Jailbreak your iphone? Apple "Traitorware" soon to take care of that!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
What the balls? How can they be allowed to do this? It's no longer illegal, and you're also having pictures taken of you when you don't want them to. What if you're doing something quite private?

Hearing about this and ACTA has brought my mood down a lot...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tomtom94 said:
So let me get this straight.

People are pirating the iPhone and violating their license.
Apple want to stop people violating the license as it is illegal.

And this is considered a bad thing?
No.

People are voiding the warranty within the bounds of the law, thus allowing Flash and homebrew apps on their iPhone.

Thus, Apple is MONITORING YOUR HEARTBEAT and TAKING YOUR PICTURE and RECORDING YOUR VOICE WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

THAT'S a bad thing.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Okay okay wait, lets see this

- They can take an unauthorized photo of me (kind of illegal, but okay)
- They can record my voice without my approval (kind of illegal... But meh)
- They can take a picture of the environment (look at the pretty squirrel... Seriously, my itunes account has my city in it jackasses)
- They can moniter my interet usage (I mean if they REALLY wanna see something, I'll make sure to go to embarassing sites)
- THey can recird my heartbeat... Um..... Why would they do that?
- And what do they consider to be suspicious behaviour? Find a way to 100% figure out if the dervice is hacked, don't work on maybes

I am all for people NOT hacking their products. Hell, I buy CDs to support artists. I don't like the idea of hacking my PS3 or someone having a hacked 360. It's no different than replicating copyright material. HOWEVER this is too fucking far...
People have to hack the PS3 if they need to use it for scientific research because the newest updates don't allow Linux to be run on it. So over 300 research institutes, including the US Air Force can't run their simulations and calcualtions.
Sony's selling point was that you could run Linux on it aswell.

More to the point of privacy, what if you work at a research facility and Apple steals information that way?
I'm pretty sure the U.S. Air Force can get permission to hack a PS3, I'm talking about hacking it for free games and shit. If you absolutely need crucial research, then I can understand. As I said, I buy CDs and I don't download from the net, I pay money for the music I listen to. I do the same thing for games.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
I don't think companies realise that once you've bought a product it's yours, not theirs. How bad will we let this get before we start having every call recorded, every website visit noted and every movement tracked? We aren't far off it.
With ACTA being passed, 'not far off' is less than a month.

Alex Ford

Oct 27, 2009
This is quite a crazy patent, one that I wonder if Apple seriously thought they would get through.

Though the posts here seem to have missed a crucial part of information, this patent has not been accepted (yet), Apple are not doing this, or have even said they are going to do this, they are simply applying for a patent.
Apple already has a patent that is designed to make every pixel in a screen a camera, yet you don't see MacBooks with insane HD webcams do you?

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
I'm pretty sure the U.S. Air Force can get permission to hack a PS3, I'm talking about hacking it for free games and shit. If you absolutely need crucial research, then I can understand. As I said, I buy CDs and I don't download from the net, I pay money for the music I listen to. I do the same thing for games.
It's perfectly legal for any american, since the court case, to "hack" their own devices. Also it has nothing to do with piracy. It's illegal to use pirated software, it's not illegal to be able to do so.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
It's perfectly legal for any american, since the court case, to "hack" their own devices. Also it has nothing to do with piracy. It's illegal to use pirated software, it's not illegal to be able to do so.
My post is dealing with taste and opinion, not legality. I meantioned that it is wrong to hack and get free stuff, when you should pay for it. Someone else mentioned some people HAVE to hack the PS3 (Air Force is still a good example of this) and it's understandable, but hacking it to get free games is just fucking stupid.

Man up, get a fucking job, stop whining about the price of games and buy them you whiney ***** (I would like to mention that this isn't pointed at you, but the people who hack their gaming systems)

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
My post is dealing with taste and opinion, not legality. I meantioned that it is wrong to hack and get free stuff, when you should pay for it. Someone else mentioned some people HAVE to hack the PS3 (Air Force is still a good example of this) and it's understandable, but hacking it to get free games is just fucking stupid.

Man up, get a fucking job, stop whining about the price of games and buy them you whiney ***** (I would like to mention that this isn't pointed at you, but the people who hack their gaming systems)
Imagine for a second that I own an original Xbox (I don't anymore but I know how the system works, and I don't really know how this new PS3 thing works). I see an app like XBMC and figure "Hey, why don't I turn my Xbox into a HTPC that plays Xbox games?" The old Xbox+modchip had FTP support so I could install a bigger HDD and then transfer all my images, music and movies (legally optained of course) to it and watch or listen to it without leaving the couch.

This used to be at best (for the user) a grey area and is now legal. Running pirated software and media is still illegal if you don't own an original copy.

It has less to do with morals and more to do with rights. Also I doubt US AF has to ask Sony about anything ;)

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

Imagine for a second that I own an original Xbox (I don't anymore but I know how the system works, and I don't really know how this new PS3 thing works). I see an app like XBMC and figure "Hey, why don't I turn my Xbox into a HTPC that plays Xbox games?" The old Xbox+modchip had FTP support so I could install a bigger HDD and then transfer all my images, music and movies (legally optained of course) to it and watch or listen to it without leaving the couch.

This used to be at best (for the user) a grey area and is now legal. Running pirated software and media is still illegal if you don't own an original copy.

It has less to do with morals and more to do with rights. Also I doubt US AF has to ask Sony about anything ;)
I assume you mean an XBOX that plays 360 game at which point... Nope.. I still think it's wrong. I could care less if it's LEGAL to turn your XBOX into a 360 through mods. Again, without malice to you specifically. Get off your ass and buy a fucking 360. You want to play a PS3 game? Buy the game. You want a PS2 that plays PS3 games? Buy the PS3... I could care less what the state says is legal.

