laboring under the delusion that he actually made a great film. That heads been getting a little too big. People are always entitled to their opinion, but I don't think a creatively bankrupt rehash of old ideas should be heralded this way.

Oooooooooooooor, ooooooooooooooor, maybe people like different things than you, and your standard for what's a mediocre experience isn't an universal truth.

Crazy, I know. Maybe people do hold Disney up to higher standards and find Frozen and the Force Awakens meet or are close enough to those standards. Maybe it's a stupid, inflamatory and overall needless comment to go around calling the director delusional, and by extension all fans that agree with him too.

The spread of internet culture has created a culture of entitlement, and as much as that word is abused, here it applies perfectly. A director comes out and says "yeah I made a mistake, sorry guys", a statement that should be fairly positive for both people that like it or hate it, yet the first responses tend to clump around criticisms he didn't commit Seppoku on camera

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
JamesStone said:
A bad film is a bad film. He just rehashed the first movie. There were a ton of plot holes. Things didn't make sense. These issues could have been easily fixed. This reflects incredible laziness on the part of the director. This kind of laziness reflects a lack of respect for his audience, especially when he's working on a series that someone else created. If that met your standards then you have very low standards. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
A bad film is a bad film. He just rehashed the first movie. There were a ton of plot holes. Things didn't make sense. These issues could have been easily fixed. This reflects incredible laziness on the part of the director. This kind of laziness reflects a lack of respect for his audience, especially when he's working on a series that someone else created. If that met your standards then you have very low standards. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.
In short, "my word is law, my opinion objective fact and everyone who disagrees obviously has some kind of problem, namely they have low standards".

You are out of line. You know nothing of me or my standards, nor of anyone else you're criticising for the crime of liking something you don't. You're not the Harbinger of Objective Quality and will never be, and it would be good for you to consider that maybe if others see good when you see only bad it might not be because everyone else has inferior taste, or standards, or whatever's the pedantic word du jurs to try and attribute some inherit factual value to what's a merely subjective opinion

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
In short, "my word is law, my opinion objective fact and everyone who disagrees obviously has some kind of problem, namely they have low standards".

You are out of line. You know nothing of me or my standards, nor of anyone else you're criticising for the crime of liking something you don't. You're not the Harbinger of Objective Quality and will never be, and it would be good for you to consider that maybe if others see good when you see only bad it might not be because everyone else has inferior taste, or standards, or whatever's the pedantic word du jurs to try and attribute some inherit factual value to what's a merely subjective opinion
Yep. That's exactly what I said.

Also, everything is subjective. That means criticism is dead apparently. If I question logical inconsistencies in a movie then I'm an entitled pedant. I could criticize the prequels and no one would care. If I criticize something you like, though, then suddenly everything is subjective and there are no standards for good film making.

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:

Also, everything is subjective. That means criticism is dead apparently. If I question logical inconsistencies in a movie then I'm an entitled pedant. I could criticize the prequels and no one would care. If I criticize something you like, though, then suddenly everything is subjective and there are no standards for good film making.
I have no problem about you critiquing and not liking things I like. That's a basic part of society, really. When you go ahead and call everyone who doesn't agree with you inherently inferior by claiming their opinion is the result of poorer taste or poorer standards, then yeah, you're being an entitled pedant.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:

I have no problem about you critiquing and not liking things I like. That's a basic part of society, really. When you go ahead and call everyone who doesn't agree with you inherently inferior by claiming their opinion is the result of poorer taste or poorer standards, then yeah, you're being an entitled pedant.
Yeah, well, you know what? You're right. I'm sorry.

I was a bit of an ass in that post, and that's not cool.

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:

No probs, we all have our "ass" moments. It's cool really. To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of A Force Awakens, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the direction of the franchise.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:

No probs, we all have our "ass" moments. It's cool really. To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of A Force Awakens, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the direction of the franchise.
Yesterday was a long day, but that's not really an excuse. I was more hostile then I needed to be : /

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of TFA, but I remain cautiously optimistic. I think my real issue was with Abrams. They've got some good directors lined up, though, so I'm sure they'll continue to get better. If nothing else the actors were pretty decent, so they've got everything they need to make a good film.

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:
Fox12 said:
JamesStone said:

Yesterday was a long day, but that's not really an excuse. I was more hostile then I needed to be : /

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of TFA, but I remain cautiously optimistic. I think my real issue was with Abrams. They've got some good directors lined up, though, so I'm sure they'll continue to get better. If nothing else the actors were pretty decent, so they've got everything they need to make a good film.
I also don't like J.J. Abrams. He's a competent director, sure, but I think he lacks the passion to be truly great. The Force Awakens' designs were full of passion, it really felt like almost every part of the scenario was made by people who loved the original Star Wars and wanted to do it justice. The movie itself sometimes lacks this, and while I know the insides of moviemaking well enough to know it's impossible to blame only Abrams for it, I can't help but to think he contributed greatly towards it. It's nice enough to hear him admit a mistake, however, that scene was the only one I found genuinely out-of-place. Hope they edit it somehow in a hypothetical Extended Cut.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This was a scene that made me :/ when I saw it and contributed to my dislike of Rey (which was pretty much cemented by this point admittedly) so was interesting to hear what the thought process behind it was...

You know I'm now kinda looking forward to the next film, it's starting to seem like a lot of what I didn't like about it were down to J.J Abrams so with someone else in charge, perhaps I'll warm up to the new films more and stop being a special snowflake who honestly preferred the prequels (yes, even Phantom menace) and form an opinion closer to that of the majority.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Meh, call me when he cops to making Rey a junkie. That'd be fun to see.

The worst part of the whole thing for me is how good the scene was. The camera pull, the music, the contrast of victory and loss. And then there's Chewie in the background. Pulled me right out.

It would be weak if they tried to retcon this, but they might be able to save it. I'm not happy about Chewie being an asshole, but it is an interesting direction.

Oh, and the real snub is Chewie sitting in the Co-pilot seat at the end. Unless he can't actually pilot it, then nevermind.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I don't see the issue with that scene? It is pretty consistent with how the movie generally handles Rey's character, i.e. perfect at everything and is instantly loved by everyone.