J.J. Abrams Says Gay Characters Are Coming to Star Wars

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
.. Yay?

I mean, that's good and all, but surely it's a bit.. 'Hey everyone lookit the gays!' which .. well, no, homophobia/refusal to acknowledge the concept's vastly worse but still, surely the better thing's just to go ahead and stick characters thus inclined in where it feels appropriate and have done.

Though on the 'black stormtrooper' issue, I hardly have a problem with it but it did make me wonder: does that mean the empire's past using mass-clones of Jango Fett then? Frankly I'd been wondering that for a pretty long time actually. When'd they stop using the Repbulic's incredibly effective clones for their military?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ummmmm...isn't the daily beast satire? It reads a lot like it;
"Maybe, as some hopeful Star Wars fans have theorized, The Force Awakens already introduced the franchise?s first gay character. Who wouldn?t ship Boyega?s Finn and Oscar Isaac?s Poe Dameron?"
"She can also be cheeky, dropping two adorable F-bombs in her acceptance speech with her dad in the audience. ?I?m pretty new to this,? Ridley beamed, describing a pre-fame commercial shoot that demanded she cheerfully scarf down less than appetizing food, take after take: 'The pork pie was really fucking grim.'"

Not exactly good satire. Plus, even if it wasn't, the question was posed to him, not him announcing it,for crying out loud. If people would just read the source for once, or even the quote in context! A response to a question can so easily and quickly be misrepresented and then jumped upon by so many who are kneejerking at everything they can, it's a fucking tragedy to see.

Edit: Apparently it isn't satire, it is just very badly written. And i was thinking of the publication The MidEastBeast. Hopefully an understandable mistake considering.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Therumancer said:
Yes and no.
On Wookiepedia, the articles are separated in to two categories; Canon and Legend. Canon took elements from Legend, and rebranded them. Canon Bane was killed by the Jedi Council, Legend Bane was killed by his apprentice, Zannah, for example.

Just because it has characters with the same names doesn't mean anything anymore.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
ok. But why the fook should it matter ? Waht is this obbesssion with gender these days, just get the fuck on with it and keep what ever team ya on to yaself, it should not have this much importance. During the entire movie i was never thinking "wow this movie is great but its lacking gay ppls" WTF.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The best way to have a gay character is to make no notice of it at all, for it to just be a tangential thing that occurs on the side and nobody else in the film bats an eye.

Back at the cantina everyone's celebrating the destruction of the Death Star Mk.3 and Poe's getting very flirty with a guy. And that's all we see of it.

Sexuality established, nobody cares, everyone moves on.

But no, we gotta run that capitalist pandering thing into it. So it'll likely be some big emotional tragic story arc of oppression and discrimination.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Uh huh...
Okay.
Now, not to sound like a dick, this is fine and such, but I'm sure there are better things to say.
Like the announcement of new characters, the return of Kyle Katarn (I hope. :'D), more Captain Phasma, and how Finn could be a Jedi. (my other hope, in my opinion, I think a Stormtrooper who becomes a Jedi Gaurdian would be sick. But never mind that is a topic for another thread)

In all seriousness though, at this stage in humanity, we shouldn't really treat this as something special. Heck, there was a gay character in one of then new Star Wars books, and it was treated as something normal. (Well, at least from my view.)

Barbas said:
You mean to say that all this time, there hasn't been a single one in the galaxy?

Sure, man. Whatever you say.
Well, it is possible.
Fictional worlds roll with their own rules, who's to say that such a thing even exists.
I mean, of course, that can go for so many, many things.

I bet there is even a fictional universe where toast doesn't even exist.
That people didn't even find a way to cook bread.
I know, a terrible fate, but it is possible.

Plus then you'd have to factor in if humans (and aliens) exist, or if dinosaurs still roam the Earth and found a way to invent social order.

Still, that fucking universe that doesn't have toast... poor buggers.

