Jaffe: Games Industry Needs to Get Over Itself

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I'll take his word for it when I finally play a Twisted Metal game I enjoy or actually looking at his resume, any game of his I enjoy.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I have a feeling that Michael Bay would get along incredibly well with this guy.

Morgan3rd

Mar 16, 2010
I wonder which games he is referring to. So long as complex messages in games aren't intrusive I don't have a problem with that. See: left 4 dead. Simple, passive, and eat what you want storytelling.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
FloodOne said:
tkioz said:
I agree with him, I'm suck sick of the bullshit games like Heavy Rain and Alan Wake that are almost ashamed to be games... If a game's not fun it's failed, I don't give a shit how pretty it is, if you're not having fun, it sucks.
I had a lot of fun with Heavy Rain and Alan Wake, but almost none during Gears of War or Modern Warfare 2.

Therefore, Gears and CoD suck!!

You should take Jaffe's advice and get over yourself too.
There is a difference between taste (I don't like FPS games, I prefer RPGs or RTS games) and "products" that are ashamed to be games like Heavy Rain "interactive experience" my ass.

warmonkey

Dec 2, 2009
SonOfIkaros said:
I really need some examples here... What "Artsy Fartsy" games are he talking about, exactly? Most games that try to be artistic pull it off rather well, if you ask me. I don't think enough games try to be artistic. Am I missing something here?
Well, I'd say the Final Fantasy series. Starting with 7 they decided they're much less interested in making games and really think it's awesome to make bad-story-and-weird-fetish delivery vehicles. that's artsy-fartsy.

Heavy Rain has been mentioned, there's another one.

Artsy-Fartsy, in my opinion, means any game where neat-o graphics and fanfic storyline are what the developers focus on, and by which the actual playing of the game suffers so we can gobble down more of their pointless artwork and shitty swiss cheese plots. Games that forget they're supposed to be PLAYED and think that they need to prove that, gosh, games can be art! And as soon as they head out the door on their way to proving that point, promptly jettison the parts of making a game that actually are making a game and instead pack only the pretentiousness of fanfic and fanart creators. just great.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
The DSM said:
I can think of one person in the gaming industry who needs to get over them selves..

Their name begins with J and ends in affe.

I know the dude has an opinion, but he doesnt have to tell everyone his...
He's not really telling us his opinion this time, he was answering a question a fan asked him on Twitter and it got picked up as news.

That said, I have to agree with him. There is no problem in trying to appear artistic so long as the game doesn't suffer for it.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'll have a moderately competent artsy fartsy game over an incredibly well made generic shooter any day.

But please don't stop making your generic shooters over me, nooo. That'll kill the industry, right?

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
More Fun To Compute said:
Jaffe said:
Dear Destructoid commenters: I didn't say I hated artistic games OR narrative games. I hate ARTY-FARTY games. There is a difference.

ARTY-FARTY= pretentious, dull, surface bullshit without really understanding the craft of game design or emotion/storytelling.
This quote I can agree with. As for everyone saying it's "all about gameplay". Its not JUST about gameplay. It's about the overall experience. The gameplay, story, graphics, and sound all need to mix together nicely to create the best experience possible. I'm sure that all of you saying "its only about gameplay" are extremely unintelligent twats who are either stuck in the 80's when all video games could do was gameplay or an FPS playing tosser who only cares about multiplayer and how many people you can murder in games.

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
JackRyan64 said:
This quote I can agree with. As for everyone saying it's "all about gameplay". Its not JUST about gameplay. It's about the overall experience. The gameplay, story, graphics, and sound all need to mix together nicely to create the best experience possible. I'm sure that all of you saying "its only about gameplay" are extremely unintelligent twats who are either stuck in the 80's when all video games could do was gameplay or an FPS playing tosser who only cares about multiplayer and how many people you can murder in games.
Smash Brothers? Wii Sports? Because really what else do those games have going for them?

warmonkey

Dec 2, 2009
JackRyan64 said:
I'm sure that all of you saying "its only about gameplay" are extremely unintelligent twats who are either stuck in the 80's when all video games could do was gameplay or an FPS playing tosser who only cares about multiplayer and how many people you can murder in games.