It is legal to crush animals beneath your feet as a sexual fetish video. LIVE animals. Is it right? No. So being legal doesn't make it right...

I can understand people have the RIGHT to mod their systems, but their still a bunch of whiney fucks who don't want to pay for something they SHOULD pay for. If you want to transfer your music and you're just looking for a way to move files over, I could care less. When you're using it as a way of evading payment, then it's wrong.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

I assume you mean an XBOX that plays 360 game at which point... Nope.. I still think it's wrong. I could care less if it's LEGAL to turn your XBOX into a 360 through mods. Again, without malice to you specifically. Get off your ass and buy a fucking 360. You want to play a PS3 game? Buy the game. You want a PS2 that plays PS3 games? Buy the PS3... I could care less what the state says is legal.

It is legal to crush animals beneath your feet as a sexual fetish video. LIVE animals. Is it right? No. So being legal doesn't make it right...

I can understand people have the RIGHT to mod their systems, but their still a bunch of whiney fucks who don't want to pay for something they SHOULD pay for. If you want to transfer your music and you're just looking for a way to move files over, I could care less. When you're using it as a way of evading payment, then it's wrong.
You assume wrong. I meant the original (1st generation) Xbox with original (1st generation) Xbox games as mod-wise it was far more capable then the 360. And it's not wrong, and to me I can't see why it should have ever been. I bought it after all.

AFAIK it's not legal to torture animals, but if they are killed humanly it's legal and if they are killed swiftly I, personally, don't see a problem either as I was raised on a farm and have killed and skinned animals before. It's also not illegal to ride a horse or even a pig if you would as long as you aren't hurting the animal.
I don't know what sexual fetish you are talking about and where it takes place and what animal is "crushed" in the process. Also in my country zoophilia is legal as long as you aren't physically hurting the animal. It might offend you, it does disgust me, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.

If I modify my ceiling fan to rotate faster or angle the blades differently it's not illegal, I don't see why modifying a console into a HTPC, renderfarm or supercomputer should be any different. A modified Xbox (1) or a PS3 running linux for the US AF doesn't even use the same OS as it did originally.

And yes piracy is and should be illegal.

Edit:
It's NOT illegal to ride a horse :D

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Hateren47 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

You assume wrong. I meant the original (1st generation) Xbox with original (1st generation) Xbox games as mod-wise it was far more capable then the 360. And it's not wrong, and to me I can't see why it should have ever been. I bought it after all.

AFAIK it's not legal to torture animals, but if they are killed humanly it's legal and if they are killed swiftly I, personally, don't see a problem either as I was raised on a farm and have killed and skinned animals before. It's also not illegal to ride a horse or even a pig if you would as long as you aren't hurting the animal.
I don't know what sexual fetish you are talking about and where it takes place and what animal is "crushed" in the process. Also in my country zoophilia is legal as long as you aren't physically hurting the animal. It might offend you, it does disgust me, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.

If I modify my ceiling fan to rotate faster or angle the blades differently it's not illegal, I don't see why modifying a console into a HTPC, renderfarm or supercomputer should be any different. A modified Xbox (1) or a PS3 running linux for the US AF doesn't even use the same OS as it did originally.

And yes piracy is and should be illegal.

Edit:
It's NOT illegal to ride a horse :D
You are getting away from the point. You speak about buying something legally, and modifying it to get a different effect. That is fine. I have no issues. Ceiling fans is beating a dead horse... I'm talking about modding your system to play games in which YOU HAVE NO PAID FOR. If I buy a PS3, let us assume it cannot play music at first, and I mod it to play music, that is fine. I'm talking about modding for piracy reasons.

Also, look up crush videos, which are LEGAL. They are videos of women stepping on live and helpess animals in nothing but shoes or barefoot. THis is animal cruelty, there WAS a law against it, the law was dropped. It is legal to crush animals bodies and broadcast a video of it, and it's not done humanely :D

THere was a man a while ago arrested for selling videos of pit bulls fighting. He was imprisoned. He claimed that theywere for educational purposes. One was the pit bull fighting a dog, it was a video form Japan where dog fighting is legal. The other was a pit bull ripping a pig apart. He claimed it showed how the dog hunted. He was let free

You tell me animal cruelty is illegal when you can legally sell the shit

Apr 5, 2009
What the fuck is this? I'm happy I don't have an iPhone. I will now never get one. They're going to be fucking spying on you. Have fun with that.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
It sounds like Apple is trying to run some kind of monarchy. They shouldn't have the ability to do this. Things like this are part of the reason I bought an Android phone instead.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
You are getting away from the point. You speak about buying something legally, and modifying it to get a different effect. That is fine. I have no issues. Ceiling fans is beating a dead horse... I'm talking about modding your system to play games in which YOU HAVE NO PAID FOR. If I buy a PS3, let us assume it cannot play music at first, and I mod it to play music, that is fine. I'm talking about modding for piracy reasons.
That's not what this topic is about though. It's about Apple being dicks.
Also, look up crush videos, which are LEGAL. They are videos of women stepping on live and helpess animals in nothing but shoes or barefoot. THis is animal cruelty, there WAS a law against it, the law was dropped. It is legal to crush animals bodies and broadcast a video of it, and it's not done humanely :D

THere was a man a while ago arrested for selling videos of pit bulls fighting. He was imprisoned. He claimed that theywere for educational purposes. One was the pit bull fighting a dog, it was a video form Japan where dog fighting is legal. The other was a pit bull ripping a pig apart. He claimed it showed how the dog hunted. He was let free

You tell me animal cruelty is illegal when you can legally sell the shit
These things would be illegal to participate in, document for intended distribution, own and sell in most civilised parts of the world. It certainly is here.