Bottom line, fiction will fiction. Authors can become a kitten with a ball of yarn in some cases.

EDIT: Although then again, if they don't touch upon the subject, it can fall into the schrodinger's cat paradox. Something can exist and not exist until the author firmly decides the fate of said topic.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Uh, this wouldn't exactly be breaking new ground for Star Wars films. The Clone Wars movie featured Ziro the Hutt, after all.

...Then again, the less said about him, the better...

Let's be honest here; romance has never been a strength of the series, regardless of sexual orientation. Only one of the films made it a central focus, and we all know how well that went over. Even the "genuine" relationship with Han and Leia is corny as hell ("I love you!" "I know").

Call me crazy, but it would probably be best to keep the focus on, you know, the wars in the stars. They can make characters gay/bi/pan/attack helicopter or whatever, just don't dwell on it or make it their defining feature.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
K12 said:
Ian Mckellan is openly gay... "openly" doesn't mean "ostentatiously" it just means that it isn't being actively hidden.
Yes, but that is reality. Hollywood on the other hand treats "openly gay" as "reminding you every other scene said person is gay".

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
K12 said:
Mister K said:
I don't really care, but the wording "openly gay" makes me think that instead of this kind of gay
We'll get something like this
Ian Mckellan is openly gay... "openly" doesn't mean "ostentatiously" it just means that it isn't being actively hidden.

The problem is that you only know the sexuality of a character if it explicitly comes up, which is usually done ostentatiously and in a very obvious way, as a general rule Hollywood isn't known for its subtlety. Think back through the Star Wars films...I think the people you KNOW the sexual orientation of across the seven films (through those films, that is) can probably be counted on your fingers. The rest? They could be anything.

I honestly have no idea how they're going to work it. I mean...its not as if gay people go around with a sign on their head informing the world that they're gay. If you talk to Ian McKellan about his work on Lord of the Rings then you're unlikely to work out that he's gay from that conversation unless it specifically comes up.

I'm kinda hoping its Finn and Poe though. Because the internet reaction would be positively insane. X-D

Edit: And LordLundar ninjad me in a far more concise way than I put it. X-D

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
mad825 said:
And this would make Stars wars better how? Oh yeah, "gay culture" or the "gay community" will throw money at them and no I'm not being sarcastic. I'm all for this progression in society; however, when a group is being exploited by capitalism, I'll stand against it in principle.
How do you define "exploited," mad825? Because if giving people something they want is exploitation, then we're all fucked.

The Material Sheep said:
Why don't you just put it in there, and not make a big deal out of it? I honestly don't understand why people feel the need to announce things like this to the world.
Mr. Abrams was an event where someone explicitly asked him the question. He answered it. It's not like he wrote an unsolicited letter to the Escapist saying, "Please publish a story about how people in Star Wars are gonna be gay."

Bob_McMillan said:
It's the "openly" gay part that has me worried.
Until we see the implementation, I have no reason to believe "openly gay" means anything other than "not something you have to be reading super hard between the lines to spot, like Dumbledore or that woman whose name I forget from the 1959 version of House on Haunted Hill. At worst, I assume it means people who think a gay character acknowledging his own homosexuality is "rubbing it in the audience's face" are people who will be upset.

Brian Tams said:
J.J., you don't get to claim to be the first creative mind to do this in Star Wars.
I missed the part where he said that or anything like it.

Brian Tams said:
Also, why is J.J. acting like he has George Lucas levels of control over Star Wars?
What specific words did he say that even imply that? How is he not just answering a question he knows the answer to?

Nimcha said:
I would totally make my day if that was going to be Rey.
Nah, it's gonna be a gay man. There aren't enough women in the galaxy for a woman to be gay with.

Joking aside, though, I have seen plenty of beautiful women on TV who are attracted to other beautiful women. It's been done, and I'm frankly often suspicious of it given Hollywood's crass shamelessness about trying to exploit female sexuality for money. I hope it's men. Let the gay brothers have some positive representation onscreen.