Y'see, here's the thing. Games are supposed to be fun to play. Not fun to listen to, that's music. Not fun to watch, that's movies, or, yanno, traditional art or something.

Take a look at the recent terrible special-effect-extravaganzas that have hit the box office. Exactly how much fun is it to watch a TEERRRRIIIIBBBLLE movie with good effects? I don't know, but I've seen SW:Ep1-3, and I sorta think the answer is "not at all fun".

Games aren't any different. You can dress a bad game up any way you like, it's still a BAD GAME. Any time you sacrifice good gameplay for good graphics, YOU'RE JUST MAKING YOUR GAME BAD. That is not a decision that should ever be made. Period. There's absolutely no discussion on this. It's completely comparable to movies in this regard, and I think that's something that's been long-settled. Bad movies with neat effects are about as interesting as watching a powerpoint presentation of some art nerd's portfolio. Sure, neat stuff, but still YAWN.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
warmonkey said:
JackRyan64 said:
I'm sure that all of you saying "its only about gameplay" are extremely unintelligent twats who are either stuck in the 80's when all video games could do was gameplay or an FPS playing tosser who only cares about multiplayer and how many people you can murder in games.

Y'see, here's the thing. Games are supposed to be fun to play. Not fun to listen to, that's music. Not fun to watch, that's movies, or, yanno, traditional art or something.
Your point there is debatable. I'd argue that point and click games such as Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Longest Journey etc (the last one happens to be my favourite game) thrive despite having gameplay one wouldn't describe as fun. It's the story and characters that make the game worthwhile.

The games industry is huge and lots of different facets. There's space for purely visual experiences as well as more gameplay orientated products.

That being said I share Jaffe's rage over certain obnoxious 'art' games. Particularly anything by tale of tales. There's a huge difference between art and 'arty' I think.

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
Racthoh said:
Smash Brothers? Wii Sports? Because really what else do those games have going for them?
Wii Sports has absolutely nothing going for it. It's shallow even on its own, and no amount of dressing could possibly save it. Smash Bros is all about fanservice, so it needs the cosmetic stuff like graphics and sound to be a fun experience. And what do you know, it has that stuff.

warmonkey said:
I understand what you're saying, and I know it can't be ALL graphics and sound, but they're still vital IN ADDITION to great game design to make the best experience possible.

Consider Shadow of the Colossus. Would that game be nearly as memorable without the plot, the great soundtrack, or the beautiful art design? It'd still be a damn fine game, but it was made even better by all of the other things mentioned. Would Portal be as beloved without GLaDOS's wit? Would Braid be as memorable without its gorgeous art? These would still be solid games without either, but because the other elements were present they were even better. I still stand by that every aspect of a video game needs to come together to provide the most memorable experiences.

Oh and...

Zing said:
Yesss. Shit like Flower needs to go away forever.
You need to go away forever. Just saying.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Jaffe later said that there was a difference between the "artsy fartsy" games he hated so much and games that were actually artistic.
The difference being... his own personal opinion? I'm sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either you think games need to stop being artsy, or you're okay with developers trying something artistic. Maybe he has a legit reason, and I'd like to hear it, but otherwise you can't say "Games need to stop being artsy... oh except for that game, because I like it, so it's okay for that game to be artsy, but no one else is allowed."

warmonkey

Dec 2, 2009
JackRyan64 said:
Consider Shadow of the Colossus ... Portal ...
SotC really didn't much plot -- what it did have could be summed up in a good sentence or two, really. No more than a paragraph. Portal was the same way, and that one I can sum up in a sentence: You're trapped in a series of training rooms by a computer which gradually reveals itself to be evil, at which point you break out and defeat it.
Portal really doesn't get in to more plot than that. Who are you? Where did you come from? What about all the people? None of that actually matters, so there's no point in drawing you away from the game for some boring exposition. Where did *Mario* come from, for that matter?

