James Cameron Rips Into Piranha 3D

Abanic

Jul 26, 2010
3-D is a gimmick to increase the profits of the movie, they get to charge an extra 3-5 bucks for crappy glasses.

Would Godfather be any better in 3-D, or Twelve Angry Men, or Goodfellas? No. Dramas would receive no major boost from being in 3-D. There are a few genres that might benefit from from 3-D:
1) 'spectacle' movies and documentaries where the environment is just as (or more) important as the story (Lawrence of Arabia, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, LIFE)
2) Movies that 3-D adds to the tongue-in-cheek or nonsensical atmosphere (Piranha, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland)
Naturally, all of those movies are NOT in 3-D, my point is simply that they might be cool in 3-D (proactively stopped the trolls).

3-D has limited application, it is a tool that the director can use to immerse the audience in the story, it's not a renaissance in the motion picture industry.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
crimson5pheonix said:
HEY! Jackass will be interesting...
I admit I may be wrong about Jackass 3D. I liked the first two. It's the "3D" aspect I'm worried about. How can you possibly film a film like Jackass in 3D? It's like a lot of other low-quality 3D films; some moments will just have the "obligatory moment to show off the 3D regardless of how out of place it is." That being said, this could be like Piranha; actually using 3D in a way that makes the movie a little better.

agentironman

Sep 22, 2009
Piranha in 3D is fine. After all Cameron's second directed film was Piranha 2. The whole point of 3D is to have things jump out at you, Piranha seem to be perfect for jumping out at audiences.

Cameron is full of himself and he hasn't made a good movie since the Abyss.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I am Omega said:
crimson5pheonix said:
HEY! Jackass will be interesting...
I admit I may be wrong about Jackass 3D. I liked the first two. It's the "3D" aspect I'm worried about. How can you possibly film a film like Jackass in 3D? It's like a lot of other low-quality 3D films; some moments will just have the "obligatory moment to show off the 3D regardless of how out of place it is." That being said, this could be like Piranha; actually using 3D in a way that makes the movie a little better.
I don't know. They already have several scenes in the other movies that would work with it. Like when they stand on a ... half pipe(?) with a lexan barrier in front of the camera and they ride down into the lexan. And whenever they do anything that launches them, it might be fun to have depth of field.

Apr 17, 2009
Hey Cameron, what does your colon look like? Since you've got your head shoved up your own ass and all.

I don't see how 3D magically makes a film better. Avatar's story was a well-trodden one, the film was average at best. Making it so thing stand out more is not going to change that

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What's wrong James?

Afraid Piranha 3D going to expose your gimmick for what it really is?

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
3D doesn't belong to James Cameron, therefore he can't criticize a movie for using a piece of technology that he has contributed exactly ONE title to the overall catalog.

Avatar wasn't all that good anyway. Looked awesome, but was up it's own ass with a ham-handed message about respecting nature, or simpler cultures, or blue-tittied chicks.

Piranha is EXACTLY the kind of movie that should be created for the spectacle that is 3D movies...and that's what it is, spectacle.

EDIT: Click here for one of the best Avatar reviews ever! [http://redlettermedia.com/avatar.html]

Kandon Arc

Mar 10, 2009
So Cameron's biased because he was kicked off Piranha 2, but the writer of this article isn't biased despite having friends in the film and living near where it was filmed? Am I missing some deeply ironic joke here?

OT: I don't really have an opinion either way here. On the one hand, Cameron is trying to make 3D an integral and respected part of the film industry and movies like this are counterproductive to that end. On the other, people seem to be really enjoying this film so it would appear that people like the 'jump out of the screen' type of 3D.

I do wonder why Cameron's getting so much hate to be honest though. Someone asked his opinion about this film and he gave it, don't really see a problem with that.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
You know James Cameron's first directed movie was actually Piranha part 2 back in the seventies.
I wonder if he's just mad because it reminds him of a past he'd rather forget.

Still, as it stands, I disagree with him. I think that he missed the point, Piranha was meant to be a cheesy moment of self parody and a reminder of those old B movies of the past. I think that there is room for both 'depth' 3D and the silly stuff too.

Remember it's the silly gimmicky monster movies that are the reason 3D ever existed.

EDIT: I admit though, I think some of his points may well be valid.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Oh cameron can go have fun wasting people's money and time with another crappy rip off of other movies.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008

basically the movie is like a video game that focuses itself all on its graphics by sacrificing story and gamepla-well ok nvm about that last part but you get the point haha (i.e. why as a "gamer" I tried not to get too hyped by the visuals alone...even if it IS a movie...eh)

Cali0602

Aug 3, 2008
3D always should be used to bring subtle effects across an already good movie that can stand on its own. Think of a movie you enjoyed. Now think of that same movie with a few 3D visuals (maybe some shattered glass rolls a couple inches towards you). Does it make the movie revolutionary? No. But it adds a nice subtlety to it that would otherwise go missed.

3D is really the last step in the visual realm of entertainment. Beyond that we still need to work on implementing scent and touch in movies.

Piranha (figured I'd tie the reply to the post title somewhere).

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
Kandon Arc said:
So Cameron's biased because he was kicked off Piranha 2, but the writer of this article isn't biased despite having friends in the film and living near where it was filmed? Am I missing some deeply ironic joke here?

OT: I don't really have an opinion either way here. On the one hand, Cameron is trying to make 3D an integral and respected part of the film industry and movies like this are counterproductive to that end. On the other, people seem to be really enjoying this film so it would appear that people like the 'jump out of the screen' type of 3D.

I do wonder why Cameron's getting so much hate to be honest though. Someone asked his opinion about this film and he gave it, don't really see a problem with that.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you very much kind patron.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
And Avatar wasn't the last scrap in the barrel for the whole Dances with Wolves plot? It was honestly nothing more The Last Samurai in space.... Cameron needs to get his head out of his ass. Avatar was decent, but the only thing special about it was the 3D. Take away that and it's very eh....

(I own the regular DVD version, it's not very good without 3D)

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
No no no James, sir, Avatar is also an example of it. 3D is basically useless anyways since you get used to it after 10 minutes and it looks 2D again. Admittedly, piranha 3D looks like a jump out and get you "ooh look what dis fish do" kind of movie, but all 3D movies are like that to an extent.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
Revelo said:
I lost respect for Cameron after he sacrificed good storytelling for spectacle. I'd much rather enjoy Aliens or Terminator over Titanic and Avatar anyway.
Yes, let us never speak of the latter again.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
No!

What we should be doing is forcing the same film we saw like last year, back into the cinema with "added bonus scenes".

I hate you Cameron. Go away now.
Indeed.

Aliens is without a doubt the best thing even remotely connected to the AVP franchise.

everything else he has made?

please burn, cameron.