Jack Thompson Threatens Gabe Newell Over School Shooter Mod

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Shouldn't he also be after Bill Gates for making Windows? that's complicit in the creation of this mod, after all.

Then there's all the weapons manufacturers whose guns have been copied for use in the game.

Of course, Thomas Edison's living descendents MUST be liable, as the invention of the lightbulb brought about PC monitors, which are used to display murder simulators.

Lastly, I'd get in tough with the Greek government, as the ancient greeks seem to be the ones guilty of really discovering electricity, and without that we'd all be sitting in cave smacking each other with wooden clubs, instead of pretending to kill each other on screens, and we'd obviously all be far better off.

Ok, I'm all done trying to work out what's going on in that froot loop packed skull of his :D

Honestly, he used to anger me, now just the sight of his vacant stare amuses me.

I think if there was a racially motivated curb stomping by some neo nazi thugs, Jack Thompson would try to blame it on their playing of the Mario games and the jumping on heads based violence it teaches. The man used to be merely unhinged, since he got disbarred he's sunk to full on batshit crazy it seems :D

Without wishing to go all Godwin's Law, Jack Thompson would blame 'Mein Kampf' on the inventor of the pen, if that guy had also made something he didn't like.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
I think Jack is confused:

As you either know or should know, your Half-Life murder simulator was obsessively played, and thus became a training aid, for a) teenaged Robert Steinhauser, who authored at Erfurt, Germany, the worst school shooting massacre in European history, and b) Seung-Hi Cho, who authored at Virginia Tech University the worst school shooting massacre in world history.
How exactly did a mod that came out this year train people in how to commit a school shooting in 2002 and 2007 respectively. Does it have magical time travel powers. I got to say Jack, that is going to be a hard argument to prove.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Jack Thompson is his own brand of terrorist. (Cue Jack Thompson vs. Jack Bauer joke.) Free speech means ALL speech, and any true American doesn't try to change that. But The Constitution is as foreign to him as religious tolerance.

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
The best responce to Jack is the episode of Bullshit about video games which Jack himself actually appeared. The bit where they got a 10 year old who had been playing FPS's under parents supervision to go to a rifle range and actually fire a real weapon and at the very end the reaction of said child should be enough to disprove the FPS are murder simulations to evan the most crazed anti-game vocalist.

The other best result is to just ignore the guy. Angry letters just reinforse the guys belief and reasoned counterpoints are ignored. Basicly it's like arguing with a drunk guy there just isn't a point and you end up looking just as stupid as him.

Jan 27, 2011
Valve should just send him a polite "thank you for your concern, but we have no jurisdiction over mods that use our technology. Please direct your complaints at those making the product you disapprove of. kthanxbai"

Half life, a murder simulator....Hah. *Goes to play half life 2*

Cpu46 said:
Agreed

aijgargbpianh'irngvpbnarainbinrebniarnparnbparinbpanbanbbnajfeinvanra

okay, I'll admit that was me rolling my head against my keyboard because I don't want to break my laptop but I did it with the mind numbing rage and disbelief that I got while reading Jack T's letter.
.......This site needs a like button. It really really does. XD

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's okay, Gabe. He's not a lawyer anymore. Just your usual garden-variety crank. Ignore him, and he will go away. (That last goes for everyone.)

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Yes, yes, Mr. Thompson. You wrote a nice letter to the evil videogame people.

Now take off your tinfoil hat, put your wig back on, and come take your medicine. You get the thorazine today, isn't that nice?

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
DAMNIT! I really REALLY wanted to hate checkerboard studios for this abomination of a game. I will always hate Mr. Tomphson more. So FUCK IT I support Checkboard studios for their obvious pandering and distastful unrefined efforts...

codebulder

Apr 28, 2010
Three things
A. if yur right to free speech allows u to be an ignorant, egotistical, attention seeker then are right says we can make this is game. Even if u think this game has no merit, well there is jack u can do about it ( no pun intended)

B. To be honest i was picked on mercilessly when i was in school and most times people don't see the parts before the shooing starts, this will help lend some knowledge to those who only see the shooting and think it is all the shooters fault going postal. Stop being ignorant and start seeing the truth. To clear up and misconceptions no i am NOT going to go in at gun my class mates down, just wanted to get that out there.

C. Oh game haters party...you had a reservation for a table of....oh...one GG.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Christ in Heaven. I never thought I'd see the day I agree with Jack Thompson. Quick, check outside, is it raining blood? I need to go check my totem.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I think he is just doing this to try and get a job at Fox News...
Entirely probable. He really doesn't seem to know what he's doing. :/ RAGE.

gostlyfantom

Jan 22, 2011
"I hate being right all the time" IS HE FUCKING SERIOUS!!! WHAT THE FUCK, ITS A MOD DIBSHIT, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU *being pulled away from the keyboard* AT LEAST KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THE THINGS YOU ARE PISSING ON, YOU SHOULD G-...*pulled away from keyboard* sorry bout that!

Emo-Hawk

Jul 9, 2008
Any one else waiting for the day that Jack finally snaps and takes a gun to the streets and becomes some sorta Punisher style vigilante but only stopping video game fans from enjoying them selves?

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
The line I love the most is 'or else'.

The only thing I can picture is Jack Thompson going to Valve with a hand gun he'd just purchased and threaten to/simply shoot random people thinking it's their just reward.

You know what I would prefer though? Jack should sit down and play Doom/GTA/whatever then, we take him to a shooting range. "For every point you score on this target, we will donate $10 to charity" (Remember, a bullseye is something like 100 points)
Tell him "you aren't allowed to practice for this at all with a real gun, however you can practice as much as you like with 'murder simulators'." The purpose is simply to show shooting a real gun is nothing like in games.

Oh and just to be evil... *cough* no piss weak little 9mm hand guns. Dessert Eagle or even just any other gun with a high calibre is what has to be used.