I'm not saying good music, good art, and good storytelling have no place in games.. but overwhelmingly it seems new games try to make their music, art, and plot good but forget they're making a *game*. If at any point more care is taken to make a scene pretty than making it fun to play, well, game failure. A good game can stand on its own two feet, without needing anything else, but good gameplay is the soul of a game. Ya lose that, or sight of that, well why the hell are you making a game? Make a movie! Gameplay's fun? Well then, get to work making it sound nice and look pretty -- just so long as at no point does any of that ruin the fun you have playing the game.

Grey Carter said:
Your point there is debatable. I'd argue that point and click games such as Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Longest Journey etc (the last one happens to be my favourite game) thrive despite having gameplay one wouldn't describe as fun. It's the story and characters that make the game worthwhile.
I've been tossing this one around for a while and I think you're right. They're fun games to play, but I don't know if the gameplay itself is fun.
There's really not many of those sort of games that have become classics, though.. so I think that it might be a case where a lot of care was taken to make everything really good, all around.
Dunno. They did make you think, though, and that's pretty nice. When's the last time a game actually made you think through a solution to a problem like those games did? 'cause.. I can't really think of much.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
JackRyan64 said:
Gameplay is the main, fundamental part of the video game. I don't know why you are looking down your nose at 80s games. They were restricted by technology but in terms of coming up with new gameplay and creating exciting game worlds the best ones were pretty amazing.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Did he give any examples of "artsy fartsy"?
Otherwise, he just seems like a sensationalist git.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
warmonkey said:
SonOfIkaros said:
I really need some examples here... What "Artsy Fartsy" games are he talking about, exactly? Most games that try to be artistic pull it off rather well, if you ask me. I don't think enough games try to be artistic. Am I missing something here?
Well, I'd say the Final Fantasy series. Starting with 7 they decided they're much less interested in making games and really think it's awesome to make bad-story-and-weird-fetish delivery vehicles. that's artsy-fartsy.

Heavy Rain has been mentioned, there's another one.

Artsy-Fartsy, in my opinion, means any game where neat-o graphics and fanfic storyline are what the developers focus on, and by which the actual playing of the game suffers so we can gobble down more of their pointless artwork and shitty swiss cheese plots. Games that forget they're supposed to be PLAYED and think that they need to prove that, gosh, games can be art! And as soon as they head out the door on their way to proving that point, promptly jettison the parts of making a game that actually are making a game and instead pack only the pretentiousness of fanfic and fanart creators. just great.
Ah, those are some pretty good examples actually. And you've got a valid point, a game is, after all, a game, not a painting. It should first and foremost be entertaining to the player, and with most people it's the gameplay that they find entertaining.

However, I think we should also consider that different people are attracted to different things in games. Many people will play a game with mediocre, or even bad, gameplay if it has an amazing story and completely unique characters/character arks. Obviously something like this doesn't appeal to everyone, but that's just the point, it's not supposed to. People who want extraordinarily fun and fast-paced gameplay will naturally like different kinds of games, like Jaffe's own Twisted Metal series.
Likewise, I'm sure there are people who would play a game simply because of it's artistic graphics/atmosphere. I don't find Braid's gameplay all that entertaining, not compared to some of my other favorite games, but the atmosphere and the artistic layout of the game is more than enough to make up for it. Add to that the ethereal and other-worldly feel the game's story has, and you've got yourself one of these so-called "artsy-fartsy games", though it's one I like a whole lot.

The point is, I think, that different strokes appeal to different folks. People look for different kinds of things in games and that's just as it should be. There'll always be companies that prioritize graphics and atmosphere, and then there'll be companies to prioritize gameplay. The most awesome thing is when a company combines those two aspects, though, and create a game that is wholly unique in several ways. A shame such games are hard to come by.

Sorry, that got a bit long. I have a bad habit of letting myself go with these sorts of things, I'm afraid.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
...gameplay was more more important than art.
Whoever said this is an idiot. In game design, gameplay is the art. Anyone who thinks that art and gameplay are two separate things is stupid.