AstaresPanda said:
Why the fook should it matter?
Why shouldn't it? What about you personally not caring means your tastes are so correct they should be proscribed to everyone else?

People care about things that matter to them. I don't get why anyone should have to justify that to you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
Um, ok? Not really sure it has to be stated in advance - or why this is newsworthy at all.
Because people are having temper tantrums over blacks and women?

mad825 said:
And this would make Stars wars better how?
I know, right? Unlike straight characters, gays need some sort of justification to exist or something. Clearly, this is exploitation because ponies.

Soviet Heavy said:
There have been gays in Star Wars since Juhani in 2003, and Goran Beviin and his husband from like 2007=8. The difference is that theses were never publicized as selling points. They were just sort of there.
The other difference is that these were specified EU, and this article differentiates. It even outright states there have been gay EU characters. And neither has anyone been publicised as selling points. Abrams was asked, and he answered.

Adam Jensen said:
OH NOES! Will somebody please think of the children. The end days are upon us. THE GAY AGENDA IS TAKING STAR WARS FROM US!
You joke, but this has literally been the point of a campaign of Star Wars fans.

I think The Escapist even reported on it a couple years ago, before everyone got riled up over a black stormtrooper.

As long as the movies are good I'm a happy camper.
Pun intended?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
Superb! I'm sure injecting even more political correctness into Star Wars is going to help the movies lots!
Where exactly did they inject the previous "political correctness?" Before or after TFA became the third highest grossing film?

Then again, iuf "there are gays in this film" is "political correctness," Empire was very likely "PC."

thaluikhain said:
While, yes, this shouldn't need to be announced, in that it shouldn't be a big deal, unfortunately in our present society, it still very much is.

Hell, remember when it was a big deal to have a black stormtrooper? Asking "why is this important?" strikes me as a bit naive.
Well, it's not so much being announced as it was asked and answered. This is kind of like whenever Al Sharpton gets paid for his opinion on CNN or MSNBC and people act as though he forced his way into the studio and demanded airtime. Neither are an unsolicited opinion, and both were prompted.

And it's not so much naive as it is a lot of the same people who did that trying to make this something it isn't.

You will see a lot of the people who commented on the black stormtrooper in here.

Fensfield said:
I mean, that's good and all, but surely it's a bit.. 'Hey everyone lookit the gays!'
It's more:

Abrams: inclusivity.
Question: even gays?
Abrams: even gays.

It's not even like this is being paraded about.

JimB said:
How do you define "exploited," mad825? Because if giving people something they want is exploitation, then we're all fucked.
My SO linked me to a now defunct blog once which covered this pretty well. Since it's now defunct, I can't give you an exact quote, but it was something like "only white men featured prominently in movies? Well, of course, they're going to pander to the biggest audience! Women and People of Colour featured prominently in movies? Don't you see they're just pandering to you?"

Straights and whites and men are pandered to constantly in this society, but it's only when someone else is pandered to that it's wrong or exploitation.

But I think the important thing is that someone is here to tell us silly queers that we don't know what's good for us.

At worst, I assume it means people who think a gay character acknowledging his own homosexuality is "rubbing it in the audience's face" are people who will be upset.
I suspect that's the issue, though. There seems to be a push for gay characters you can't tell are gay.

Nah, it's gonna be a gay man. There aren't enough women in the galaxy for a woman to be gay with.
Nah, that's why Phasma's around. I mean, why else would they heavily feature a second named female character from a Star Wars movie in all sorts of media?

Joking aside, though, I have seen plenty of beautiful women on TV who are attracted to other beautiful women. It's been done, and I'm frankly often suspicious of it given Hollywood's crass shamelessness about trying to exploit female sexuality for money. I hope it's men. Let the gay brothers have some positive representation onscreen.
It's Star Wars. I'm not sure anything it does is positive representation. :p

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
JimB said:
Nimcha said:
I would totally make my day if that was going to be Rey.

Oh please let it be Poe Dameron.

And as people (including me in this thread) has said before.

Please, please, PLEASE, don't sledgehammer the point across, and turn Poe into the typical hollywood gay (I know that's a big ask, but one can hope right?).

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Something Amyss said:
I think the important thing is that someone is here to tell us silly queers that we don't know what's good for us.
I thought about adding something to my post about how goddamned disheartening it is to see how many people in this thread had elected themselves censors (in the more classical sense of the term than the one they're probably thinking of) who get to regulate what is and is not good for gay people in terms of representation in media, and how often they seem to think that what's good for gay people is to be quiet almost to the point of silence and still almost to the point of invisibility. I decided not to write it because it depressed me.

Something Amyss said:
Nah, that's why Phasma's around. I mean, why else would they heavily feature a second named female character from a Star Wars movie in all sorts of media?
To sell toys of an antagonist.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Shipping aside, we've already had gay characters. At least four of them.
It seems pretty clear they're talking about the films. Can you name four gay characters in the films?

JimB said:
I thought about adding something to my post about how goddamned disheartening it is to see how many people in this thread had elected themselves censors (in the more classical sense of the term than the one they're probably thinking of) who get to regulate what is and is not good for gay people in terms of representation in media, and how often they seem to think that what's good for gay people is to be quiet almost to the point of silence and still almost to the point of invisibility. I decided not to write it because it depressed me.
Well, I mean, this goes to a larger theme of "it's only censorship when I don't want it." I've made the point recently in threads on the matter that the people who are complaining the loudest about censorship never seemto care when a hot male is covered up, or LGBT individuals are removed from a product.

I mean, if it was a teenage girl being groped, then it'd be cultural marxism to complain about it being included. But since it's gays?

*shrug*

Censorship is okay, I guess.

To sell toys of an antagonist.
That's just silly. Why would girls by action figures?

<..>

<.<

Shut up! I totally don't count!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Not a fan of this, not out of some hatred towards gay people but 'cos a character should be gay 'cos the character is gay, not have a gay character 'cos we need a gay character.

We shouldn't be including people for the sake of including, we should be making well written stories, with well written characters. I like that guy from Mass effect, his partner died and he just happens to drop into the conversation that he is gay ... it's not like he is some hyper camp guy, making it super obvious he is gay. I don't remember them advertising the fact that it would have a gay guy in it, it was just pleasantly dropped into conversation and then nothing more was said about it, which is how I think it should be done.

Things should be done like they don't matter 'cos they shouldn't matter ... like I am not super up to date on the whole Oscar thing but we shouldn't be in a position where we have a token black guy or a token Asian. People should be nominated 'cos they did well and not 'cos they have a certain colour of skin.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
is the character going to be written well, directed well, acted well, and presented well, with character elements that are relevant to the plot?

Yes? Then I don't really care what their sexual orientation is, and will enjoy the well made character.

No? Then I still don't really care what their sexual orientation is, and will be pissed at a poorly crafted character taking up screen time without contributing to the quality of the story.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Technically it's not unfeasible to believe that - even if you only take the 6 films into account - there have been many gay on-screen characters in Star Wars. They just didn't confide it to anyone... and why would they need to; we're talking about a hyper-futuristic interstellar civilization here, one in which (looking at our own progress) homosexuality has likely been considered completely normal for thousands of years.

If it's normal, there's no history of oppression or personal issues to use for a character's arc, which of course means that being gay would barely qualify as a character trait at all. Like being straight, it becomes completely mundane.

What I'm getting at here, is that making romance/sexuality a prominent trait of any character is a recipe for disaster. Hell, romance barely has a place in Star Wars to begin with, especially since they've only managed to pull it off once (the prequels obviously don't count, since what transpired on-screen barely qualified as humans talking to each other, let alone chemistry).